PDA

View Full Version : Advice re Assassins Creed 3 18 (UK) rating

parent001
11-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Hi. Could anyone let me know why this game has been given an 18 rating please? I think the previous games in the series were given lower age ratings. I have a 12 year old son who really wants this game for Christmas but I'm reluctant to buy it for him on account of the 18 rating. I've not allowed him to have 18 games before thinking he should wait till he's a few years older before he plays games of this rating. Any advice from anyone who's familiar with the game would be appreciated - I'm under pressure from my wife to give way! Thanks.

Paribissee
11-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Hi. Could anyone let me know why this game has been given an 18 rating please? I think the previous games in the series were given lower age ratings. I have a 12 year old son who really wants this game for Christmas but I'm reluctant to buy it for him on account of the 18 rating. I've not allowed him to have 18 games before thinking he should wait till he's a few years older before he plays games of this rating. Any advice from anyone who's familiar with the game would be appreciated - I'm under pressure from my wife to give way! Thanks.

Not sure mate but probably its 18 at leas here in Finland and its most likely the same where you at:(

nitres15
11-19-2012, 07:12 PM
it has blood and violence i guess ? I donīt think itīll be a problem unless your son has "issues". I think you should decide if heīs mature enough

ShrunkLawyer0
11-19-2012, 07:32 PM
if your looking at the uk rating then yes its a year higher the uk rating for m is 18 in the us its 17

kuled2012
11-19-2012, 07:36 PM
The only thing which slightly strikes me as 'disturbing' is the blood - which you have the option to turn off if you don't like it. Apart from that the game doesn't have anything that vulgar. There's hardly any swearing too - actually I don't think there is swearing at all in this game, so I don't think he'll pick up any bad words from it either. I can't remember anything which makes me think this game should be rated as an 18+ game to be honest.

MT4K
11-19-2012, 07:40 PM
The age rating difference from past games is due to them being changed and now using only the PEGI system.

Kaschra
11-19-2012, 07:44 PM
16 years here in Germany.

Well, I think it depends on how mature your son is. Maybe you could check out some playthroughs on Youtube and then decide if it's okay for your son.
I don't think it's more violent than the other Assassin's Creed games.

Gianavel
11-19-2012, 08:07 PM
It's for violence, which makes sense, because you're playing an Assassin. There's a little bit of swearing, as well. There's a mutlitude of videos on Youtube that show the level of violence in the game.

There's also the multiplayer to be considered. If you let your son play that, he could possibly run into people that like to swear into their microphones. I haven't yet, but it's always a possibility.

Side note: I'd like to say thank you for taking the time to investigate the game before letting your son play it. The world needs more parents like you.

BBALive
11-19-2012, 08:22 PM
There's quite a lot of blood and violence. You can see skinned animal carcasses as well.

A few of the main characters swear at certain points in the game.

parent001
11-20-2012, 06:56 AM
Thank you to everyone who replied and for the suggestions you made. I came across some information which suggested that the UK 18 rating might be due to games ratings now being undertaken by a different body in the UK than had been the case previously and their taking a stricter stance on games ratings. A worker in a local games shop suggested it could be down to who was doing the rating on that day!

Thanks in particular for the suggestion about multiplay. That is something I'll give some particular thought to. I've recently had to restrict my younger son (6) from making friends and playing with people from outside his school in the online world of Minecraft. We recently went through a phase where his behaviour/attitude went downhill after a period of interactions with - I think - players quite a bid older than himself. And his language became a bit more colourful too!

I haven't played any of the Assassins Creed games myself, and suppose in the ideal world I should. I think that as a few who have replied seem to be suggesting that the latest installment in the series is no more violent than any of the other games in the series then I will allow my son to get a nice surprise on Christmas Day - on this occasion! As my wife suggested, we can always present this as a one-off thing to him (his being allowed an 18 game) on the basis that it is only on account of his having been allowed to play the previous games in the series.

Thanks once again for your help with this.