PDA

View Full Version : [How to fix] Ubishop installer -> not enough space on harddisk

Tregan
11-22-2012, 01:35 AM
I'm not sure if I'm the only person with this problem, but I might be able to help someone with this.

I bought AC3 via the Ubishop, and I got a link for an .exe. When you download the game, the .exe will start extracting.

This is where the problem is: The files wil automatically get extracted to your AppData/Temp/AC3/ folder on your C-disk.
When you do not have enough space on your C-drive (maybe because your installation of Windows is on a small SSD), the extraction fails.

What Ubisoft could do: Update the installer so you're able to select a location for extraction.

In the meanwhile you can use a Windows feature, called symbolic linking. It pretty much is a folder reference to a folder on another disk.
To make such a link, start command prompt (not sure if run as admin is needed, however I'd say it is) and type

mklink <WINDOWS_DISK>:\Users\<YOUR_USERNAME>\AppData\Temp\AC3 <NEW_DISK>:\<NEW_LOCATION>
[ENTER]

e.g.
mklink C:\Users\Derpina\AppData\Temp\AC3 E:\AC3_Installer
[ENTER]

The example above will let Windows know that the actual location of "C:\Users\Derpina\AppData\Temp\AC3" is at "E:\AC3_Installer", and thus all extracted files will go into a folder on a disk with enough space.

To remove the symbolic link, just go to your AppData\Temp folder and remove the AC3 shortcut. Of course you can just delete the extracted files when installation is complete.

I hope this helps anyone, and if not, it helped me anyway :P

Yours,
Tregan

ODuron
03-19-2013, 03:51 AM
I'm not sure if I'm the only person with this problem, but I might be able to help someone with this.

I bought AC3 via the Ubishop, and I got a link for an .exe. When you download the game, the .exe will start extracting.

This is where the problem is: The files wil automatically get extracted to your AppData/Temp/AC3/ folder on your C-disk.
When you do not have enough space on your C-drive (maybe because your installation of Windows is on a small SSD), the extraction fails.

What Ubisoft could do: Update the installer so you're able to select a location for extraction.

In the meanwhile you can use a Windows feature, called symbolic linking. It pretty much is a folder reference to a folder on another disk.
To make such a link, start command prompt (not sure if run as admin is needed, however I'd say it is) and type

mklink <WINDOWS_DISK>:\Users\<YOUR_USERNAME>\AppData\Temp\AC3 <NEW_DISK>:\<NEW_LOCATION>
[ENTER]

e.g.
mklink C:\Users\Derpina\AppData\Temp\AC3 E:\AC3_Installer
[ENTER]

The example above will let Windows know that the actual location of "C:\Users\Derpina\AppData\Temp\AC3" is at "E:\AC3_Installer", and thus all extracted files will go into a folder on a disk with enough space.

To remove the symbolic link, just go to your AppData\Temp folder and remove the AC3 shortcut. Of course you can just delete the extracted files when installation is complete.

I hope this helps anyone, and if not, it helped me anyway :P

Yours,
Tregan
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I had the same problem with AC3 using my SSD. I was able to install the program on my drive 3, but it still left my SSD full. Can I delete the AC3 folder located in App Data -> Local -> Temp ?