PDA

View Full Version : Open letter to the Devs

Gfunc88
12-03-2012, 08:15 AM
Dear ACIII Devs,

I wanted to give you some feedback, and hope that this letter finds its way to someone who cares.

I have been a devoted AC gamer since the first one hit. I ran around collecting flags and feathers and assassinating all sorts of behind the scenes templar baddies. The last two games with Ezio I maxed out my multiplayer characters and retired both games at level 50.

I am now a 34 year old gamer with 3 kids and a business now, and haven't found as much time to play as I would like.

My major gripe about AC 3 is how big the game is. I understand that you are going for realistic and everything has to be to scale, down to bricks and planks. But, here's the thing - I don't want to spend 10 minutes (real life minutes, mind you) travelling from one end of the map to the other. I am curious to how the developer meetings went, where you decided it would be FUN to make the gamer travel. Seriously?

Come on guys. You are losing touch on what makes AC fun. I don't want to have to steer the horse on the road to get to the next exclimation point anymore. It used to be running on churches and rooftops. We can't do that any more - the game is too big. Please come back a little bit. Remember what makes the games fun is the strategy, the story, the free running on rooftops, not the mindless gallopping and plodding through snow.

Other than that, so far so good. I wish I could dedicate more hours to gaming like I used to. I'm only 10 hours in to AC3, and it's been out for a while, I know I'm behind. I love the games and I'll finish it, but I'm having a hard time because I feel like I am wasting time just going from one destination to another...

Best,

Gfunc88

NOLA_Assassin
12-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Tree climbing and fast travel bro.

E-Zekiel
12-03-2012, 08:47 AM
Fast travel and use horses.

I'm sorry you don't like traveling, but I for one actually do like it. Yes, I realize I'm a minority, but I like that once in awhile I get a little catering to me. I like big worlds, I like traveling and exploring, I like a world actually FEELING big.

Assassin_M
12-03-2012, 08:49 AM

I'm sorry you don't like traveling, but I for one actually do like it. Yes, I realize I'm a minority, but I like that once in awhile I get a little catering to me. I like big worlds, I like traveling and exploring, I like a world actually FEELING big.
I like it too :|

You are not alone

Farlander1991
12-03-2012, 08:52 AM
Hell, I've probably spent hours just viewing the life of the homesteaders... the priest reading the letter to Godfrey that his brother has died... Doctor telling Norris that the mineral he found is indeed rare and valuable in these parts and Myriam being happy for Norris (that was during their 'friendship' stage)... Big Dave telling Terry what he thinks about the conscript system with funny analogies... and many other nice little moments that are so easy to miss if you just fast travel everywhere and don't pay attention to surroundings. But to each his own, I guess. I can understand that time to play may be limited, but, really, as was previously mentioned - both the frontier and the cities have plenty of fast travel options.

AT ONE SIR
12-03-2012, 08:59 AM
I like the travel as well, and this is my first AC game and I am an older, lifelong gamer. I think its the best game I have ever played. And yeah, fast travel, and horses.

I am busy and have commitments too, but see it as getting more out of my game investment. So much is rushed these days, this game actually allows me to sit down and slow down a bit. Take my time. Spend a session just hunting, you'll see what I mean. Finish the game, then think about all the value you got for your purchase. Not many other things can give you that much entertainment for $60.

I've also been enjoying the MP until the DLC comes out. Way slower pace, and such a breath of fresh air. I say it again:

AC3: Best. Game. Ever.

PJ_28
12-03-2012, 09:07 AM
I like it too :|

You are not alone

Me too.The bigger the better.

There's always fast travel if your in a hurry. (If they actually fix the fast travel in the frontier.)

SweetsMachineGun
12-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Gonna chime in and say I really liked travel too. Sorry, dude. :') I rarely even used fast travel cause I loved roaming around the homestead.

MasterAssasin84
12-03-2012, 10:54 AM
I am sure ubi are really going to consider this letter :rolleyes: There are plenty of ways to fast travel, me personaly i love the opened world gameplay its so refreshing and i love the freedom ! not forgetting during them 10 minutes as mentioned in the letter i can do a spot of hunting and ambush some templar convoys ect !!

Not really valid feedback in my eyes .

Assassin_M
12-03-2012, 10:58 AM
I am sure ubi are really going to consider this letter :rolleyes: There are plenty of ways to fast travel, me personaly i love the opened world gameplay its so refreshing and i love the freedom ! not forgetting during them 10 minutes as mentioned in the letter i can do a spot of hunting and ambush some templar convoys ect !!

Not really valid feedback in my eyes .
Eh well It`s an Opinion...He made points for it, was constructive and polite. It`s Valid;)

MasterAssasin84
12-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Eh well It`s an Opinion...He made points for it, was constructive and polite. It`s Valid;)

The point i am making is that before ubi launched the game they clearly stated that the scale of the game was very ambitious, and correct me if i am wrong but isnt the freedom to roam in Assassins Creed a major thing.

ProdiGurl
12-03-2012, 12:40 PM
I'm totally confused, there is fast travel everywhere - just click over a Harbormaster symbol and you go right to that area on the map that's closest to your destination (like within a city).
Do some underground exploring & open up new fast travel points within cities too.
Come on. I rarely hear people complaining about how much there is to do in a game either.
??????????
Truly, everyone cannot be pleased by any 1 game. No matter what Ubi/devs do, someone's griping about it - even when it's good.
Sorry to be harsh here, but I'm just left shaking my head sometimes - some folks should stick to buying puzzles.

>> http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20120411.419/images/UbiTheme/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Assassin_M http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20120411.419/images/UbiTheme/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php?p=8758448#post8758448)
Eh well It`s an Opinion...He made points for it, was constructive and polite. It`s Validhttp://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20120411.419/images/smilies/wink.png
<<
It was all that, but I don't view it as valid criticism because it was inaccurate - - there's plenty of fast travel to cut travel time and unless the good points of what make a game title unique (AC is known for its large maps/environment and gamelength... at least up until ACR which was shortest) are now negative aspects of AC?

MasterAssasin84
12-03-2012, 12:43 PM
I'm totally confused, there is fast travel everywhere - just click over a Harbormaster symbol and you go right to that area on the map that's closest to your destination (like within a city).
Do some underground exploring & open up new fast travel points within cities too.
Come on. I rarely hear people complaining about how much there is to do in a game either.
??????????
Truly, everyone cannot be pleased by any 1 game. No matter what Ubi/devs do, someone's griping about it - even when it's good.
Sorry to be harsh here, but I'm just left shaking my head sometimes.

It amazes me to be honest i mean do you not prefer the massive open world gameplay ?? because i certainly do lol .

ProdiGurl
12-03-2012, 01:08 PM
It amazes me to be honest i mean do you not prefer the massive open world gameplay ?? because i certainly do lol .

If these are his complaints, I pray he doesn't get RDR. :-0 lol
I have to take a guess that this customer didn't do any 'homework' on AC ? It's like asking Valve to make the Portal series a no-brainer FPS. :confused:
I feel bad, this OP sounds like a really nice guy & I truly appreciate that he was polite and considerate, but eek. It hurts me to see the best parts about ANY game get bagged on as a negative aspect.
It gets enough criticism for the problems it does have. :nonchalance:

Paribissee
12-03-2012, 01:23 PM

This! I love that the game is big and dont mind taking my time.

ProdiGurl
12-03-2012, 01:37 PM
>>Fast travel and use horses. <<
Now if he had complained about horse travel... I'd have agreed lol
We should mention that horse travel should be mainly kept to wide, flat surfaces which almost entirely rules out the Frontier
:rolleyes:

MasterAssasin84
12-03-2012, 01:56 PM
>>Fast travel and use horses. <<
Now if he had complained about horse travel... I'd have agreed lol
We should mention that horse travel should be mainly kept to wide, flat surfaces which almost entirely rules out the Frontier
:rolleyes:

I actualy do feel that Horse travel has gone backwards from AC2 but aside from that i am all for massive open world gameplay , i did not pay 60 for it to be over within a day or to .

ProdiGurl
12-03-2012, 02:02 PM
I actualy do feel that Horse travel has gone backwards from AC2 but aside from that i am all for massive open world gameplay , i did not pay 60 for it to be over within a day or to .

I agree. Well I've said it 100 times, but I don't have money to blow on games... esp. new games. This one is worth every single penny and then some with the amount of time and enjoyment I've gotten out of it. Sure it has its issues like any other game out there, but wow, it's impressive and FUN. The missions in Seq. 8-9 I've been in are a blast. The story is keeping me interested - Connor's growing on me more and more....... the game is a pleasure to play.
I only feel bad for people suffering legit bugs.

MasterAssasin84
12-03-2012, 03:06 PM
I agree. Well I've said it 100 times, but I don't have money to blow on games... esp. new games. This one is worth every single penny and then some with the amount of time and enjoyment I've gotten out of it. Sure it has its issues like any other game out there, but wow, it's impressive and FUN. The missions in Seq. 8-9 I've been in are a blast. The story is keeping me interested - Connor's growing on me more and more....... the game is a pleasure to play.
I only feel bad for people suffering legit bugs.

I personaly have had no problems with AC3 and i dont know if that comes across as ignorant or not but when i first bought the game i found a few niggles but that was to be expected as its a new engine but the patch has rectified the problems that was apparant to me. But i think people are now really begining to judge the game on stupid things i mean everyone to their own but ubi did say that this is the most ambitious instalment yet and the shere open world gameplay is to embraced and i certainly have embraced it with open arms because i love the snese of adventure and freedom !! without being cheesy thats what i RISE for ;)