PDA

View Full Version : Youtube video infringing copyright issue?

Voncarstien161
11-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Hello all,
I recently posted a video on Youtube to try and help people out who were struggling to find where to put the 3 power sources as Desmond.
In other words the video is a guide/walkthrough of educational purposes, with commentary over the top, so i thought it should be allowed but Youtube say otherwise, does anybody know what Ubisoft say about videos like this, is there anyway i could get some sort of license of ubisoft?
My video is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIf7VnXaij0
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

montagemik
11-21-2012, 08:29 PM
a free user made guide discourages people from buying or following guides made by companies who likely paid for the right to produce a walkthrough.
It's all about making money unfortunately .

Maybe Ubisoft will grant permission if you credit them in some way for their product - There are several on the internet already

zingfharn
11-22-2012, 02:52 AM
It's their game. They created all of it. They own the copyright to their own game. As they should.
The graphics, they own.
The music and sound effects (which you've left in the background) are also copyrighted.

You only own the copyright to any original work you created. That is, you own the copyright on your speaking. And nothing else at all.

Content owners can upload their own content and use YouTube's content ID system to match against this. When it matches, the owner can choose to remove, monitor, or advertise against it.
Ubi smartly advertise against it, increasing their revenue. You should search for youtube content id (or click the note in your account) to learn more.

You are probably triggering a match against both the audio (which you've left in) and the still of Desmond at the beginning. And possibly the gameplay, although the content id system struggles with this. I didn't watch the video to see if you left cutscenes in, but they'll match too. In addition, Ubi can match against tags, like "assassin's creed 3" and claim that way.

Regardless. You don't have any copyright here apart from your voice. You can't argue this is a derivative or original work, since you're not creating anything beyond the commentary. The precise legalities of who owns emergent gameplay is a hotly contested area, but with big publishers like Ubi, Sony and Actvision trying to prove that it's still owned by them, you'll have a hard time beating them in court unless you can afford a team of hotshot lawyers, or persuade a big law firm to go pro bono for the publicity.

This is also why it's practically impossible to defend against people stealing your gameplay videos and stripping the audio. Neither of you own the copyright to the gameplay, even if youtube didn't content match it. Any court you try to take it to will ask if you actually own the copyright on the gameplay footage, and you can't prove this.

YouTube also require a letter from the copyright owner naming you specifically as having permission. Even with Minecraft videos, where the owner has posted in forums to say it's fine to upload stuff, people still struggle, because they're not named directly.

Anyway. It's a deeply complex area. I'm not about to suggest ways to sneak around the copyright. Bottom line, you don't have rights to do this. If others find ways around it, they probably shouldn't discuss it in public. Best to just suck it up.

abbitha7
11-22-2012, 06:03 AM
Odd. I use Youtube walkthroughs fairly often and they don't seem to be taken down.

Voncarstien161
11-22-2012, 05:23 PM
Thanks for your help, a lot to think about there.
I had done some prior research and some people had seemed to suggest that one way to go around this is to contact Ubisoft directly and ask for their permission, does this seem like a beneficial suggestion or just a waste of my time?
Also some people seemed to say that walkthroughs are okay because in Youtube's copyright laws it says it's okay to educate or entertain, but I don't want to upload more videos at the risk of my Youtube account being banned.
Quite a predicament I'm in.