PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO FIX FPS DROPPING FOR AMD RADEON. This is not a question, but an answer!

KronosJay
11-23-2012, 04:43 AM
Ok guys! After spending the last two days on this forum, seeking a way to fix the FPS issue, I might have found a a way to solve the issue until Ubisoft (I'm still really mad at you guys...) releases a patch or something to optimize. It worked for me! I don't promise a full FPS speed in Boston but this is a Major improvement. But don't get me wrong, it worked fine for me, don't blame me if it does not work for you. I'm playing on a regular laptop so if I got results, people with good machines will do just fine.

Steps:

1) Identify your graphic card (mine is AMD Radeon HD 6520G)
2) Download an update for your card http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/Catalyst-Hotfixes.aspx
(you will probably have to download the first link AMD Catalyst™ 12.11 Beta Driver (http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst1211betadriver.aspx))
3) Install the update...
4) Reboot your PC
5) Open your start menu and type ''ccc'' in order to open up the AMD Vision Engine Control Center
6) Go in your ''Preferences'' in the top tab and select ''Advanced View''
7) Click on the ''Performance'' tab
8) Disable AMD Radeon Dual Graphics (I think this step makes the major difference)
9) Click on the ''Gaming'' tab and select ''3D Application Setting'' (High-Performance Graphics) (WARNING: ASSASSIN'S CREED 3 HAS TO BE SET AS A HIGH PERFORMANCE
APPLICATION)
10) Turn down EVERY options that you can!
11) Close the AMD Vision Engine Control Center
12) Start AC3 and lower your Graphic setting (it doesn't do much so you can put whatever you want)

I also edited my Ini.file located in the Assassin's Creed 3 folder in your documents. Instead of putting [Graphics_DX11] i've put [Graphics_DX10] (I don't know if it really helps)

Now I can really enjoy this superb game! The FPS is not PERFECT but it's a major improvement! Don't blame me if it doesn't work though :)... i'm just trying to help here!

niczerus
11-23-2012, 04:50 AM
but this fix is only for graphic cards for notebooks ?

KronosJay
11-23-2012, 05:27 AM
A notebook? I'm using a Samsung Laptop Quad Core...this is no notebook lol

niczerus
11-23-2012, 05:30 AM
notebook = laptop is not the same thing ??? the most part of pc gamers is a desktop computers .

Kardall79
11-23-2012, 05:46 AM
Notebook now references those little 7.5" type of laptops.

Also, a lot more people are getting gaming laptops to play on, due to the fact you can take it to a buddy's place and game without hauling every single piece of gear along with you. Really helps in urban environments. You can pop it in your backpack and take a train without looking like a ******. :D

seek-
11-23-2012, 06:20 AM
hmm, thanks but i cannot find the second ''Performance'' tab.

KronosJay
11-23-2012, 06:36 AM
Notebook now references those little 7.5" type of laptops.

Also, a lot more people are getting gaming laptops to play on, due to the fact you can take it to a buddy's place and game without hauling every single piece of gear along with you. Really helps in urban environments. You can pop it in your backpack and take a train without looking like a ******. :D

Yup! This is a pretty good price/quality laptop. It's not mainly meant to run games but I have no problem running games (usualy...). The fun part is that I can plug it into my Tv using HDMI cable!

DejanDominic
11-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Dont work

Mr_Shade
11-23-2012, 11:07 AM
Guys,

If you are having issues, please remember to be contacting Ubisoft Support.

Just a reminder though, Laptop versions of graphics cards, may not always work as intended, since they are not supported, as stated in the published requirements - so Support may only be able to offer limited support.

http://ubisoft-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17417

However - it's still worth checking with them directly.

KronosJay
11-23-2012, 03:10 PM
Anyway....it works just fine for me now on my laptop! :D

MrGreenest
11-23-2012, 03:19 PM
maybe can work, but that things make the quality of the game go down, we need a fix or patch from ubisoft, to play how supposed to be.

KronosJay
11-23-2012, 03:32 PM
maybe can work, but that things make the quality of the game go down, we need a fix or patch from ubisoft, to play how supposed to be.

Yeah as I said, this fix is temporary...at least until Ubisoft releases a patch. But seriously I was surprise by how good the game still looks like with what I did to my settings.

Petrolea
12-02-2012, 08:28 PM
I didn't change the graphics setting of the game itself yet, but did update my videocard... Definately improvement, but I hope Ubi manages to patch this soon... Will lower the graphics setting when I play again tomorrow. Outside of Boston city everything works fine now, though :) so thanks :)

Razrback16
12-02-2012, 11:09 PM
It's not an issue with Ubisoft, just FYI guys. I read through the AMD Beta driver site, and so far none of their Beta drivers are noted to have any increase on performance for AC3. I have no doubt they're working on that bigtime, so you'll just have to try to be patient and hopefully they'll release a Beta driver asap for you that will improve performance. Until then, you may need to follow the OP's suggestions which are basically just showing you how to turn down the quality settings in your driver profile so as to reduce the load on your GPUs and hopefully result in a bit better performance at the expense of image quality.

BzkGB
12-02-2012, 11:42 PM
It's not an issue with Ubisoft, just FYI guys. I read through the AMD Beta driver site, and so far none of their Beta drivers are noted to have any increase on performance for AC3. I have no doubt they're working on that bigtime, so you'll just have to try to be patient and hopefully they'll release a Beta driver asap for you that will improve performance. Until then, you may need to follow the OP's suggestions which are basically just showing you how to turn down the quality settings in your driver profile so as to reduce the load on your GPUs and hopefully result in a bit better performance at the expense of image quality.

Actually, it is an issue with Ubisoft. There are many players using Nvidia cards that are experiencing low FPS, the problem is not restricted to AMD cards only. Granted, it seems to be affecting AMD users more frequently due to them having no relevant beta drivers so far, whilst Nvidia have released one for AC3.

spectatorx
12-02-2012, 11:42 PM
Turn everything down? Hm. i think better is to turn off the display, it will bring 99999999999% boost in fps.....
This kind of "fixes" make me to... i do not know laugh or cry.

abohamed
12-02-2012, 11:57 PM
Turn everything down? Hm. i think better is to turn off the display, it will bring 99999999999% boost in fps.....
This kind of "fixes" make me to... i do not know laugh or cry.
+1

Razrback16
12-03-2012, 12:17 AM
Actually, it is an issue with Ubisoft. There are many players using Nvidia cards that are experiencing low FPS, the problem is not restricted to AMD cards only. Granted, it seems to be affecting AMD users more frequently due to them having no relevant beta drivers so far, whilst Nvidia have released one for AC3.

What model cards (nvidia) are the ones using who are having issues?

spectatorx
12-03-2012, 12:21 AM
A lot of them. 555m, 550ti, 560, 560ti, 570, 580, 580 sli, 680, 670, 660, 650 and so on....

BzkGB
12-03-2012, 12:22 AM
What model cards (nvidia) are the ones using who are having issues?

Can't remember the models off the top of my head I'm afraid. I'm sure if you look back through this thread you'll find some, and I'm sure Spectatorx could attest to this.

Razrback16
12-03-2012, 12:26 AM
Really, 600 series cards? That surprises me. My single 680 runs through it smooth as could be. Wonder what the makeup is of the rest of their rigs.

spectatorx
12-03-2012, 12:43 AM
The problem exists at people with various hardware configurations. The game maxed out should run decent at all machines with 4core cpu and mid-end gpu but it is not, even at people with top-end configurations like fx-8150, i7-3930k, hd7970, geforce 680.

Razrback16
12-03-2012, 12:56 AM
You're only going to max out a DX11 title on absolutely top end equipment right now. Mid-range GPUs are not going to be able to handle everything maxed. The AC games of old that ran ancient DX9, sure. But not DX11. I only have a 4-year old Phenom II 955, but it's paired with a GTX 680 and I can nearly max it out (I have antialiasing dialed down a couple notches but everything else is max at 1920x1200), so that leaves me believing that the GPU is the most important piece as is usually the case in gaming. I know the AMD GPUs don't even have a driver released yet which explains the AMD card issues. I would love to hear from some folks in this thread if possible who have GTX 670 or 680s who are having trouble and what kind of trouble, and would love to hear the rest of their system specs as well.

I'd also recommend anyone having trouble to make sure they support a trouble ticket in to their respective gpu vendor along with Ubisoft. I remember when Arkham City was blue screening for me last year when I had 6870 Crossfire cards and I submitted tickets along with other folks to AMD, and the next driver release fixed that issue for us.

Edit: Also just to add, it's very likely that folks with SLI configurations will have to wait for an even newer driver that updates the SLI profiles in the drivers as multi-gpu tweaks usually come later.

spectatorx
12-03-2012, 01:21 AM
I think talking with you has as much sense as using ubisoft support to solve any issue.

I'm using mid-end cpu and mid-end gpu and most games are running flawlessly but the one of a very few exceptions is ac3. It has poor graphics but it is running much worse than battlefield 3 and crysis 2 which has much better graphics.

The issues... i mean issue, is exactly the same for most ac3 gamers: low performance in cities independent of hardware. Intel, amd, nvidia.... makes not big difference. Anyway, you should go to my thread and take a look at all... now i think it is 59 pages, something about this number of pages where people are describing everything, details of low fps issue, hardware they have, potential fixes which mostly are not working, etc.

Razrback16
12-03-2012, 01:23 AM
I'm sorry to hear how frustrated you are, and hope you find a fix, soon.

spectatorx
12-03-2012, 01:28 AM
Personally i'm not frustrated, i'm just waiting for fix with a lots of patience and in a meantime enjoying multiplayer ;-)

Pixel_Pile
12-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Do NOT underestimate "User Error"....

The amount of people I helped in the past who didn't know how to properly set up a PC.
People with "brand" PC's (Dell, HP, Alienware and other brands) have silly amounts of what they call "bloatware".
This is "free" software that came with the PC. Mostly automatically installed from a "factory OS disc".
They all take up memory and clockcycles.

Also, "the art" of BIOS tweaking is a skill unknown to many. A lot can be done, tweaking the BIOS of your PC.

I'm running an old AM2 AMD system (1090T x6 BE + PC6400 (800MHz DDR2) + HD4890).
The only time I had a noticable performance drop was when I first entered Boston. The rest of the game was silky smooth.

Godz_Mercenary
12-03-2012, 01:26 PM
You're only going to max out a DX11 title on absolutely top end equipment right now. Mid-range GPUs are not going to be able to handle everything maxed. The AC games of old that ran ancient DX9, sure. But not DX11.

Mid range cards can max out dx11 games of today. In fact they will be able to max out all the games in dx11 next year too. Mid range cards can max out Crysis 2 on dx11 and that game is showing graphics games will use for the next 2 years most likely.

And let's face it Assassins Creed 3 hasn't got nothing on Crysis 2 graphically so there is no reason this game can't be maxed with current cards and 4 whole cores with shed loads of RAM.

Godz_Mercenary
12-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Do NOT underestimate "User Error"....

The amount of people I helped in the past who didn't know how to properly set up a PC.
People with "brand" PC's (Dell, HP, Alienware and other brands) have silly amounts of what they call "bloatware".
This is "free" software that came with the PC. Mostly automatically installed from a "factory OS disc".
They all take up memory and clockcycles.

Also, "the art" of BIOS tweaking is a skill unknown to many. A lot can be done, tweaking the BIOS of your PC.

I'm running an old AM2 AMD system (1090T x6 BE + PC6400 (800MHz DDR2) + HD4890).
The only time I had a noticable performance drop was when I first entered Boston. The rest of the game was silky smooth.

I'm a geek when it comes to tweaking hardware, but I like many others get poor performance.

My BIOS is fully updated. Stuff in the BIOS is tweaked for high performance, my PC is clean of spyware/ adware/ viruses. I'm even using a modified version of Windows 7 which essentially has been stripped of anything not needed, like Windows Defender and shed loads of other stuff.

I have analysing tools so even when I'm just on the desktop I can see what my CPU is doing how much RAM is being used, what my internet is downloading or whatever.

I've even managed to overclock my Phenom 2 965 CPU from 3.2 to 4.0 fully stable. It really is this game that's the problem, not user error or anything, just the game.

My specs aren't bad:

Phenom 2 965 BE clocked to 4Ghz
4GB RAM
7850 with 2GB onboard

That should be enough to get 30 or above atleast but I cant even run it on low settings. I still get 26 max which goes down to 15 a lot.

AlexFili
12-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Still waiting for my ticket to be addressed... hope we get a solution

razsi1990
12-04-2012, 05:57 PM
I have an easy fix for you guys. Buy an intel cpu an Nvidia gpu and an SSD. Haven't had any game breaking problems with the game. The only thing it needs is to be multi core optimized.

CasualMancer
12-04-2012, 06:01 PM
I have an easy fix for you guys. Buy an intel cpu an Nvidia gpu and an SSD. Haven't had any game breaking problems with the game. The only thing it needs is to be multi core optimized.

I know you're kidding, but I wouldn't put it past Ubi support to reply with such an answer.. the previous answers I've received were of similar nature.

Oh well, at least AMD hasn't let us down with it's profile release of yesterday. OH wait.. Ironically my PC will be able to run Crysis 3 but not AC3. Huzzah!

Nose-Nuggets
12-04-2012, 06:06 PM
i have a 6990 for my i7-950 w/ 12gb of memory and performance was abysmal. 20fps in boston with everything on low.

i went out and grabbed a gtx 680 4gb and the game is now acceptable. i get 40fps pretty consistently with max everything.

that's been my experience anyway. the 6990 specs wise is superior to the 680, and i tried 3 different driver versions and a myriad of other tweeks to crossfire and other controls in the CCC with no real affect.

razsi1990
12-04-2012, 11:34 PM
i have a 6990 for my i7-950 w/ 12gb of memory and performance was abysmal. 20fps in boston with everything on low.

i went out and grabbed a gtx 680 4gb and the game is now acceptable. i get 40fps pretty consistently with max everything.

that's been my experience anyway. the 6990 specs wise is superior to the 680, and i tried 3 different driver versions and a myriad of other tweeks to crossfire and other controls in the CCC with no real affect.

This is always the case with AMD. The specs are awesome but the driver support is sh*t. Never buy AMD and you'll avoid your self the headaches.

abohamed
12-05-2012, 01:34 AM
Guys,

If you are having issues, please remember to be contacting Ubisoft Support.

Just a reminder though, Laptop versions of graphics cards, may not always work as intended, since they are not supported, as stated in the published requirements - so Support may only be able to offer limited support.

http://ubisoft-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17417

However - it's still worth checking with them directly.

hey Mr shade .. its been a while .. well .. in this system requirements link it said in MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS section this :
VIDEO CARD: 512 VRAM DirectX 10 - Shader Model 4.0 or higher
here : http://ubisoft-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17417
so please man can you tell us how we can switch our AC 3 game from DX11 to make it DX10 in clear steps ?! .. because i think our whole FPS drops problem can be fixed by answering this simple Q ?! so please help .. thanks