PDA

View Full Version : For those confused why the blue coats attack Connor....MINOR SPOILER.

StarzSuicide
11-21-2012, 01:15 AM
Connor doesn't have aside on the war, Clipper ( a recruit) at one time says.... " I Hate to see young boys forced to fight, I fight to be free, for all men to be free, if that means I am a patriot so be it." Connor replies with this so intense and true statement, "You are an assassin, nothing else!".

So yes Connor aids the Patriots, not for them, not for himself, but for freedom. While I agree the Patriots (blue coats) should be **** thankful Connor gave them the war. Face it, Connor won the war while the patriots played pocket hockey.

Connor like the others didn't choose to be an assassin but he accepts it and embraces it with remorse. This in my book makes Connor our most in depth assassin story yet.

The patriots are "allies" not your best friend they will attack if you are "in the wrong" for exanple they don't really like it if you plant five trip wire bombs and wait for the guard dog to smell you and coming running to you only to be blasted into millions of pieces.

jamgamerforever
11-21-2012, 01:24 AM
Why anyone is surprised that stabbing Patriots annoys other Patriots is beyond me :P

blacklimoband
11-21-2012, 02:50 AM
Why anyone is surprised that stabbing Patriots annoys other Patriots is beyond me :P

lol

zhengyingli
11-21-2012, 03:06 AM
You could've just posted in the existing thread

Anyway, the most compelling argument I saw was why would the blue coats attack Connor after gaining notoriety during a mission HELPING the blue coats.

EDIT:

I See why you have a separate thread. Sorry for being blunt.

Umbra_Blade
11-21-2012, 04:11 AM
I always found it funny when a patriot would kill a red coat and then literally a second after killing him go "who did this then?", then run over to me and start pushing me around. Me being the friendly neighbourhood assassin, I promptly take my tomohawk to his forehead :p

Baked_Cookies
11-21-2012, 04:36 AM
How do so many people not realize that even in the start of the game you can kinda tell that Connor does not have a side in the war and it would be obvious to be attacked by both sides. But I guess there is obvious things people over look in story lines.

joeyhayes
11-21-2012, 05:37 AM
Connor doesn't have aside on the war, Clipper ( a recruit) at one time says.... " I Hate to see young boys forced to fight, I fight to be free, for all men to be free, if that means I am a patriot so be it." Connor replies with this so intense and true statement, "You are an assassin, nothing else!".

So yes Connor aids the Patriots, not for them, not for himself, but for freedom. While I agree the Patriots (blue coats) should be **** thankful Connor gave them the war. Face it, Connor won the war while the patriots played pocket hockey.

Connor like the others didn't choose to be an assassin but he accepts it and embraces it with remorse. This in my book makes Connor our most in depth assassin story yet.

Sure, you can look at it that way. But the fact is that for a decent portion of the game, he does have a side. Connor IS working for/with the bluecoats, for whatever reason and despite what he might say/reasons he might give in a cutscene.

The patriots are "allies" not your best friend they will attack if you are "in the wrong" for exanple they don't really like it if you plant five trip wire bombs and wait for the guard dog to smell you and coming running to you only to be blasted into millions of pieces.

As I said in the other thread, no problem with the bluecoats throwing down if you're doing something to deserve it. Its the unproked bluecoat attacks due to notoriety gained helping achieve bluecoat aims that seems a bit off, as zhengyingli mentioned above.

In my case, I'd never even been near a non-mission bluecoat, much less killed one of them before they attacked. I'd just finished the mission where you deliver a message to a patriot leader warning of the reds advancing on Lexington. You're then given command of 3 groups of riflemen and have to ride between them as the reds advance, commanding them to fire at the best time to maximise enemy casualties. Completed the mission and straight afterwards was walking near a road about to do a spot of hunting, only to be attacked by a group of bluecoats due to notoriety gained during said mission.

Call me crazy but that seems a little weird.

How do so many people not realize that even in the start of the game you can kinda tell that Connor does not have a side in the war and it would be obvious to be attacked by both sides. But I guess there is obvious things people over look in story lines.

At the start of the story, sure. By sequence 6 or 7, he is clearly working with/for the bluecoats

BeCk41
11-21-2012, 05:42 AM
I never imagined that Connor would take sides. He's kind of a lone free ranger in everything, being alone and doing everything by himself. I haven't played the game yet, but would suspect that Connor would not have many allies given the situation he was in.

Auditore8
11-21-2012, 05:42 AM

Connor actually did choose to be an Assassin. Though Juno told him in his vision to seek out the Assassin's, he did it entirely by his own choice. He could've just returned home and ignored her, but his need for justice is what made him join the order.

zhengyingli
11-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Guys, Joey had a pretty valid point regarding this topic on the other thread:

1. You undertake missions to help the bluecoats
2. Your actions during successful completion of said missions raises your notoriety
3. You are then attacked by the bluecoats because of notoriety gained completing missions for the bluecoats

I'm all for them hunting me down for crimes, but not for raising a ruckus during a mission that was supposed to directly benefit them. This is far from a story issue when it's actually an issue with the notoriety system itself.

DemonLordSparda
11-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Guys, Joey had a pretty valid point regarding this topic on the other thread:

I'm all for them hunting me down for crimes, but not for raising a ruckus during a mission that was supposed to directly benefit them. This is far from a story issue when it's actually an issue with the notoriety system itself.

Well let me put it this way. The soldiers do not have hive minds. No one is going around saying don't attack this guy. There are wanted posters, and town criers, and print shops all putting out material that implicates him. Because lets face it you get notoriety for killing, which means you are dangerous. So honestly I never found it odd to have Patriots attack me between missions.

zhengyingli
11-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Well let me put it this way. The soldiers do not have hive minds. No one is going around saying don't attack this guy. There are wanted posters, and town criers, and print shops all putting out material that implicates him. Because lets face it you get notoriety for killing, which means you are dangerous. So honestly I never found it odd to have Patriots attack me between missions.
That's some creative thinking. I can definitely see red coats bribing the printers after being devastated by Connor and blue coats friends, and in turn influence unfamiliar blue coats. I can be EVEN MORE creative to counter your argument, but I think I'll stop here.

joeyhayes
11-22-2012, 01:56 AM

I'm guessing this is why it is the way it is. The redcoats need to attack you on sight and the bluecoats still need to attack you for random illegal actions ie. those performed while not helping them on a mission. I know nothing about coding, but I imagine it would be pretty hard to tweek the notoriety system so that it recognises the difference between notoriety-raising actions that assist the bluecoats and notoriety-raising actions that don't. You'd essentially need 2 notoriety systems, one for the reds and one for the blues - unworkable.

Personally, I would have just made the bluecoats non-highlightable characters (like all the townsfolk in Boston) that don't react to you even if you are notorious, at least until the section of the game where they and Connor no longer see eye to eye. But what do I know, maybe that would be ticky to do coding-wise too. And, from a game design point of view, I can also see why they jumped the other way and just mapped the bluecoat guards to the same notoriety system when not on-mission.

Death_Angel733
11-22-2012, 02:03 AM
Why not just keep the fort to ourselves instead of giving the keys to the Patriots?

He does not have a side.

So many things you can do with an empty Fort. Assassin party perhaps?