PDA

View Full Version : [spoilers] What is it with current developers and them making Very Bad endings?

HisShadowX
11-14-2012, 09:32 AM
Did they all see the final episode of The Sopranos and decide 'hey let's keep this trending going?'

Charles_Phipps
11-14-2012, 09:38 AM
There's a difference between ACIII and Mass Effect 3.

Here, I think the ending at least had our hero make a conscientious choice that made sense given his moral principles.

Gianavel
11-14-2012, 09:38 AM
I liked the ending of the Sopranos - though I can understand why some folks wouldn't.

Charles_Phipps
11-14-2012, 09:39 AM
I liked the ending of the Sopranos - though I can understand why some folks wouldn't.

I think a lot of people failed to realize Tony Soprano dying is almost inevitable as long as he's a mobster.

They wanted him to live and get off scott free despite the fact it's a terrible lifestyle.

pirate1802
11-14-2012, 09:43 AM
IMO the ending of AC III wasn't BAD, so I wouldn't know the answer to your question.

scooper121s
11-14-2012, 09:48 AM
what the hell Sopranos

zhengyingli
11-14-2012, 09:49 AM
Even though the presentation was kind of weak, I think you should concentrate on the more interesting aspect of the ending. SPOILER............Desmond made a choice closer to what a Templar would've made.

MAX_III
11-14-2012, 10:00 AM
LOL lOL you mean to tell me you actually got to the end, I am about to box it up and trade it in, The ship, trading, the hunting, trapping, is just Brill. But Icant get past the 60 second escape from a burning room. How pathetic, Bloody silly game, Oh I know lets put in a beat the clock, that should bring the story line to a stop... If I had a cat it would of got a kicking last night.. went to bed with the hump..

BBALive
11-14-2012, 10:12 AM
The ending of the Sopranos wasn't bad. Great scene.

HisShadowX
11-14-2012, 11:46 PM
LOL lOL you mean to tell me you actually got to the end, I am about to box it up and trade it in, The ship, trading, the hunting, trapping, is just Brill. But Icant get past the 60 second escape from a burning room. How pathetic, Bloody silly game, Oh I know lets put in a beat the clock, that should bring the story line to a stop... If I had a cat it would of got a kicking last night.. went to bed with the hump..

Yeah a lot of the controls are off way worse then last time but I go through it. Sometimes there is nothing there and there was an wall that could not be seen lol

Well you didnt miss much

RatonhnhakeFan
11-14-2012, 11:58 PM
IMO the ending of AC III wasn't BAD, so I wouldn't know the answer to your question.It wasn't the worst thing ever, but it was very weak. For a conclusion to a protagonist's story, it lacked scope, presentation, emotion and the blatant "SEQUEL!!!" cliffhanger at the end of what was supposed to be a conclusion to a major arc in AC universe was just lol

IlDiv0
11-15-2012, 12:26 AM
It's simple, OP: writers spending so much time on side conflicts that they don't have any opportunity to actually write a believable solution to the problem.

Magic buttons which exist to save the world at the last second don't generally-speaking make for good endings. Of course, I might have forgiven this if it at least felt like the writers cared about Desmond's fate. No dialogue from Shaun or Rebecca? Really?

pirate1802
11-15-2012, 03:57 AM
It wasn't the worst thing ever, but it was very weak. For a conclusion to a protagonist's story, it lacked scope, presentation, emotion and the blatant "SEQUEL!!!" cliffhanger at the end of what was supposed to be a conclusion to a major arc in AC universe was just lol

You are absolutely correct. I didn't say it was the BEST ending either. IMO it was pretty meh. The underlying idea was good but the execution was not.

yoshiyukily
11-15-2012, 04:59 AM
There was no ending. The game just STOPPED. I got all the symbolism, the cliche plot twists at the very end, whatever whatever. Fine. That does not excuse the horrendous presentation.

De Filosoof
11-15-2012, 09:31 AM
You are absolutely correct. I didn't say it was the BEST ending either. IMO it was pretty meh. The underlying idea was good but the execution was not.

Even the underlying idea was very bad.

It's such cheesy and weak storywriting to make Juno the antagonist.
You would think that such intelligent beings would have learned from their previous mistakes.
That they had a far more intelligent and spiritual goal with saving the earth.
But no, they turned it in just another "aliens are evil" storyline...

Very lame indeed.

scooper121s
11-15-2012, 09:35 AM

You would think that such intelligent beings would have learned from their previous mistakes.

Very lame indeed.
The precursers are not 'humans' definition of aliens

pirate1802
11-15-2012, 10:37 AM

Very lame indeed.

I didn't know TWCB were aliens..
Also, were all TWCB evil?
And lastly, I don't see what intelligence has got to do with it. Humans were once their slaves, Juno manipulated the events to make sure we become their slaves again. Its a power struggle, intelligence has nothing to do with it. If my computer rebelled and ran away hell I would be seeking opportunities to repress it again, rather than be friends with it. You assume intelligent beings are automatically peaceful, when it is not necessarily always so. Intelligent beings would learn from their past mistakes, correct. But even more intelligent people would look to correct those past mistakes.

Look, I respect your opinion that it was all very bad but disagree with it. For me it was a good twist, and I somewhat expected it, and am glad that TWCB people have a bigger role in the picture now.

zhengyingli
11-15-2012, 10:48 AM
If my computer rebelled and ran away hell I would be seeking opportunities to repress it again, rather than be friends with it. .

You have my respect for coming up with such an outrageous sentence. Great comparison, too.

BigUrn
11-15-2012, 11:38 AM
I think its perception. When I first saw it I thought it was stupid I also thought all the other games endings where stupid until I went back and actually followed the storyline. Its like any other movie or book or game sometimes you miss key plot points that actually give other parts their relevance. To get some more light on the ending I had to go back a few games and brush up on the story. Overall I like the ending.

IlDiv0
11-15-2012, 01:23 PM
There was no ending. The game just STOPPED. I got all the symbolism, the cliche plot twists at the very end, whatever whatever. Fine. That does not excuse the horrendous presentation.

I think this really captures it best. Great line.

dchil279
11-15-2012, 11:31 PM
Ever since Patrice Desilets left Ubi the modern day story has been taking a turn for the worse and the endings with them.

LilyasAvalon
11-16-2012, 02:41 PM
I didn't think AC3's ending was bad, just could've been executed better.

That being said, I personally think bad endings have to do with time constraints and money personally. That's what seemed to be the general case with ME3 and DA2 anyway.

Calamityx51
11-16-2012, 08:54 PM
It does lead me to wonder if a lot of writers leave the ending for last and then have to scramble for something afterwards. I'm a member of BSN so I saw all the mess that happened after the original ME3 endings, and yeah while I wasn't as vocal as many of them, I wasn't happy with it either. There's been rumblings that two of the writers locked the other team out of ending discussions and if that is true (I don't know if I believe it myself), I can clearly understand the dip in quality compared to some of the finer points not only in ME3 but the rest of the series as well. Mind you the expanded endings did make me a fair bit less frustrated so that was nice at least.

As for AC3's ending... I like it in principle but like others have said, the lack of emotion kind of throws me off. Rebecca and Shaun saying nothing just really got to me. I'm interested in seeing where they go with this though. I'll admit I was never really fond of Desmond. I started caring about him in ACB when he got some proper time in and would probably care more if I didn't dislike the Desmond's Journey sections of ACR so much (they aren't my particular play style so I didn't pay them much mind). I wasn't very keen on his AC3 parts either because they felt kind of lacking to me. I haven't read the comics so Cross hasn't been quite as built up for me but even what was said in the game made it feel like his end was rather lack luster.

So all-in-all I found AC3's ending fascinating, but it definitely had some issues for sure.

WiriestScroll3
11-16-2012, 10:33 PM
I hope next ACIII endings will be good :)

PurpleHaze1980
11-17-2012, 03:16 AM
I think this was the worst ending out of all of the games. Not only was the storyline just a major 'wth' moment for me (especially Desmond's side), but the boss fights and chases were basically effortless (even with the worst controls I've experienced throughout the entire series). The only challenging part of the game is trying to get the 100 synch with every mission (and that's made more difficult by having up to 3 different goals at once to get right).

The final boss fight here was so...anti-climatic for me. Very little challenge. That just hurt the ending entirely for me so much.

Zrvan
11-17-2012, 04:03 AM
I don't know whether to thank some anthropomorphic manifestation of Ubisoft, or punch it right in it's face.

They did what they set out to do -- innovate the AC formula -- but it didn't work. AC3 wasn't fun to me -- I constantly felt like the game was judging me and notifying me that I suck as an Assassin's Creed fan.

The story is probably the worst part -- Connor had some promise, but we play all the wrong parts of his story. I feel like a lot of the story relies on 'You played all the other games, so you know what's up' rather than reintroducing us to familiar concepts. Here is Templars who hurt you, kill they ***. And learn shipping, both overland and nautical.

I'm kind of amused that finally killing Hannibal Leecter at the end involves following him to a bar in the woods and shanking him. But that's just a wink compared to everything that follows, where we see Desmond go 'A-ha!' run to some grave, then come back and receive a literal deus ex machina that requires that he 'sacrifice' himself? WTF? Then magical green light saves us all? Mass Effect much?

I spent this entire game going 'That's it?' at everything. If ever there was game in need of an extended cut, it's AC3.

twenty_glyphs
11-17-2012, 08:14 AM
@Zrvan: I feel the same way. "That's it?" was my reaction to much of the game. That's how I felt about every major story moment in the past and present, and also all of the historical characters. It just kept feeling like pieces were missing, and all of these important characters and events just fell really flat for me. I was hyped for this game, but not expecting the moon. I did expect conclusion to the story and to see at least the same level of quality as past stories, and the game failed on both levels for me.

Something just occurred to me about how unsatisfying the ending was. Each main AC game (AC1, 2 and 3) has ended with the revelation of a new threat for the story. AC1 ended with the clues to figure out Abstergo was going to launch this mind control satellite and usher in their New World Order. Once you come to terms with that, AC2 ends with the revelation that a solar flare is coming to end most life on the planet on the same date. At this point I was very intrigued and looking forward to seeing how those two major threats came together in AC3. Then AC3's ending comes along and almost casually dismisses the two previous story conflicts that had been driving the whole series toward some kind of resolution so it can introduce the real threat of Juno. It's just one twist too many and feels so artificial — designed solely for the sake of having a plot twist. It's just impossible for me to stay engaged and continue to care about the story when it keeps upping the ante with its main story conflicts and pulling the rug out from under us at each ending. All of that without getting satisfying resolution to the conflicts already introduced.

I keep thnkng about the classic stories that people love, and they all seem to I introduce the central conflict early on and then stick to it. Twists along the way may reveal a bigger conflict of some sort, but it's usually related. Or maybe the twist is how we perceive the conflict, or what the conflict means for the hero. Darth Vader is introduced in the first 5 minutes of Star Wars and even though we later find out about the Emperor, the story still sees us through to Vader's defeat first and foremost. The Lord of the Rings introduces the Ring as the conflict right away and then sees that quest through to its conclusion. Assassin's Creed is just all over the place when it comes to its central conflict, and has failed to truly resolve any of the story conflicts soo far.