PDA

View Full Version : [Spoilers] Assassin's Creed 3 has killed the franchise for me

TiaraBlade
11-12-2012, 02:21 AM
I tried, I really did. I even liked some of the story, including the Connor/Haytham relationship which was woefully underdone.

In the end though, AC3 is broken. Heck, it's so broken that it has even extended to my PS3 controller and the control port it attached to. After restarting the Lee chase for the 10th time, you know the one where one soldier knocking you down even though Lee is the guy blowing up barrels, causes Lee to get too far away, as if 50 meters is somehow unrecoverable? Made it a bit further twice but Connor kept jumping where he wasn't supposed to as the camera swung wildly and I had to restart again.

This was not an isolated event (restarting that is, not the damage to my controller). I have had to restart many missions because the game refuses to let me do simple things like do a ledge assassination or, even though I have time to chase down a patriot messenger, he still gets to deliver his message because the game refuses to let me aim at him. And then there are the many, many times that walking a cm too close to a check post has 20 redcoats swarming me.

That's it, I'm done. They tried so hard to make the game BIG that they failed to make it GOOD. Between the bugs and terrible controls (often refusing to register my attacks as I tap the square button or refusing to let me target someone in melee who is RIGHT next to me, this game is a disgrace to the AC franchise.

I know some of the fangirls and fanboys will just crow that I suck. Well if I suck so bad, how did I do so well in AC2, AC Brotherhood, and AC Revelations? Did my skills just die? Umm.. no.

Ubisoft owes me a new controller and repairs for my PS3 for its failure to adequately playtest this abomination. I don't expect them to do the right thing though but that's ok, I'll just turn my back on AC as the development team turned its back on the fans. Ubisoft should be ashamed of itself. I don't mind hard games, heck I loved the tough but FAIR X Com: Enemy Unknown. That's a game that isn't broken like AC3.

So, good job Ubisoft on killing a franchise. That's hard to do with AC but you did it. Congrats!

David.Owl
11-12-2012, 02:28 AM
I don't like the graphics really i think they were better in brotherhood

zhengyingli
11-12-2012, 02:37 AM
I know some of the fangirls and fanboys will just crow that I suck. Well if I suck so bad, how did I do so well in AC2, AC Brotherhood, and AC Revelations? Did my skills just die? Umm.. no.

I'm no fanboy, as I feel there are control issues with not only in this game, but also with the others in the franchise. You did extremely well in the mentioned games because they have the same control schemes, whereas ACIII has the biggest overhaul in series history, so therefore you need to adapt a little bit. I prefer ACIII control schemes just because I have full control of the camera while free running.

Assassin_M
11-12-2012, 02:38 AM
Factually wrong..This is not an Opinion.

It`s wrong..

zhengyingli
11-12-2012, 02:39 AM

Facial animation, maybe. But definitely not the graphics.

twenty_glyphs
11-12-2012, 02:42 AM

I actually agree with this. I always thought Brotherhood had the clearest, best views across the city in the whole franchise. All the characters also had faces that looked great and managed not to be hideous caricatures of the same faces from the previous game in the series.

Jexx21
11-12-2012, 02:43 AM
Facial animation, maybe. But definitely not the graphics.

I find this funny as they used mocap to capture the voice actor's facial movements in AC3 and didn't in ACB.

Assassin_M
11-12-2012, 02:45 AM
I actually agree with this. I always thought Brotherhood had the clearest, best views across the city in the whole franchise. All the characters also had faces that looked great and managed not to be hideous caricatures of the same faces from the previous game in the series.
The Graphics and Facial Animation are a step forward. That is not an Opinion. Its fact. What you see does not change that..

I do not know if it`s your hate for the game that obligates you to criticize every bit of it, but No, the Graphics AND facial animations took a step forward...Fact. End Of

Jexx21
11-12-2012, 02:46 AM
What defines graphics as being better is how big and detailed the textures are and how realistic the animations are.

How good a graphical style looks, is of course subjective.

Assassin_M
11-12-2012, 02:48 AM
What defines graphics as being better is how big and detailed the textures are and how realistic the animations are.

How good a graphical style looks, is of course subjective.
Graphics include more than just those. There are numerous fields.. (Not including Visuals)

Nonetheless, Agreed with the second part..

zhengyingli
11-12-2012, 02:48 AM
I find this funny as they used mocap to capture the voice actor's facial movements in AC3 and didn't in ACB.
Their tech needs work, then. I clearly remember I HATED Lucy's animation as she looked like Ike with her flapping mouth in ACII, then became totally surprised the improvement made to her facial animations in Brotherhood. If that's handmade, than they should've left it at that. Although they did screw up Federico's facial animations in Brotherhood, so I don't know.

Jexx21
11-12-2012, 02:49 AM
Graphics include more than just those. There are numerous fields.. (Not including Visuals)

Nonetheless, Agreed with the second part..
I was sort of paraphrasing the fields for a basic understanding. :)

Jexx21
11-12-2012, 02:50 AM
Their tech needs work, then. I clearly remember I HATED Lucy's animation as she looked like Ike with her flapping mouth in ACII, then became totally surprised the improvement made to her facial animations in Brotherhood. If that's handmade, than they should've left it at that. Although they did screw up Federico's facial animations in Brotherhood, so I don't know.

It would take more work to manually make the animations, so I would rather them just improve their mocap systems..

TiaraBlade
11-12-2012, 02:51 AM
I'm no fanboy, as I feel there are control issues with not only in this game, but also with the others in the franchise. You did extremely well in the mentioned games because they have the same control schemes, whereas ACIII has the biggest overhaul in series history, so therefore you need to adapt a little bit. I prefer ACIII control schemes just because I have full control of the camera while free running.

The issue is not my adaption but instead the lack of response and bugs. The change in control schemes had little to do with refusing to lock onto a nearby target or register my attack in the thick of a melee.

Youtubed the ending. Kinda sad but fitting. I really don't care what happens now with the franchise, just very angry over the whole thing and being angry at a video game (and the people who created them) is just not my defintion of a fun time nor is forking over money for a new controller (hope I can play from the other ports).

It's sad how they so screwed this game up. Games are disappointing me lately ala ME3's ending. Maybe it's time for a new hobby, I dunno.

Assassin_M
11-12-2012, 02:51 AM
I was sort of paraphrasing the fields for a basic understanding. :)
Basic Understanding should hold no place. If anyone`s to talk about a certain field then it needs the detail..

Everyone here is "Criticizing" the graphics because they have basic understanding and did not delve into detail.. I'm not even sure all of them understand what "Graphics" is and what it includes..Everyone just uses the term so loosely.

zhengyingli
11-12-2012, 02:53 AM
It would take more work to manually make the animations, so I would rather them just improve their mocap systems..

You'll get no argument from me.

Jexx21
11-12-2012, 02:53 AM
Are you sure your controller wasn't broken BEFORE you started the game?

ProdiGurl
11-12-2012, 02:54 AM
I do get tired of the fanboy/fangirl label for loving the game. I still haven't endured any bugs & all but 2 minor glitches (Xbox), so nothing's been ruined for me and I'm sure it helps with favorability towards the game in general. .
I feel bad for anyone going thru serious bugs & glitching esp. when it becomes game-breaking & can understand the meltdown.
But when it comes to the game content and game length? I can't understand that and have to *totally* disagree. You probly weren't able to enjoy it any to know what I've experienced with it in having no bugs.
I'm having a blast up to Seq. 6 & I haven't even hit the Recruit/leveling yet which has been my fav. in past AC's.

Really sorry to hear this happened to you & your equipment :(

zhengyingli
11-12-2012, 02:56 AM
The issue is not my adaption but instead the lack of response and bugs. The change in control schemes had little to do with refusing to lock onto a nearby target or register my attack in the thick of a melee.

Seasoned AC let's players on youtube all showed some competence on adapting the newer controls and performed quite admirably, especially in combat. If it's bugs that are bugging you, you have my sympathy.

Jexx21
11-12-2012, 02:58 AM
My theory is that the bugs are because the engine is trying to adapt to aged hardware like it's supposed to but failing...

Liberation has some annoying bugs as well.

EDIT:

i feel like they started designing the game with the idea of it being on the next-gen consoles, but then Microsoft and Sony pushed their release off

..I wonder what the Wii U version is like.. it's hardware is better than the current-gen Xbox and Playstation..

ProdiGurl
11-12-2012, 03:02 AM
LOL I remember that - I couldn't quit staring at the pie hole. Talk about improvements to today!! WOW.

vivaxardas
11-12-2012, 03:05 AM
It's unfortunate when people can't enjoy something other are enjoying a lot. I had no problems with controls on xbox. For me graphics is great. I do not really pay close attention and analyze animations, so I notice a problem only when they are really off. In AC3 I don't remember any animation weirdness. I think AC3 has the best visuals among xbox games. There are some glitches, but I had nothing major. Frontier visuals on a clear day are simply gorgeous. So even though there are some things I really do not like, visuals are not among them. And despite some problems, the game is still a blast to play. I would not mind to get the next one next year.

David.Owl
11-12-2012, 03:07 AM
Factually wrong..This is not an Opinion.

It`s wrong..

Like i said I THINK they were better in brotherhood because the shadows are messed up in AC3 i think except for the shadows the graphics are good :)

zhengyingli
11-12-2012, 03:08 AM
It's unfortunate when people can't enjoy something other are enjoying a lot. I had no problems with controls on xbox. For me graphics is great. I do not really pay close attention and analyze animations, so I notice a problem only when they are really off. In AC3 I don't remember any animation weirdness. I think AC3 has the best visuals among xbox games. There are some glitches, but I had nothing major. Frontier visuals on a clear day are simply gorgeous. So even though there are some things I really do not like, visuals are not among them. And despite some problems, the game is still a blast to play. I would not mind to get the next one next year.
Fair enough. With all my complaints, there's really only one scene that looked off to me, and Connor was really chewing his lips. I mean really chewing, lol.

Jexx21
11-12-2012, 03:09 AM
Maybe the VA was too?

zhengyingli
11-12-2012, 03:13 AM
Maybe the VA was too?
It sure didn't sound like he was. I tried talking chewing my lips, didn't work out too well.

pirate1802
11-12-2012, 03:37 AM
I'm not here to say you suck, I'm here to bode you farewell.

No one should pass from these forums without knowing some kindness.. :(

SSJ_ORF
11-12-2012, 04:21 AM
I'm somewhat disappointed with this game as it was in production for three years, but it has had me playing everyday for hours and hours ever since I got it. There are tons of bugs within the game, and not surprisingly after Ubisoft's performance with ACR, they aren't addressing them most likely. Although, it is fun I will say. Maybe it's my desire to level up in MP or my desire to earn achievements in general. I don't know. I just have fun with this game for the majority of the time I spend playing it.

Turul.
11-12-2012, 05:03 AM
the amount of restarts necessary to complete some missions (especially if you want full sync) is completely gamebreaking.its really frustrating doing the same mission 10 times, even though I'd consider myself a pretty skilled AC player.

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE EXPERIENCED THIS MANY BUGS IN A SINGLE GAME. this game isn't polished as it should be and honestly feels like it's in beta stages.
often times the bugs are gamebreaking.

the story is alright pretty good and definitely has it's highlights,

but many times the pace is just so inconsistent. they spend a lot time telling you what happens rather than showing.
(lots of narration and rushed plot points)

Connor is very one dimensional and honestly rather boring.

honestly as awesome this game was supposed to be it was disappointing at times

TrueAssassin77
11-12-2012, 05:54 AM
If this is the most bugged game you 've ever played you must not no about DC universe onlin.

Connor being boring is an opinion. Connor being one dimensional is factually wrong.

zhengyingli
11-12-2012, 06:01 AM
Connor being boring is an opinion. Connor being one dimensional is factually wrong.

I compare Ezio with Tony Stark, and Connor with Bruce Wayne. Both aren't close to one dimensional. I know, bad argument on my part.

Black_Widow9
11-12-2012, 06:07 AM
For those of you that are in doubt, I am happy to tell you there are fixes incoming and we'll have more information this week. ;)

TrueAssassin77
11-12-2012, 06:08 AM
I compare Ezio with Tony Stark, and Connor with Bruce Wayne. Both aren't close to one dimensional. I know, bad argument on my part.

Mother of god!

That actually makes sense!

*mind blown*

zhengyingli
11-12-2012, 06:08 AM
For those of you that are in doubt, I am happy to tell you there are fixes incoming and we'll have more information this week. ;)
Very awesome.

Assassin_M
11-12-2012, 06:09 AM
Many Thanks..

pirate1802
11-12-2012, 06:09 AM
If this is the most bugged game you 've ever played you must not no about DC universe onlin.

Or any Bethesda game..

pirate1802
11-12-2012, 06:11 AM

http://www.mememaker.net/static/images/memes/316548.jpg

Turul.
11-12-2012, 06:24 AM

SPOILER WARNING

I find him quite one dimensional, he spends most of the game hoping to exact revenge on his enemies, he is incredibly angry the whole time. the only change he makes is from being a young native american man to an assassin.

so he kills his enemies, including his father. then what? his village isn't saved. He now just feels his efforts were pointless. What lesson has he learned, if any? and how does he change after the fact?

this is why i hope they make at least 1 more game with connor, so he can find more than just justice and revenge. or rather just learn a lesson.

scotland124
11-12-2012, 09:26 PM

The shadows are horrible and the 'Desmond' parts don't look as good as when you are playing as Connor in the American Revolution. In terms of ' grand scale' the graphics are quite impressive and the facial animations and the textures on Connor's outfits as well as some of the other characters outfits are really detailed. However, the detail in textures in the environments are not as good as Assassin's Creed Revelations which had super detailed textures in the environment i.e buildings, roof tiles etc. While these do look good in Assassin's Creed 3 as well they are definitely not to the same detail (just go close to some of the buildings and look at the brick textures they can appear quite low res' at times)
Although this is obviously because Assassin's Creed 3 is much bigger than AC.:R and I'm sure it will look a lot better on PC.

kriegerdesgottes
11-12-2012, 09:28 PM

Yay thanks for the update :D

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
11-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Guys, please do not put spoilers in threads in the Console forum, these are to be tagged and posted in Hints and Tips.

I will tag and move this one.

Assemblent
11-12-2012, 10:04 PM

It's not a bad argument actually. I totally agree as silly it might sound to some people. Assassin's Creed became my favorite games of all time, but I never related to the self centered Altair or the joyful playboy Ezio, though I loved both characters. Now, I finally had the oportunity to play my favorite game of all time with a character to whom I totally relate to... That never happened to me in my 29 year old experience as a gamer. I had to wait until this game... I think that the problem is that people often mistaken OPINIONS for FACTS.

The only complaint I have is... No Jesper Kyd... And as silly as it might sound, the game suffered a bit from his absence in composing the soundtrack...

zhengyingli
11-13-2012, 12:34 AM
It's not a bad argument actually. I totally agree as silly it might sound to some people. Assassin's Creed became my favorite games of all time, but I never related to the self centered Altair or the joyful playboy Ezio, though I loved both characters. Now, I finally had the oportunity to play my favorite game of all time with a character to whom I totally relate to... That never happened to me in my 29 year old experience as a gamer. I had to wait until this game... I think that the problem is that people often mistaken OPINIONS for FACTS.

The only complaint I have is... No Jesper Kyd... And as silly as it might sound, the game suffered a bit from his absence in composing the soundtrack...

You and I are probably on the same boat. Altair, Ezio, and Haytham are characters that I want to be, but Connor is much closer to who I actually am. Maybe that's why he's my favorite AC character.

Syler99
11-13-2012, 04:30 AM
Ton's of glitches like:

Gravity deifying animals who when tossed off cliffs can stay in air to lung back and kill you!

Arrow proof animals

Bullet, sword, arrow, and punch proof npcs seriously when you find them THEY DON'T DIE! No matter how many stabs to the face you give them!

Getting stuck in walls, rocks, and trees

Evil horse spawns you know glowing green or yellow eyes

The horses change color and weight every time you call them

no lock on

every guard knows you did something and know where to find you within 20 blocks

90 chasing soldiers turn into 7 when you finally give up on running away and decide to fight

Patriot soldiers treat you just like British despite the fact you're getting bases for them

dead animals rise and run off

dead men rise take up arms and then remember they're suppose to be dead

floating bodies

wolf growls that make the four prowling below you sound like 100 growls

and so fourth

Then there's the poor story and poor handling of the npcs I didn't even know who Revere was until I got to ride with him and that was lame. Its like you've come late to the party you know a few guest like Washington and Franklin but then you have to rush to meet the other guest you get their name and then you have to leave in the middle of their conversation so you can get to the other guest before running out of the party because you're needed somewhere out in the woods to help some guy from bandits. Conner is nothing more then a spectator at best.

Conner himself is unrelateable

Playing as Nathan for 6 hours sucked you had no clue who this guy was you assumed his role was related to Conner and then it became something of a soap opera I get it they need to establish characters Conner would meet later and how his life became what it was but really 1 level sum up would've worked not 6 hours.

Desmond was bland as card board and I don't see much of his animus assassin training paying off big time.

Then the ending was it so hard for ubi to do press A to side with so and so or press B to side with so and so not to mention the entire lame excuse to include 2012 crap which isn't trendy its just ridiculous and dates the game.