PDA

View Full Version : The future of the franchise.

pirate1802
11-19-2012, 05:17 AM
I'm not talking about the turn the story would take, but the future of the IP itself, namely its annualization. I'd like to see what other fans think. Are you happy with the annualization of AC? As for me, I have loved all ACs till now. Some I've loved more than the others, but I never really hated or despised an AC game (the main games that is). I'll be honest and say that a part of me wants them to continue this trend. Afterall more AC games mean more awesomeness right? More time to spend in the world we adore, doing things we love. But at the same time, another part of me knows they can't continue like this for long without the eventual dip in quality. Some would argue that dip has already arrived; Brotherhood and Revelations were smaller games than two and three, both in story scope and content, obviously hampered by the smaller development cycle.

Yesterday I was looking at the pre-AC2 videos and articles. the hype and anticipation among fans was amazing, something I sorely miss these days because there's a new AC every year. There's less anticipation among fans. They know what they'll be getting. Look at the hype around GTA V I wish the next AC creates a similar frenzy. :'( Then again you have Hutchinson's comment (I think it was him if I'm not wrong) that the sale of the smaller titles (Brohood and Revs) allowed them to expand their budget for AC III, so if not for those, AC III would probably a lesser game than what we got. Without going into spoilers, I think it's safe to say seeing the ending that they plan on making more AC games in the future, and I'm perfectly fine with that, it is the pacing I'm more worried about. I personally would have them take a 1-2 year gap and return in 2014 or 2015 with a fresh AC, taking their time to think out the flaws that were in AC3 and eliminating them. Or are they planning on ending Connor's story with a Revs-type game and then take the break? Either way, if they indeed plan on churning out one next year our opinion here doesn't matter. One thing that gives me hope is they are selling the AC anthology, publishers generally do that when they are taking a break or are done with a series.

I liked CoD's singleplayer campaigns, have been playing them right since the CoD 1 days. But this year's CoD was the first one that didn't interest me. Something tells me if they put out an AC next year, my reaction to that would be similar. I've enjoyed all ACs and also AC III which I'm playing on my friend's xbox, but I'm very much worried about my favourite franchise's future, having seen enough brilliant IPs destroyed by the quest for moar money. Please don't let that happen Ubisoft, you're better than EA (appeal to emotions)
What are your thoughts? :D

PS: Please keep the spoilers away, I'd like this thread to stay in this section as it gets more visits. xD

StUbbZ24
11-19-2012, 05:27 AM
I'd want them to do what they did with Ezio. The main team works on AC4 while the lesser teams make something like Brotherhood for Connor.

Assassin_M
11-19-2012, 05:28 AM
To be Honest, I was one of the supporters of Yearly releases. and I used to think that everyone was over reacting, but all that changed when I saw the second GTA V trailer...It felt like something Godly...All the Internet was talking about it..Without a SINGLE DROP of self made Hype...All they had to do was release a trailer...Just one trailer and how much time was between the 2 trailers ? A YEAR. Full Calender Year and No inch of Hype was lost. As a matter of fact it increased.

Now I look at AC III, and It`s all self made Hype. It`s just Call of Duty or FIFA or PES or WWE games. It became regular. It`s sad really..That GTA V is this really big boss, while AC III was desperately trying the next tough guy..It worked for some time, but it just went away when GTA V was announced.

And to hear Rockstar`s Dan Houser speak about the Franchise My god.."We know our fans regularly expect Quality; We cannot go back on that" Once you hear it "Rockstar has ANNOUNCED" You just know it`s going to be AWESOME. No matter what. you`re sold DAY ONE. I was not sold day one on AC III, but I was for GTA V..

Farlander1991
11-19-2012, 05:31 AM
Maybe a Connor-game next year, but other than that, I tihnk there should be a break in the franchise. Normal annual development requires games to be developed simultaneously, which is not that good both from the game design point of view and story point of view. Story may get convoluted or contradictory, while design may be polished in different branches differently (i.e. something that was right in one 'branch' was underwhelming in another, and vice versa). There should be a moment when everything should stop, take a break, and refocus the franchise both from gameplay and story perspective, and continue on from there.

mazohystic
11-19-2012, 05:31 AM
Take a break now I think they just need a break anyway. They've been working on AC3 for a long time, and with Brotherhood and Revelations in between. Sometimes you just gotta take a step back and come back with a fresher mind. Those 1-2 years would be perfect to do that. I just hope nothing would happen in those 2 years, if they do decide to do that. If they lost interest and dropped AC entirely, I'd probably be really disappointed. "We're taking a break jk we don't like AC anymore." I think it's highly unlikely though. :P

daltonesque
11-19-2012, 05:37 AM
I'd like to see basically the same thing that happened before. Follow Connor through some inbetween times over the next couple years like with brotherhood and revelations then move on into AC 4 as the big project. I would literally cry a tear if they stopped making it.

vivaxardas
11-19-2012, 05:39 AM
Well, I want a new game next year, but without Connor. So I would have chosen 1 and 4 if I could.

daltonesque
11-19-2012, 05:41 AM
I could also stand to see a nearly all naval missions release to tide me over for a couple years. I lov playing a new one every year though.

kriegerdesgottes
11-19-2012, 05:49 AM
I personally think Ubisoft should gather two teams and have one work on a fairly large AC Connor episode for 2014 that would basically tell the rest of Connor's story and have the other team get started right now on a massive AC game for 2015 which would introduce a new character to the series. Then we get a much needed year break from the AC franchise and Ubisoft get to continue making AC on an almost yearly basis but only miss out on 2013.

shobhit7777777
11-19-2012, 05:50 AM
To be Honest, I was one of the supporters of Yearly releases. and I used to think that everyone was over reacting, but all that changed when I saw the second GTA V trailer...It felt like something Godly...All the Internet was talking about it..Without a SINGLE DROP of self made Hype...All they had to do was release a trailer...Just one trailer and how much time was between the 2 trailers ? A YEAR. Full Calender Year and No inch of Hype was lost. As a matter of fact it increased.

Now I look at AC III, and It`s all self made Hype. It`s just Call of Duty or FIFA or PES or WWE games. It became regular. It`s sad really..That GTA V is this really big boss, while AC III was desperately trying the next tough guy..It worked for some time, but it just went away when GTA V was announced.

And to hear Rockstar`s Dan Houser speak about the Franchise My god.."We know our fans regularly expect Quality; We cannot go back on that" Once you hear it "Rockstar has ANNOUNCED" You just know it`s going to be AWESOME. No matter what. you`re sold DAY ONE. I was not sold day one on AC III, but I was for GTA V..

Quoted for the mother****ing TRUTH!!!

Dear dev team, take a couple of years off, refresh yourselves...energise yourselves...and then get back on AC4

Assassin_M
11-19-2012, 06:04 AM
Quoted for the mother****ing TRUTH!!!

Dear dev team, take a couple of years off, refresh yourselves...energise yourselves...and then get back on AC4
Second time You and I agree eh ?:p

shobhit7777777
11-19-2012, 06:07 AM
Second time You and I agree eh ?:p

Dont get c0cky ;)

pirate1802
11-19-2012, 06:08 AM
I don't know much, so I'd like to know. Obviously AC is a big IP and a cash source for Ubisoft but are they so much dependent on it financially, that they can't help but churn out one every year to power themselves?

Assassin_M
11-19-2012, 06:09 AM
Dont get c0cky ;)
Was going to tell you the same thing:rolleyes:

BATISTABUS
11-19-2012, 06:32 AM
Finish up Connor's story, preferably in one more game, and then I wouldn't mind a break.

scooper121s
11-19-2012, 06:55 AM
Yearly; although with breaks every few years, where they could work on neglected series, I.E. Prince of persia

AssassinVenice
11-19-2012, 06:59 AM
UBI, just take a break. Let us play some Splinter Cell Blacklist, GTA V, Watch Dogs, and any other major games coming out for the next few years, and then emerge from the ashes, surprising the world with an innovative sequel, just like you did with ACII.

Take a break.

TwoDents
11-19-2012, 07:11 AM
They should take a break for awhile after they finish Connor's story. Seeing your favorite games pop up a few years after your last one, how much they have improved upon it, like GTAV (Honestly, I grew extremely tired of the franchise after GTAIV. The GTAV trailer didn't do anything for me) really gets you hyped up. Plus, doing yearly releases may have drop in quality. I'd rather not see that happen to Assassin's Creed, especially since Revelations, which is in my opinion the worst.

ProdiGurl
11-19-2012, 01:08 PM
I'm fine with yearly releases - maybe just do 2 of the same Protagonist instead of Trilogies. I know very little about game development, but I would think that
a 2nd game would save them alot of time, work and resources that could be put used towards the next launch of a fresh new AC direction ?

I wouldn't be happy if they decided to go longer than 2 years per release. :( 3 yrs or more is just way too long imo. Esp. when other game companies are able to make great games yearly.
I take into account that Ubi had 3 years in development of AC3 & still had this amount of bug/glitch issues.... so to me it's not so much a timing problem, it's another culprit.

Lastly, some disappointed fans are just disappointed in the direction it's taken, not that it takes 1 year or 3 years to make it. Time is not the issue if Ubi wants something they don't.
Imo this is what happened with Resident Evil - ever since RE4, they've taken the series in a different direction - more shooter/action oriented than eerie mystery & horror.

Another example, if you hate the new combat system/mechs, it won't matter if they wait 5 years to put out the next AC if they've decided they're sticking with the same combat system/mechs. You won't be happy w/ the next release if it came out 10 years later. Your preference wasn't catered to.
Devs have made many fan-based changes & additions that people are griping about. Alot of this has nothing to do w/ release dates, but directional choices they make according to fan input/feedback.
With all that said, yes I do love AC3 so far but I do see the issues it has as well (as I saw some in the Trilogy). I just don't know if yearly release is the real issue -
I'm fine if they did staggered releases... games that take more time, go ahead & take another year or year &a1/2... I'll anxiously wait :)

Silhouelle
11-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Finish Connor's story with a second game on 360/PS3 and then work on AC4 for next gen consoles for longer than a year. The devs will need time to figure out the new systems anyway.