PDA

View Full Version : Aciii rant (possible spoilers)

massmurdera_666
11-27-2012, 10:56 PM
First off, let me get the story out of the way before I hit up some of the more heated topics. The story is great! It's what I totally expected with a Native American protagonist, strong willed, focused, and tenacious. And yes, I do know that the terms I used basically mean the same thing. Playing Haythem in the beginning and then finding out he was a Templar the whole time was a very nice twist Ubi threw in the mix. And the last few missions with Connor, were he's pretty much beaten to a pulp but still finds the strength to go after Lee were incredible. And the final cinematic with Lee was excellent, just the quiet acceptance of his own demise was epic, I just wish we got a prompt to push the button (square or X) ourselves. Desmond's story was awesome, is he dead or not? Did the world get saved? And what the hell is Juno up to? Only future DLC will tell, I hope. My only qualms about Desmond's story has to do with the missions, I mean I expected...I really don't know what I was expecting. I wanted better, I guess that's the word I would use. I mean, look, this is a game coming from a company that created one of the best stealth franchises of all...Splinter Cell. I guess when I imagine a modern AC game I picture Splinter Cell re-skinned in AC characters, with parkour and the hidden blade added, set in an open world. That's probably what they (Ubisoft) want to avoid, but that's the only way I see a modern AC game working. Just my opinion.

Now on to Connor. Obviously alot of people haven't spent time around Native American's (which is sad), because I can tell you, the traditionalists are exactly like Connor in every way. I'm talking about personality and pride for their people and customs. I like Connor, he's an f'ing awesome assassin, but oh boy is his life all sorts of messed up. He get's used and abused by the Patriots. He kills his childhood friend. His tribe leaves. And Achilles, NOT ACHILLES, passes away. WTF Ubisoft!?! Can't the guy catch a break? I hope in future DLC some happiness comes into Connor's life, because if this was happening to someone now, in the real world, they'd be sucking on the barrel of a gun.

The bugs and glitches, they just suck. And the Thanksgiving update did nothing to fix them. In fact, I think some were unlocked with that update. But they haven't broken my gameplay, yet. I still have side missions to finish and I think some of them are a little glitchy. Just saying. With the MP, I have no idea, I haven't played the MP yet. I'm strictly focusing on the main game right now.

The gameplay was hard at first to get used to, the button layout and such, but I quickly adapted. But it's going to be confusing when I go back and play the previous AC games. The game is difficult, and that's a plus. The game is all around fun and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. The Frontier and the cities are fun to run around in, but I do miss the fact that I can't beat up on the people that are around or tackle them. I do wish that we could roam around the ocean on the Aquila though, that would be awesome with random events happening. All around, while it does have it's issues, I think AC3 is the best one to date. And I've been playing since the release of AC1.

zhengyingli
11-27-2012, 11:03 PM
This is no rant; this a legitimate review. I'm really curious about how you are aware of the Native American's traditionalist attitude. Regrettably, I've never met a single one, but I assumed not a lot of people did either, which is why I find it so ironic to see people jumping on the "Connor is just a stereotype" wagon.

massmurdera_666
11-28-2012, 07:51 AM
I grew up with Native American's, I have Native American's in my family, not by blood but through marriage. I was born in Oregon but grew up in and live in Washington state surrounded by Native American's. Also, if everyone was jumping on the "stereotype" band wagon, wouldn't Ubisoft have had to make Connor (I can't believe I'm going to say this) a "*** backwards drunk"? This isn't Last of The Mohicans and Connor isn't Daniel Day-Lewis (although there are similarities between the two). So if everyone is basing their opinions of Connor on Daniel Day-Lewiss' character (Nathaniel Hawkeye), they are very unaware of Native American culture.

vulgarhythms
11-28-2012, 08:11 AM
I think Connor was great. Frankly, it couldn't have been easy for Ubisoft to go from a charismatic, sexually-charged protagonist like Ezio to a more stoic character (similar to Altair, but with more background information). Even with the game's little Easter-egg jokes (like the flying machine), Connor's character remains unflinching in his dedication to his personal cause--and that's what makes him great. Altair lived for a community cause which made me question what stake he had in the whole Assassin's game, but Connor only used the Brotherhood as a map of ideals while still pursuing his own, personal vendetta. Took me a number of games before I liked Ezio or Altair quite as much as they accomplished with Connor.

massmurdera_666
11-28-2012, 08:21 AM
I think Connor was great. Frankly, it couldn't have been easy for Ubisoft to go from a charismatic, sexually-charged protagonist like Ezio to a more stoic character (similar to Altair, but with more background information). Even with the game's little Easter-egg jokes (like the flying machine), Connor's character remains unflinching in his dedication to his personal cause--and that's what makes him great. Altair lived for a community cause which made me question what stake he had in the whole Assassin's game, but Connor only used the Brotherhood as a map of ideals while still pursuing his own, personal vendetta. Took me a number of games before I liked Ezio or Altair quite as much as they accomplished with Connor.

Totally agree with you 110%.

vulgarhythms
11-28-2012, 08:29 AM
I guess if I had one complaint about the game, I would say that when they designed it, their eyes were bigger than their stomachs, so to speak. The gameplay takes on an entirely new scope, with the use of anything and everything as being a climbable interface, the insertion of naval battle, and one-button dynamic for action use--it's no surprise there are glitches. My only real complaint comes down to the fact that they shouldn't have hurried to drop it during the Christmas season this year. While it is a full-game, it does have too many glitches, and not your Bethesda "THIS GAME WILL FREEZE" kind of glitches either, but ones that might actually impact your whole game. Had they taken a few more months to troubleshoot these problems, the game would be conceivably perfect, depending on your point of view. I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite being victimized by the "farmers 3/3" glitch.

zhengyingli
11-28-2012, 08:31 AM
I grew up with Native American's, I have Native American's in my family, not by blood but through marriage. I was born in Oregon but grew up in and live in Washington state surrounded by Native American's. Also, if everyone was jumping on the "stereotype" band wagon, wouldn't Ubisoft have had to make Connor (I can't believe I'm going to say this) a "*** backwards drunk"? This isn't Last of The Mohicans and Connor isn't Daniel Day-Lewis (although there are similarities between the two). So if everyone is basing their opinions of Connor on Daniel Day-Lewiss' character (Nathaniel Hawkeye), they are very unaware of Native American culture.
Everybody should see this interesting post. Glad I reserved judgement, as I knew that Ubi didn't hire a Native American consultant just for show. One thing I'm really curious about: The accents of Connor, Kaniehti:io and Kanento:kon sounds like regular American English to me, so does that mean our accents today were influenced by the Natives overtime? Had a discussion with someone on this board a while back and he seemed to agree with me. I figured that it wasn't a coincidence that those with that particular accents just happened to be the three Natives with big English lines.

vulgarhythms
11-28-2012, 08:40 AM
I agree with the point about realistic behavior among the Native American characters. However, all of my knowledge of Native American culture comes from Louise Erdrich and Sherman Alexie, so my point of view is as biased as anyone else's. Frankly, unless you know a traditionalist Indian (and all the Indians I know are art students who party as much as anyone else, so also not an effective source), it's nice to read that they hit the nail on the head.

Assassin_M
11-28-2012, 08:42 AM
Connor is boring..

zhengyingli
11-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Connor is boring..

How nice of you to join us... No sarcasm intended.

Assassin_M
11-28-2012, 08:55 AM
How nice of you to join us... No sarcasm intended.
Why thank you:p

So...I think Connor`s boring...Your thoughts ? and OP`s ?

massmurdera_666
11-28-2012, 09:07 AM
Connor definitely needs to get laid. He needs a love interest and funny friend to loosen him up a bit. He needs some down time, and to take a break from dealing with everyone else's problems. I mean seriously, herding pigs into a pen? Really? He's everyone's errand boy and it's degrading.

vulgarhythms
11-28-2012, 09:07 AM
Why thank you:p

So...I think Connor`s boring...Your thoughts ? and OP`s ? A lot of the things that happen to him, (like Achilles and Haytham at the end) were slightly predictable--frankly, I think if he were too emotive, it would've bordered on being annoyingly cliche and would have ruined the experience for me.

zhengyingli
11-28-2012, 09:19 AM
A lot of the things that happen to him, (like Achilles and Haytham at the end) were slightly predictable--frankly, I think if he were too emotive, it would've bordered on being annoyingly cliche and would have ruined the experience for me.
ESPECIALLY with Achilles! An extremely emotional scene without using shock value. My respect to the devs who proved that getting teary eyed from a seemingly unremarkable scene is not impossible.

Assassin_M
11-28-2012, 09:21 AM
ESPECIALLY with Achilles! An extremely emotional scene without using shock value. My respect to the devs who proved that getting teary eyed from a seemingly unremarkable scene is not impossible.
Never cried from a Video Game before. not even RDR, but this...

It just did it for me..

Btw..I was joking on that Connor is boring post :P. Just wanted to see reactions xD

vulgarhythms
11-28-2012, 09:23 AM
I dunno, man. In 1997's Final Fantasy VII, when Aeris gets stabbed through the sternum, I felt the tears.

I wonder if this post deserves a *spoiler* tag.

Assassin_M
11-28-2012, 09:29 AM
I dunno, man. In 1997's Final Fantasy VII, when Aeris gets stabbed through the sternum, I felt the tears.

I wonder if this post deserves a *spoiler* tag.
it`ll be moved to the hints and tips soon enough xD

TinyTemplar
11-28-2012, 09:42 AM
Connor definitely needs to get laid. He needs a love interest and funny friend to loosen him up a bit. He needs some down time, and to take a break from dealing with everyone else's problems. I mean seriously, herding pigs into a pen? Really? He's everyone's errand boy and it's degrading.

Connor is great, especially after the haircut. And he is very kind to his friends along with the cruelty to his enemies. I think this is sweet

psf22
11-28-2012, 10:03 AM
Connor is great, especially after the haircut. And he is very kind to his friends along with the cruelty to his enemies. I think this is sweet

Which haircut exactly? Is it just me or does Connor also have a random 1 night only haircut when he recruits Jacob Zenger, the one in East NY?

TinyTemplar
11-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Which haircut exactly? Is it just me or does Connor also have a random 1 night only haircut when he recruits Jacob Zenger, the one in East NY?
I did not make side missions, so the one that he got at the end of the main story)

psf22
11-28-2012, 10:23 AM
I did not pass side missions, so the one that he got at the end of the main story)

Word, I thought they all rocked even that 1 night only haircut. Wait you didn't even recruit all the assassins?!

TinyTemplar
11-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Wait you didn't even recruit all the assassins?!

Actually i'm on my way now)

psf22
11-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Actually i'm on my way now)

After you've recruited him, you first need to some missions, you'll get a cutscene. Let me know how it is. It might be even more random now that you've finished it, but still curious.

I can't recall reading about this in any thread, so weird since everyone points out all the glitches/bugs

Assassin_M
11-28-2012, 10:36 AM
After you've recruited him, you first need to some missions, you'll get a cutscene. Let me know how it is. It might be even more random now that you've finished it, but still curious.

I can't recall reading about this in any thread, so weird since everyone points out all the glitches/bugs
I think the script was not programmed to have the hood down for that scene or perhaps it WAS indeed scripted to be down ACCIDENTALLY and thus the Head model still acts like the hood is up and does not acknowledge that it is actually down evident by the hair not being rendered..

TinyTemplar
11-28-2012, 10:41 AM
omg, people experience such complicated problems, and I don't even know about them. I'll go find Jacob Zenger xD

psf22
11-28-2012, 10:51 AM
I think the script was not programmed to have the hood down for that scene or perhaps it WAS indeed scripted to be down ACCIDENTALLY and thus the Head model still acts like the hood is up and does not acknowledge that it is actually down evident by the hair not being rendered..

That's kind of what I was hoping, but now i can't recall if it's in other recruit cutscenes as well. I didn't even notice it the first time tbh.
Do you happen to remember?

Assassin_M
11-28-2012, 10:55 AM
That's kind of what I was hoping, but now i can't recall if it's in other recruit cutscenes as well. I didn't even notice it the first time tbh.
Do you happen to remember?
I only saw it with Jacob AND during Haytham`s funeral while I was wearing Achilles outfit..

Both times laughed my A out xP`

psf22
11-28-2012, 11:04 AM
I only saw it with Jacob AND during Haytham`s funeral while I was wearing Achilles outfit..

Both times laughed my A out xP`

Know what you mean, it was so out of the blue lol
Thanks for confirmation.

I found a few posts, and it seems it's incidental in regards to Jacob but not when wearing alt costumes apparently (?)

Probably 1.03 fix

Assassin_M
11-28-2012, 11:11 AM
Know what you mean, it was so out of the blue lol
Thanks for confirmation.

I found a few posts, and it seems it's incidental in regards to Jacob but not when wearing alt costumes apparently (?)

Probably 1.03 fix
The thing with Alternate outfits is that, they did not program the script to have the hood removed for Alternate outfits. Kinda like Altair`s armor in AC II where his hood remains up in scenes that have the hood down.

Now when used in that Scene, which forcibly has the hood removed, the Outfit generates the script which IT thinks the hood is still up, but something goes wrong and the hood is down so it shows that Head model instead of the correct one..

Poor thing probably just got confused xD

psf22
11-28-2012, 11:21 AM
The thing with Alternate outfits is that, they did not program the script to have the hood removed for Alternate outfits. Kinda like Altair`s armor in AC II where his hood remains up in scenes that have the hood down.

Now when used in that Scene, which forcibly has the hood removed, the Outfit generates the script which IT thinks the hood is still up, but something goes wrong and the hood is down so it shows that Head model instead of the correct one..

Forcibly made me really LOL as I could literally see it in front of me as you worded it.

Assassin_M
11-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Forcibly made me really LOL as I could literally see it in front of me as you worded it.
You have a creative Imagination xD

And that`s the only plus side to what you just said:p

psf22
11-28-2012, 11:29 AM
You have a creative Imagination xD

And that`s the only plus side to what you just said:p

In all honesty, I'm still laughing just about how you said it. And then I see it, then i think about it etc.

ROFL

Assassin_M
11-28-2012, 11:32 AM
In all honesty, I'm still laughing just about how you said it. And then I see it, then i think about it etc.

ROFL
Nothing like some Unintentional Humor xD

psf22
11-28-2012, 12:06 PM
Nothing like some Unintentional Humor xD

Just when I had finally cooled off, or so I thought, had to go for a walk while LMAO, I saw this small cat eat grass religiously, couldn't stop myself from bursting out again.

pirate1802
11-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Just when I had finally cooled off, or so I thought, had to go for a walk while LMAO, I saw this small cat eat grass religiously, couldn't stop myself from bursting out again.

LOL Religiously xD haha

pirate1802
11-28-2012, 12:57 PM
On topic: Kudos OP for a well-thought out post. It's not a rant at all, though I expected this to be another of..those threads xD

I noticed Connor and Ziio (and maybe others too, but I haven't gotten that far) have an American accent. Now I know Ubisoft may have many flaws, but they do their research "religiously" xD And they also hired Native American experts. So, any thoughts why their accents are like that? I'm sure there is a reason for it rather than it being just an oversight (it's a pretty big oversight if it is.)

NeverThat
11-28-2012, 01:47 PM

Perhaps he'll hook up with Aveline or an American woman in AC4 who will 'liberate' him.

MasterAssasin84
11-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Perhaps he'll hook up with Aveline or an American woman in AC4 who will 'liberate' him.

I would be willing to bet its going to be dobby carter because after you have completed all the liberation missions in New York you can have an interactive conversation with her and she asks him why he has not settled down ? Connor replies i am to busy and would not make suitable husband right now then Dobby asks him to consider her as a wife when he gets well lets say lonely and he makes her a promise lol :).

Dont belive me go and listen to it yourselves .

TinyTemplar
11-28-2012, 06:13 PM
now I see this "haircut"... The question is how can I get rid of it :confused:

psf22
11-29-2012, 07:47 AM
now I see this "haircut"... The question is how can I get rid of it :confused:

An eventual fix should get rid of it

avk111
11-29-2012, 09:15 AM

Agreed 300 percent though what I don't get is how he detached himself from his tribes final ordeal I.e. them being kicked out by the new government makes the plot sound so American hurra plot.

cmrggamer
11-29-2012, 03:25 PM
@OP: Wow, when I read the title of this thread that was not the post I expected. I agree with everything you said, thank you for the thought-out and honest review!