PDA

View Full Version : OPINION- AC3 needed better side missions

LoyalACFan
11-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Okay, before I step on any toes, I'll preface this by saying that I still really enjoyed the game; I'm not a hater. But for a game promised to be "huge", a lot of the side quests lack any real purpose. There was just so much stuff in the game that felt contrived just for the sake of adding more content, which I'll address below.

Courier Missions/Delivery Requests
We've had these before, but in previous incarnations, they were timed missions designed to challenge your free-running skills. Now, you go talk to a guy who gives you some letters, and allows you to deliver them at your leisure. You can deliver them ten years later if you want. There's no challenge, no incentive, and frankly no reason to drop a marker on a courier mission, run across the map, and press Circle. I doubt anyone wants to go on a pointless fetch quest just to hear "You have my everlasting gratitude, sir!"

Assassination Contracts
Again, these aren't new, but they're much less interesting than before. They're all just one random guy walking aimlessly around the city, with no guards and no awareness that he's in danger. Nine times out of ten, you can just walk up, stab him, and walk off with no challenge at all.

Hidden Tunnel Entrances
These had potential, but the puzzles were all laughably easy, and it's obnoxiously time-consuming to walk under the entire city of Boston at a slow jog looking for these things, especially when you have to stop every few minutes to work around a stupid puzzle to get your lantern past an obstacle.

Assassin Recruits
They came SO close with these. I always wanted the recruits to be individual characters instead of randomized clones, but why couldn't they have treated them in a similar fashion to the Homesteader side missions, with scripted missions that develop the characters? As it is right now, you're forced to complete several repetitive "Liberation" missions on your own, which are often maddening to complete since they don't show up on the map, followed up with a single mission with the recruit. I wish they would have had a similar structure to Revelations' recruit missions, except that each district would have a predetermined recruit as well as a predetermined Templar agent from the MP.

Clubs
The club challenges are pretty much a direct copy from Brotherhood, but without hire-able factions in the city anymore, there's no reason to complete the challenges since you don't unlock new faction abilities. Instead, they just become meaningless and tedious.

Crafting
Okay, this was just a bad idea, plain and simple. The interface is confusing, most of the goods are pointless, and it's extremely counter-intuitive. For example, why do the special items (which you can only craft once) remain in the list after you've crafted them? It's cluttered, frustrating, and really isn't thematically relevant like AC 2's renovations were.

Essentially, the only enjoyable side quests are the Homestead missions, Peg Leg's letters, and the naval missions. All the rest is either pointless, or poorly implemented.

Dan Pen 97
11-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Okay, before I step on any toes, I'll preface this by saying that I still really enjoyed the game; I'm not a hater. But for a game promised to be "huge", a lot of the side quests lack any real purpose. There was just so much stuff in the game that felt contrived just for the sake of adding more content, which I'll address below.

Courier Missions/Delivery Requests
We've had these before, but in previous incarnations, they were timed missions designed to challenge your free-running skills. Now, you go talk to a guy who gives you some letters, and allows you to deliver them at your leisure. You can deliver them ten years later if you want. There's no challenge, no incentive, and frankly no reason to drop a marker on a courier mission, run across the map, and press Circle. I doubt anyone wants to go on a pointless fetch quest just to hear "You have my everlasting gratitude, sir!"

Assassination Contracts
Again, these aren't new, but they're much less interesting than before. They're all just one random guy walking aimlessly around the city, with no guards and no awareness that he's in danger. Nine times out of ten, you can just walk up, stab him, and walk off with no challenge at all.

Hidden Tunnel Entrances
These had potential, but the puzzles were all laughably easy, and it's obnoxiously time-consuming to walk under the entire city of Boston at a slow jog looking for these things, especially when you have to stop every few minutes to work around a stupid puzzle to get your lantern past an obstacle.

Assassin Recruits
They came SO close with these. I always wanted the recruits to be individual characters instead of randomized clones, but why couldn't they have treated them in a similar fashion to the Homesteader side missions, with scripted missions that develop the characters? As it is right now, you're forced to complete several repetitive "Liberation" missions on your own, which are often maddening to complete since they don't show up on the map, followed up with a single mission with the recruit. I wish they would have had a similar structure to Revelations' recruit missions, except that each district would have a predetermined recruit as well as a predetermined Templar agent from the MP.

Clubs
The club challenges are pretty much a direct copy from Brotherhood, but without hire-able factions in the city anymore, there's no reason to complete the challenges since you don't unlock new faction abilities. Instead, they just become meaningless and tedious.

Crafting
Okay, this was just a bad idea, plain and simple. The interface is confusing, most of the goods are pointless, and it's extremely counter-intuitive. For example, why do the special items (which you can only craft once) remain in the list after you've crafted them? It's cluttered, frustrating, and really isn't thematically relevant like AC 2's renovations were.

Essentially, the only enjoyable side quests are the Homestead missions, Peg Leg's letters, and the naval missions. All the rest is either pointless, or poorly implemented.

I think they should add some of these point's you added. and they are good as well :)

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
11-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Please ensure you post these here http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/720979-Assassin-s-Creed-3-Single-Player-Gameplay-Feedback-DO-NOT-POST-SPOILERS so they don't get lost.