PDA

View Full Version : Desmond's own story *spoilers within*

Aries0968
12-02-2012, 12:47 PM
*IF YOU HAVE NOT FINISHED THE GAME HERE BE SPOILERS YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED*

Now the games ending does claim that Desmond (the dullest man in the universe) may well be pushing up daisies...

...yea i don't but that entirely, there have been a fist full of speculations on how AC4 could get past this without a real world protagonist ranging from "we were watching Desmonds life and his trips through the animus from one of Desmond's future descendants thus explaining his desyncing etc." to the oh so simple "hes not really dead" and "hes trapped in the temples systems like Juno"

Im going to bypass that whole thing and go right to the meat of the matter, I just don't buy Desmond being dead. His story has yet to be told and given his development as an Assassin in and of himself ranging from simple skills such as eagle vision and his freerunning to his gaining of tools and weapons such as the hidden blade and 9mm silenced pistol lead me to believe Desmond is still a potential modern day open world assassin.

Desmond has been our eyes and ears through the whole series and given the frankly (and lets be honest here) horrible ending that is supposed to lead us to the conclusion that he is dead makes me think that it was more tagged on than anything else so that should development of AC4 fail to come to the fore before the end of the current console generation that the story can have an "ending".

I truly hope that Desmond finally gains a story based on him rather than focusing on him rather than the animus as a deus ex machina. Don't get me wrong i would love to see a WW1 or WW2 assassin (like in the comic) as a kick off to train Desmond in modern day weapons and open field combat tactics, this seems doubly valid considering that canon assassins working in the field were active during that time period.

So Desmond as the hero rather than the medium perhaps not holding the entire story himself but perhaps as with Conner splitting the story as Desmond is forced to learn new skills and tactics as the plot progresses.

*TLDNR Version*

Desmond isn't dead, i simply dont buy it, too much of the story is based around Desmond learning to be a modern day assassin using his ancestors memory's to simply throw him away as a character.

Assassin 2012:

With modern eara assassins in mind and given modern day security systems being an assassin in 2012 would be difficult at best requiring a combination of incredible skill and intellect mixing a number of established games skill sets in order to make our traditional stealth and stab gameplay work such as the Metal gear and Splinter cell series not to mention the new Batman arkham games.

Modern day stabby goodness:

Desmond has now lived three lifetimes as an assassin gaining skills developed for a significantly less developed age but has managed to blend them well into modern era situations as seen in AC3. This is all well and good but there will be times Desmond wont be able to simply whip out a blade and slash up the security in order to make a break for it so lets look at alternative uses for established slaughter skills in the modern day.

*The leap of Faith:
The sync and leap is a huge part of the established lore and gameplay and cant really be done away with simply because its impractical in the modern age. There are certain ways around this that could work in "real" world.

- Airbags/cardboard boxes in Skips and garbage trucks
- water of a reasonable depth.
- parachute and bungee
- free rope abseiling via grapnel

If we can believe an assassin can take a 50-100 ft dive into straw, okra and water with no serious harm then these are all justifiable.

*The hidden blade:
The hidden blade is iconic and wont be lost in the modern era simply because we have already seen Desmond use it. This is all well and good but with metal detectors and modern security the traditional blade may well not always be viable, fortuitously modern tech comes to the rescue once again.

- hardened plastics and ceramic blades

This would also make more sense as a secondary blade/hookblade for Desmond in that more durable and lighter modern materials would be needed to make freerunning and climbing viable given modern architecture requiring extended reach and grip.

*The Assassins arsenal:
The Assassins use a lot of toys that up until recently could be carried and worn openly without raising an eyebrow from most law enforcement officers. Sadly this is 2012 were talking about and walking around with the contents of "stabs 'r us" on your back may not work out very well. With this in mind here are a few potential ideas for Desmond's modern day tool kit.

- The Grapnel launcher:
Yes its a little batman but it would make sense considering the size and shape of modern buildings as well as offer an alternative use as a zipline and allow Desmond yet another way to "leap of faith" from view points.

- The collapsing baton:
Used by modern police and security forces as a blunt weapon the baton telescopes down to a very small and easily concealable size while still being an incredibly effective "technically" non lethal weapon.

- Silenced 9mm with variable ammunition:
Desmond has already shown the ability to use modern firearms and simply expanding on its ammo types would require almost no work. Throw in rubber bullets, conventional ammo and even flechette tranc rounds and you give Desmond a practical ranged weapon that can reasonably easily be concealed abet one he may not be able to get through security.
Then again there is the potential for a carbon fibre and ceramic based 9mm weapon that already exists that is undetectable to conventional magnetic resonance scanners that im sure the Assassins would have access to.

- Tazers
Need a non lethal takedown that will las a few hours that wont leave a chemical trace? grab a tazer and zap your way to victory. This is a no brainer and im honestly shocked (pun intended) that Desmond does not have one already.

-Combat Knife:
Desmond already carries one and a simple upgrade to this is a given quite possible a non metallic one to bypass security.

-misc toys and gadgets:
All of the assassins have carried a few toys spicific to them and i recon Desmond would be no different, heres a few i believe we could see:

*smoke pellets
*tranc gas pellets
*caltrops
*motion detector
*mace or pepper spray
*knuckle duster's
*body armour (under normal clothing)
*Stiletto "wrapping" blade
*garrote wire

well thats my justification and oh so very hopeful view for the next game, feel free to comment or simply add in your own views or come up with toys for AC4.

pacmanate
12-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Well yeah, Desmond might not be dead, but it has been said countless times that this is Desmonds LAST game.

Which really irritates me. They built him to be SO BADASS. Yet the only skills he puts to use is his free running abilities for the most part. Eagle vision was rendered useless as the games progressed, not only for Desmond but also for Ezio and Connor.

Aries0968
12-02-2012, 01:08 PM
, but it has been said countless times that this is Desmonds LAST game..

i dont know why and i dont know why it bothers me quite so much but i still dont buy this a Desmonds last game.

even if this IS the case we have yet to see Desmond "progenate" an heir so passing on Demonds legasy in canon may well be more than a little difficult if he is considered dead from this point..

and yes the whole eve thing in the revaluations DLC notwithstanding im still pretty darn sure Lucy didnt have time to sprog before popping her clogs.

SweetsMachineGun
12-02-2012, 01:50 PM
im still pretty darn sure Lucy didnt have time to sprog before popping her clogs.

OMFG what does this even mean I am laughing so hard at this

pacmanate
12-02-2012, 02:38 PM
im still pretty darn sure Lucy didnt have time to sprog before popping her clogs.

...... wHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

infamous_ezio
12-02-2012, 02:46 PM
I remember reading something about the recent survey and how one of the questions was something along the lines of putting desmnd in another game. This was an intended trilogy at first, 5 games in a series is not a trilogy... I don't mind that they are milking it, but atleast make the story decent...

DJJaines
12-02-2012, 02:55 PM
(((((((SPOILER)))))))))I'm not entirely convinced Vidic is dead, yes I know, we saw him get shot. But think about it, the man worked a huge part of his life with Abstergo, dealing with First Civ Tech, and Al Mualim had a few tricks up his sleeve with the apple, what if Vidic had something else? Abstergo could put him in hiding and mislead the assassins into thinking he's gone... Yes it makes sense to kill the nemesis of the protagonist but at the same time, like able, neither could be dead. Hmmm,... Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

infamous_ezio
12-02-2012, 03:44 PM
you can't really justify everything with that statement.... i mean, we saw him get shot in the face.... come on

Aries0968
12-02-2012, 03:48 PM
OMFG what does this even mean I am laughing so hard at this

Lucy (well we know who lucy is now dont we)
sprog = child
to sprog = have had a child
popping ones clogs = dutch expression meaning that when one dies blood pools in the extremities (in this case the feet) to pop ones clogs is to have dies and had enough blood pool in ones feet to literally pop ones clogs (traditional wooden shoes) off ones feet.

so to make it a little more US compatible.

Lucy and Desmond did not have time during the events established in assassins creed 2, brotherhood and revalations to comncieve a child and carry it to term prior to Desmond being "forced" to kill her despite clear depiction in the revelations DLC that clained Desmond destiny in having a child with her (defined as Eve) in order to carry on his mimetic legacy thus continuing the assassins creed franchise through another generation.

hope this clears things up but i think my was was far far funnier and to the point

you can't really justify everything with that statement.... i mean, we saw him get shot in the face.... come on

people have been serviving head trauma from headshots almost since the 9mm parabellum was created as a round type.

its small nature and low impact yield is intentionaly designed to cause as little damage as possible within the confines of its role as a fired projectile. its use worldwide as the "go to" round of choice for both police and military use is based on its limitation for lethality much like the now NATO and UM standard 5.56mm round as a "round to wound" rather than the 7.62mm "round to kill".

military tacturn dictates that in injured soldier requires treatment in the field thus requiring up to three soldiers in his care and transport whereas a dead soldier is simply dead and can be dis guarded. this extends to the 9mm round in that it is documented as the "most survivable" small arms round available.

the odds of living through a round to the face may be very low but given the technology we have seen available to both the tempalars and assassins his living through this attempt is at least potentially possible.

http://mentalzero.com/extreme-videos/shocking/insane-war-footage-british-soldier-survives-head-shot_2152/

note this was NOT a 9mm but a much larger 7.62mm soviet round that hit him in the head that easily penetrated the NAYO standard helmet and entered the skull.

DJJaines
12-02-2012, 05:13 PM
By the way, I was thinking more Al Mualims ability to copy himself with the apple, yes we saw him get shot but it could have been a copy or a 'morphed' victim of some kind... It's a longshot I realise this.

infamous_ezio
12-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Lucy (well we know who lucy is now dont we)
sprog = child
to sprog = have had a child
popping ones clogs = dutch expression meaning that when one dies blood pools in the extremities (in this case the feet) to pop ones clogs is to have dies and had enough blood pool in ones feet to literally pop ones clogs (traditional wooden shoes) off ones feet.

so to make it a little more US compatible.

Lucy and Desmond did not have time during the events established in assassins creed 2, brotherhood and revalations to comncieve a child and carry it to term prior to Desmond being "forced" to kill her despite clear depiction in the revelations DLC that clained Desmond destiny in having a child with her (defined as Eve) in order to carry on his mimetic legacy thus continuing the assassins creed franchise through another generation.

hope this clears things up but i think my was was far far funnier and to the point

people have been serviving head trauma from headshots almost since the 9mm parabellum was created as a round type.

its small nature and low impact yield is intentionaly designed to cause as little damage as possible within the confines of its role as a fired projectile. its use worldwide as the "go to" round of choice for both police and military use is based on its limitation for lethality much like the now NATO and UM standard 5.56mm round as a "round to wound" rather than the 7.62mm "round to kill".

military tacturn dictates that in injured soldier requires treatment in the field thus requiring up to three soldiers in his care and transport whereas a dead soldier is simply dead and can be dis guarded. this extends to the 9mm round in that it is documented as the "most survivable" small arms round available.

the odds of living through a round to the face may be very low but given the technology we have seen available to both the tempalars and assassins his living through this attempt is at least potentially possible.

http://mentalzero.com/extreme-videos/shocking/insane-war-footage-british-soldier-survives-head-shot_2152/

note this was NOT a 9mm but a much larger 7.62mm soviet round that hit him in the head that easily penetrated the NAYO standard helmet and entered the skull.

yeah i don't think ubisoft intended for vidic to survive that..

Sushiglutton
12-02-2012, 05:31 PM
In a story as confused as this Ubisoft can make up whatever they want depending on user feedback.

D.I.D.
12-02-2012, 05:34 PM
Yeah, I thought that. As I said in another post, in the same way that the devs said that there could be another Connor game if fans want it, I think the Desmond thing is still open too in case more people grew to like him during AC3.

I'm not sure he'll ever be back as a playable character though, but maybe seen again as an NPC.

Sushiglutton
12-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Yeah, I thought that. As I said in another post, in the same way that the devs said that there could be another Connor game if fans want it, I think the Desmond thing is still open too in case more people grew to like him during AC3.

I'm not sure he'll ever be back as a playable character though, but maybe seen again as an NPC.

Thing is I don't think that many want Desmond back, so if I had to guess it would be he's gone for good. But like you said he may show up in some way (perhaps he can take a new form like Juno or something).

mazohystic
12-02-2012, 05:57 PM
It doesn't really matter if Vidic is dead or not. He would have (hopefully) died eventually and when he did, someone possibly even bigger and badder would have replaced him. I'm almost 100% sure that this is the last game that we can play as Desmond. Does that mean Desmond will be never mentioned again? I kinda hope not. Like sushiglutton said, maybe he'll appear again as some sort of weird apparition or something. I probably think that would be really cool but mostly because I'm really attached to Desmond, aha.

KH_Austin
12-02-2012, 09:29 PM
I do hope we get to see Desmond in some form in the future.. maybe via Bleeding Effect? It wouldn't be an stretch for Ubisoft to do that.

Jill_Ripper
12-02-2012, 11:10 PM
Know what would be awesome? If they brought both Desmond AND Lucy back, and you were able to play as them in a co-op mode.

I think it would be awesome, at least.

A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n
12-03-2012, 03:06 AM
We saw Lucy get stabbed, we saw Vidic get shot in the face, we saw Desmond get fried. He's dead. All three are dead. End of story. Oh, and Lucy isn't supposed to be Eve. It was a rather lackluster modern story that ended in an even worse way. I for one hope they retcon the whole modern story and make it much more interesting. Hmmm, I don't know, maybe something like Abstergo is the American Rite (who happens to have a facility in Italy) and William Miles little assassin enclave is simply the American Branch of the Assassin Order. That way, while Abstergo and William Miles' group are being a pharmaceutical company and a bunch of hippies, respectively, you have other Assassins and Templars in other parts of the world who are actually living up to their name. THAT's what I want. Could care less about whether they bring Desmond back.

Saqaliba
12-03-2012, 04:17 AM
Yeah, story FAIL... Desmond goes into training for like 5 games to learn countless abilities and weapons he barely ever gets to utilise. He learns, the knowldedge of Altair, what it is to be a leader, and through Ezio as a Mentor, he learns what it is like to be apart of conspiracy and power games in a new world, through Connor.... hell, he even learns how to fix his fractured psyche from the bleeding effect. So all that training so that Desmond never becomes a mentor, nor a leader to his own recruits, nor does he use his many abilities from the bleeding effect, nor will he usher in the new world (*like Connor) had he have just let the world end.

Waste of training really. Waste of a good opportunity to actually develop Desmond into a decent character.