PDA

View Full Version : Lockpicking

YamYam91
11-21-2012, 06:57 PM
PLEASE! Please for the love of god Ubisoft, fix the stinking controls for lockpicking in the PC version of Assassins Creed 3! I've just spent ten minutes trying to open a stinking chest! I can't be the only one that has a serious issue with this? I keep moving my mouse left and right (moving left or right, lifting mouse into starting position, moving left or right depending on past action, repeat) but when I get the first lock thing done (tension angle?) it all just comes apart, craps on me, and I have to repeat it several times just to move on. This is just &&#@*()@%*#@ stupid. I don't understand what went through your heads when you ported this crap over but when I have to pick a lock, whether its a door to continue the actual storyline or a chest to gain my loot, it breaks the mood and causes a lot of frustration. Again, I can't possibly be the only person who finds this annoying.

Yes, yes, I know. Go buy an Xbox controller - well unfortunately I've never had the need to buy one for any of the PC games I have played, but after playing this crap I'll most likely have to (though I do already possess a controller I need a wire for it, which will have to be purchased).

I just don't get why you couldn't have made it left click makes the pin move left, right click to move right.

Or am I just missing some sort of "Hold" key which sets the first pin and then I can easily move onto the next part?

Going to take another attempt now.

ChandlerUSMC
11-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Need to straighten your "axis" motion with your mouse. Takes some effort but you get used to it after a few chests. left or right- hear click, hold steady. up or down be sure not to move left or right, hold then clickclickclickclick until lock breaks.

BigWuu
11-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Even with controller it's bad, ignore all chests and you will be fine.

lynx_delta4
12-09-2012, 06:49 PM
I can't even see what I'm supposed to be doing; I just got the game, need to pick a locked door to progress the mission, and every time I try to start lock picking by pressing E the camera zooms in to the lock, what I believe to be a "how to" message flashes on the screen for a quarter of a second--certainly not long enough to actually read it, and then the lock pick sequence just ends. Since I got this game free through a promotional, I am NOT buying a controller just for this one game. :nonchalance:

SixKeys
12-09-2012, 07:15 PM
I can only imagine this to be a mouse issue on part of those who are having problems with it. I find lock-picking incredibly easy and never had any trouble with it. Just keep slowly moving your mouse from left to right (no need to go back and forth) until it gives you the prompt for the next step, then do the same on the up-down axis. If it doesn't work the first time, keep trying. It doesn't usually take me more than two or three tries.

BTW, you can ignore the clicking sounds. They probably serve some purpose when playing with a controller, but with a mouse there's no need to pay attention to them. I used to stop moving the mouse every time I heard a click but soon I realized it's much easier to just keep going until the prompt pops up.

lynx_delta4
12-11-2012, 04:42 AM
I can only imagine this to be a mouse issue on part of those who are having problems with it. I find lock-picking incredibly easy and never had any trouble with it. Just keep slowly moving your mouse from left to right (no need to go back and forth) until it gives you the prompt for the next step, then do the same on the up-down axis. If it doesn't work the first time, keep trying. It doesn't usually take me more than two or three tries.

BTW, you can ignore the clicking sounds. They probably serve some purpose when playing with a controller, but with a mouse there's no need to pay attention to them. I used to stop moving the mouse every time I heard a click but soon I realized it's much easier to just keep going until the prompt pops up.

Sadly, it's the prompts I'm not getting to even attempt picking a lock. I'll get something that flashes on the screen far faster than humanly possible to actually read once I press E on keyboard, to start the lock pick sequence, and then the sequence ends before I even get a chance to do anything. Moving the mouse around doesn't help, leaving the mouse still doesn't help, pressing various keys doesn't help. As stated before, I will not be purchasing a controller just to play this one game; which is unfortunate, as I was looking forward to playing through this segment of the AC story. It's a sad day in PC gaming when game developers try to force console controls on us PC gamers. :(

Sgohans3
12-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Even with controller it's bad, ignore all chests and you will be fine.Huh? I have zero issues with the Microsoft 360 controller for Windows and I open every chest. What controller are you using?

AntiChrist7
12-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Its indeed a lot better with controller. Still, it stays a pain sometimes

Damian_Adelle
12-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Huh? I have zero issues with the Microsoft 360 controller for Windows and I open every chest. What controller are you using?

I too have problems with the 360 controller, a little slip of my fingers and I have to restart all the god**** way, I must have practically chained my hands to the thumb grips to make it through, but it's way better than the PC controllers, and that's not all!, half of the times Connor/Hatham will use the lock picks on other part of the chest, going through the metal or wood lol, graphic bugs at 1000%

cmrggamer
12-11-2012, 01:52 PM
I personally find it easier on the PC (than with using my gamepad, I think my hand might be a little small).
When the little knob thing is first inserted, move your mouse left to right very slowly. Then, when you've got it right, he'll bring out the little stick-thing. Then, move the mouse slowly forward and backward without moving the mouse to the left or right. Then, when the two make a sort of V looking shape, start clicking the mouse buttons (but do not move the mouse) repeatedly until it opens!
Hope that helps, and good luck!

Omegatr0n
12-11-2012, 03:21 PM
Im playing with the xbox 360 remote controller for PC and I also need at least 3 tries before the lock is picked. It is really annyoing!

I dont know if you guys have played Batman Arkham City but in this game they have something similar to open doors. Only they didnt ask you to tap the right trigger (on controller) just move the L and R sticks (on xbox 360 controller) in the right postion and eventually it will open. This was much better lol.

greybeerd
01-30-2013, 01:35 PM
Just another bug left in the pc version. Get used to it. There are tons of them.

afborro
01-30-2013, 05:35 PM
Just another bug left in the pc version. Get used to it. There are tons of them.

I would not say it is a bug rather than a clunky and rahter unforgiving design. I use the x360 controller on PC and bar one lock I pretty much open on them with first attempt every time, but it is a very touchy and sensitive system. The lock I stuggled with was once when the right stick was pushed right near the outside and the left one to the far left, this is very uncomfortable and a large spread, especially if you hands are not that large I imagine this would be near impossible without a lot of strain for some.

If the design allowed for a bit more margin of movement, say for example the stick should perhaps stay in 1/8 or 1/16 of the intenfed circle, rather than what appears to be a couple of degrees or so when it decides you are no longer in position.

FWIW, my tips. it help to rest the controller on your lap, so give yourself as much support as possible to hold everything still and steady and rotate the sticks, once they are in situ, hold an press the sticks and keep them as still as possible while using right index finger to pull that right trigger, you do not have to pull the trigger too hard and fast, just in a rhythmical motion. Job done.

Razrback16
01-30-2013, 08:51 PM
I don't have any trouble with the XBOX 360 controller.

GalakFyarr
01-30-2013, 10:54 PM
I play on a laptop, and found that using the trackpad was easier too.

ShrimpOfDeath
03-18-2013, 09:43 AM
I have a different kind of problem. After I successfully go through all the stages the lock just snaps back into original position and the chest stays closed. Could anyone please tell me what's wrong?

Secu12
03-19-2013, 12:37 PM
I have a different kind of problem. After I successfully go through all the stages the lock just snaps back into original position and the chest stays closed. Could anyone please tell me what's wrong?

I have the same prroblem here. i am using an Xbox 360 Controller on a laptop. Very interested on how you solve this problem. Sometimes I try for even five minutes.

rrebe
03-19-2013, 12:52 PM
I think the lock picking is pretty easy once you get the idea (pc with a logitech controller)

LeCutter
03-19-2013, 10:57 PM
The left/right up/down thing isn't bad but the fact that you so much as twitch a micrometer while doing the stupid alternating mouse clicking buttons resets it is annoying as hell!

SixKeys
03-20-2013, 02:54 AM
The left/right up/down thing isn't bad but the fact that you so much as twitch a micrometer while doing the stupid alternating mouse clicking buttons resets it is annoying as hell!

You don't have to alternate the mouse buttons, you can just keep spamming the left-click button.