PDA

View Full Version : The Giant and the Storm

Sanguis Dominus
11-12-2012, 02:00 PM
This mission is stupid, the mission's easy enough but destroy all 3 ships by hitting the powder kegs?

Seriously?

How the **** are we supposed to do this?

40-50 odd tries later and the most I've managed is 2.

Ubisoft, fix it so it's harder to sink the ships and easier to expose the powder. his isn't fun anymore, or AT LEAST put a checkpoint after destroying the other 5 smaller ships so I don't have to do that EVERY SINGLE ********* TIME.

This mission is beyond broken.

Ubisoft logic: "If the player has upgraded his battering ram let's make this mission impossible for them!"

AdrianJacek
11-12-2012, 02:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoS-o1Fro9o

Sanguis Dominus
11-12-2012, 02:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoS-o1Fro9o

And you think I haven't already checked YT?

No matter what I do, I've done what this video suggests some 20 odd times but they always sink.

I've side scraped them, I've tried just using the swivel cannons, I've disabled them with chainshot, I've tried only using grape shot.

Absolutely nothing I do works, this mission is simply broken.

straty88
11-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Use round shot on the front of the ship, when you disable it with chain shot. That's how I did it anyway. :)

It's not broken as I did it on both my playthroughs.

Serrachio
11-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Chainshot to wreck the masts, use the Naval Ram if you've purchased it to ram into the bow of the ship (the side near to the front).

That should expose the gunpowder store, which you can fire on with the swivel gun to take out the 3 ships.

Sanguis Dominus
11-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Chainshot to wreck the masts, use the Naval Ram if you've purchased it to ram into the bow of the ship (the side near to the front).

That should expose the gunpowder store, which you can fire on with the swivel gun to take out the 3 ships.

Except that doesn't work if you've upgraded the ram.

It destroys the smaller ships in 1 hit, even when slightly knocking into it at full stop.

This mission is so r*tarded.

Rogue-Eaglet
11-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Navigate the Aquila so it rams face-to-face with the other ship on full sail. Change to half sail to start turning away from the ship and the white circle indicating the powder kegs will appear. Rinse and repeat for the other two frigates.

Oh and it works with the upgraded ram. In fact, it's best you have said upgrade to begin with and the hull reinforcement is also a good idea as it gives you more health. Seriously I did it with the Aquila upgraded to the max.

Blind2Society
11-12-2012, 08:50 PM
That mission was the biggest pain in the arse. I didn't have the ram but I used the chain shot > ram the bow method. Took me 2 days of attempts.

Chocoburger
11-12-2012, 09:21 PM
I have fully upgraded Aquilla and it does indeed work, but it is very finnicky, it takes a few tries. I think it took me like 10 tries to finally weaken them up enough without actually destroying them. It is possible so don't give up, it may take an hour or two like me though.

JCearlyyears
11-12-2012, 09:35 PM
I GOT THIS LAST NIGHT! Crap! It is so hard! I rammed the man of war in the front after killing the 5 ships, (when ramming doesn't expose the powder, although it can, and if it doesn't, then ramming barely did any damage, it either barely hurts or it really hurts) I would turn and shoot the front with the fire shot(which does a lot of damage), then I went after the other ships once I beat the man of war. I got into a position where their front was facing my side, then I blasted them with the round shot, it doesn't work every time and you'll often sink the ships, but it's the same with any method.

ForsakEnd
11-13-2012, 01:56 AM
Glad Im done with mission's optional objective, after the billionth time luck was on my side as soon as I destroyed the first ship the other two decided to ram each other next to it exposing their powder kegs.:cool::D

StUbbZ24
11-13-2012, 02:10 AM
Ramming it is too risky. I go chain shot on all three ships first. Then I drop the anchor and slowly fire round shots at the front of the ships without charging them at all. I got it first try once I tried that method.

the_atm
11-13-2012, 02:23 AM
I prefer to not go for the full synch at first, ruins the game, after wards when I feel upto it i go for the full synch, but I have no idea what to do, the navy missions in general sucked because... they weren't what Ubisoft promised. Didn't they say navy freeroam? they said the weather would change, i waited in a mission for 5 minutes and nothing changed at all! I mean it's fun, for the 2 hours they all last...

blacklimoband
11-13-2012, 02:43 AM
The thing that really annoyed me with this mission was the ramming thing... particularly the Man-o-war... hit it at full sail and my ship ricochets off it like a pebble off a windscreen.... just brush it with the ram and BOOM!!!!! wtf? If they're going to put these ridiculous constraints in, they could provide a means to fulfill them sensibly, such as armor piercing shot to expose the powder kegs? I mean, why not? We have grape shot for shredding smaller ships, incendiary shot for bigger ships, chain shot for disabling...

oh, and couldn't resist:

full synch ruins the game

Fixed :)

NekoKera
11-13-2012, 03:35 AM
This mission drove me insane for days as well since I had already upgraded the Aquilla, but what I had managed to do was eventually complete the optional objective, and did so without firing on the Man-of-Wars until the powdered keg shot. What I would do is charge at them with a Full Sail and as we were about 5-6 seconds before colliding, switched quickly to Half Sail, made a 90 degree turn while staying in front of the Man-of-War's path, then switching to a Full Stop once the turn is complete. After being completely stopped, let the Man-of-War collide into Aquilla and it should severely damage the front of the enemy ship (make sure you have a reinforced hull or else you will take damage as well), revealing the powdered kegs. Some people report that charging and colliding head-on with a Full Sail tact works as well, but I found that this can be risky since the ship can turn at the last second, basically resulting in a watery game of chicken. By Full Stopping in front of the ships, either they would hit or miss; however, in this instance, if they do miss hitting you, instead of still colliding in a Full Sail and destroying the ship and objective, you still have another chance to line up the collision.

Rocket Queen 81
11-30-2012, 05:24 AM
I just used chain shot to disable all 3 ships then switched to grape shot to expose the gunpowder storage, grape shot is not an overly powerful shot but 3 or 4 carefully aimed shots at the front 1/4 of the enemy ship exposes it, I tried it on a whim and it worked 1st time around. just be sure you are sitting at an angle to the enemy ship so you are out of bow/broadside canon fire, when you fire your grape shot at FULL STOP put a little bit of the edge of the blasting line across the enemy bow, and like I said 2-3 shots on the smaller ships should expose the gunpowder, 4 or 5 on the man-o-war. Try it, it beats ramming the ships and potentially sinking them, but chain shot is a must to immobilize them, sit at an angle to them and grape shot the front 1/4, gunpowder exposed!!!!!

montagemik
11-30-2012, 05:35 AM
Ramming it is too risky. I go chain shot on all three ships first. Then I drop the anchor and slowly fire round shots at the front of the ships without charging them at all. I got it first try once I tried that method.

^^^^^ THIS is your solution guys - Exactly how i did it weeks ago With a fully upgraded ship . Apart from Rogue waves - it's not much of a hassle.

kriegerdesgottes
11-30-2012, 07:09 AM
I have tried this mission a thousand times. I literally have EVERYTHING in the game game and every single trophy except for this ONE mission and I can't get it. I've tried all the youtube tutorials too and they don't work.

montagemik
11-30-2012, 07:47 AM
Then i refer you to the post above yours .........THAT method works ,

kriegerdesgottes
11-30-2012, 04:45 PM
Then i refer you to the post above yours .........THAT method works ,

Tried this method today and after three or four do overs, I finally got it!! Thanks! you may not get it first try this way but it's only way I got it to work. Now I'm 100% synched. :D

UBOSOFT-Gamer
01-27-2013, 04:20 PM
holy ****. i like the navals missions beside this. hopefully the rest arent as tricky as this one.