PDA

View Full Version : Continuing the story in an Open World MMO?

Poodle_of_Doom
11-28-2012, 06:28 AM
I don't know how many of you out there would know what I am refering to, but I'm curious to know what peoples opinions would be about doing an open world type setting for the Assassins Creed series, similarly to what The Matrix Online had. You can read more about The Matrix Online (commonly refered to by players, and fans of The Matrix Trilogy as MxO) by clicking the following link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MxO

Now, if you read the above article, you'll see that Ubisoft had been interested in helping to create that game, but backed out. So, I would imagine that they may still have an interest in doing something like that, given the right oppertunity, and the right game and story line combination. Also, you'll note that Sony helped to run/develope the game. As I'm sure many of you are aware, Sony is making a film based on the series, and obviously has the PlayStation platform that the game runs on. I imagine this could form a unique partnership to help establish this game.

Now, what I think would be awesome would be to hold a similar concept to what MxO had. It could be a real time strategy game, played live on various servers, that would further and continue the story. It could be held in any time, past, present, or future, though I think the present would work the best. You could choose to be an Assassin or Templar. There would be a constant stream of missions for either side, as well as player developed story line.

What would you guys say to that, if it were developed? How would you respond to something like that? Would you have an interest in it? Would you purchase it?

montagemik
11-28-2012, 06:40 AM
Not my type of game at all. :nonchalance:

Assassin_M
11-28-2012, 06:58 AM
Wouldn't have Interest, wouldn't purchase it, wouldn't even follow it..

Poodle_of_Doom
11-28-2012, 08:02 AM
Really.... I kind of thought that something like that would really take off, and that most people would enjoy it for a series like this.

Assassin_M
11-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Really.... I kind of thought that something like that would really take off, and that most people would enjoy it for a series like this.
Hey, mate, montagemik and I are just 2 guys xD

You still have about a hundred active people here. Maybe they`ll like it..

Poodle_of_Doom
11-28-2012, 08:06 AM
This is true. At that, I guess I was a little less than impressed when I saw two responses like that off the bat.

Assassin_M
11-28-2012, 08:08 AM
This is true. At that, I guess I was a little less than impressed when I saw two responses like that off the bat.
I know xD

have some more Patience..

Poodle_of_Doom
11-28-2012, 08:16 AM
I will. I imagine someone will bite and run with it. But still, I thought it was an excellent idea, and that it would generally meet approval right off the bat.

massmurdera_666
11-28-2012, 08:27 AM
I would give the game a shot. I've never played an MMO but I am a die hard fan of Assassin's Creed and would play it. I'm still one of those people that are holding out hope that Project Legacy gets back up and running.

Assassin_M
11-28-2012, 08:30 AM
See ?:p

And so it begins

Poodle_of_Doom
11-28-2012, 08:46 AM
So it does... I think it would be an interesting concept for the series.

vulgarhythms
11-28-2012, 09:15 AM
Remember when Square-Enix made Final Fantasy into an MMO? Yeah, their sales have been great since then.

ace3001
11-28-2012, 09:56 AM
Nope. Wouldn't buy. One thing I love about AC is the great single player mode that allows me to experience the story the way I want and at my own pace. An MMO would be too restrictive in this regard.

Poodle_of_Doom
11-28-2012, 06:22 PM
Nope. Wouldn't buy. One thing I love about AC is the great single player mode that allows me to experience the story the way I want and at my own pace. An MMO would be too restrictive in this regard.

Not really though. A lot of people in MxO made their own story. It would be like playing the multiplayer, just for the series instead of the individual games.

ProdiGurl
11-28-2012, 06:51 PM
I don't have fast enough connection speed to do anything online w/ gaming so I'm out - but I honestly would have very little interest if I did.
I'm more single player campaign oriented anyway. I'm sure people in multiplayer forums might like it more?

WarriorAegis
11-28-2012, 06:55 PM
No. Just no.

jamgamerforever
11-28-2012, 06:55 PM
No thanks. Wouldn't touch it. The thing is with an MMO, you can never really make a difference story-wise, because it has to reset for other players to do. Sure, MMOs have used phasing to try and recreate the change you see in single player campaigns, but it's very shallow at best, non-existent at worst.

Having once been a big MMO player, I feel that any game with a story does not work as an MMO.

LightRey
11-28-2012, 06:59 PM
Never been one for MMO's and I'm not even sure how it could work in the franchise.

pirate1802
11-28-2012, 08:02 PM
MMOs?? Nah. Not my cup of tea.. never played one, and not interested either. Also my connection sucks so..

ace3001
11-29-2012, 01:25 AM
Not really though. A lot of people in MxO made their own story. It would be like playing the multiplayer, just for the series instead of the individual games.
I don't want fan-made stories for AC. And AC's MP is a lot different to an MMO. And what I mean by restrictive is that you must get together and play with other people at times that is convenient to everyone, and all of us can't play the way we want. It just takes the freedom out of AC.

rileypoole1234
11-29-2012, 01:50 AM
Good God no.

A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n
11-29-2012, 04:47 AM
I'd like for Multiplayer to be more like an MMO. But, remember guys, MMO doesn't necessarily mean MMORPG. I definitely wouldn't want an RPG, but a massive multiplayer online mode in addition to or replacing the current multiplayer mode would be welcome in my opinion. I just don't think that the current MP is like the singleplayer, and it needs to be. An MMO would open up the possibility of including things like different outfits, buying different weapons, maybe having Assassins vs Templars, free-roam, all within a multiplayer environment.

Poodle_of_Doom
11-29-2012, 05:24 AM
I'd like for Multiplayer to be more like an MMO. But, remember guys, MMO doesn't necessarily mean MMORPG. I definitely wouldn't want an RPG, but a massive multiplayer online mode in addition to or replacing the current multiplayer mode would be welcome in my opinion. I just don't think that the current MP is like the singleplayer, and it needs to be. An MMO would open up the possibility of including things like different outfits, buying different weapons, maybe having Assassins vs Templars, free-roam, all within a multiplayer environment.

Which is what I was thinking. I'm surprised by the overwhelming "no" response....

pirate1802
11-29-2012, 05:32 AM
Ok yeah, if they make the multiplayer portion MMO-ish then I'm on for the ride. BUT DON'T FRIGGING TOUCH MY SP!!

pirate1802
11-29-2012, 05:34 AM
Which is what I was thinking. I'm surprised by the overwhelming "no" response....

The reaction is so because when you say MMO, it almost always means a game that is wholly online. No SP or other components. I won't like such a game. They can make it if they wish, afterall its their IP, their decision, but I won't be buying it. Now if they turn the MP into MMO, then it can be REALLY fun!

ace3001
11-29-2012, 05:39 AM
Ok yeah, if they make the multiplayer portion MMO-ish then I'm on for the ride. BUT DON'T FRIGGING TOUCH MY SP!!This, exactly. The main storyline of AC should remain single player. An MMO does not have a single player mode, which is why I said I won't be buying it, and I assume a significant percentage of people who bought AC for the SP won't buy an MMO either.

Poodle_of_Doom
11-29-2012, 05:42 AM
Well... That's what I'm after. A game that is entirely online.

DavisP92
11-29-2012, 05:43 AM
Not into MMOs, but an Assassin's Creed RPG (done right :P) with co-op would be amazing.

pirate1802
11-29-2012, 05:45 AM
Well... That's what I'm after. A game that is entirely online.

Aww nooooo

Not into MMOs, but an Assassin's Creed RPG (done right :P) with co-op would be amazing.

Aww Yeaaaa :D

Poodle_of_Doom
11-29-2012, 05:47 AM
I wonder what the Multiplayer forum would think about this?

ace3001
11-29-2012, 05:51 AM
Well... That's what I'm after. A game that is entirely online.You'd be in the minority about this, I guess. Assassin's Creed is one of the very few franchises that consider single player important. Everything seems to be about MP MP BOOM HEADSHOT DOUBLE XP these days with a 5 to 6 hour side dish with SP squeezed in, so it's good that something like AC exists to fill that gap in single player gaming.

DavisP92
11-29-2012, 05:53 AM
Aww Yeaaaa :D

haha yea, i would love to customize my own assassin, make him a stealth parkour master (vs. being a brute and slow, or a mix between them) and only have a bow and hidden blades. I remember I made a huge, and i mean huge, list of things that would be exactly how I would see an AC RPG with co-op. :P

I wonder what the Multiplayer forum would think about this?

I doubt they would like it as much, honestly i didn't look at the link you provided because i'm too tired. but I will tomorrow after my class and then give another opinion on it. But the MP forums have a different feeling (based on how the SP and MP are played).

I do remember a long time ago (a year or two) that there was a rumor about a MMO AC in the works.

pirate1802
11-29-2012, 05:56 AM
haha yea, i would love to customize my own assassin, make him a stealth parkour master (vs. being a brute and slow, or a mix between them) and only have a bow and hidden blades. I remember I made a huge, and i mean huge, list of things that would be exactly how I would see an AC RPG with co-op. :P

I'll continue to throw my money at the screen until this happens. This + Campaign Co-op (Borderlands style) = Awesomest awesomeness in existence.

Assassin_M
11-29-2012, 06:03 AM
I'll continue to throw my money at the screen until this happens. This + Campaign Co-op (Borderlands style) = Awesomest awesomeness in existence.
Moooooom 500 rupees just popped out of my screen..

rupok2
11-29-2012, 06:04 AM
MMos ruin games because they have to sacrifice gameplay for their Massively multiplayer aspect. Name 1 mmo that would be good without the massively multiplayer part, there are barely any besides maybe swotor due to story. MMO's have crappy story, subpar animations, gameplay is repetitive.

Assassin_M
11-29-2012, 06:06 AM
MMos ruin games because they have to sacrifice gameplay for their Massively multiplayer aspect. Name 1 mmo that would be good without the massively multiplayer part, there are barely any besides maybe swotor due to story. MMO's have crappy story, subpar animations, gameplay is repetitive.
All Egyptians are Terrorists..

See how generalization is wrong ??

DavisP92
11-29-2012, 06:07 AM

haha yea and one thing i want to see is if there is co-op there has to be an option to be completely different from your friend(s) both cosmetic and fighting style wise. I'm think 3 player co-op, a group of 3 assassins. all of which have different starting skills/classes. So one may be a poison assassin, another a bomb assassin, and the last an archer. Can add abilities together, poison assassin gives some poison to the archer and boom poison arrows :P, bomb arrow, poison bomb, etc.

there should be some sort of weight system, more armor you have the slower you are but the more hits you can take. The animations for having more armor on would be different because if you have a arm-guard and chest guard then you could block with your arm instead of your sword, or even let a sword hit your chest for a specific animation/counter. No armor means faster but less health, although, you can do flips and stuff. Like flip over guard to escape and animations would be more like shoa-juns'.

skil trees with weapons, start off with class (bow, poison, bombs) then pick one or two weapons you want. With each mission you complete you get a point, every 3 points gives you enough to increase your skills with a weapon or learn how to use another. Maybe for hand to hand you can learn to disarm, then learn to redirect attacks like the ACR CGI trailer. Daggers gives you duel weilding, then rope dart like combos (dagger on a chain), etc.

And outfits should be different, if we want, maybe give us options like 5 different shirts, 5 diff. pants, 5 diff. shoes, and hoods. Let us put where we want our weapons on our bodies, if you like the dagger then maybe you want the dagger on your waist, or lower back, or forearm, or leg or even like altair.

You get my point :P, and how crazy I want the RPG co-op AC

Edit: Good news that the new consoles will be coming out in 2014 so that AC will be crazy compared to the ps3/xbox 360

ace3001
11-29-2012, 06:09 AM
All Egyptians are Terrorists..

See how generalization is wrong ??The MMO generalization is fair enough, though, at least as far as story goes.

Assassin_M
11-29-2012, 06:15 AM
The MMO generalization is fair enough, though, at least as far as story goes.
Generalization is bad...Nuff said:):)

:|

pirate1802
11-29-2012, 06:17 AM
Moooooom 500 rupees just popped out of my screen..

lmao I lol'd at that xD

montagemik
11-29-2012, 06:54 AM

Hey no offence to your idea - MMO just isn't my kind of game regardless of subject matter , Elves , warlocks, Superheroes , space marines , Movies ..................Just not into the MMO .

Red dead multiplay free roam posse is as close as i'd go with an Assassin mass player idea. AS Assassin_M said . Lots of people might love it though

Poodle_of_Doom
11-29-2012, 07:35 AM
I dunno. So far, there has been very little love for it....

ace3001
11-29-2012, 08:37 AM
I dunno. So far, there has been very little love for it....

Most people love the SP, so that was to be expected. Maybe some of those at the MP forum who buy the game for MP alone (which is in itself something I can't fathom) would love such a thing.

montagemik
11-29-2012, 08:51 AM
Most people love the SP, so that was to be expected. Maybe some of those at the MP forum who buy the game for MP alone (which is in itself something I can't fathom) would love such a thing.

They prefer MP - cause their friends can't help em Boost in SP . ;)

BATISTABUS
11-29-2012, 08:53 AM
If it were possible to have the same free-running mechanics of the main series combined with the open world and massive multiplayer capabilities of an MMO (kind of like Red Dead Redemption's co-op free-roam on a larger scale), I would be ecstatic. That would be a dream come true. I wouldn't be as excited if it was just a medieval/Renaissance/colonial/etc. MMO with the brand name slapped onto it, but I'd still be interested if the monthly fee wasn't too painful.

scooper121s
11-29-2012, 08:54 AM
I would get it, I probably wouldn't like it, but i'd get it, AC has a spell on me that entailshttp://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/264/241/9e9.gif

ace3001
11-29-2012, 09:32 AM
I probably wouldn't like it, but i'd get itI'd say that "spell" itself is there cause you've liked all the AC games so far, so it'll probably break if you get one that you don't like. :p

ace3001
11-29-2012, 09:36 AM
They prefer MP - cause their friends can't help em Boost in SP . ;)I don't understand why people even do that. Is there any point to having a list of trophies/achievements that they didn't really work towards getting? I'd have thought that gaming is all for personal satisfaction, but it seems that is not the case.

scooper121s
11-29-2012, 09:42 AM
I'd say that "spell" itself is there cause you've liked all the AC games so far, so it'll probably break if you get one that you don't like. :p
I know :( I'm just glad this will never happen, Ubisoft will kill their biggest money-maker if they do this.
Also chose your next post wisly it's gunna be happy 1000th.
Lastly does no one else think if they bring back pop the'll get more money.
I miss purely SP time, MP is boring, I hope that AC will always stay mostly SP with MP side content.

ace3001
11-29-2012, 10:00 AM
I know :( I'm just glad this will never happen, Ubisoft will kill their biggest money-maker if they do this.
Also chose your next post wisly it's gunna be happy 1000th.
Lastly does no one else think if they bring back pop the'll get more money.
I miss purely SP time, MP is boring, I hope that AC will always stay mostly SP with MP side content.
1000 already gone. :p

And talking about PoP, I was just in the New York Underground, and was passing that locked gate where you have to perform a small platforming sequence to get to the other side, quickly dodging water on both sides, and it suddenly reminded me of PoP. I wish there were more platforming like that in the AC games. I'm kinda getting sick of the "hold a button and let the game do the work for you" platforming in AC. That's also why I liked the mad doctor's mansion level, where there was an element of "finding the right path" to a certain degree.

scooper121s
11-29-2012, 10:04 AM
1000 already gone. :p

And talking about PoP, I was just in the New York Underground, and was passing that locked gate where you have to perform a small platforming sequence to get to the other side, quickly dodging water on both sides, and it suddenly reminded me of PoP. I wish there were more platforming like that in the AC games. I'm kinda getting sick of the "hold a button and let the game do the work for you" platforming in AC. That's also why I liked the mad doctor's mansion level, where there was an element of "finding the right path" to a certain degree.
Well happy 1000th, have another happy 1000 more, yeah can't wait for Christmas when I can finally play prince of Persia

ace3001
11-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Well happy 1000th, have another happy 1000 moreThanks. ;)

pacmanate
11-29-2012, 10:55 AM
I wouldn't play it or follow it haha

RatonhnhakeFan
11-29-2012, 11:10 AM
Fans want MMOs in every franchise and then all of those MMOs quickly die (after sucking out hundreds of millions $ during development & release) and the publisher/developer spends years rebuilds the damage done to a franchise. So my answer is no. I'm very glad this entire hoopla on turning every franchise into an MMO has crashed & burned now. Just Elders Scrolls Online is left to meet the same end now and we're finally done. Leave it to MMO-focused developers & F2P market.

LightRey
11-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Fans want MMOs in every franchise and then all of those MMOs quickly die (after sucking out hundreds of millions $ during development & release) and the publisher/developer spends years rebuilds the damage done to a franchise. So my answer is no. I'm very glad this entire hoopla on turning every franchise into an MMO has crashed & burned now. Just Elders Scrolls Online is left to meet the same end now and we're finally done. Leave it to MMO-focused developers & F2P market.
ugh. So many franchises ruined...

Poodle_of_Doom
11-29-2012, 05:19 PM
How are they ruined?

LightRey
11-29-2012, 06:47 PM
How are they ruined?
Many franchises ended with MMO pre-/sequels due to the games not being popular enough. One of the main problems I think is that there is often little overlap between SP gamers and MMO gamers, especially within the fanbases of certain franchises. This means that if they're making the jump to MMO, they're going to either have to convince their SP gamers to try out their MMO (and make sure they actually like it) or they'll have to introduce their game (and with it the entire franchise) to the MMO gamers. To top it all off since they're trying something new to them they are bound to hit snags along the way, which further reduces the success rate.

It often ends up failing for reasons such as this and with it the entire franchise often dies.

Poodle_of_Doom
11-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Well.... It looks like it's dying now,.... judging by all the complaints here on the forums. So,... you might as well give it a proper send off, right?

DavisP92
11-29-2012, 11:27 PM
Well.... It looks like it's dying now,.... judging by all the complaints here on the forums. So,... you might as well give it a proper send off, right?

If the series is dying, I don't think making an Assassin's Creed MMO is the best thing to do. RPG AC would be a crazy thing though, and maybe one day they will have an AC MMO. But I wouldn't want to see that just yet, not unless they know what they're doing. But even then i wouldn't play it because I don't care for MMOs. Looks like they are going towards more of an RPG game though, with creating your assassin and customizing him/her :D

Poodle_of_Doom
11-29-2012, 11:58 PM
I don't know that an RPG would work.

ace3001
11-30-2012, 12:38 AM
It's not dying. Despite being a buggy mess, AC3 is a great game. Most of us are just annoyed by the high amount of bugs in it, especially since the previous games were well tested. The ending is of course another matter, but that doesn't make the whole game bad.

Kaschra
11-30-2012, 12:41 AM
I've never played a MMO... and I'm not sure if my internet connection is good enough. I doubt it :/
Not digging the idea.

Poodle_of_Doom
11-30-2012, 12:49 AM
So.... it's official. I have received a resounding no.