PDA

View Full Version : How do I activate AC3 if I don't have a dvd drive?

Gijora
11-22-2012, 12:09 AM
Hey guys, I've got a bit of a problem.

MY pc doesn't have a dvd drive, and I've purchased a retail copy copy of AC3. After several hours of research, two phone calls to Ubi support, and and open (as of yet unanswered) ticket, the conclusion seems to be that there is no way to activate my copy without actually having it installed first.

Is there any way, any way AT ALL, to activate my copy of the game without having to actually have in installed. I've been able to do this for so many other games: Mass Effect 3, Fallout, Oblivion, Diablo, SC2, etc; it just seems impossible that I'd not be able to do so for AC3.

Any help/tips/ideas are appreciated!

Inb4 "buy one, cheapo". My mobo only has 2 sata ports (and no ide) and they're both in use for a raid0 setup, so adding another drive is strictly out of the question.

melancholyroar
11-22-2012, 12:13 AM
I dont believe this is a way.

YayaTourette
11-22-2012, 12:19 AM
Ever thought of buying a USB-DVD-drive ?

bigdog9586
11-22-2012, 12:21 AM
I got one for my laptop for $22

Joy_Knute
11-22-2012, 12:24 AM
Or maybe use another computer to read the DVD and transfer the data files to your computer through network, USB flash drive or an external HD?

Gijora
11-22-2012, 12:27 AM
Ever thought of buying a USB-DVD-drive ?
Yes, but then I realized I just paid $60 for the game and $30 for the controller. I'm not buying another thing. I've paid for my copy of the game, why can't I just activate it like I have EVERY OTHER modern game?

ALSO! After a bit of research, and some tropsing around less-than-reputable sites, I got my hand on a copy of the *.iso files for the Russian retail version, which links me into UPlay, to activate the russian retail version. So, now I know activation is just an magnet link to UPlay; I just have to find the US link.

Pieteris
11-22-2012, 01:38 AM
mate,sure there is a way ;) Download a non-cracked copy and add your cd-key.

MaceMagoo
11-22-2012, 01:43 AM
I cannot understand why you would buy a DVD version of the game which comes on a DVD, that requires a DVD drive......DVD....drive. Did at no point your brain say 'Hey, hang on a minute we don't have a DVD drive!'

Gijora
11-22-2012, 01:54 AM
I cannot understand why you would buy a DVD version of the game which comes on a DVD, that requires a DVD drive......DVD....drive. Did at no point your brain say 'Hey, hang on a minute we don't have a DVD drive!'

Ya, then I saw the packaging, and the steam promotions, and the UPlay promotions that all advertised downloading the game.

I figured that it would be like every other PC game released in the past 5 years: you plug in the code, and you're given a download link. Like I said above, that's what I did for (but not limited to): Mass Effect 3, Diablo 3, World of Warcraft, Starcraft 2, Farcry 2, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Portal 2, Civilization 5, and the Sims 3.

First time I've hit this snag.

mate,sure there is a way ;) Download a non-cracked copy and add your cd-key.

Dude, if you've got a link to one, you're my new best friend. As of yet, I can't find one.

balance6
11-22-2012, 02:18 AM
You are actually right, it's a really stupid thing, that you can't active your key before installing the game, its completely illogical.

Stiler
11-22-2012, 03:33 AM
This the one thing that is holding Uplay back imo. I assumed you could activate your key on it as well and download it through that instead of having to use Gamefly's client/greenmangaming's capsule client or others but nope.