PDA

View Full Version : [SPOILER] AC3: What would YOU do?

mazohystic
11-14-2012, 02:19 AM
I didn't see any thread like this, sorry if this has been made already.

I'm actually really curious. If YOU were given the choice, which one would you make? I'm not talking about in the context of game, or what would make the ending more satisfying as you as a gamer, or what would be good storytelling... What would YOU do? And let's just say that Assassins and Templars do indeed exist.

To be honest, I'd let the apocalyptic-like event happen. There has always mass extinctions in the Earth's history and we're, quite frankly, overdue for one. Why prevent something that would eventually happen anyway? Something that should happen? Not too sure if I really buy the whole overpopulation idea but I really think humanity should anew. Or maybe just cease to exist entirely. Would the world be better off without us or would something even "worse" replace us? I don't know, but I'd just like to let nature run it's course.

As for the other option, letting a crazy advanced god-like figure into the world just... I don't know, I don't like the sound of it. Sure, billions are saved but is it worth it? Maybe Juno would just kill us all in the end anyway. I still don't like the idea of it.

But if you think about it, either way, we become mindless sheeps. Sheeps to religion or sheeps to Juno. Not everyone of course, but a good chunk of us. But would the Templars and/or Assassins be enough to break either of them?

Enough of my babbling, I'm itching to hear what you guys have to say about it!

vivaxardas
11-14-2012, 02:34 AM
Well, for me there is nothing to choose - to let everybody die RIGHT HERE AND NOW, billions of real living people, or to let all of them survive, but with some bad POSSIBILITY in the future. I made it my principle - not to kill real people now just because if they live, something bad MIGHT happen in the future. Future will take care of itself, it is not something I am most responsible for. My responsibility to the present takes precedence here.
But there is a different choice here, more personal. More problem for me is that I'll have to die in order to save humankind, or I'll be one of the survivors, and eventually become a god for future generations. I am no hero, you know. So theoretically I am all for #2 as long as it is Desmond, and not me, who flips the switch, so to speak. But practically, the long life and this god thing is kind of appealing... ;)

pirate1802
11-14-2012, 03:21 AM
Why prevent something that would eventually happen anyway? Something that should happen?

That's like saying Assassins should let innocents die because they're going to die eventually. :D Me personally? I'd do exactly what Desmond did. I'd finish my job. It doesn't matter if it would release Juno. Better to have an Earth full of people to combat her, than let everyone die just so that my enemy can't control them. We've broken off the TWCB people's influence before. Back then they were numerous, and had all the PoEs. Now, there is only one of them (that we know of as of now) and she has one (maybe?) PoE. We can do it. No need to let everyone die. Either way, the surviving people will eventually subjected to tyranny (of Desmond's followers). So in the long run that sacrifice would be wasted too.

Also,

Altair: There were some.. complications.
Al-Mualim: Isn't there always? It is our task to adjust.

That's what Desmond did. Adjust to the changing situation... not say f**k this s**t and ragequit. :P

Turul.
11-14-2012, 04:53 AM
Knowing the world has a chance in defeating juno (they did it before)

i would save it.

though the world has its many problems, there is much good in it...and its not like a new future would result differently. man would still use wisdom and turn it on eachother.

mazohystic
11-14-2012, 05:57 AM
Drat, I'm such a pessimist compared to all of you (so far), haha. It's a relief to see more people who are more hopeful and logical than I. I understand all of your points and somewhat agree with most of them, actually.

I didn't really consider Juno too much in my decision making, my mind was pretty much made up. Now that I've thought about it more, what would happen after Juno is (most likely) defeated? Would it be an event that would unite all of humanity forever or is that too optimistic? Would everything just go back to being what it is? The cycle would probably start all over again. It would be nice for a while, but I'm sure things would go bad soon. The more I mull over it, I think the outcomes of both would be eventually the same. Just the sacrifice for one is greater and a bit wasted (I think that's what pirate1802 was trying to get at?).

Still mostly betting on the human race becoming extinct. I make it sound like I hate humanity, haha. Although I'm finding myself being swayed by all of your words.

pirate1802
11-14-2012, 06:53 AM
Yes. In both the cases, the eventual outcome would nearabout be the same. So It is either tyranny of Juno or tyranny of (insert new religion) in the new world, with 99% people dead. Not a good bargain IMO.

Coming to think of it, AC paints a very bleak picture of humanity. That there will always be tyrants, people will always squabble with each other without seeing the bigger picture. I feel for those Assassin guys, trying to bring order among an inherently chaotic species.. :/

zhengyingli
11-14-2012, 10:27 AM
I'd choose what Desmond did. Regardless of which side I believe in, I'm not the type of guy who would remain sane if I neglect to save billions of lives when I could've easily done so. Besides, when us humans are alive in great numbers, there's always a chance to beat back Juno.

Charles_Phipps
11-14-2012, 10:35 AM
I think the idea of killing 6.5 billion people to defeat the Templars is the dumbest thing ever, no offense to the people who'd choose it.

LilyasAvalon
11-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Yes. In both the cases, the eventual outcome would nearabout be the same. So It is either tyranny of Juno or tyranny of (insert new religion) in the new world, with 99% people dead. Not a good bargain IMO.

Coming to think of it, AC paints a very bleak picture of humanity. That there will always be tyrants, people will always squabble with each other without seeing the bigger picture. I feel for those Assassin guys, trying to bring order among an inherently chaotic species.. :/

Haytham made that point while fighting Connor, didn't he? Where humanity exists, so will the templar attempting to seek 'order'. And the assassins, attempting to seek 'peace'.

That's why I would've released Juno. There will ALWAYS be people who will disagree, who will rise up and stand for themselves. Now, whether they win or not.....

LilyasAvalon
11-14-2012, 12:07 PM
... Out of curiousity, how WOULD Juno have retaken over the world? I mean, in the First Civ, she had all her other 'Gods' and the pieces of Eden but right now, there's only one of her and no pieces of Eden she can use.

Charles_Phipps
11-14-2012, 12:46 PM
... Out of curiousity, how WOULD Juno have retaken over the world? I mean, in the First Civ, she had all her other 'Gods' and the pieces of Eden but right now, there's only one of her and no pieces of Eden she can use.

Well she's smart enough to build a machine that can stop the solar flares when no one else could.

So, obviously, she's got tech on her side.

Really, since Abstergo is pure evil (unlike the Templars) I'd argue they'd happily let her take over.

pirate1802
11-14-2012, 12:56 PM

Heh. thats why I say its gonna be harder for her (or the) to take control this time around.

LilyasAvalon
11-14-2012, 01:37 PM
Well she's smart enough to build a machine that can stop the solar flares when no one else could.

So, obviously, she's got tech on her side.

Really, since Abstergo is pure evil (unlike the Templars) I'd argue they'd happily let her take over.
...I thought the implications was that it was built by all three of them, but she was either the one who finished it or it couldn't have been used because she was sealed in it.

mazohystic
11-14-2012, 03:54 PM
I think the idea of killing 6.5 billion people to defeat the Templars is the dumbest thing ever, no offense to the people who'd choose it.

Well I didn't choose it to "defeat the Templars." Mostly because it's a cycle that the Earth has gone through multiple times. Just like how there will always be conflict among humans. It's just the way nature works. Civiliations rise and fall. Large amounts of species become extinct at one time and the Earth heals itself with time. It happens.

But I do understand how pretty much everyone feels uneasy about having the choice to let it happen or not. Like you said, it is killing billions of people, after all. If I actually did it, I probably wouldn't do so with good conscience. Everyone has friends and family and people they care for and they'd all be gone. If I also had the choice, I'd die with everyone else too. I don't care about the long life or becoming a god to future generations.

EDIT: And like I've said before, I'm not exactly putting Juno too much into the equation here. I've been biased since the beginning. And I'm slowly kinda changing my mind. I don't know, I'm conflicted??

zhengyingli
11-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Well I didn't choose it to "defeat the Templars." Mostly because it's a cycle that the Earth has gone through multiple times. Just like how there will always be conflict among humans. It's just the way nature works. Civiliations rise and fall. Large amounts of species become extinct at one time and the Earth heals itself with time. It happens.

Not to be offensive, but you sound like a Reaper, lol. Don't get me wrong, I can see why it would make sense to make the other choice.

jamgamerforever
11-14-2012, 09:01 PM
I'd let Juno free. As Desmond says, there's no hope in the other option. Not only would I be allowing billions to die, but I'd also be the catalyst for further millions of deaths in religious wars. AND THEN, there'd likely be a third solar flare at some point, so possibly everybody dies again without the Grand Temple's towers.

Juno is something we can stop. We can fight her.

mazohystic
11-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Not to be offensive, but you sound like a Reaper, lol. Don't get me wrong, I can see why it would make sense to make the other choice.

None taken and yeah, I get what you mean. But what is a Reaper? If it's a reference to a video game, you should know that I am generally uneducated in this realm of media.

And I'm getting off-topic. Anyone voting for the first option? I'm not at all surprised that most of you picked the second option but darn, I didn't think I'd be the only one plus another one. :L

jamgamerforever
11-14-2012, 09:27 PM
None taken and yeah, I get what you mean. But what is a Reaper? If it's a reference to a video game, you should know that I am generally uneducated in this realm of media.

And I'm getting off-topic. Anyone voting for the first option? I'm not at all surprised that most of you picked the second option but darn, I didn't think I'd be the only one plus another one. :L

The Reapers are a fictional race from the Mass Effect series of games. They maintain a Cycle every 50,000 years that allows civilization to grow and prosper, then wipe it out.

I wonder if more people are swayed to the second option because Desmond himself picks it?

LilyasAvalon
11-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Nah, if Desmond had allowed billions to die over the POSSIBILITY Juno MAY take over again, I'd call him a *****. Better to be enslaved then dead, yes?

mazohystic
11-18-2012, 06:33 AM
I wonder if more people are swayed to the second option because Desmond himself picks it?

I do sound like a reaper. Oops. And nah, it's because it's the more logical choice. Been thinking about it more and consider myself on that side now.

pirate1802
11-18-2012, 06:38 AM
Nah, if Desmond had allowed billions to die over the POSSIBILITY Juno MAY take over again, I'd call him a *****. Better to be enslaved then dead, yes?

Agreed. And now I sound like a Templar.. xD