PDA

View Full Version : Assassins Creed III release time on steam?

chizzy12
11-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Why do we have to wait until around 12PM-1PM EST instead of midnight?

Johny-Al-Knox
11-19-2012, 05:45 PM
You waited 3 weeks. Does it really bother u to wait few hours..?

DarthDeva
11-19-2012, 05:47 PM
Because of a little concept called Valve time...

chizzy12
11-19-2012, 05:48 PM
that didn't answer my question.

It just seems odd. Hitman Absolution comes out the same day, but it's ready to download at midnight.

and yes, it does bother me. i want to play

Because of a little concept called Valve time...

:/

Dellers
11-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Why do you think Steam is more expensive than other stores? Of course so that you can get the games later from them. Joking aside, release times on Steam seem to vary a lot. Hitman: Absolution gets released one hour after midnight here in Norway, while Assassin's Creed 3 and Far Cry 3 both are supposed to be 19 hours late - not coming out on Steam until 7 pm. Retail is still better in 2012, believe it or not!

DarthDeva
11-19-2012, 05:58 PM
I guess it's got to do with the time the steam servers reset. So a day on the steam servers is different from a day in our lives (Valve time)
In France launch is the 22nd, Steam launches it on the 22nd itself but at 7pm...go figure...

I totally agree with Dellers, retail is still better in 2012, steam is better in terms of prices during sales, but not for the launch of non-steam games. At least non-steamworks games you get early can be played right away, while for all steamworks games you've got to wait for it to officially be available on the store...

chizzy12
11-19-2012, 06:00 PM
I guess. Steam is just easier for me. I dont have a sata cable connected to my optical drive, so i stick to downloading my games.

oh well

DarthDeva
11-19-2012, 06:05 PM
At least do you get to preload AC3?

chizzy12
11-19-2012, 06:21 PM
no news on that yet. i hope so. its like 17gb

DarthDeva
11-19-2012, 06:27 PM
Yeah, kind of a hassle if there's no preloading, 17gb is quite a lot. Only Total War Series, Rage and a few other games can match that. I remember it took me like 4-5 hours to download like 15gb for Empire TW on Steam. Hope there a preloading at least. Plus there's the day-1 patch.
Enjoy your game tomorrow

chizzy12
11-19-2012, 06:37 PM
shanks

Solid-Snake-Eyes
11-19-2012, 06:40 PM
The patches are already built in, at least the ones that have been released on consoles.

DarthDeva
11-19-2012, 06:43 PM
There's a patch which was issued after the PC version was already sent for press apparently, so should be expecting at least one patch before playing.

Solid-Snake-Eyes
11-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Could be.

j0kay
11-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Come on!
The game is already leaked and downloadable, and we, who paid money are waiting for the PRELOAD.

Joyner08
11-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Come on!
The game is already leaked and downloadable, and we, who paid money are waiting for the PRELOAD.

Everything on steam is Valve's responsibility to manage, including pre-load times, ubisoft can't control that.

Can't even pre purchase the game from Steam in the UK. Same thing with Far Cry :(

j0kay
11-19-2012, 08:44 PM
Everything on steam is Valve's responsibility to manage, including pre-load times, ubisoft can't control that.The developer of Torchlight said that it is up the the publisher to decide when a preload starts.

Stiler
11-19-2012, 09:53 PM
Everything on steam is Valve's responsibility to manage, including pre-load times, ubisoft can't control that.

Can't even pre purchase the game from Steam in the UK. Same thing with Far Cry :(

That's simply not true.

The publisher (Ubisoft) has full control on when they want to release the game on steam.

If ubisoft wanted to they could tell valve to preload and release the game at midnight.

Persojet
11-19-2012, 10:06 PM
There's a patch which was issued after the PC version was already sent for press apparently, so should be expecting at least one patch before playing.

Start from here (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/718210-Why-Is-PC-Version-of-AC3-Delayed?p=8711392&viewfull=1#post8711392)

Dellers
11-19-2012, 10:30 PM
That's simply not true.

The publisher (Ubisoft) has full control on when they want to release the game on steam.

If ubisoft wanted to they could tell valve to preload and release the game at midnight.
I find it hard to believe that Ubisoft make special rules for Steam to follow, when every other store, digital or retail, is releasing it at midnight or first thing in the morning.

Stiler
11-19-2012, 10:56 PM
I find it hard to believe that Ubisoft make special rules for Steam to follow, when every other store, digital or retail, is releasing it at midnight or first thing in the morning.

What "special rules" are you talking about? The publisher has full control of their game release, not the store.

Steam usually by default releases the new games on the release date at 1pm est or so. Hoewver if a publisher wants they can (and many do) have steam unlock the game at midnight, like Hitman: Absolution is doing for example.

Physical stores can sell the game at midnight tonight, digital retailers can give out the keys at midnight, though Uplay (which you have to go through for this game) determines when it's released.

I'm not sure how Uplay works in terms of region times/unlocking, but uplay could just as well not let anyon eplay until tomorrow at the specified time they wish.

As long as Valve has the release files (which ubisoft has to provide them) Ubisoft could tell steam to release it at midnight and they would. However by default if they aren't they release the game at 1pm est on release date (that's when steam updates/releases things normally).

Dellers
11-19-2012, 11:14 PM
People claim that Ubi is responsible for the release time, and all the other sites I've checked say it's a midnight release. If so then they have chosen to let Steam be the last to release it, which means special Steam treatment in a negative way.
If, however, Steam is controlling it, then they aren't making a good name for themselves by usually releasing stuff later than all other stores.