PDA

View Full Version : Choose to follow me or oppose me and I will kill you *spoilers*

UnlistedBeatle
11-29-2012, 02:03 PM
Did anyone else feel that Connor came into his own at this point? I know his character has received some criticism, and I initially agreed with it. But then I thought about the game a bit differently and I realise now that he is one of the most endearing and honest characters I've played in video games (Red Dead's John Marsten still takes top prize, but there's no shame coming second here I think). Connor has arguably suffered the most out of anyone in the AC series, perhaps even more than Ezio. He lost his mother, his best friend turned on him and he had to kill him, likewise with his father, the man he had allied himself with turned out to be the one responsible for the destruction of his village, he experienced racism throughout his life, and learned that his life's quest had been completely misguided. He was barking up the wrong tree for half the game. Although the British were sent packing from America, his people had still been forced to abandon their village, and no one bothered to look for him. Despite Americans winning their freedom there is still racism and slavery (as witnessed in the epilogue). In essence, what Connor had set out to achieve, he had failed.

On the bright side, he has a flourishing homestead. A new family of sorts. He has an Assassin brotherhood behind him. Ultimately though, Connors story is one of sadness, loss and failure. It is in this respect that I think he is one of the most realistic protagonists I have ever encountered. Real people make mistakes, and they certainly aren't flawless. A lot of media protagonists fall into the trap of just being too perfect. Someone who is a little rough around the edges like Connor (or the aforementioned John Marsten) are, in my opinion, a lot more relatable.

I get the feeling that after delivering that line to Washington and Haytham that he became a different character. Before he was quick to do what people asked him to do (eg: Haytham getting him to chase people). Afterwards he became his own master. He realised he could trust no one but himself. I think this was also symbolised by taking off his assassin hood and painting his face. Every fight became personal for him.

MasterAssasin84
11-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Yes Connors story is one of sadness , loss and betrayal which fuels his determination - i just love how the story makes you think whats more important the freedom of the people or the duties of the Assassins Brotherhood and i think thats the dilema Connor was facing.

But i think he really came into his own when he left Achilles and accused him of failing the brotherhood for letting the Templars grow stronger i think it was that point Connor realised that Loyalty and Duty cannot go hand in hand and ultimately made the decision to see through hunting down the templars.

That moment when he stormed out of the homestead i think thats when Connor really became his own man.

Flying-Tempest
11-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Don't know if I agree with everything you guys said, but just the way it was acted out it just didn't move me. Perhaps weak voice actors? I didn't feel anything when the mother died and Connor just seemed so bland and petulant on the whole. Not to mention boring

Will_Lucky
11-29-2012, 05:19 PM
Ehhh they both opposed him and he only ended up killing one of them.

MasterAssasin84
11-29-2012, 05:22 PM
Ehhh they both opposed him and he only ended up killing one of them.

Yes but the point is Connor was torn between the freedom of his country and the Assassin Cause but in the end he chose the Brotherhood of the Revolution .

Will_Lucky
11-29-2012, 05:25 PM
Yes but the point is Connor was torn between the freedom of his country and the Assassin Cause but in the end he chose the Brotherhood of the Revolution .

And he should have ended Washington after the job was done, but he didn't.

MasterAssasin84
11-29-2012, 06:14 PM
And he should have ended Washington after the job was done, but he didn't.

I hate being a spoiler but i think the tyrant of King George DLC will see to that ;)