PDA

View Full Version : movie maker advice

XyZspineZyX
10-14-2003, 05:08 PM
I'm currently studying non-linear editing and thought some basic guidance would be usefull to you aspiring film makers out there.
These are not the definitive rules for film making, only ones that i use and find the most productive...

Planning
Ive noticed alot of the films posted have little to none actual story. This is bad. It makes for a dull movie.
Im not trying to offend anyone, just being honest.
It really does help to write a story out first. No matter how loosely you do it. Sketches, scribbles or anything that helps keeps direction will do. You can and will change this as new ideas come into your head.

A story must have a beginning, middle and end. You must set up a situation where people want to know what happens next.
The beginning section should end with an event that sends the story off in a different direction usually around a quarter of the way through the movie. For example the "beginning" section could show planes scrambling and taking off, the "middle" section should be around half the length of the entire movie and this is where all the main stuff happens, and at around three quarters through the movie you need to head towards a conclusion. Shot down, emergency landing, flying home etc.

Story-board each part of the story with rough sketches, approximating what each scene should look like and lay them out in sequence. These dont have to be complicated. Line/stick drawings with arrows to show movement will be plenty. And make lots! you will end up dumping most of them.
Remember to include room for credits and establishment (scene setting) shots at the beginning of the film.

This will of course take time but its the biggest part of the work and proper planning will make for an more engaging piece and quicker completion. You will know excactly what you need to shoot in order to get the film made rather than wading through hours of footage looking for something that might look cool but has bugger all to do with the story.

Shooting
I wont go into this much here, just Try to keep to the story board where possible. Remember you have an unlimited variety of camera angles (set some up in FMB) and a huge variety of aircraft.
When shooting; never ever zoom in in shots and dont 'hosepipe' (just letting the camera roll and filmimg whatever happens) it looks amateur.
Plan your shots. Refer to the story board and stick as close to it as possible.

Editing
Write an edit decision list (EDL). This is a log of all the footage shot. Detailing where they fit in the story board, what time they come in at and how long they last. You should look towards eight to ten shots a minute to keep
things lively.
Dont be afraid to dump scenes if they dont fit the story. Even if they have something that looks really cool and took ages to capture. If they dont fit the story there is no reason to keep them.

Remember editing isnt just about cutting the crappy bits out. It there to make the material flow between scenes and angles logically. Done properly it will heighten atmosphere and give different perpectives to the subjects and events unfolding.
Put simply it should help tell the story without trying to be snazzy this will only detract from the message.

Now go watch TV or your favourite action movie and take mental notes of how many cuts are made. You'll be surprised!
In college we look to get on average, about two or three minutes worth of useable footage out of every forty five filmed!!!

Again these are my own basic methods adapted from what ive been taught. Take from them what you will.There are loads of resources on the net to help you along if you do not understand my rambling...

Have fun

"Doctor Fact is knocking at the door. Someone, please, let the man in!"

XyZspineZyX
10-14-2003, 05:08 PM
I'm currently studying non-linear editing and thought some basic guidance would be usefull to you aspiring film makers out there.
These are not the definitive rules for film making, only ones that i use and find the most productive...

Planning
Ive noticed alot of the films posted have little to none actual story. This is bad. It makes for a dull movie.
Im not trying to offend anyone, just being honest.
It really does help to write a story out first. No matter how loosely you do it. Sketches, scribbles or anything that helps keeps direction will do. You can and will change this as new ideas come into your head.

A story must have a beginning, middle and end. You must set up a situation where people want to know what happens next.
The beginning section should end with an event that sends the story off in a different direction usually around a quarter of the way through the movie. For example the "beginning" section could show planes scrambling and taking off, the "middle" section should be around half the length of the entire movie and this is where all the main stuff happens, and at around three quarters through the movie you need to head towards a conclusion. Shot down, emergency landing, flying home etc.

Story-board each part of the story with rough sketches, approximating what each scene should look like and lay them out in sequence. These dont have to be complicated. Line/stick drawings with arrows to show movement will be plenty. And make lots! you will end up dumping most of them.
Remember to include room for credits and establishment (scene setting) shots at the beginning of the film.

This will of course take time but its the biggest part of the work and proper planning will make for an more engaging piece and quicker completion. You will know excactly what you need to shoot in order to get the film made rather than wading through hours of footage looking for something that might look cool but has bugger all to do with the story.

Shooting
I wont go into this much here, just Try to keep to the story board where possible. Remember you have an unlimited variety of camera angles (set some up in FMB) and a huge variety of aircraft.
When shooting; never ever zoom in in shots and dont 'hosepipe' (just letting the camera roll and filmimg whatever happens) it looks amateur.
Plan your shots. Refer to the story board and stick as close to it as possible.

Editing
Write an edit decision list (EDL). This is a log of all the footage shot. Detailing where they fit in the story board, what time they come in at and how long they last. You should look towards eight to ten shots a minute to keep
things lively.
Dont be afraid to dump scenes if they dont fit the story. Even if they have something that looks really cool and took ages to capture. If they dont fit the story there is no reason to keep them.

Remember editing isnt just about cutting the crappy bits out. It there to make the material flow between scenes and angles logically. Done properly it will heighten atmosphere and give different perpectives to the subjects and events unfolding.
Put simply it should help tell the story without trying to be snazzy this will only detract from the message.

Now go watch TV or your favourite action movie and take mental notes of how many cuts are made. You'll be surprised!
In college we look to get on average, about two or three minutes worth of useable footage out of every forty five filmed!!!

Again these are my own basic methods adapted from what ive been taught. Take from them what you will.There are loads of resources on the net to help you along if you do not understand my rambling...

Have fun

XyZspineZyX
10-14-2003, 08:02 PM
Please join Virtual War cinema and post your fine tutorial/advice in the Tutorial section/forum at VWC where it can be permanently kept and available to newbies and others... http://www.blacksheepwebdesign.net/VirtualWarCinema/

The advantage of VWC is that posts such as yours can be permanently available...Since the UBI search Almost NEVER works, people coming new to the movie-making niche will be forever repeating the same questions/seeking the same type advice....

<center>Wiley</center><center><font color="#FF0000";font size="3pt">Click HERE to visit Wiley'sWWIIGunCameraWorld (http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~chapman/flightsims/oberstguncam/Frameset/)</center>
<center>http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/preview/wi/wileycoyote2/IwoJimatiny2.gif (http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~chapman/flightsims/oberstguncam/Movies/SandsOne.WMV) </center>
<center><font size ="2pt">Click Flag-Raising for the Full-Size(4.2Mb) Version</center>

XyZspineZyX
10-14-2003, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the positive response. Feel free to copy and paste away.
Just trying to get the ball rolling so to speak.

XyZspineZyX
10-14-2003, 09:07 PM
Franta, great tips. Appreciate it.

I got grand ideas in my head but somehow I have to make it reasonable.

I think most mm's (movie makers) or atleast I have little patience so wanna go directly to editing and skip the storyboard.
But I totally agree with u that for a movie to be interesting it needs the story.

Hope we see more of that.

http://members.chello.se/ven/milton.jpg

XyZspineZyX
10-15-2003, 04:53 AM
Concerning movies with stories...sometimes I just like to wathc movies with absolutely no background. It isn't always a bad thing not to have no story. :0

XyZspineZyX
10-15-2003, 08:45 AM
Yes I do think it is a bad thing. It is a "movie making" forum after all. If they dont have any story content then what is the point? You'd be as well just watching an .ntrk.
I think you are missinterpreting my use of the word 'story'. Im not demanding that they write a war novel, just that they take the viewer into consideration. There needs to be some sort of development in scenes rather than aeroplanes just blazing away at each other. I have watched some and not had a bloody clue what was going on. Sure there are some nice explosions and stuff but in the end these are not the ones i remember or keep to show people.

XyZspineZyX
10-15-2003, 11:26 AM
I agree with Franta on this one even though I'm personally too lazy to make an intriguing story with love and war. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Some vids I've seen I have had a hard time IDing who's who resulting in that I dunno if I should cheer or cry when a plane gets shot down.

More like a fast and furious music video sometimes. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

http://members.chello.se/ven/milton.jpg