PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the exciting chases that were in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood?

Theguy8585
11-25-2012, 10:22 AM
Am I the only one that loved missions like a wolf in sheep's clothing, and the romulus dungeons, they were really fun platforming puzzles/slash exciting chases with epic assassination endings. Why have they become non-existent, I barely saw any in revelations, and even less in ACIII. I really think they were one of the best things about the franchise. Anyone else agree or am I just crazy nostagic, and enjoy these more than most people?

I mean heres a crappy video from youtube, of the mission, listen to that music, and it was so epic and fun, when I first played it.

A Wolf in Sheep's clothing romulus lair
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=smw8RhEaBPU

NeverThat
11-25-2012, 10:46 AM
I haven't played AC3 long enough to experience that but my guess is that Ubi like most devs streamline current games to appeal to more gamers. Perhaps people complained about chase sequences being too frustrating in general. Hence the 'making Charles Lee chase easier fix in the Thanksgiving patch for AC3. Those romulus dungeons are pretty fun but nothing tops the templar lairs and assassin tombs from AC2.

TwoDents
11-25-2012, 10:49 AM
I agree, it would've been nice. Shame though, Pegleg missions seem to be the most similar (while not being very similar at all, but there is nothing really else that seem to be "dungeons") to these types of dungeons in Brotherhood. While I did not like Brotherhood that much, the dungeons were fun to go through.

Assassin_M
11-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Ah Helloooo ?? So no one did the Peg Leg missions ???

ace3001
11-25-2012, 10:53 AM
The Peg Leg missions were great. Left me wanting more like that. They were really too short, especially compared to AC2's tombs and ACB's Romulus lairs.

zhengyingli
11-25-2012, 10:53 AM
Ah Helloooo ?? So no one did the Peg Leg missions ???
Mad Doctor detective stuff? Awesome.

Assassin_M
11-25-2012, 10:54 AM
The Peg Leg missions were great. Left me wanting more like that. They were really too short, especially compared to AC2's tombs and ACB's Romulus lairs.
But they`re there right ?? Not fair to simply dismiss it all...

Assassin_M
11-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Mad Doctor detective stuff? Awesome.
Yeah I LOVED that level....Even more than all the previous secret locations..

ace3001
11-25-2012, 10:56 AM
But they`re there right ?? Not fair to simply dismiss it all...
Obviously.

Assassin_M
11-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Obviously.
That`s what I`m saying. OP is claiming that they`re never there in AC III....

Theguy8585
11-25-2012, 10:57 AM
AssassinM, crap, I just finished the main campaign, and lost interest, but if thats what those peg leg missions are I guess I'll go back and check them out, if they can even slightly rekindle the excitment of my beloved dungeons from Brotherhood, I'll be happier, how many peg leg missions are there in total?

*Also, maybe understand why people like may be disappointed. I hadn't even done any of those, because they're not front and center, and game is so sprawling that I just feel overwhelmed by many of the tedius collection tasks, not to mention the unnecessarily annoying lock picking stuff.

Assassin_M
11-25-2012, 10:59 AM
AssassinM, **** I just finished the main campaign, and lost interest, but if thats what those peg leg missions are I guess I'll go back and check them out, if they can even slightly rekindle the excitment of my beloved dungeons from Brotherhood, I'll be happier, how many peg leg missions are there in total?

BeCk41
11-25-2012, 10:59 AM
oh yeah, I forgot about the Romulus missions and confusing mazes that would get me lost. Back when the fighting was easy and not as hard as it is now. :|

ace3001
11-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Yeah I LOVED that level....Even more than all the previous secret locations..That was easily the best one out of the peg leg missions. Not sure whether I like it more than AC2/B ones, though.

http://i.imgur.com/HPDnK.jpg

Almost couldn't solve the "riddle" on time. :p

Assassin_M
11-25-2012, 11:02 AM
The awesome thing about that level was that it`s actually a real place based on a real person...and that pit was real

zhengyingli
11-25-2012, 11:02 AM
That was easily the best one out of the peg leg missions. Not sure whether I like it more than AC2/B ones, though.

I love 'em all, but I would like the peg leg missions to be a bit physically bigger.

ace3001
11-25-2012, 11:03 AM
The last one is a lot different to the previous ones, though. Only a very short platforming section at the end. Mostly annoying wolves. I'm almost certain they made the QTE timing tighter for that mission. -_-

Assassin_M
11-25-2012, 11:04 AM
The last one is a lot different to the previous ones, though. Only a very short platforming section at the end. Mostly annoying wolves. I'm almost certain they made the QTE timing tighter for that mission. -_-
Not sure..

It still counts as a secret missions, though :P

The choice of liking it or not is up to him

ace3001
11-25-2012, 11:05 AM
I love 'em all, but I would like the peg leg missions to be a bit physically bigger.Same. Except for the mad doctor level, all others felt too short.

ProdiGurl
11-25-2012, 12:12 PM
oh yeah, I forgot about the Romulus missions and confusing mazes that would get me lost. Back when the fighting was easy and not as hard as it is now. :|

Ya I def. think the fighting's harder or at least more challenging than before. I wasn't a huge fan of the Romulus lairs. Some of them were ok.
& @ the OP wanting more chases? No. Please no. I did a chase last night in a main mission & I remembered why I loathe them in AC.
I lost count of the amount of times I had to retry it. :(

Assassin_M
11-25-2012, 12:14 PM
I wasn't a huge fan of the Romulus lairs. Some of them were ok.
& @ the OP wanting more chases? No. Please no. I did a chase last night in a main mission & I remembered why I loathe them in AC.
I lost count of the amount of times I had to retry it. :(
lmao you still haven't done it ?? :P

You know ?? Sometimes I ask my self....I`v been creepy to all females here, but you...I wonder why....I MAY rectify that situation, through:p

Theguy8585
11-25-2012, 12:16 PM
bah, but the chase missions in this one aren't that good, the ones in brotherhood were actually exciting. The only moment that creates the feeling I'm talking about is when you have to run through the city in ACIII when its being bombarded by ships at the harbor, thats what I miss, that feeling of excitment and running. It's gone downhill from brotherhood.

AS AN EXAMPLE SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT

The mission where you chase Charles Lee is most definitely a bad example of a good chase sequence, it has no momentum and is basically there to illustrate the terrible new running controls, don't want to climb those crates, don't hold RT, oh wait you have to keep up, so I have to run, yeah so hold RT, but then I accidentaly climb crates, see its improved!!! Secondly, once you enter the burning ship, you climb up and have no clear sense of direction, I can't count the number of times I restarted because I was confused about wher eI had to go. That is the definition of bad level design. For a game that guides its players so much, it's stupefying to see where it expects them to figure out things on its own.

pirate1802
11-25-2012, 12:19 PM
creepy M is creepeh..

zhengyingli
11-25-2012, 12:27 PM
bah, but the chase missions in this one aren't that good, the ones in brotherhood were actually exciting. The only moment that creates the feeling I'm talking about is when you have to run through the city in ACIII when its being bombarded by ships at the harbor, thats what I miss, that feeling of excitment and running. It's gone downhill from brotherhood.

AS AN EXAMPLE SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT

The mission where you chase Charles Lee is most definitely a bad example of a good chase sequence, it has no momentum and is basically there to illustrate the terrible new running controls, don't want to climb those crates, don't hold RT, oh wait you have to keep up, so I have to run, yeah so hold RT, but then I accidentaly climb crates, see its improved!!! Secondly, once you enter the burning ship, you climb up and have no clear sense of direction, I can't count the number of times I restarted because I was confused about wher eI had to go. That is the definition of bad level design. For a game that guides its players so much, it's stupefying to see where it expects them to figure out things on its own.

How about vaulting? You can vault over the barrels. Did you try that? Charles Lee's chase was pretty easy.

Theguy8585
11-25-2012, 12:29 PM
I agree its easy and boring, I only kept restarting because after you climb up in the ship, it is unclear which way you have to go, and I wasn't the only one, my nephew beat the game weeks before me, and I called him over after like 10 tries, and he said "yeah I know, I had the same problems its right there." But you're right about the vaulting, that would have made it even easier, but nevertheless just as boring.

Assassin_M
11-25-2012, 12:32 PM
I agree its easy and boring, I only kept restarting because after you climb up in the ship, it is unclear which way you have to go, and I wasn't the only one, my nephew beat the game weeks before me, and I called him over after like 10 tries, and he said "yeah I know, I had the same problems its right there." But you're right about the vaulting, that would have made it even easier, but nevertheless just as boring.
I faill to see how Chases that include Vaulting, diving, ducking, jumping and running are more boring than chases that only had running and jumping..

zhengyingli
11-25-2012, 12:35 PM
I faill to see how Chases that include Vaulting, diving, ducking, jumping and running are more boring than chases that only had running and jumping..
Dude, did you divert to the ship as a short cut before going into the under-construction-ship? Though unnecessary, it was a chase path worthy of a Hollywood blockbuster.

Assassin_M
11-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Dude, did you divert to the ship as a short cut before going into the under-construction-ship? Though unnecessary, it was a chase path worthy of a Hollywood blockbuster.
Yup :P

Theguy8585
11-25-2012, 12:52 PM
First. Which chases are you talking about? Does this occur in one of the peg leg missions? Secondly, I understand, you love this game, its perfect in your eyes, because you seem to post religiously defending this version of ACIII. So, try this, imagine I loved AC:B just like you love ACIII. This is why I and others may disagree with you, we miss the new direction, and really hope the series returns to its roots. Do you know the lead designer of AC Series, left after brotherhood. And naturally, the game began to shift in design philosophy. I now believe AC fans can be placed into two groups, those who long for a return to the gameplay mechanics of ACII and AC:B, and those such as yourself, who genuinely like the changes made in the newer iterations such as Revelations and now ACIII. Both opinions are valid, so it isn't necessary for you to constantly refute people's opinions in such a passive aggressive manner. I'm not saying either of us are right or wrong, but could you accept that others may not feel as you do, without resorting to passive aggressive statements such as "I faill to see how Chases that include Vaulting, diving, ducking, jumping and running are more boring than chases that only had running and jumping.."

I have a feeling you'll interpret this message wrong and confirm all my suspicions by continuing your patronizing comments, but maybe you'll pleasantly surprise me.

psf22
11-25-2012, 12:59 PM
Really? Which chases?

zhengyingli
11-25-2012, 01:01 PM
First. Which chases are you talking about? Does this occur in one of the peg leg missions? Secondly, I understand, you love this game, its perfect in your eyes, because you seem to post religiously defending this version of ACIII. So, try this, imagine I loved AC:B just like you love ACIII. This is why I and others may disagree with you, we miss the new direction, and really hope the series returns to its roots. Do you know the lead designer of AC Series, left after brotherhood. And naturally, the game began to shift in design philosophy. I now believe AC fans can be placed into two groups, those who long for a return to the gameplay mechanics of ACII and AC:B, and those such as yourself, who genuinely like the changes made in the newer iterations such as Revelations and now ACIII. Both opinions are valid, so it isn't necessary for you to constantly refute people's opinions in such a passive aggressive manner. I'm not saying either of us are right or wrong, but could you accept that others may not feel as you do, without resorting to passive aggressive statements such as "I faill to see how Chases that include Vaulting, diving, ducking, jumping and running are more boring than chases that only had running and jumping.."

I have a feeling you'll interpret this message wrong and confirm all my suspicions by continuing your patronizing comments, but maybe you'll pleasantly surprise me.
It's called a disagreement. For the record, both M and I see a lot of flaws with aciii. Perfect game? Not even close.

Sackprince
11-25-2012, 01:05 PM

peg leg mission 2 has it but i havent doing anymore. but the peg leg mission's are kind of the same as romeuleswhatever. only you need to find the trinkts that are marked on your map lame.