PDA

View Full Version : Should drop stuns be in the AC3 Multiplayer?

Chachi McSwaqq
11-22-2012, 07:46 AM
I'm being told by a lot of trustworthy and upper-tier players that drop stunning has been removed from the game with today's update. No, I have not played it to be sure, but these players all know how to drop stun properly. I also don't know if this was intentional or simply a byproduct of some other patch element. I'd appreciate if some developer or moderator with knowledge of this topic would come in to tell us whether this was intentional, and the reasons for it if it was. Now I'll give my reasons for it staying.

Drop stun - The process of naked stunning (no abilities) a pursuer who has jumped toward you from a rooftop greater than about one floor of height in-game. The higher the roof, the more successful the drop stun. Drop stuns work because jumps from above a certain height have a landing delay for the jumper. If the jump would cause them to roll assuming they continue holding the left stick, then there is a partial delay when they land before they are allowed to kill or stun -- during this time the target may stun them successfully.

Drop stuns are the most effective method of stunning a pursuer without abilities, far and away, because they operate on game mechanics and not the unawareness of the pursuer (corner stun). They are also the method through which smoke bomb's lack of drop delay is best illustrated -- a pursuer can not kill prior to being drop stunned, but they CAN drop a smoke bomb to dodge the drop stun, because smoke bomb comes out faster than kills and stuns.

A similar stun now exists called the hay bale stun, which takes advantage of the delay and removal of lock associated with the pursuer entering a hay bale. This stun is much more situational though and therefore less effective.

Though I do call myself "The Drop Stun Master," I've looked at it very objectively to determine what will happen when drop stuns are gone. Here are my personal reasons why the drop stun should not be removed from the game.

1. It makes sense. Jumping from the top of the Virginian Plantation house all the way down to ground level and not receiving even the ludicrously tiny delay that allows drop stuns is ridiculous. If you're going to let players jump from any height without a damage system or a movement speed reduction then why don't we just change the single player too so we can bounce off the ground into killing our Templar targets? Make it a full synch objective. "Bounce assassinate Silas Thatcher."

2. The roof-ground interplay is completely balanced with drop stuns. It's not that roofing shouldn't exist, I do it myself, it's that it shouldn't be better than ground play. Roofers have aerial zones and grounders have drop stuns. Understand that removing drop stuns, consciously or mistakenly, is going to raise the average elevation of every player and change the game in a large way. You'll start seeing people camp by hay bales when they have no abilities.

3. That "no abilities" part. You're strengthening offense in the currently balanced offense-defense scenario by making the defensive team rely on abilities more heavily to get their stuns. Smoke bomb is now again made an absolutely essential ability, even MORE players are using knives, you're guaranteeing two of the three defensive abilities. As a group that prides itself on variety and balanced abilities, this is not a wise change.

4. Removing drop stuns drastically reduces the score potential in all modes, especially Assassinate. This weakens poison and the non-knife ranged abilities because you need to bring more defensive abilities to stun your pursuers. No awesome stealthy incognito poisons in Wanted or Assassinate because once you encounter an aggressive pursuer you'll be out of abilities and have no defense but running wildly or trying to corner stun. When you earn a stun via drop stun on a pursuer that's being overaggressive, instead of living and continuing your streak, you will simply die honorably and wait to respawn. In Assassinate this also removes all of the points you get for killing the grounded target.

5. At this point, drop stunning has become a well-known game mechanic. It's been featured in widely viewed tutorial videos by Machinima directors and other noteworthy AC Youtubers. You will frustrate newer players who try to get a drop stun and don't know they no longer work. These players will think they're doing it wrong and they suck or that they're facing lag or some other in-game glitchy shenanigans. Worst case you may turn some newer players off the multiplayer.

Drop stunning may seem like a random, tiny, or unimportant game mechanic. But that's a deceptively simple view. It controls the balance of naked stunning which in turn controls the balance of offensive vs. defensive abilities.

If you make this change stick or last, know that you're making a very large decision for the multiplayer.

Vixenaire
11-22-2012, 07:59 AM
I totally agree. Defense is being made into something more and more reliant on abilities, and with smoke nerfed on top of everything the removal of drop stuns just doesn't make sense. Not a logical decision at all in terms of balance in the game.

I really hope this gets looked into and fixed. :<

G1ZMO_DRAG0N
11-22-2012, 08:09 AM
I havent gotten one today. so idk. Also, since we have so many restrictions on defensive abilities it would be smart to keep different ways of stunning that take more skill and experience to perform. It would be wise of Ubisoft to keep such a feature. This including rail stuns and haybale stuns.

Lowkey__
11-22-2012, 08:28 AM
I got a drop stun today evening (just about 3 hours ago). Not sure if the other guy forgot to spam the X.. He was lvl 41 though :/

ThaFazz
11-22-2012, 08:45 AM
ACR took a lot of creativity from Brotherhood out of the game, but drop stunning was one thing they added that actually took some creativeness. I'm pretty bummed they patched it.

Apexx27
11-22-2012, 08:52 AM
This is a good and well thought out post. Glad you made it.

Also, Ubisoft, please stop making this game so friendly to newer players. We of the professional community deserve a few maneuvers that we can preform due to the amount of time we put in to this game. Why do you punish us for being loyal fans? It is disgusting. Newer players are called "newer players" for a reason.

This game has potential and i hate to see it waste away.

Apexx27
11-22-2012, 08:53 AM
ive always said ACB was the most creative game that allowed us to have our own individual play styles. you could tell who was a veteran and who wasnt.

G1ZMO_DRAG0N
11-22-2012, 09:07 AM
This is a good and well thought out post. Glad you made it.

Also, Ubisoft, please stop making this game so friendly to newer players. We of the professional community deserve a few maneuvers that we can preform due to the amount of time we put in to this game. Why do you punish us for being loyal fans? It is disgusting. Newer players are called "newer players" for a reason.

This game has potential and i hate to see it waste away.

Yes. Ive been saying this since i saw all the little tips on AC3 previews. Things like showing new players how to screen and giving them points for "almost" gettting a kill/stun. Dont punish us who take time out to be good at this game only to have newer players or those who dont care to play as often as we do beat us because of mechanic benefits.

Imagine having everyone who goes to play basketball have a required super jump shoe and a height extension. "Everybody wins" thought process is for Mario Party and other games of the sort. In the long run its the hardcore fans who will continue to buy your games anyways.

Chachi McSwaqq
11-22-2012, 09:09 AM
Lmao somebody said they're an exploit. People are adorable. What's an exploit is jumping down from a massive rooftop and bouncing into a kill.

ThaFazz
11-22-2012, 09:14 AM
What's an exploit is jumping down from a massive rooftop and bouncing into a kill.
Agreed.

Rainin420
11-22-2012, 09:19 AM
Whether it was an exploit or not, like chachi says it makes perfect sense, and further discourages, sloppy, un stealthy play. Players who chase kill, and blindly jump aggressively off of rooftops should be punished for their lack of discretion. Also if you're falling from a huge height and someone gets behind you, your forward momentum would not allow you to kill someone. Drop stuns should at least remain possible from behind. Would require a bit more skill but would make the most sense. Stop giving new/overaggressive players more tools to play how this game wasn't designed to be played.

alexisnotonffir
11-22-2012, 09:20 AM
You could do that in AC:B though. I could understand being able to stun them as they fall (as in after they've been knifed), but being able to stun as they jump down doesn't really seem right to me. Partly because it encourages baiting which is something I truly hate, and mostly because I don't think naked stuns should be anywhere near as easy as drop stuns were.

On the other hand, now that the majority of reliable defensive abilities have been removed I'm not sure removing them is going to provide any real benefits to the game.

Chachi McSwaqq
11-22-2012, 09:36 AM
You could do that in AC:B though. I could understand being able to stun them as they fall (as in after they've been knifed), but being able to stun as they jump down doesn't really seem right to me. Partly because it encourages baiting which is something I truly hate, and mostly because I don't think naked stuns should be anywhere near as easy as drop stuns were.

On the other hand, now that the majority of reliable defensive abilities have been removed I'm not sure removing them is going to provide any real benefits to the game.

You literally hate baiting more than idiots that chase you around the map mashing X? Wow. If drop stuns are so easy and imbalanced then stupid people should learn to stop jumping from rooftops rabidly trying to kill you. You do raise another point though, now that drop stuns aren't there, knives are EVEN MORE OVERPOWERED. Furthermore the fact that you could not drop stun in ACB does not mean you shouldn't be able to drop stun. ACB had plenty of its own problems. Jumping down from the Pienza clock tower and bouncing into a kill on someone is hilariously stupid, FAR more of an exploit than drop stuns ever were, because it relies on the game having idiotic mechanics. So you'd literally rather remove drop stunning from the game because baiters do it than give more alternatives to crutching on smoke bomb. Well for the record baiters are STILL going to bait. Because they have knives and smoke.

Apexx27
11-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Also, I want to mention that it makes no sense to take out drop stuns when Ubisoft has made throwing knives impossible to contest against. Explain this logic to me.

Drakuaza
11-22-2012, 09:52 AM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/30235053.jpg

dondarko
11-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Very good post, that I can almost completely agree with. Drop Stuns should remain in game for the reasons OP already mentioned.

Now on the other side: what could Ubisoft have for a reason to tone down the stun-ability overall? Correct me if i`m wrong but in ACB naked stuns were only possible if you were positioned in a 45-60 degree angle behind your pursuer. Made sense too me to give the Killability this advantage, after all this game is called "Assassins Creed" not "Stunners creed". To overcome this some creative folks discovered "Stun"-Locking as a means to "farm" pursuers especially in Manhunt. With ACR introduction of contested kills, corner-stuns and Knives/OSB as a 100% solution to shut down your Pursuer effectively from almost any range "Assassins Creed" officially had been turned into "Stunners Creed", and especially "Assassination" became a "Stunner`s paradise". So while trying to Balance Defense against Offense Ubisoft threw out the baby with the bathwater. High Scores in any game mode nowadays totally depend on Stuns not Kills. I would guess 80-90% of anyones score in an Assa-game actually are a result of stuns (not kills) and a coordinated team in MH especially will get 60-70% of their score from stuns.

So while I certainly back your position from a logical point of view, I also understand why Ubi would try to weaken Stuns in general for the sake of the whole community. But it seems they are somehow cowardly to change the game in a meaningful way so the solution to get rid of the drop-stuns makes sense to me (even if I don`t like it): it`s only a drop in the stunmess-ocean and tackles the problem from a wrong angle.

G1ZMO_DRAG0N
11-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Very good post, that I can almost completely agree with. Drop Stuns should remain in game for the reasons OP already mentioned.

Now on the other side: what could Ubisoft have for a reason to tone down the stun-ability overall? Correct me if i`m wrong but in ACB naked stuns were only possible if you were positioned in a 45-60 degree angle behind your pursuer. Made sense too me to give the Killability this advantage, after all this game is called "Assassins Creed" not "Stunners creed". To overcome this some creative folks discovered "Stun"-Locking as a means to "farm" pursuers especially in Manhunt. With ACR introduction of contested kills, corner-stuns and Knives/OSB as a 100% solution to shut down your Pursuer effectively from almost any range "Assassins Creed" officially had been turned into "Stunners Creed", and especially "Assassination" became a "Stunner`s paradise". So while trying to Balance Defense against Offense Ubisoft threw out the baby with the bathwater. High Scores in any game mode nowadays totally depend on Stuns not Kills. I would guess 80-90% of anyones score in an Assa-game actually are a result of stuns (not kills) and a coordinated team in MH especially will get 60-70% of their score from stuns.

So while I certainly back your position from a logical point of view, I also understand why Ubi would try to weaken Stuns in general for the sake of the whole community. But it seems they are somehow cowardly to change the game in a meaningful way so the solution to get rid of the drop-stuns makes sense to me (even if I don`t like it): it`s only a drop in the stunmess-ocean and tackles the problem from a wrong angle.

Agreed but they really shouldnt try to cater to any one who picks up a controller. If we have the skill to do such things they shouldnt take it away especially if its so easy not to get caught in it. Skill is getting thrown out the window now-a-days.

So yeah....tackled from the wrong angle i guess.

Apexx27
11-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Seriously, game designers need to realize that they have communities of people who are die hard fans and that work hard, putting countless hours into their game, to get good at it because they are in love with the game. Let me say that again, COMMUNITIES. This game, and the things that made it fun, are so important to us. Ubisoft needs to say no to these newer players and maybe start rewarding the veteran players who are what make this game popular. The bigger youtube channels practically advertise the game for free! It is ridiculous that they think fixing a few things is going to make us forget the big picture. The goal for all multiplayer games should be MLG. Why the hell not? Developers can not just make a game, especially three titles of that game, and expect there to not be a serious community with dreams of becoming professional.

All i ask is, what are new players going to do for you Ubi? They already have your game. you already have their money. Its us, the serious, loyal players who will stick around and KEEP ON BUYING THEM. We will keep putting matches on youtube and advertising your game for you. So are you going to listen to us? Not just on the minor details, but on the big picture? I sure as hell hope so.

Jaanii95
11-22-2012, 12:04 PM
Yes dropstuns should definitely be in the game. People who jump from a high roof are not playing "stealthy" and should be punished.

alexisnotonffir
11-22-2012, 12:10 PM
You literally hate baiting more than idiots that chase you around the map mashing X? Wow.
Yes. Baiting ruins the flow of the match for me, and I'd much rather be rushed constantly than have constant stand-offs with people obviously baiting.

As far as not wanting drop stuns in goes, I don't want them in because stunning your pursuer isn't supposed to be easy. I'm pretty sure the previous descriptions of stunning have stated that you have to catch your pursuer by surprise (or something similar) to do it, and when you're walking in a circle below the roof I'm stood on there's no mistaking who you are. If I know who you are and have you locked and mashing square, the most you should be able to do is contest me. There should never be a direct confrontation without abilities where the target comes out on top.

But then I haven't played AC3, so I don't know how bad the situation is with the lack of standard defensive abilities. I also didn't change my playstyle from AC:B to AC:R, so while I grabbed drop stuns when I've remembered I can do that I've never really relied on them for points.

G1ZMO_DRAG0N
11-22-2012, 12:15 PM
Yes. Baiting ruins the flow of the match for me, and I'd much rather be rushed constantly than have constant stand-offs with people obviously baiting.

As far as not wanting drop stuns in goes, I don't want them in because stunning your pursuer isn't supposed to be easy. I'm pretty sure the previous descriptions of stunning have stated that you have to catch your pursuer by surprise (or something similar) to do it, and when you're walking in a circle below the roof I'm stood on there's no mistaking who you are. If I know who you are and have you locked and mashing square, the most you should be able to do is contest me. There should never be a direct confrontation without abilities where the target comes out on top.

But then I haven't played AC3, so I don't know how bad the situation is with the lack of standard defensive abilities. I also didn't change my playstyle from AC:B to AC:R, so while I grabbed drop stuns when I've remembered I can do that I've never really relied on them for points.

then they shouldnt have decreased roofing range to a ridiculous, little, not worth a crap, size. increase range = less drop stunning. ill just kill you from here before i even need to jump that far

edit: b**ch get back so i can keel you XD

Anandasama
11-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Ubisoft shouldn't change stuff without writing the reasoning behind the changes.

please Ubisoft don't break ac3 even more.

Emvidasch
11-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Definitely, drop stuns should stay. I get the complaints from people who've never played. They jump (rabid as they are, hey, you gotta start somewhere), drop, mash X or square and nothing happens. Pow. Stun... Result? Complaints; not out of "it's an exploit" but out of "I have no idea what happened so it must be a bug/glitch".

They should really update the tutorials with stuff like this. I admit the introduction sessions have been improving slightly with every game, but never covered mechanics such as drop stunning or even stun locking. Ubisoft knows this happens widely in the community, but doesn't educate anyone who hasn't been playing from the start. Yet that doesn't mean they should just remove everything that newer players don't understand right from the start.

Drop Stunning is something that isn't 100% reliable and is nothing but a last resort when you have no abilities. Furthermore, to anyone informed about the mechanic, it's EXTREMELY obvious when someone is trying to lure you into a drop stun.
As for newer players, most of them getting drop stunned are usually done so while already in a chase. In other words, they've been so obvious and unstealthy that the target would have stunned him anyway with an ability. But he has no abilities so he should die? Nope, he can run and get the escape. But as we all know, most modes increase the difficulty for whoever is in 1st place, resulting in multiple pursuers. New players tend to be extremely persistent when it comes to chases, while more experienced players will let go of a chased target more quickly and focus on something else. Why I'm bringing this up? Persistent chasers will easily follow you around the entire map for a good amount of time. That time is literately traded for 150 to 200 points. Not to mention the chance of you running into another pursuer while escaping, which means YOU get punished for the pursuer's mistake. You lose lots of time, barely get any points and you are a sitting duck for other pursuers who are decent at flanking.

Drop stuns reward the person for efficiently dealing with a chasing pursuer.

And the sudden removal makes no sense either. A long time before AC3 was released, drop stuns were already fairly well-known amongst the community. If it was really considered an exploit it should have been removed before AC3 was released.

tl;dr version:
drop stuns stay due to argumentation
update tutorial to educate players about it (and add stun locking while you're at it)
focus on actual problems
poll clearly says they should stay
ponies are awesome

G1ZMO_DRAG0N
11-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Ubisoft shouldn't change stuff without writing the reasoning behind the changes.

please Ubisoft don't break ac3 even more.

Ive been saying that for awhile....they should explain and elaborate on alot of the things they do before they say "HEY...WE'RE CHANGING THIS AND THAT OKAY" "WHAT? YOU SAY THERES NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT?" ....."YUP"

dondarko
11-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Seriously, game designers need to realize that they have communities of people who are die hard fans and that work hard, putting countless hours into their game, to get good at it because they are in love with the game. Let me say that again, COMMUNITIES. This game, and the things that made it fun, are so important to us. Ubisoft needs to say no to these newer players and maybe start rewarding the veteran players who are what make this game popular. The bigger youtube channels practically advertise the game for free! It is ridiculous that they think fixing a few things is going to make us forget the big picture. The goal for all multiplayer games should be MLG. Why the hell not? Developers can not just make a game, especially three titles of that game, and expect there to not be a serious community with dreams of becoming professional.

All i ask is, what are new players going to do for you Ubi? They already have your game. you already have their money. Its us, the serious, loyal players who will stick around and KEEP ON BUYING THEM. We will keep putting matches on youtube and advertising your game for you. So are you going to listen to us? Not just on the minor details, but on the big picture? I sure as hell hope so.

No.

"Ubisoft needs to say no to these newer players and maybe start rewarding the veteran players who are what make this game popular."
AC is a Blockbuster-Mainstream-project, the die-hard fans you are refering to are maybe 0.1% of all the players that will ever play it (Ubisoft sold 4 Million copies to date, looking at the numbers on this forum and the veteran-youtube channels view I guess 1000-4000 players are "dreaming" to go pro with this game.
From a business point of view, and from a game designers view it absolutely makes no sense to tailor your product to a minority unless you`re selling a Luxury-product (Ferrari, Rolls-Royce).
There are some game-companys that are trying to target a special group (old-school-gamers for example) and they are mostly to be found on kickstarter, because AAA-companies like Ubisoft are not interested in funding such projects. They want to play in the major League (of Cashing in) and as soon as they are tailoring their products to the needs of Fanboys/Elites they will loose that market.

"The goal for all multiplayer games should be MLG"
Every game that is on MLG, is there only because it was commercially tailored to the Masses (which are effectively the audience that only makes e-sports possible). ̴m not saying AC couldn`t take the step in becoming MLG in the future, but as soon as that happens, the professional part will be separated from the amateur part. Im sure the TopTen Counerstrike Teams will be busy competing in tournaments and not much concerend about the "Counterstrike Ladder", or demanding that frag grenades should or shouldn`t have a decreased impact radius.

"All i ask is, what are new players going to do for you Ubi? They already have your game. you already have their money. Its us, the serious, loyal players who will stick around and KEEP ON BUYING THEM."
Not sure, if serious, but if, this is one of the opportunistic ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunism))statements I ever read on a forum.

TH3 F4T C0BRA
11-22-2012, 03:14 PM
Yet another example of them changing things that no one was clamoring to change.

Can someone please verify that you could do this in brotherhood if you caught the jumper in the air.
That's what I remember.

G1ZMO_DRAG0N
11-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Dude your a f*king downer. Why cant we hope to have AC in MLG? Why cant hope to strive for a game that awards hardwork, dedication, skill and experience? Why does everything have to be about money? Are you okay with that? Regardless of what you say it doesnt stop us from hoping . I like to believe that a company can be more than a money grubbing bunch of business men who are out for only cash. Passion and community involvement are what make games legendary and can prove to be a much bigger cash cow than any Mainstream project. Because like most of those...they f*cking die out.

OuTRigHT_PaiNFuL
11-22-2012, 03:37 PM
If they have been/are being removed, that's just bull...

Emvidasch
11-22-2012, 03:44 PM
Yet another example of them changing things that no one was clamoring to change.

Can someone please verify that you could do this in brotherhood if you caught the jumper in the air.
That's what I remember.
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/30625711.jpg

Let us hope other stuff will be spared from the same tragedy...

lawliet250
11-22-2012, 05:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_328007&feature=iv&src_vid=X-6V0Wg0aOI&v=T9m6-FnbU2Q

Lowkey__
11-22-2012, 05:41 PM
I was not much into baiting anyways. I never "lured" someone into a drop stun. I can see only two categories of people getting affected from this - (1) overly defensive players (2) Baiting to get 15k+ in Assassinate..

I personally don't care about those stuffs :P So meh... But well, drop stuns were sure nice.. I liked to taunt after drop stunning someone :3

SeeknDestroy1318
11-22-2012, 05:48 PM
I think they should stay, but i think a good solution that would balance aggro and stealth for both parties is that drop stunning be possible if you as the target are not locked by pursuer. This works to satisfy two things, first it would allow drop stuns against rabbits who run aggro and don't even try to be stealthy. second it would dramatically cut down on baiting because if you know being locked will prevent you from drop stunning then you will likely try to blend. It would also make for a new and interesting way to incorporate firecracker/disruption(anything that breaks lock) into the game.

Anandasama
11-22-2012, 05:49 PM
drop stuns were good when you had rabid pursuers chase killing you. you don't necessarily need to bait to use drop stuns.
there are alternatives to deal withr them but it added to the variety.

luckyto
11-22-2012, 06:02 PM
Lmao somebody said they're an exploit. People are adorable. What's an exploit is jumping down from a massive rooftop and bouncing into a kill.

^This.

A person should be vulnerable mid-air. End story. If the idiot is just going to jump full force at me, he deserves to get stunned; not cheap chase kill points. Drop stunning teaches new players not to rush their kills and show a little more caution in their approach.

najzere
11-22-2012, 06:24 PM
I thought drop stuns had been removed since launch—I haven't gotten one to work at all in AC3 and used to do it plenty in ACR. Uh, anyway yeah I'm for drop stuns being in the game.

Murd3r Claws
11-22-2012, 06:28 PM
ahh poor chachi...this sucks...oh well

sirturmund
11-22-2012, 06:53 PM
No reason why drop stuns should have been removed. It rewards a smart player against an aggressive player. It is not my fault you decided to jump from such a high place straight to me. Performing a drop stun, and avoiding one, were two of the few things this game has that actually required you to be experienced and to have played the game for some time.

I think this has the most effect on Simple Deathmatch. It was the most reliable way to get stuns in that game mode. Say goodbye to high scoring simple Deathmatch games. I'm sure glad I got my 10.3K in Deathmatch last night just before this patch came in.

n00bfi_97
11-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Removing drop stuns drastically reduces the score potential in all modes, especially Assassinate.

You had me until there.

Vixenaire
11-22-2012, 07:02 PM
I love that with all of the issues that already exist in the AC3MP, Ubisoft has added another thing that needs to be changed with something that was by definition supposed to fix things. Agonizing irony.

I hope they bring them back with the next "patch".

* Cause yeno it makes a lot of sense to encourage things like running around the mucking fap, I mean, that's what assassins do, right? Run rabidly around in high profile without punishment. Suck fakes.

This patch is like someone with a black eye and broken arm walking up to a nurse and having her hand him bandages and a pencil, and then punching him in the nose. ****ing redundant.

Jaanii95
11-22-2012, 07:33 PM
Dropstuns rewards smart play instead of aggresive chase killing. Sure it's easier getting 20 k if dropstuns were in the game but who seriously cares about score. We all play to win and have fun.

SeeknDestroy1318
11-22-2012, 08:31 PM
Fine if they want to remove dropstuns, then make gun and poison dart defensive abilities that i can use to shoot these rabbits in the face so i can teach em a lesson

Yutake782
11-22-2012, 09:24 PM
I liked the fact that you could drop stun reckless noobs in noob lobbies, but I LOVED acb's drop kill and stun system. Feel free to hate on me.

SeeknDestroy1318
11-22-2012, 09:28 PM
I liked the fact that you could drop stun reckless noobs in noob lobbies, but I LOVED acb's drop kill and stun system. Feel free to hate on me.

What's to hate im not sure what even wrong with it. one of my favorite things to do was climbing up to my pursuer using mute just as i reached the top and smacking them when they were frozen. Please oh please bring back mute just so i can do this.

CerealAssassin
11-22-2012, 11:32 PM
sorry if its already been said i havent read every page, i just dont understand why they patched this... did anyone complain about drop stuns? i just dont get it..
Why do they mess with things and patch things that didnt need to be and yet other actual important problems are ignored? i just dont get it

trikky d
11-23-2012, 12:29 AM
This has been patched because it was never intended to be in the game.

The "Drop Stun" is something that the community has invented from an exploit in the game's mechanics. Just because players have fallen in love with it, doesn't mean that it made the game better. Perhaps if ACR's post launch support was better, drop stuns might not have lasted throughout the entire lifespan of ACR.

In the overall mechanics of AC MP, a drop stun does not make any sense. If i am in kill range, i should be able to kill when hit the button. Regardless of whether i had just jumped down from a certain height.

I am all for Ubisoft smoothing out the exploits, if it makes the game more accessible, and more enjoyable to newer players. People seem to be more concerned with preserving their own playstyles than about what is best for the game and the wider community experience. Why shouldn't Ubisoft cater to newer players a bit? Give me one good reason. It's not like they're exclusively making changes to cater to noobs. They're making changes that the more experience community are demanding as well. There has to be balance. It can't all be about the veteran community, just as it can't all be about the noobs.

SeeknDestroy1318
11-23-2012, 01:59 AM

The "Drop Stun" is something that the community has invented from an exploit in the game's mechanics. Just because players have fallen in love with it, doesn't mean that it made the game better. Perhaps if ACR's post launch support was better, drop stuns might not have lasted throughout the entire lifespan of ACR.

In the overall mechanics of AC MP, a drop stun does not make any sense. If i am in kill range, i should be able to kill when hit the button. Regardless of whether i had just jumped down from a certain height.

I am all for Ubisoft smoothing out the exploits, if it makes the game more accessible, and more enjoyable to newer players. People seem to be more concerned with preserving their own playstyles than about what is best for the game and the wider community experience. Why shouldn't Ubisoft cater to newer players a bit? Give me one good reason. It's not like they're exclusively making changes to cater to noobs. They're making changes that the more experience community are demanding as well. There has to be balance. It can't all be about the veteran community, just as it can't all be about the noobs.

You make a good point, but in this specific case this "exploit" allowed for grounded players to maintain a slight advantage over roofers who now with this decreased aerial kill range still go to the roof and rabbit like crazy to get the most unstealthy of kills. It is yet another way in which the game becomes a blitzkrieg to get quantity over quality and ultimately ruins what is supposed to be a stealthy MP experience.

What separates AC MP's from other games is that the core gameplay was designed to reward stealth and quality over quantity, in a sense it does, but with all these changes running around crazy can be an equally good strategy and can still win the day. it rewards thoughtlessness and recklessness as much as careful planning, that is what irks me because i wanted to play in a slugfest i'd go play BLOPS or KZ, or UC, or well just about anything else. It's too bad hitman is only asynchronous MP because they maintained they're core ideal from SP to MP the game is all about thought and planning(the very essence of a stealth/action game of this genre) it is slower paced but it makes those accomplishments so rewarding.

I will leave with this one thing: Do we really need another game that simply rewards people for showing up, is this the final decay to our society. I play video games virtually all my life and for me gaming was about the mental challenge as much as it is about entertainment, but like everything else that goes mainstream it loses it's luster, I mean i've already lost SyFy, Fringe, and just about anything intellectual in tv, movies, (hell even books), can't i just have my one video game.

DannyStrong
11-23-2012, 03:00 AM
i'm not sure how i feel about the change in dropstuns.. I see why they ought to have been taken out.. and i see why they probably should have been kept (i used to rely on dropstuns a lot myself)

Whatever ubisoft ultimately does though. i Just hope they do it based on internal testing and game statistics.. rather than the rantings of this forum. Ranters in this forum killed acr.

SSJ_ORF
11-23-2012, 04:13 AM
Drop stuns are mixed with me. Most of the time they don't work, but I assume that just depends on how high the player jumps from. I don't care if they stay or not but it is a nice middle finger to the roof runners. I'm leaning towards keeping it in the game, but I'm unsure completely.

MRsmith1994
11-23-2012, 04:51 AM
uhh i got one just an hour ago ._.

sirturmund
11-23-2012, 06:31 AM
uhh i got one just an hour ago ._.

You can get them still if the player jumping is not mashing square or x. My first match after the patch I got one, but then I faced an experienced player and all he did was camp the roofs, jump straight to me, and contest chase kill me. No matter how high he jumped from (top of buildings in Boston maps), the drop stun would not work.

Chachi McSwaqq
11-23-2012, 08:51 AM

Stunlocking was an exploit and they managed to leave it in for the entire game of ACB. No a drop stun does not make sense in the game mechanics, also the game's mechanics don't make sense in the first place. You can jump literally 100 feet down from some stupid clocktower and proceed to continue your running motion and laugh in the face of physics, OR jump backwards to kill your target in a bouncing motion, negating ALL forward momentum. So complaining about how it fits within a game's mechanics is silly if those game's mechanics are so laughably stupid.

Drop stunning ABSOLUTELY made the game better, it gave you a reliable way to stun somebody without being so pathetically reliant on some little smoke bomb or mute or whatever. Brings variety and teaches stupid new players that you don't just jump like an idiot across the map, but Ubisoft feels the need to encourage chase kills with everything they do, then they have intro sessions to talk about how chase kills are foolish. Yet they buff knives, remove drop stuns, increase smoke's cooldown, EVERYTHING they ever patch buffs chasekilling.

Nobody says they shouldn't cater to the noobs a bit, but it goes ridiculously beyond a bit. It is not a multiplayer game when some random kid with no experience walks into a lobby and beats somebody who's been playing the game for three years. You want to throw experience out the window. Because once you start gaining experience and NOT playing like a complete idiot Ubisoft punishes you by removing all of the mechanics you have learned to use and strengthening the basic noob stupidity. No, they decide to patch basic issues that experienced players complain about, generally fail to patch those in the first place, and then throw in a ton of completely pointless changes that nobody asked for, ALL of which remove the skill from the game. Locking in kills. Drop stunning. But when some actual problem like ACB stunlocking or ACR smoke happens, it stays.

Ubisoft is not "improving" the wider community experience. The noobs have no idea whatsoever what they're doing. But instead of learning, like EVERYONE ELSE DID, they apparently simply need to have all of their tactics buffed so they can continue to make the game boring and irritating for the players that DID learn. The noobs were not on these forums posting polls to remove drop stunning.

Saying "It can't all be about the veteran community" is great but that's not even CLOSE to the current situation.

Lowkey__
11-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Drop stunning ABSOLUTELY made the game better, it gave you a reliable way to stun somebody without being so pathetically reliant on some little smoke bomb or mute or whatever. Brings variety and teaches stupid new players that you don't just jump like an idiot across the map, but Ubisoft feels the need to encourage chase kills with everything they do, then they have intro sessions to talk about how chase kills are foolish. Yet they buff knives, remove drop stuns, increase smoke's cooldown, EVERYTHING they ever patch buffs chasekilling.

"Reliable" method? Sure. But do everyone jump off a roof to kill ya? NO. If you are the type to lure someone to jump off to get a drop stun, sure you would be hurt by this change. But well, this game is more about killing than stunning. Stunning someone should not be easy. Period. Not without an ability.. If you use an ability to "kill" someone, you MUST have a hard time surviving. Ubisoft did just that.

Taking out drop stuns is NOT catering to noobs. Its more like making it an even play ground. Noobs do all kinds of ****.. Knife-chase kills, gunning, shield-chase kills. The game is NOT supposed to be a smooth experience. There are gonna be BS situations.. Bad players. Good players adapt. If drop stuns are gonna cost you games, then you are doing it wrong! Sure, it might not let you get 15ks easily anymore..

No, they decide to patch basic issues that experienced players complain about, generally fail to patch those in the first place, and then throw in a ton of completely pointless changes that nobody asked for, ALL of which remove the skill from the game. Locking in kills. Drop stunning. But when some actual problem like ACB stunlocking or ACR smoke happens, it stays.

Its not wise to generalize the term "experienced players". Its funny! I have seen difference of opinions at EVERY level of player base. I agree locking in kill animation was good. But how does that belong to an "experienced player's" arsenal? Even a noob player can do that. And why are you complaining about ACB stunlocking? Drop stuns still exist in ACR don't they? And then, no stun locking in AC3 and no drop stuns either...

luckyto
11-23-2012, 05:23 PM
To me, I'm looking at how "drop stuns" affect the pace, tempo and styles of play. Drop stunning discourages players from reckless flagrant behavior, and encourages players approach their target in a more stealthy or intelligent manner. One only needs to be drop stunned once to learn that they should not go running and jumping at other players like Rambo. By allowing players to behave recklessly like mad rhinos charging at a target, Ubisoft is encouraging a horrible playstyle that is frustrating to pro's and average players alike.

Really, I never bait them. But if some idiot is standing on a roof in Deathmatch and launches himself like a rocket at me, he deserves to get stunned. Ubisoft should not encourage this type of behavior or playstyle.

Well it's a 4:1 margin for drop stuns. That's like 80% of the player of the base.

G1ZMO_DRAG0N
11-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Okay after experiencing the game wihtout them im completely and totally okay wihtout drop stunning. i just ask that gun be nerfed. that is all

WiNGSPANTT
11-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Okay after experiencing the game wihtout them im completely and totally okay wihtout drop stunning. i just ask that gun be nerfed. that is all

The gun is one of the only things that prevents flagrant, notorious behavior.

OuTRigHT_PaiNFuL
11-23-2012, 07:42 PM

The lock-on is far too quick and I can't keep count on both hands how many times I've been shot through chasebreakers and walls.

Yutake782
11-23-2012, 08:01 PM

I wonder how many people actually use it for that reason. I'm sure stalking a target for an incognito IN DEATHMATCH isn't exactly notorious.

E_Razor
11-23-2012, 09:07 PM
damm i have been saying this since Brotherhood. if you can stun someone by slapping them i am sure you should be able to stun someone by jumping on them from a height. so many times i have been in the postition where i wanted ot do that and couldn't.
also why can't you stun someone while climbing? they can knock you off a wall for a kill but you can't knock them off for a stun.

Lowkey__
11-23-2012, 09:57 PM

LOL. I will just assume you are joking and laugh it off..

WHU Stay Fresh
11-23-2012, 10:35 PM
I'm all for drop stuns.
It helps me defend my self from targets that wish to chase me around the map for a good minute wasting both his and my time.
Drop stuns entertain me especially when a competitive player falls for it :D get a good kick out of it.
As Chachi said of all the things they could patch why this & why do they not make a topic on what they patch and why, of course there's the obvious because it wasn't meant to be in the game but that is not a good enough reason for removing it.

Newbies get drop stunned 100x and still don't learn from it clearly those few noobs have no brain and fall for tricks over and over again.

I'm just for drop stunning because it is entertainment for me.

OuTRigHT_PaiNFuL
11-23-2012, 10:44 PM
I'm for drop stunning because it's completely fair.

Serrachio
11-24-2012, 12:46 AM
I don't hate drop stunning, what I hate more is locks forcing you to jump at a player and be drop stunned.

It's only fair that the player I'm jumping at should take defensive maneuvers, and commendations for them for doing so with no abilities, but I don't want the game to FORCE me to jump at a player all because I've identified them.

Grygier
11-24-2012, 12:52 AM
... ok so i've been doing drop-stuns since Brotherhood didn't know that.

it was an awesome trick against certain players that try to leap at you for a fruitless kill...

G1ZMO_DRAG0N
11-24-2012, 01:33 AM
I wonder how many people actually use it for that reason. I'm sure stalking a target for an incognito IN DEATHMATCH isn't exactly notorious.

this. no one uses gun the right way...maybe wingspatt and abxantos but its still far too op. needs to have the mechanics changed since i think the bonus attachementns arent something they can mess with willy nilly

RoseLaddie
11-24-2012, 04:37 AM
I don't hate drop stunning, what I hate more is locks forcing you to jump at a player and be drop stunned.

It's only fair that the player I'm jumping at should take defensive maneuvers, and commendations for them for doing so with no abilities, but I don't want the game to FORCE me to jump at a player all because I've identified them.

THIS. This is why I'm glad drop stunning is gone.

Besides, if someone jumps at you shouting "Leeroy Jenkins!" you can just drop a dang smoke bomb. That is, if it doesn't hurt your pride.

luckyto
11-24-2012, 05:06 AM
Why should I have to spend a 100-second ability, assuming I even have smoke, to deal with someone acting like Leeroy Jenkins? That's just ridiculous. The game simply shouldn't allow them to act like complete tools and be rewarded for it. It was fine the way it was before.

Lowkey__
11-24-2012, 09:09 AM
Why should I have to spend a 100-second ability, assuming I even have smoke, to deal with someone acting like Leeroy Jenkins? That's just ridiculous. The game simply shouldn't allow them to act like complete tools and be rewarded for it. It was fine the way it was before.

Important question is why do you think spending 100 seconds is a bad thing? Its just a metric. Its our job to adjust to it.. Not telling its lame or ridiculous..

CasualCreed
11-24-2012, 10:22 AM

+1

Chachi McSwaqq
11-24-2012, 10:41 AM
"Reliable" method? Sure. But do everyone jump off a roof to kill ya? NO. If you are the type to lure someone to jump off to get a drop stun, sure you would be hurt by this change. But well, this game is more about killing than stunning. Stunning someone should not be easy. Period. Not without an ability.. If you use an ability to "kill" someone, you MUST have a hard time surviving. Ubisoft did just that.

Taking out drop stuns is NOT catering to noobs. Its more like making it an even play ground. Noobs do all kinds of ****.. Knife-chase kills, gunning, shield-chase kills. The game is NOT supposed to be a smooth experience. There are gonna be BS situations.. Bad players. Good players adapt. If drop stuns are gonna cost you games, then you are doing it wrong! Sure, it might not let you get 15ks easily anymore..

Its not wise to generalize the term "experienced players". Its funny! I have seen difference of opinions at EVERY level of player base. I agree locking in kill animation was good. But how does that belong to an "experienced player's" arsenal? Even a noob player can do that. And why are you complaining about ACB stunlocking? Drop stuns still exist in ACR don't they? And then, no stun locking in AC3 and no drop stuns either...

"The type to lure someone," really Zorb? It makes you a lousy player to lure someone to a drop stun when you have no abilities? No, this is because it's coming from a Deathmatch / Wanted player. In those modes there either are no chases or it's a valid option to just run across the map and escape. In Assassinate or Manhunt you are wasting a ridiculous amount of time and points to do that. Drop stunning is not "easy" and it is not unfair, ALL YOU HAVE TO DO TO AVOID IT IS NOT JUMP LIKE A MORON. THAT'S IT. No, if your opponent wants to play like a little kid and repeatedly do things that will get him stunned, stuns SHOULD be easy. Killing is not the entire focus of the game either, KILLING should not be easy either. You're not playing against an idiot, you don't get to kill him like he's an idiot. If he did everything he had to to get into position for a drop stun and then you jumped right into that drop stun it is not unfair when you are stunned. That's your fault. You shouldn't have jumped. You need to LEARN not to do it like everybody else.

Taking out drop stuns IS catering to noobs. Noobs are the stupid kids chasing you from rooftop to rooftop and then jumping 300 feet down into your drop stun. IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE AN "EVEN PLAYING FIELD." KIDS PLAYING THAT STUPIDLY SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY CHANCE AGAINST EXPERIENCED PLAYERS, THAT IS THE CONCEPT OF EXPERIENCE. WE have put the time into the game to learn not to be drop stunned. THEY have not. That does NOT mean drop stunning should be taken out to make it "balanced."

Really? A noob could lock in kill animation? Right. But a noob could not drop stun? You're suggesting that something newer players have not learned to do should be taken out of the game to bring the experienced players down to their level. That is a horrid mentality. I complained about ACB stunlocking and ACR smoke because they were problems. Uncounterable exploits. Drop stunning is not a problem, and hilariously easy to counter. Ubisoft just felt the need to take it out and make the little idiots feel better about their wild chasekills.

ultra riku
11-24-2012, 12:21 PM
"The type to lure someone," really Zorb? It makes you a lousy player to lure someone to a drop stun when you have no abilities? No, this is because it's coming from a Deathmatch / Wanted player. In those modes there either are no chases or it's a valid option to just run across the map and escape. In Assassinate or Manhunt you are wasting a ridiculous amount of time and points to do that. Drop stunning is not "easy" and it is not unfair, ALL YOU HAVE TO DO TO AVOID IT IS NOT JUMP LIKE A MORON. THAT'S IT. No, if your opponent wants to play like a little kid and repeatedly do things that will get him stunned, stuns SHOULD be easy. Killing is not the entire focus of the game either, KILLING should not be easy either. You're not playing against an idiot, you don't get to kill him like he's an idiot. If he did everything he had to to get into position for a drop stun and then you jumped right into that drop stun it is not unfair when you are stunned. That's your fault. You shouldn't have jumped. You need to LEARN not to do it like everybody else.

Taking out drop stuns IS catering to noobs. Noobs are the stupid kids chasing you from rooftop to rooftop and then jumping 300 feet down into your drop stun. IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE AN "EVEN PLAYING FIELD." KIDS PLAYING THAT STUPIDLY SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY CHANCE AGAINST EXPERIENCED PLAYERS, THAT IS THE CONCEPT OF EXPERIENCE. WE have put the time into the game to learn not to be drop stunned. THEY have not. That does NOT mean drop stunning should be taken out to make it "balanced."

Really? A noob could lock in kill animation? Right. But a noob could not drop stun? You're suggesting that something newer players have not learned to do should be taken out of the game to bring the experienced players down to their level. That is a horrid mentality. I complained about ACB stunlocking and ACR smoke because they were problems. Uncounterable exploits. Drop stunning is not a problem, and hilariously easy to counter. Ubisoft just felt the need to take it out and make the little idiots feel better about their wild chasekills.

This is exactly it. The players falling into drop stuns are stupid as hell. One thing you have to learn about anything in life whether its gaming of any activity in RL is that you have to ADAPT to a situation and not just fall into it every time. I was a noob at multiplayer once myself. I would not say I'm pro but after you experience all the tech the other players are using, you learn from what they did to you and what you did to get into that situation and change your game plan. When you take something like this out you are not helping anything and are just teaching new players that it is OK to rush, its OK to be obvious, its OK to jump at your opponent to score 100-150 points. The removal of this has affected my simple deathmatch play. Very annoying.

Lowkey__
11-24-2012, 06:04 PM

Not gonna talk about team modes but you said - valid in Wanted and not so valid in Assassinate? lol. Woow! When it comes to the "rabid killing noobs" part, its easier to evade them in assassinate.. 85% of the times you lock them first anyways.. If you fail to lock on to a noob player who is in high profile on a roof, then he must not be so noob after all! NO WAIT. people WANT to stun them first in assassinate.. We all know why! Running across a map to escape is NOT wasting time in Assassinate but it is in wanted? I will just say you are wrong here..

You seem to think I am DM/Wanted player but if you were around since ACB days, you'd know better. I just lost "interest" in playing assassinate after ACR came out. Stopped caring about that game mode after seeing how easy it was to get 17ks.. and how STUPID it was in a full competitive lobby.. But nevertheless, without going out of topic too much..

Why exactly does one have to jump AT you directly bypassing the default acro mechanics just because he has you locked? That requires nerfing too IMO. There are lots of things that require change in this game. But most of them, like this one, is NOT catering to noobs. No one will remain a noob forever. Anyone with a decent amount of common sense will know not to jump across. Or they will learn eventually. If you are so much reliant on drop stuns against noobs, I have nothing to tell ya..

You're suggesting that something newer players have not learned to do should be taken out of the game to bring the experienced players down to their level. That is a horrid mentality.

LOL I have no idea how you assumed that from what I said. :O Especially since I know that not all knew how to lock mid kill animation before it was taken out.. And I thought taking that out was a bad idea.. But what ever suits you to make something sound "like" an argument, sure. But it makes no sense :/

Its high time people stopped thinking "I am better player. So what ever I do, must be right.". Would drop stuns make it more rewarding for stealthy players? Sure. But its not game breaking OR catering to noobs are what ever!

PS1: Not everyone who is jumping at you with their lock on is essentially chase killing you or a noob.
PS2: Drop stunning IS easy! I've probably wayyyy too many times though I don't call myself a master at it! I know what I am talking about..

Lowkey__
11-24-2012, 07:36 PM
One thing you have to learn about anything in life whether its gaming of any activity in RL is that you have to ADAPT to a situation and not just fall into it every time. I was a noob at multiplayer once myself. I would not say I'm pro but after you experience all the tech the other players are using, you learn from what they did to you and what you did to get into that situation and change your game plan.

Touche. Exactly why I am saying removal of drop stuns is alright. Its time to ADAPT to it, like you just said! Changing the gamestyle to avoid getting killed is not a difficult thing!

When you take something like this out you are not helping anything and are just teaching new players that it is OK to rush, its OK to be obvious, its OK to jump at your opponent to score 100-150 points. The removal of this has affected my simple deathmatch play. Very annoying.

Now how about applying the thing you said in the first part to yourself instead of on others? I agree it affects simple deathmatch. It would have been a good to have in SDM and that is the ONLY place I see any justified use of it..

wraper80
11-24-2012, 08:50 PM
Nobody says they shouldn't cater to the noobs a bit, but it goes ridiculously beyond a bit. It is not a multiplayer game when some random kid with no experience walks into a lobby and beats somebody who's been playing the game for three years. Lmao. That's just ****ing hilarious. After all the bragging about you being the so extremely experienced veteran, pro of this game and drop stun master. You lose to "random kids with no experience". If that's the truth, then I think you just suck balls compared to the real veterans and you're butthurt you can no longer use this "exploit" to farm noobs.

Chachi McSwaqq
11-25-2012, 01:15 AM
Lmao. That's just ****ing hilarious. After all the bragging about you being the so extremely experienced veteran, pro of this game and drop stun master. You lose to "random kids with no experience". If that's the truth, then I think you just suck balls compared to the real veterans and you're butthurt you can no longer use this "exploit" to farm noobs.

Lmao, I wasn't talking about me, buddy. No, I don't lose to noobs. The point is that they shouldn't be able to even compete. They don't know the game. But instead of letting them learn like everyone else, Ubisoft thinks all of the stupid crap they do needs to be buffed. By the way, random individual, you don't know me at all, so your condescension is pretty adorable <3 and besides. You talk a lot of smack but I've never even heard of you and you clearly know jack sh*t about the game, lol. You use the word "butthurt" and think it makes you cool...so I know your approximate age group. It's the one that should be seen and not heard. Have a nice day.

Chachi McSwaqq
11-25-2012, 01:19 AM
Not gonna talk about team modes but you said - valid in Wanted and not so valid in Assassinate? lol. Woow! When it comes to the "rabid killing noobs" part, its easier to evade them in assassinate.. 85% of the times you lock them first anyways.. If you fail to lock on to a noob player who is in high profile on a roof, then he must not be so noob after all! NO WAIT. people WANT to stun them first in assassinate.. We all know why! Running across a map to escape is NOT wasting time in Assassinate but it is in wanted? I will just say you are wrong here..

You seem to think I am DM/Wanted player but if you were around since ACB days, you'd know better. I just lost "interest" in playing assassinate after ACR came out. Stopped caring about that game mode after seeing how easy it was to get 17ks.. and how STUPID it was in a full competitive lobby.. But nevertheless, without going out of topic too much..

Why exactly does one have to jump AT you directly bypassing the default acro mechanics just because he has you locked? That requires nerfing too IMO. There are lots of things that require change in this game. But most of them, like this one, is NOT catering to noobs. No one will remain a noob forever. Anyone with a decent amount of common sense will know not to jump across. Or they will learn eventually. If you are so much reliant on drop stuns against noobs, I have nothing to tell ya..

LOL I have no idea how you assumed that from what I said. :O Especially since I know that not all knew how to lock mid kill animation before it was taken out.. And I thought taking that out was a bad idea.. But what ever suits you to make something sound "like" an argument, sure. But it makes no sense :/

Its high time people stopped thinking "I am better player. So what ever I do, must be right.". Would drop stuns make it more rewarding for stealthy players? Sure. But its not game breaking OR catering to noobs are what ever!

PS1: Not everyone who is jumping at you with their lock on is essentially chase killing you or a noob.
PS2: Drop stunning IS easy! I've probably wayyyy too many times though I don't call myself a master at it! I know what I am talking about..

Lol. You're pretty chill most of the time. So any time you want to stop condescending it'll be fine. Also you could maybe try and actually properly work out what I'm saying because your response makes no sense whatsoever. This is a stupid argument. It's pretty obvious you do not use a drop stun playstyle and I do, so I want them to stay and you don't. I'm not going to argue with somebody like that. You haven't provided one speck of logic for why drop stuns should not be in the game.

wraper80
11-25-2012, 03:15 AM
Ok, so who's the veterans that have been playing the game for three years that get beaten by a random kid with no experience then? I just can't imagine that happening and I think you're fabricating a category of people to get your point across.

Also I don't see why you're getting so worked up about something that clearly doesn't affect you either because you "don't lose to noobs". A better solution for new players would be a MMR style system or in more casual play matching with players who are approximately the same level rather than them getting matched with veterans that "they shouldn't ever be able to compete with".

You see a problem with me being condescending with you, yet it's the same thing that made you create this thread. You're saying that people who use roofing and maybe get a lucky kill on a veteran when they're out out of cooldowns are noobs that pretty much don't deserve that kill because they are so skill less.
You might be pretty decent at the game and have learned it's mechanics well but to me exploiting a glitch isn't really skill because you're playing the game in a unintended way. That'd be like me saying I have skill just because I would found a exploit that only worked if I had perfect timing to allow me too see through the walls.
I talked a lot of smack because I thought your post was full of ****. Whining about an exploit that only works for roof pursuers that are bad and can only be executed during a brief period of time. I don't see how it is a big deal for veteran players to be honest and you should be able to get on just fine without it. Gameplay changes happen to every game and pros learn to adapt to the changed game. There's probably a lot of people who didn't like changes to Counter-Strike or changes to classes in WoW that altered arena balance. But pros either adapted or moved on to another game.

You can think it's a bad call all you want but I doubt Ubisoft are gonna change their mind over something so minor when it's an exploit. Would be better for them to implement a mechanic that favoured skill instead. I don't think "butthurt" is a cool word but I thought it appropriate for the kind of complaining you're doing.

Lowkey__
11-25-2012, 04:06 AM
Lol. You're pretty chill most of the time. So any time you want to stop condescending it'll be fine. Also you could maybe try and actually properly work out what I'm saying because your response makes no sense whatsoever. This is a stupid argument. It's pretty obvious you do not use a drop stun playstyle and I do, so I want them to stay and you don't. I'm not going to argue with somebody like that. You haven't provided one speck of logic for why drop stuns should not be in the game.

:P I am not trying to be condescending at all trust me. I can be more direct rather than trying to be politically correct like I am now. You on the other hand, sounded "you don't play assassinate and manhunt so you don't know what you are talking" card. Hypocrite much? I ignore it though but I felt I must correct you :/

My point is, drop stuns being missing is not ground breaking. Like I have said before (which has been ignored clearly) drop stuns are good. I am not denying that. Someone jumping was temporarily not able to kill, which you thought was a "feature" but Ubi thinks otherwise. We just have to deal with stuffs, just like we dealt with Ubi taking out mid kill-animation locking.

I think you are taking this whole drop stun thingie personally.. My response obviously doesn't make sense to you because you are not looking. Its not that I don't "USE" dropstun play style. When someone drops at me, I know how to stun, no less than anyone. But the whole concept of "using a drop stun play style" makes NO sense. Its not a play style. If you call it a play style, then it must really work only on stupid noobs who doesn't know what they are doing. Stop wanting to beat noobs. Stop thinking about 20ks. You will probably understand.

PS: Also, its not wise to look for "logic" in everything. It doesn't make you a "logically thinking" person!

swiftavenger212
11-25-2012, 05:02 AM
So much whining, ubisoft removed it and they wont bring it back so ADAPT to it.

You know how you prevent roofers jumping at you and killing you? lock them first in assassinate (game mode that was broken in ACR/AC3).

or you could just run around a corner, and then run back out and stun them (if they are noobs, u will stun them).

Either way, people should care about the fact that stunning people and then killing them nets you much more points than just killing them in assassinate.

Oh and you brought up deathmatch, there are no chases in deathmatch so your pursuer can jump at you and u have to keep running from them until they get stunned, so drop stuns are even more important in deathmatch than assassinate/wanted....

G1ZMO_DRAG0N
11-25-2012, 05:58 AM
Hey guys....in the end the change wasnt game breaking but yes it did give chasers alittle advantage. lets hope for a change or better stratedgies to combat this. All in all the change was for the better, for us offensively atleast. How many times have you jumped off a roof in asa and locked midair for a beautiful kill on landing?

Chachi McSwaqq
11-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Ok, so who's the veterans that have been playing the game for three years that get beaten by a random kid with no experience then? I just can't imagine that happening and I think you're fabricating a category of people to get your point across.

Also I don't see why you're getting so worked up about something that clearly doesn't affect you either because you "don't lose to noobs". A better solution for new players would be a MMR style system or in more casual play matching with players who are approximately the same level rather than them getting matched with veterans that "they shouldn't ever be able to compete with".

You see a problem with me being condescending with you, yet it's the same thing that made you create this thread. You're saying that people who use roofing and maybe get a lucky kill on a veteran when they're out out of cooldowns are noobs that pretty much don't deserve that kill because they are so skill less.
You might be pretty decent at the game and have learned it's mechanics well but to me exploiting a glitch isn't really skill because you're playing the game in a unintended way. That'd be like me saying I have skill just because I would found a exploit that only worked if I had perfect timing to allow me too see through the walls.
I talked a lot of smack because I thought your post was full of ****. Whining about an exploit that only works for roof pursuers that are bad and can only be executed during a brief period of time. I don't see how it is a big deal for veteran players to be honest and you should be able to get on just fine without it. Gameplay changes happen to every game and pros learn to adapt to the changed game. There's probably a lot of people who didn't like changes to Counter-Strike or changes to classes in WoW that altered arena balance. But pros either adapted or moved on to another game.

You can think it's a bad call all you want but I doubt Ubisoft are gonna change their mind over something so minor when it's an exploit. Would be better for them to implement a mechanic that favoured skill instead. I don't think "butthurt" is a cool word but I thought it appropriate for the kind of complaining you're doing.

Thanks for upping the maturity a little.

There are not veterans that get beaten but the fact remains that it's a possibility and becomes more likely with every backwards patch Ubisoft releases. And your matchmaking deal isn't a solution. Sure, instead of imbalancing the game in the noobs' favor they could just fix their sh*tty matchmaking, but obviously that isn't going to happen. They can't even patch in a back out button for when it throws you in a different mode. Think that's a LITTLE bit advanced for them.

No, I did not make this thread for condescension, neither is it condescending. I made this thread because Ubisoft removed a basic game mechanic that was completely fine and had NO reason WHATSOEVER to be removed. It doesn't matter if it's an "exploit," which is especially stupid considering it only works when someone performs a physically impossible maneuver to fall into it. You don't just remove something from the game when it causes no problems at all. No, it makes me angry when they remove something like this that I have adapted into my playstyle along with many other players, and then they leave ACTUALLY broken or overpowered things like ACB stunlocking or ACR smoke.

No, what this is, is a noob staring at a clearly visible enemy tripwire mine, and proceeding to run straight into it. Now Ubisoft, instead of letting the noob learn not to run into tripwire mines, would rather just make all players immune to tripwire mines until level 30. Comparing drop stunning, a balanced and completely counterable "exploit," to wall hacking, is silly. "Oh but it's not fair because the noobs don't know not to jump at you." Well, actually, the INTRO SESSIONS tell you not to be overaggressive. You know what the intros DON'T tell you? How to predict and avoid a smoke bomb. Yet apparently drop stunning is unfair and smoke bomb isn't. Nobody complains that it's unfair when a noob runs into a smoke bomb because they didn't know the person had it.

Even though it's ALREADY a big deal by itself because removing naked stuns makes the game another stupid ability war, the point is that Ubisoft is absolutely addicted to making patches that A. buff the most overpowered ability (ACR smoke, AC3 knives) and B. remove things that were completely fine and caused no problems whatsoever, in fact making the game more interesting (ACR mid kill locking, AC3 drop stuns). This company has no clue how to patch and they make changes to try and hold newbies' hands while they learn the game. Something nobody ever did for us. These noobs didn't even have a clue what drop stuns were. No idea whatsoever. All they knew was if they disobeyed the intro session it would usually get them stunned. Apparently that's a problem though. They CERTAINLY weren't on the forums whining about drop stuns.

n00bfi_97
11-25-2012, 10:51 AM
These problems regarding noobs chase killing you and jumping at you and killing cause you can't dropstun them - it's to do with the playerbase being less skilful, not the actual gameplay mechanics.

luckyto
11-25-2012, 08:34 PM
that's why they deserve to get stunned, to teach them not to play like Leeroy Jenkins. To me, that's why I think drop stuns should be allowed, they encourage players to play smarter.

n00bfi_97
11-25-2012, 09:29 PM
that's why they deserve to get stunned, to teach them not to play like Leeroy Jenkins. To me, that's why I think drop stuns should be allowed, they encourage players to play smarter.

They deserve to get taught a lesson in stunning via an exploit?

Logic used: none.

pantherthug89
11-25-2012, 09:33 PM
drop stunning isn't really all that advanced of a manuever to begin with, anyone with the knowledge of the drop stuns' existence can easily pull it off. I mean is running underneath someone while they are jumping and spamming the X button really a complicated process? Don't get me wrong I also agree that they should not have taken it out of the game because it was a counter-measure against roofers, but to say it is a shot at experienced players is a rather laughable excuse. This game in general is not very difficult at all to be good at, its just the matter of finding the "right" way to score tons of points and play like "pros". In ACB I was only playing for a month and my highest score was a 5k in Manhunt, I watched two giaquinto videos on how to play "the pro way" and 30 minutes later I made my VAA tryout. I also find it hilarious that people constantly complain about there not being enough creativity in the game, there is plenty of oppurtunity out there if you experiment with different sets, I bet half the people saying there is a lack of creativity use the same **** set every single game for months on end. How many of us have tried Glimmer in assassinate, how many of us have tried morph in artifact assault, how many of us have used more than 5 different abilities? my guess is not many. Sure you may suck at using them for a few weeks, maybe even for several months, but if you want your creativity that's what you'll have to do, but unfortunately in my opinion at least, luring someone into jumping at you and spamming X isnt all that "creative"

WLP Adoniis
11-25-2012, 09:34 PM
To tell you all the thruth ,I never really like drop stuns in ACR.Don't get me wrong I dropStunned every pursuer that jump(d) towards me ,every single time ,unless they used smoke. Yes it's really useful when you don't have abilities.I think we can all agree that the offensive side was too overpowered (ACR) mainly because of the overpowered smoke/long stun rage (comparing it to the ACB stun range)/huge B prompt/resets = Acb's boost cooldown and reset cooldowns combined / Knowing you"ll reduce the pursuer's points by contesting him-her . Drop stun is a glitch-lag (however you want to call it) just like stunlock is in ACB but the differences are that stunLocking needs a lot of team coordination (timing)in other words way more skills is needed than drop stunning .

Has anyone tried drop stunning but from the pursuer's back ? If it's possible then it would take more skill . Also I guess you guys don't know of what they changed in the mp they reversed something...... :) not sure if I should post it here.

cruzateu
11-25-2012, 09:35 PM
These problems regarding noobs chase killing you and jumping at you and killing cause you can't dropstun them - it's to do with the playerbase being less skilful, not the actual gameplay mechanics.

actually, there is hot pursuit so there are sometimes that you can`t escape (because they took out the one that made the target one faster( it was in acb))

Lowkey__
11-25-2012, 09:43 PM

Saying they "deserve" to get stunned because they are "noobs" is wrong on so many levels. Its not gonna teach anyone anything. The same people who complain about noobs also complain about blend group campers! Basically, the "tolerance" against any gamestyle that irks them deserves to be changed! I have seen wayy too many people to know this for a fact! They have a problem with EVERYTHING other than just handing over kills easily.

I may be generalizing wayy too much but I know a few who are this way and they complain about pretty much anything.

papartusedmcrsk
11-25-2012, 09:48 PM
Leeroy Jenkins.

Gets me every time. Lmao.

luckyto
11-25-2012, 10:31 PM
Saying they "deserve" to get stunned because they are "noobs" is wrong on so many levels. Its not gonna teach anyone anything. The same people who complain about noobs also complain about blend group campers! Basically, the "tolerance" against any gamestyle that irks them deserves to be changed! I have seen wayy too many people to know this for a fact! They have a problem with EVERYTHING other than just handing over kills easily.

I may be generalizing wayy too much but I know a few who are this way and they complain about pretty much anything.

Whoa, now, Zorboid. Avoid the personal, please, especially when quoting. One, I've never complained about group campers. Nor runners/roofers ever. I didn't even say "noobs." I'm not without a few things in this game that irk me to me no end such as OSB in ACR (only) or Animus Hack in this game. Guilty as charged. But we all are. I'm one of the minority who have posted threads crediting Ubisoft for all the things they have done right in AC3, which are many. I do believe that positive and negative feedback helps, or else I wouldn't be here.

Sue me if I don't feel like standing on a roof or pile of boxes in DM and sprint jumping at your target to be an intelligent play style. Do you play that way? No, because you've learned better. Why should Ubi go to the trouble of removing stun prompts and adding NPC kill cooldowns if not to encourage stealthy gameplay? Yet, allowing drop stuns or putting a red arrow over my head when I stun a pursuer are not game mechanics which encourage stealth or tactical approaches. Especially when that contested kill may yield a reckless, savior, poacher or any other number of bonuses.

How is it an exploit? If a person is in mid-air and bracing for a landing, they should be vulnerable. It never ever felt like an exploit. It felt natural.

zarakon
11-26-2012, 12:26 AM
I didn't realize how much I used this in AC:R until playing AC3. The first couple times, I thought it was just lag that was allowing the guy to kill me before I could stun.

I never thought of it as a bug or exploit at all. It makes perfect sense. When you drop from a height like that, you either drop and roll or drop to a knee briefly. You're unable to move or change direction for a moment, so why should you be able to perform a kill during that time?

Now there will be no real safety from people on the roofs, if they can just leap to you 20 yards from the building

Anandasama
11-26-2012, 08:48 AM
I kind of like that drop stuns are gone, because I can play more aggressive like ejecting towards players in assassinate, locking in mid air and get the kill upon landing.
doing that pre patch would have got you stunned.

wraper80
11-26-2012, 11:40 AM
I made this thread because Ubisoft removed a basic game mechanic that was completely fine and had NO reason WHATSOEVER to be removed. It doesn't matter if it's an "exploit," which is especially stupid considering it only works when someone performs a physically impossible maneuver to fall into it. You don't just remove something from the game when it causes no problems at all. No, it makes me angry when they remove something like this that I have adapted into my playstyle along with many other players, and then they leave ACTUALLY broken or overpowered things like ACB stunlocking or ACR smoke.

The problem is, that's your opinion which obviously Ubisoft didn't agree with. You have an inherent bias to think it's fine because you've used it for so long and honestly I don't know if you're the best person to judge on such a matter then. I did drop stunning myself in AC:R but I don't really care if it's there or not, I'll manage anyway. If they do put it back in they should do so as a featured mechanic instead of the glitchy maneuver it was. Also I think it's funny that a company that you're bashing and have no faith in whatsoever should consider your opinion.

No, what this is, is a noob staring at a clearly visible enemy tripwire mine, and proceeding to run straight into it. Now Ubisoft, instead of letting the noob learn not to run into tripwire mines, would rather just make all players immune to tripwire mines until level 30. Comparing drop stunning, a balanced and completely counterable "exploit," to wall hacking, is silly. "Oh but it's not fair because the noobs don't know not to jump at you." Well, actually, the INTRO SESSIONS tell you not to be overaggressive. You know what the intros DON'T tell you? How to predict and avoid a smoke bomb. Yet apparently drop stunning is unfair and smoke bomb isn't. Nobody complains that it's unfair when a noob runs into a smoke bomb because they didn't know the person had it.

As I said before if it was a featured mechanic it wouldn't be that much on of an issue for me. But in the state that is now, how would they know? They might just think it's a bug or delay because it's not an official thing unlike smoke.

Even though it's ALREADY a big deal by itself because removing naked stuns makes the game another stupid ability war, the point is that Ubisoft is absolutely addicted to making patches that A. buff the most overpowered ability (ACR smoke, AC3 knives) and B. remove things that were completely fine and caused no problems whatsoever, in fact making the game more interesting (ACR mid kill locking, AC3 drop stuns). This company has no clue how to patch and they make changes to try and hold newbies' hands while they learn the game. Something nobody ever did for us. These noobs didn't even have a clue what drop stuns were. No idea whatsoever. All they knew was if they disobeyed the intro session it would usually get them stunned. Apparently that's a problem though. They CERTAINLY weren't on the forums whining about drop stuns.

You can still do corner naked stuns and juking. It's mainly aggressive roofers that gain anything from this and from my experience they end up with really ****ty score anyway because of their play style so I don't see what the big deal is.
I know a lot of people that don't like to frequent forums because of the elitism, hostile environment and so on. I usually think it's hilarious because I have thick skin but I understand why the majority of newer people don't go here. Also new players actually try to learn the basics of the game and get better instead of focusing on "pro" moves and tactics. Besides how could they whine if they don't even understand what you're doing? -.-

But all this talk of roofing got me thinking. I'd rather have people instantly die if they jump on the ground from three stories and up and the only way you can live through it is by successfully air assassinating your target, landing in hay bale/flower petals/bush/pelts etc, ledge grabbing before hitting the ground or parachuting which would be a newly implemented thing that was a once per life use, death streak ability or similar.

luckyto
11-26-2012, 04:28 PM
It's mainly aggressive roofers that gain anything from this

Should they gain anything at all? That's how I made my decision. Not whether or not those players can be beaten, but does removing drop stuns encourage smarter more tactical approaches, and it doesn't. To me, it only encourages those players to do it more -- because they tend to only care about getting a kill and they are rewarded with it.

But all this talk of roofing got me thinking. I'd rather have people instantly die if they jump on the ground from three stories and up and the only way you can live through it is by successfully air assassinating your target, landing in hay bale/flower petals/bush/pelts etc, ledge grabbing before hitting the ground or parachuting which would be a newly implemented thing that was a once per life use, death streak ability or similar.

I've wanted something like this for a long. Maybe not death, but I would love to see people affected by long falls ... such as what happens when you are hit by knife. Wounded and slowed down for a few seconds. It would put a lot more skill into free-running.

It might suck though. I heard from someone that they had actually tried it in the early phases of developing Brotherhood and left it out. And it would end the SuperPro fun :)

Chachi McSwaqq
11-26-2012, 10:19 PM
The problem is, that's your opinion which obviously Ubisoft didn't agree with. You have an inherent bias to think it's fine because you've used it for so long and honestly I don't know if you're the best person to judge on such a matter then. I did drop stunning myself in AC:R but I don't really care if it's there or not, I'll manage anyway. If they do put it back in they should do so as a featured mechanic instead of the glitchy maneuver it was. Also I think it's funny that a company that you're bashing and have no faith in whatsoever should consider your opinion.

As I said before if it was a featured mechanic it wouldn't be that much on of an issue for me. But in the state that is now, how would they know? They might just think it's a bug or delay because it's not an official thing unlike smoke.

You can still do corner naked stuns and juking. It's mainly aggressive roofers that gain anything from this and from my experience they end up with really ****ty score anyway because of their play style so I don't see what the big deal is.
I know a lot of people that don't like to frequent forums because of the elitism, hostile environment and so on. I usually think it's hilarious because I have thick skin but I understand why the majority of newer people don't go here. Also new players actually try to learn the basics of the game and get better instead of focusing on "pro" moves and tactics. Besides how could they whine if they don't even understand what you're doing? -.-

Yes, I've ALWAYS wanted that in the game. Some kind of slowing effect at the very least when you make a ******ed jump that's physically impossible. But drop stuns were the closest thing to that that punished idiotic jumps and Ubisoft removed them.

SpontaneousC0W
11-27-2012, 04:19 AM
I've heard a lot of people getting "Drop stuns" even though they're "Not in ACIII" I feel that there is Drop stuns, just really hard to do? Just my guess :P

Sai_Hira
11-27-2012, 05:51 AM

You actualy made me reply
+1 to you.

Drop stuns should remain becasue
THERE IS NO GOD**** HEALTHBAR.
to be exact falls/drops fron certains heights shold desynch like they would in single player, and any jumps that would casue fall damage in sp should case a "knoves effect, proportionate to the damage that would have been casued in sp.

Not to mention the whole LEEROY JENKINS THING.

ClownDemon
11-27-2012, 06:12 AM
Naked stuns are satisfying. Falling and punching someone in the face is awesome. Drop stuns would add more ways to land stuns without relying on abilities. :cool:

n00bfi_97
11-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Then fix the "healthbar" issue. You're trying to fix one ret.arded thing (jump from the sky and not getting hurt) with another ret.arded thing (dropstunning).

luckyto
11-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Then fix the "healthbar" issue. You're trying to fix one ret.arded thing (jump from the sky and not getting hurt) with another ret.arded thing (dropstunning).

It's really not ******ed. If someone is jumping from a height, they should be vulnerable as they brace for landing. It's much more logical to me than being able to jump from three stories and mash KILL for a contested when they should be recovering from broken legs and getting punched in the gut.

Evil 5teven
11-27-2012, 06:18 PM
jeez...yes...definitely!!!

But it is a tricky line though. Meaning, that it should be available mainly for those jumps that actually make your character do an animation of "effort". Dropping from a crate should not enable drop-stun to work. But jumping from the clocktower in Boston Harbor, definitely should get you a 1 second delay before getting to do any action.

Rossko23
11-27-2012, 07:47 PM
While I really don't give a hoot that drop stunning is gone, I do agree that being able to jump from insane heights is ridiculous. I've been able to get Silent kills by jumping from a roof with an Incognito onto my target (I don't actually employ this kind of play usually, it was just for teh lulz). It forces a player to use an ability in order to stop an otherwise almost invincible player.

While I think drop stunning should stay 6 feet under and not buried in the pet cemetery (Metaphor master here), a penalty for being superpr0 and jumping insane heights in order to reach your lock should be induced. I think a health bar system seems a bit strange given the concepts of the Multi-player and the series as a whole. I mean, look at the Single Player; you can air assassinate a hare from a tree and not feel any pain! Going off on a tangent... There should perhaps be a clench control of sort that prevents you from jumping from such a height. It would promote having to tactically manoeuvre to cut off and get your target just like a normal Aerial, no easy ways out. This idea definitely has many holes but I'm not being paid to come up with anything special...

n00bfi_97
11-27-2012, 08:35 PM
It's really not ******ed. If someone is jumping from a height, they should be vulnerable as they brace for landing. It's much more logical to me than being able to jump from three stories and mash KILL for a contested when they should be recovering from broken legs and getting punched in the gut.

Well then fix that. Fix the jumping from three stories rather than include drop stunning.

luckyto
11-27-2012, 09:19 PM
I would love to see it. No health bars. Just give people the same penalty as if being knifed. It slows you down momentarily and has a brief mute effect.

That's this freerunners' dream.

Madcap Luck
11-29-2012, 07:47 AM
Jumping from up high, to land and do a somersault and get a kill? Naaah.. Doesn't make sense to me. Plus, it gives all the advantage to the airborne character. So I can jump off the roof at high speed, land right in front of my target, with NO way for them to counter (except dropping smoke). Basically if your pursuer is above you now, your done.. Before you could run out of range and risk them jumping out at you.. I believe It makes reckless play more rewarded. Bring drop stun back!

Anandasama
11-29-2012, 08:54 AM
knives works as well on flying pursuers. knife, move a bit to the side, stun. save smoke knives for defensive purposes.

and corner stunning is your friend.