PDA

View Full Version : [Poll] Do you want WNM back?

LuckyBide
12-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Now that Sam hasn't have a personal story anymore, it would be great to bring back WNM (or FNW) for the news.
Agree or not?

@Zack : Can you tell us if WNM will be back please? :p

But WNM with Morris Odell of course, the legendary TV speaker of Splinter Cell:
http://gamezfast.com/wp-content/plugins/rss-poster/cache/2e93f_SplinterCell.jpg
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100616223234/splintercell/images/thumb/c/c6/WNM_PT.jpg/640px-WNM_PT.jpg

BoBwUzHeRe1138
12-02-2012, 01:32 PM
AGREED. I would like his voice to be the same but if HIS voice is the same and Sam's is different it'll be a complete mockery and slap in the face.

Definitely something that pulled me in and made me believe it was a real world. I had it listed in the Checklist I made as well -- I feel it was an integral part of the SC formula.

I saw a video of Sam and the team on the new plane that I'm forgetting the name of but anyway...the video was behind the scenes showing the mo-cap and it sounded a lot like a CT cutscene (some military jargon but not TOO much and they were trying to figure out where the terrorists will strike next) so if they combine those types of cutscenes with WNM -- I'd be SO happy!

MaxBreakenridge
12-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Oh my god yes, I really hope that returns, really brought you into the experience and made you feel like it could actually happen.

CamberGreber
12-02-2012, 02:18 PM
Yes please.

The News broadcast really upped the immersion.

bluewolf042000
12-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Yes, of course I want it back, that was one of the coolest things about the old games! I'm hopeful, if you check out the first few seconds of this vid you can hear the news reports about the game events so I'm hoping that makes it into the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYGoFH6bWXg

Knot3D
12-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Yes, but please have the scenes generated from the ingame graphics engine then.

SCAgent95
12-02-2012, 06:00 PM
Yes i would like that, but they must happen between missions and can be skipped.

y9041
12-03-2012, 04:26 AM
i'm not advocating they have this but it would be cool to see a return, especially with the whole blacklist idea. it could work

BoBwUzHeRe1138
12-03-2012, 04:57 AM
Yeah...I'd prefer classic gameplay mechanics over this but honestly -- with the story they have of the Blacklist -- all of the US' news sources would be in a frenzy over this and would be discussing it like 24/7.

Maybe they could have it similar to the newspaper idea from Hitman Blood Money -- rather than a news broadcast or newspaper, they could update it to fit with the times and let us scroll through a news blog xD

obviously though I wouldnt want them to be like hitman where it changes depending on what we do -- i want the newspaper to be well written and not adapt to us haha

Stealthgamer001
12-03-2012, 06:33 AM
They should take it a step further and play an alternate news clip during the loading screen after you fail.

"WNM reports that a suspected terrorist was shot and killed inside the CIA headquarters by security officers"

BoBwUzHeRe1138
12-03-2012, 08:05 AM
They should take it a step further and play an alternate news clip during the loading screen after you fail.

"WNM reports that a suspected terrorist was shot and killed inside the CIA headquarters by security officers"

That'd actually be fun haha (x

They could have easter egg ones too depending on where/how you died xD

carlosdelae1
12-03-2012, 09:10 AM
that would be great i really love that is good to find sc fans in the forums. can you answer my poll? http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/732830-splinter-cell-blacklist-funny-interrogations :)

codenameeric
12-03-2012, 06:24 PM
WNM made the world conflict seem real. You really felt that just one man made a major difference in world events. Not having it would be a shame. They could do it in the cinematics or they could just have in playing on random TV screens in missions (or on the radio), kinda like how Mass Effect did with their radio broadcasts. It added a huge degree of realism. Perhaps you could access it in the Paladin or on the Opsat.

mudsak
12-04-2012, 02:45 PM
I would really like to see a return of WNM. However, I believe it to be far more important that Blacklist tells a believable story that isn't outlandish. In the legacy games Sam was always an operative conducting missions to deal with scenarios that the rest of the world had no idea existed. The WNM news blurbs would fill in the holes, tie the story together, and even validate the feeling that you were truly behind the scenes making the difference the world needed.

Now, with Blacklist we've already seen a trailer that insinuates that "THE BLACKLIST" is a term and idea that the news media already knows about, and is reporting. This alone makes the entire mission feel much less covert to me. It's more "in-your-face". Perhaps they could use WNM, but my bet is that they wouldn't utilize it in the same grounded manner as the previous games. I would imagine it to be more outlandish (like fox news : )

My point is that without a grounded story I don't think that including WNM will be as satisfying as before. If this thing spins in a hollywood-action-hero direction even a little bit then I don't really care what they do. If they keep things grounded, real, covert, and inspired by a more classic Clancy-esque angle than I would love nothing more than to see WNM make a return to the game.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
12-05-2012, 05:19 AM
I would really like to see a return of WNM. However, I believe it to be far more important that Blacklist tells a believable story that isn't outlandish. In the legacy games Sam was always an operative conducting missions to deal with scenarios that the rest of the world had no idea existed. The WNM news blurbs would fill in the holes, tie the story together, and even validate the feeling that you were truly behind the scenes making the difference the world needed.

Now, with Blacklist we've already seen a trailer that insinuates that "THE BLACKLIST" is a term and idea that the news media already knows about, and is reporting. This alone makes the entire mission feel much less covert to me. It's more "in-your-face". Perhaps they could use WNM, but my bet is that they wouldn't utilize it in the same grounded manner as the previous games. I would imagine it to be more outlandish (like fox news : )

My point is that without a grounded story I don't think that including WNM will be as satisfying as before. If this thing spins in a hollywood-action-hero direction even a little bit then I don't really care what they do. If they keep things grounded, real, covert, and inspired by a more classic Clancy-esque angle than I would love nothing more than to see WNM make a return to the game.

hahahaha nice jab at fox -- hate them

anyway
Obviously some of the scenes like with the interrogations are over the top but again, I saw a mo-cap scene with Johnson as Sam with Grim and others on the paladin discussing where the next attack will take place and it seemed like CT which really conflicts with the other parts we've seen so time will tell haha. Is the whole plot mostly made of outlandish over-the-top elements or are those few and far between an otherwise nice and interesting story?

If the latter is true and Blacklist has a MOSTLY grounded story...WNM could work in that they simply state the Blacklist is believed to be Al Qaeda or something when you're learning some stuff about MI6's possible involvment and see the real story. Plus they could claim that the Marines or Seals or whatever are helping avert the crisis as opposed to 4E haha

The_5_Freedoms
12-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Yes! It was a really cool feature of the classic games that was unfortunately relegated to just the ending of Double Agent and then dropped with Conviction.

But with the way Blacklist is panning out it would really work well with it. They could even integrate it with the SMI.

V.M.R_JaRuTo
12-10-2012, 10:31 AM
People, stop blindly believe that you have the strength to make a difference!
Being less than a year since it's release, and suddenly implement additional elements? Such things are done either from the beginning, or at all, and certainly not in the first three quarters. If WNM has not been since the beginning of the production Blacklist, it will not be in the final version. This is the same for the rest of the elements of the old Splinter Cell parts.

SCAgent95
12-10-2012, 02:04 PM
^That shouldn't stop us from giving them ideas for SC7 ;).

V.M.R_JaRuTo
12-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Sure ; )

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
12-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Hi, just a note to say we are reading all feedback and sending this to our team. Also Ubi_Zack is frequently on the forum, so please do keep posting your feedback.

newhenpal
12-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Sure.

But, if there's one thing Double Agent (with a few exceptions) and Conviction did that I was okay with, it was not splicing in WNM reports into the cutscenes. I think I prefer this style of storytelling (but not the absence of WNM, of course).

It should be relegated to the background, I think. Have the reports transmitted through the in-game TV sets, radios, computers, maybe even guard conversations.