PDA

View Full Version : SSD performance gain?

Darkphizer
11-30-2012, 02:53 AM
When I first got the game i installed it on my main SSD. But upon running short of space i decided to reintsall to a normal 7200rpm 2TB HDD. and boy i wasn't pleased with the performance...My game on the SSD ran on a fluent 60fps vsync on everything maxed and on the 7200 rpm drive barely hit 23fps vsync on.

My pc specs are:

I7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz
16GB vengeance 1600Mhz
GTX680 SLI (SLI disabled)
OCZ vertex 3 128gb SSD

So i'm reinstalling this game to my ssd once more to verify if this does really give me that increase in fps, It's the first time a game would get a 40+ fps boost from running on an SSD, BF3 ran perfectly fine on ultra on and off the ssd...So I don't get it....

Darkphizer
11-30-2012, 03:14 AM
That has nothing to do with the storage type because the average throughput of an HDD is 80Mb/s which is way more than enough to load in-game elements. Make sure that the drive is well defragged after installing the game. If the problem persists look out for updates of your motherboard sata drivers or even bios updates.

Don't take this in a bad way, but i knew someone was going to suggest looking for driver updates etc etc...I don't think you understand completely then.
The game was running fine before the switch to the 7200rpm drive and guess what, reinstalling the game on the ssd confirmed it! the game now runs perfectly again...And i know for a fact that everything is up to date because i recently did the same test with battlefield 3 and that game has close to the same performance on the ssd as it does on the 7200rpm drive. My steam library is also located on that drive and all those game run perfectly fine :)

I don't know what is up with far cry 3, but this does confirm it running better on an ssd, and i know about the tranfer rate, that that normally shouldn't matter, but I guess somehow it does in this case. I've worked with computers long enough (daily) to find this as weird as it sounds.

NightravenXI
11-30-2012, 03:23 AM
That has nothing to do with the storage type because the average throughput of an HDD is 80Mb/s which is way more than enough to load in-game elements. Make sure that the drive is well defragged after installing the game. If the problem persists look out for updates of your motherboard sata drivers or even bios updates.

I hope you mean defrag the normal drive and not the SSD drive :P As SSD do not ever need defragged.

Darkphizer
11-30-2012, 03:33 AM
I hope you mean defrag the normal drive and not the SSD drive :P As SSD do not ever need defragged.

I'm pretty shure he does mean that :)