PDA

View Full Version : Sound glitch?

Max-Temple
11-22-2012, 12:38 AM
after a session using headphones on the gamepad, the game has lost most sound effects and restarting it doesn't fix it. sounds "ONLY" work with the headphones option selected but don't on small and wide dynamic.

is there a fix for this? getting tired of zombies sneaking on me cause i can't hear their screams

this happened 2 days ago, managed to finish the game but the glitch is still there even on the survivor mode

Max-Temple
11-22-2012, 01:27 AM
just died from a bite on survivor mode, it came from behind while killing his friends

if any admin is reading this i would really appreciate a fix to this sound problem

more info: reloading sounds, regular zombie screams and footsteps, all character sounds (except sprinting), explosions, and some gunshots, all those gone (except on headphone sound mode)

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
11-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Hi Max-Temple and welcome to the forums, I will pass this along and see if there is a solution.

Do you have any other WiiU games you can test to see if this is also happening on those? could you let us know if it does?

Mrbloodstone
11-23-2012, 07:09 AM
I am having the same problem. For a while every time i attack with my cricket bat, I never heard a sound and played it this way for days...I could hear zonbies faintly in the background so I put the sound on then i switched to gamepad speakers and i was amazed at the sound of thunder and the character screaming as she was hitting a zombie. I had noidea I was missing out on so many sound effects and the game sounded way beter and more mature but the gamepads speakers aren't exactly great so i would love to hear everything as I should. Please fix this.

I have tried Nintendoland and i have no issues wirh that game at all...I also have tried darksiders 2 anf have played a lot on strictly gamepad and tv and gamepad and I have no issues. It sounds like their coukd be a bug but i hear zombies and birds just cant hear action sound effects (hitting, gunshots, reloading guns character screaming): and weather sound effects. I hope this helps.

Max-Temple
11-23-2012, 11:57 PM
no sounds yet but waiting for imminent fix as this is not isolated (a LOT of people have this problem). All my other apps, wii content as well as nintendoland function normally with no problems

Max-Temple
11-24-2012, 02:36 AM
found a solution, a weird one but it worked (????).
changed the audio-output type to stereo (was surround) and it's working again, i believe it's an issue with a file in the game cause it was working with surround before, if anyone's having this problem try this and just switch back to surround for other games.

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
11-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Thank you for that Max-Temple, I will pass that along to the team and will let you know of any updates.

Stemage
11-26-2012, 05:35 AM
I'm having this issue as well. The cricket bat makes a swinging sound, but no collision noise. Zombie "growls" cut off early (they start, but then cut off early). All in game audio that isn't ambient audio is VERY muffled or nonexistent/sporadic. There's no sound when I hit a zombie. There's no breathing from my character at all.

I just made it to the "Doc" and there are tapes that I can play on the tables, but I can only hear the reverberation of the audio in the room, muffled echoes. I might have possibly had a conversation with him and didn't even know. I'm off to the palace and I don't even know why I was in his lab. ? I assume I'm missing plot points at this point! :(

I just switched to the GamePad to test, and it works great! I just realized that my character can breathe! I'm missing so much. I'd consider starting over my game if I thought that could fix it. But that makes me nervous. Can I back up my save somehow? Could the glitch be attached to the game save? I am running into an external receiver, but I changed to the TV and have tried both forms of audio (wide dynamic and stereo). I've reloaded the game multiple times.

I can take a video to show you examples of the issues if that helps.

Help? I'd rather not delete my save, but unless a patch is planned, I either need to restart or play with headphones and the gamepad, which is cool, but people are watching me play.

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
11-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Hi Stemage, could you open a ticket with Technical Support please and include the video and any other information? http://support.ubisoft.com/

Stemage
11-27-2012, 05:54 AM
I figured out the issue, and it was with the Wii sound settings. I didn't realize that was what Max was talking about. Changing to stereo fixed the issue completely.

jakescott81
11-27-2012, 10:02 PM
I'm having this same issue. I hear NO sound effect whatsoever when I kill a zombie. I thought this was rather strange so I switched the sound settings to gamepad/headphones only and suddenly I could hear all the sound effects. I couldn't believe I had played the game this long without hearing my weapon hit a zombie, OR even hear the zombies growling period. It made the game much better but this is a huge problem for people like myself that love their surround sound systems. Please fix this sound glitch ASAP.

I realize that Max-Temple found a "fix" but when you spend this much money on a game system and a game, you expect to be able to listen to the audio at it's FULL surround sound potential.

Stemage
11-27-2012, 11:01 PM
Jake, after some reading, I've found that it is a native WiiU sound issue (not really an issue). Go into the WiiU system settings and go to the sound menu. You'll see an option for surround, stereo, mono with options to play a test tone for each. You'll probably notice that when you play the "surround" test tone, you are missing some notes. There's the issue. You need to use Stereo.

If you're like me, you're running the HDMI into the TV instead of a video receiver. TV speakers don't support 5.1 signal, and if you are running sound through the TV and into your receiver, TVs can only pass through stereo signal from external components, not 5.1 signal from HDMI. It's a legal thing.

IN OTHER WORDS, you probably need to set your WiiU settings to be stereo and not surround. That fixes the issue. The problem is that we're not getting any center channel audio because the TV speakers don't support that, and the TV can't pass through 5.1 audio to the receiver.

ZombiU just happens to be a game that truly utilizes 5.1 audio, and because of the limitations of the WiiU setup (not having a separate optical out on the back of the WiiU), I'm not able to take advantage of surround sound since I don't have a receiver that supports HDMI. That's too bad. And I have to blame Nintendo for this, not Ubi.

The only way around the issue is to buy some sort of box that splits the digital audio off from the HDMI like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2

Hope that helps.

jakescott81
11-28-2012, 01:57 AM
Thanks for the info. I have a 60 inch Sharp LED tv (LC-60LE632U). It has 4 HDMI inputs and an Optical audio out. The optical out goes to my receiver and the 5.1 Dolby Surround definitely passes through the tv to the receiver. My xbox360 is hooked up via HDMI to my tv and I have fully working surround sound when playing the Xbox. The WiiU is hooked up the same way but the surround will not work correctly. I plugged the WiiU directly into my receiver to test and I am still missing the rear "test notes" when sampling surround sound. I hope Nintendo corrects this. I can't understand why they wouldn't put an optical out on the WiiU. Dumb move.

Stemage
11-28-2012, 02:16 AM
"The optical out goes to my receiver and the 5.1 Dolby Surround definitely passes through the tv to the receiver. My xbox360 is hooked up via HDMI to my tv and I have fully working surround sound when playing the Xbox."

Does your receiver show that it's dolby digital? Are you not running optical from the Xbox directly to the receiver? I only ask because apparently (I can't find the article darn it) TVs now will only pass through digital PCM stereo, and only over-the-air HD will send 5.1 to the receiver from the optical cables. Maybe it's different with different brands. It's some legality thing.

I just found this in your product manual:
Depending on the connected equipment, audio will not output from the DIGITAL AUDIO OUTPUT terminal in HDMI
connection. In this case, set the audio formats of the connected equipment to PCM, 32/44.1/48 kHz.
Optical digital audio will be output in 2-ch stereo when it is from the external equipment connected to the TV using an HDMI cable.

I'm not posting that to prove you wrong or anything - I was just curious myself. Looks like you aren't getting 5.1 from the TV according to your manual. It must be running dolby pro logic or something. Maybe not, but that's from your manual. I'm learning a hell of a lot. I just ordered that box I linked, and I'll let you know how it runs.

"I plugged the WiiU directly into my receiver to test and I am still missing the rear "test notes" when sampling surround sound."

That's just weird. ?? I'd imagine Nintendo or a 3rd party will release some new cables soon that will fix the headache.

jakescott81
11-28-2012, 03:52 AM
That makes sense. My receiver actually does say its in PCM mode but it works good enough for me ( can hear people walking behind me ect.). I use my optical out of my Xbox for my PX5 headset.

On a side note....when using the WiiU supplied HDMI cable there was terrible lag when pressing buttons. Switched it with my Xbox HDMI cable and it fixed the lag. Nintendo is slacking on quality apparently...

Stemage
11-28-2012, 05:56 AM
Well that sucks.

I'm just happy I figured it out. I'm gonna hold off on playing the game more until my new splitter box comes in.

Stemage
12-08-2012, 08:56 PM
UPDATE! The splitter didn't work either! Wanna know why? The WiiU only supports LPCM 5.1 - not Dolby or any other older standard. My receiver doesn't support this, so I'm screwed. Here's a breakdown of WiiU surround sound limitations:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500865