PDA

View Full Version : My problems with the game so far...

Durakken
11-25-2012, 12:26 AM
If I had not watched the previous games I would pretty clueless about most of the mechanics of how to do things in general play. I know that if you play multiple games it would get extremely boring to relearn all the movements again and again, but not everyone picks the game up from the beginning. To fix that you should have a tutorial mode where anything that isn't new to the game explained only if you have it on...

Likewise, I don't need to be reminded that I can jump backwards every time. So where you have no tutorials you also have "tips" that clutter the screen which is really annoying.

the small dot indicating the goal is worst than the large ring on the floor indicating the goal.

While the whole mapping while moving and mapping more when higher up, I find that it is highly annoying that I can't just by a map the fill in those areas or go to viewpoints that covered the entire map rather than only a small portion (obviously if this is included later in the game ok, but really then it should in earlier). I think both ways are ok and have their merits, but I think a better way would be if you could buy a map and it would show up on your map display as those types of maps that we used to make that weren't completely accurate, but as you explore and go to view points it gets filled in.

You have to explain the mechanics... Especially with the home stead. You explain something that everyone can figure out, but leave out how the system actually works. How often do these people restock their supplies, where can i get traders, how do i make convoys, how do i get these artisans to level up, HOW DO I DEFEND MY CONVOY, etc. I should not have to look outside of the game for the answers to these questions.

Speaking of that homesteads... having to send them yourself is a pain because it means that you have to find a general store every 15 to 20 mins...and there is only 6 in the game and they aren't the easiest thing to find. Why can't I hire someone on the homestead to handle this or why can't Achiles? Why can't I access this via some sub menu? Surely if I can be told that I need to defend my convoy magically I should be able to send my convoy out magically.

Inventory management... it's horrible. If I want to send 6 of the same pelts for example to the same place I have to scroll down, find the pelt, select the trader, each time, instead of just being able to select multiples and having the game lay it out as needed. And on top of that I have to go through a long list of items to get to the thing i need which isn't even in any practical order.

Buying the map of the chests in Boston and then one not showing up ... bad form.

It would be nice if the game had a option that you could turn that the moment you failed to get one of the sub-requirements it would ask if you wanted to reload that section to try again especially since sometimes you don't know until it is too late and you have to go through the whole mission again.

Stop with the magically appearing stuff and the thrown into the fray with no warning stuff and then expecting people to accomplish things. This has caused me to repeat missions over and over and over again because either I'm trying to figure out what you want me to do or I'm trying to read the tips or just not ready at all for anything that's happening.

On the other side of the spectrum we have the game literally taking control away or making it impossible to do something while it's calling something out to be aware that you're already aware of but can do anything about because you're locked into the game telling you to pay attention. This has happened 2 or 3 times on the naval missions i've done of the 3 or 4 naval missions i have...The protect the merchant ship one especially irritated me to no end because the guy would call out there were ships coming which would pan the camera over and just sit there and if I was actually prepared for it it would sometimes break my swivel gun controls and other times it would get locked on him so i couldn't do anything and even when it did the average run it still allow them to get shots off on the merchant ship even though I knew they were there, were targeting them, and just waiting for them to come out when all of sudden "OMG THERE ARE SHIPS OVER THERE!!!!"

... Oh also... whoever made the decision to "hide" certain objectives while having all the other ones shown on the map, like the North Boston Liberation hidden mission... please please smack that person. As yoda says. Do or Do not...but don't do half and half and especially don't do half and half and not explain it any where sheesh... and if you do for some reason still do do that... don't have a message keep popping up telling me to look for an icon that isn't there v.v

I think that's enough... there's probably more that I could think of and more that i'll find, but that's long enough...

MrMactu
11-25-2012, 07:12 AM
I did not play the first two but read several good reviews on ACIII. I guess they did not play the same game I purchased as DLC through Steam. I expected a digital manual, but there was none. Even the controls listed in Windows PC Keyboard and Mouse Controls do not function as listed. As I watch YouTube videos (first time I've been forced to do that and I've played games for longer than some readers have been alive!) I see combat in action, but my avatar has no way to fight. Q shoots his pistol if he's lucky, mouse buttons do nothing. I've been around and around the "memory" points more times than a merry-go-round on steroids. Gameinformer's reviewshould have told PC users to spend their money on something else.

Durakken
11-26-2012, 12:29 AM
I did not play the first two but read several good reviews on ACIII. I guess they did not play the same game I purchased as DLC through Steam. I expected a digital manual, but there was none. Even the controls listed in Windows PC Keyboard and Mouse Controls do not function as listed. As I watch YouTube videos (first time I've been forced to do that and I've played games for longer than some readers have been alive!) I see combat in action, but my avatar has no way to fight. Q shoots his pistol if he's lucky, mouse buttons do nothing. I've been around and around the "memory" points more times than a merry-go-round on steroids. Gameinformer's reviewshould have told PC users to spend their money on something else.

The thing is. When it's working it's a very good game with a great story.
But when it's not working it pulls you out of the game and infuriates you so much, not because it is "hard" but because it is cheap. I often find myself lost due to no explanation, or the controls suddenly stopped working, or something didn't work properly, like interacting not always lighting up. I spent 5-6 hours doing that fort mission where you have to listen to the conversation, take out 2 cannon, get the map, and be undetected because i had gone to the waypoint for the map and nothing to interact with was there, and then i proceded to try to figure out how to escape without being detected because i had heard you had to make your way back to Ziio to complete the mission and missed the "get the map part" in the guide. Last night a good 20+ minutes trying to kill a bunch of ships in a 1:30 which, ok, can be done with no upgrades, i assume, which is just cutting it on the line of "impossibility vs challenge" but then that was followed up with the mission where you have to infiltrate 2 boats and get off without detection... and "air assassinate a grenadier" and this just is annoying. My goal in this is to blow the ship up without being detected... and the point of the synchronization is that these are things that character DID and so when you do them it synchonizing you better however there is no point at which it make any sense to do that. A much better requirement for that mission would have been a timer contextually. These little things pull me out of the game, but they do so increasingly because the controls are too sensitive or too insensitive all the time and this almost always causes troubles and pulls me out of the game.

As to the reviews. I've heard mostly negative things from reviewers. The only reason I own the game is because I got it free with a gfx card, but I don't think it is as bad as most reviewers I've heard critique it say, one of which was wildly unfair, and I ignore most of the people complaining about story because most people simply can't follow it well enough to have very much valid to say about it, especially those who want to change the ending or think that AC3 is the end of the franchise... they're fans and they don't know it was never a trilogy v.v I didn't even pay much attention to the franchise and I knew that. I think as long as you have a PC controller the controls are fine. Haven't tried to play without one. I think the story so far is pretty good, but pretty standard with AC games which is basically Templars killed my family and I want revenge and now I have a list of several people that i need to kill to get to the guy i really want to deal with which all happens while desmond gets some piece of the overall puzzle of what's happening. You start from 0 equipment so you have to move to a new area/char or where you stored your old stuff has to be destroyed. It's all fairly standard so I don't see how if you were a fan of the previous games you could not like this one story wise.

With the reviews of games though. What you have to realize is that there are very few games that really aren't decent so what reviewers tend to complain about when they are reviewing new games is really minor nitpicks or things that bug them and not really anything to do with the overall game and it is generally a brief look into something rather than a fully experienced look at it. An 'Oh i see how that works let's move on" reading of the stuff in the game and very little else. For example the Homestead/convoy system they had. at first glance is a decent system, but turns out is a very bad mechanic that takes you out of the experience, isn't well explained, and by the time it bears any fruit beyond it's initial stuff it is pointless. I think it's an interesting concept to start with, but I wish they would have built this onto the AC2, Brotherhood, Revelations, model of economy rather than redoing it. The assassin guild stuff I'm disappointed in, but someone who is a complete new-comer wouldn't be and a cursory glance wouldn't reveal that they removed a lot of the features of the previous versions which I thought were pretty cool. And it looks like the game developers really only did a cursory glance at the game testers because I can't imagine someone not noticing how frustrating, annoying, pointless, or immersion breaking a lot of this stuff is... not in the "challenging" way, but in the "this is definitely the game fault that I messed up the last 80 times"

montagemik
11-26-2012, 03:16 AM
Dear ubisoft , please open up my whole game so i don't have to explore anything & map anything myself ...........& Could you also hold my hand through the levels & tell me exactly what to do in every instance . This would be very helpful because without a step by step manual - i can't figure **** all out.
Many thanks .:rolleyes:

Whatever happened to learning as you play guys - AC3 isn't exactly HARD