PDA

View Full Version : AC3 historian Maxime Durand Interview

ProletariatPleb
11-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Not sure if this has been posted already but here goes.

Summary only (read article in link down below):
Two weeks ago, the Globe and Mail published an editorial titled “Assassin’s Creed III videogame distorts history.” The op-ed argued that the latest mega-game from Ubisoft Montreal distorts the historical facts – primarily by suggesting that a Native American Assassin would ever join the cause of the American Revolutionaries against the British Loyalists.

“Assassin’s Creed III is set in 1765, and promotional material describes how, as ‘a Native American assassin, (you) eliminate your enemies with guns, bows, tomahawks, and more!’ To suggest indigenous peoples rallied to the side of the colonists in their fight for freedom grotesquely twists the facts,” writes the Globe, seemingly taking all of its information about the game from press releases and promotional material.

The article is filled with inaccuracies both about the Revolutionary War (Native Americans often found themselves on both sides of the war) and the game itself – for one, the game’s storyline spans several decades in and around the Revolution, including a long prelude during the French and Indian War.

The article was widely mocked online, becoming one of the most-read on theglobeandmail.com. The Twitter hashtag #GlobeEditorial became a trending topic in Canada, where gamers and other readers posted satirical “historical inaccuracies” as portrayed in several other video games.

We’re not going to go in-depth on the problems with the Globe’s editorial – many others have done so quite admirably. Instead we talked to Maxime Durand, Ubisoft Montreal’s team historian for Assassin’s Creed III. He declined to comment on the Globe’s editorial, but spoke at length about how the team weaved historical fact with the fantastical fiction of Connor Kenway and his present-day descendants.

Link:
http://dorkshelf.com/2012/11/27/interview-assassins-creed-3-historian-maxime-durand/

Dangerzone50
11-27-2012, 08:14 PM
yes, paul Revere made his hostoric ride while riding with an indian... the boston tea party happened in the dead of knight with no one knowing, not during a fight which killed a hundred redcoats (they also dressed as indians in case they got spotted) ... and dont even get me started on their version of the boston massacre, it was just wrong in every way

but i dont care, i didnt play this game to see history as it happened verbatim... that's why i got the HBO John Adams set a few years back