PDA

View Full Version : i3 or i5 for AC3?

al-Assas
11-23-2012, 02:11 PM
There are a lot of reports on graphics card performance, but I'm not sure about the CPU issue.

My goal is to record gameplay videos at a steady 30 fps at 1366x768 resolution, with maximum settings, with reasonable AA. (But AA probably doesn't take any CPU anyway, so that should be irrelevant.)

I will probably buy a 7770, or a 650 ti 1 GB, or a 7850 1 GB.

Should I buy an i3-3220 or an i5-3450?

There are reports that say that core scaling is good. Like this article with an AMD CPU:

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Assassins-Creed-3-PC-235361/Tests/Assassins-Creed-3-Test-Benchmarks-1036472/

Or this article with an Intel CPU:

http://www.computerbase.de/news/2012-11/eigene-benchmarks-zu-assassins-creed-iii/

But others say that one of the cores is maxed out, and the rest are not working very much at all. And I've seen one or two pretty fluent Youtube city-gameplay videos that claim to have been done with an i3-2120, which suggests that the heavy CPU-demand that this game seems to have is more of a one-thread demand.

So, what do you think? Is it worth buying an i5 rather than in i3 for AC3?

ZangetsuAC
11-23-2012, 03:01 PM
It's true that most applications only utilize 2 cores. If you go with the i3, you can easily overclock it to some 4-4.5 ghz and never have a problem with anything. My older gen i3 is sitting comfortably on 3.7 ghz and it's never let me down. Probably a perfect match to go along with the 7850 you can get with the savings. xD

al-Assas
01-31-2013, 05:52 PM
After months and months of looking at hardware reviews, and then, after the release, reading all the benchmark reviews and individual fps reports that I could get my hands on, I am just about to buy my PC for AC3.

I never really found any reports where the i3-2120 (let alone the i3-3220) is probably really driven to its limits, with a powerful enough video card at a low enough resolution, except in this article:

http://gamegpu.ru/action-/-fps-/-tps/assassins-creed-iii-test-gpu.html

And based on that, I decided that I'd buy an i3-3220 and a GTX 650 Ti OC. (I'll play at 1366x768, and probably it will be no problem for me to play with medium AA, and decrease a bit the details setting for the CPU, or other settings for the video hardware)

But then, just a few days ago I discovered this one, another benchmark article, and now I am having terrible doubts about that build.

http://www.overclockers.ru/lab/51113/Assassin_s_Creed_III_testirovanie_proizvoditelnost i.html

Going by these numbers, it seems that I could have more FPS if I bought an i5-3450 and a Radeon HD 7770 instead. This pairing is still a bit more costly, but I could sett off the difference if I buy 4GB of RAM instead of 8.

What should I do? Which numbers should I believe? Is there maybe someone with some experience with these parts that could help me in this decision?

juliovodoo
01-31-2013, 06:04 PM
Recently I updated my PC from an older C2D E8400 to an i3 3220 and the change is great. Now I can play AC 3 at 1680x1050 with no problem (everything on high except shadows on very high) and from my experience I can tell that an i3 3220 with 2 cores (but 4 real threads) is enough for games, even for this very demanding game AC 3. I also have an ATI 6870 and 4 Gb of ram.

Of course I canīt play at 60 FPS but sometimes yes, or 45 or 53 and nearly never under 30 FPS.

An i5 is better of course but if you take in mind that power comsumption is also another factor to take into account, the differences are huge. My i3 power comsumption is ridiculous compared to an i5.

So take this in mind and do not regret for buying an i3 3220 Ivy Bridge (new technology of 22 nm) because youīll be really satisfied as I am.

LambertoKevlar
01-31-2013, 06:13 PM
I 20

al-Assas
01-31-2013, 06:30 PM
Thank you very much, that's very reassuring, juliovodoo.

Could you maybe make a more specific and more extensive FPS measurement in a more demanding part of Boston? (Min and avg FPS, different resolutions settings even, maybe)

That would be an information that I cannot find anywhere else on the internet. Those numbers would be very interesting for me and probably others as well.

Please? :o

Edit: But only if you feel like it! Even if you don't, that info you already shared is really special, never read any personal reports with a 2nd or 3rd gen i3 at such a low resolution and with such a powerful GPU. Thank you!

al-Assas
02-01-2013, 06:13 AM
Some numbers on different games and different CPUs, including the i3-3220:

http://www.overclockers.ru/lab/51577_2/Testirovanie_processorov_Intel_Core_i3-3240_i_Core_i3-3220_v_igrah.html

Anykeyer
02-01-2013, 06:58 AM
It's true that most applications only utilize 2 cores. If you go with the i3, you can easily overclock it to some 4-4.5 ghz and never have a problem with anything. My older gen i3 is sitting comfortably on 3.7 ghz and it's never let me down. Probably a perfect match to go along with the 7850 you can get with the savings. xD

You cant overclock sandy/ivy bridge CPU unless its model number ends with K

juliovodoo
02-01-2013, 05:00 PM
You are welcome AL-ASSAS, and all I can tell you is that people spend a lot of money on PC hardware, what is not bad at all of course, but a reasonable mesure in money to play games taking into account that developers donīt optimize games is a powerful reason to buy with care. i3 as I told is not as powerful as an i5 or even a i7, but is enough to play games at 1680x1050 or 1920x1080. Thatīs what I need, I donīt care about AA in games at these resolutions so you have to bear in mind your needs.

As far as FPS in Boston I can tell you that the game is fluid at all places so I donīt worry about FPS, I just play and thatīs what you have to do once the game becomes playable.

But to give you an idea, 60 FPS are nearly everywhere in the game except in bosto centre where FPS drops to 30, maybe some second to 26 or so but nothing annoying.
I can assure that thereīs a differecnce between i3 from Sndy Bridge to i3 from Ivy Bridge that is a new technology.
You really wonīt regret with this CPU in this game. Of course the rest of games, hitman absolution, far cry 3, you can play easily well but taking into account that frame drops in those and other games are related to optimization and not the CPU i3 3220 that really can handle them. What I mean is that if a game doesnīt run properly with this i3 3220 is not because of it, itīs because of the game itself.

To sum it up, great CPU for a low cost price and power consumption with a great performance.

al-Assas
02-01-2013, 11:41 PM
You know what would be awesome, Juliovodoo? Find that central Boston place, where your FPS is the worst, then set the anti-aliasing to normal, decrease the resolution to a lower value, but leave environment quality at high, leave shadows at very high, and check if your FPS improves. That would be very interesting.

Kchryss
02-02-2013, 09:14 AM
I am the owner of a i7, and before that I had an i5.
I have another computer and Core 2 Duo.
My guess is that the computer is important:
- CPU (type), its internal memory
- Motherboard (type)
- RAM size and type
- Video card with dedicated memory (type of processor and video memory size, as well as video memory type)
(- Sometimes reaction speed monitor)