PDA

View Full Version : OT: Today on Discovery Channel Canada!!!!!

stef51
05-21-2004, 10:28 AM
Those who have the discovery Channel in Canada. Today at 4:00pm (check local listing).

Great military clashes..:

The first part is the Sherman vs Tiger. The second part is the Spit Vs 109.

The good part is that they will fire real .303 spit and 20mm 109 guns against metal parts with the same armor width...

Probably a rerun today. I saw it yesterday night. A very impressive demonstration.

Stephen

stef51
05-21-2004, 10:28 AM
Those who have the discovery Channel in Canada. Today at 4:00pm (check local listing).

The good part is that they will fire real .303 spit and 20mm 109 guns against metal parts with the same armor width...

Probably a rerun today. I saw it yesterday night. A very impressive demonstration.

Stephen

JG52_wunsch
05-21-2004, 10:34 AM
hey stef
the sherman vs tiger was kind of a joke,but the spit vs bf 109 was pretty good,only problem was they kept mixing the models of the 109 up,showing pics of the fredrich and saying it had 2x20mm cannons in its wings,doh.the sound and visuals make it worth watching the sound of the merlin was awsome,cheers.

After it was refeuled i climbed in.With many manipulations the mechcanics started the turbines.I followed their actions with the greatest of interest.The first one started quite easily.the second caught fire.In no time the whole engine was on fire.Luckily as a fighter pilot i was used to getting quickly out of the cockpit.The fire was quickly put out.The second plane caused no trouble - Adolf Galland (first time in a ME262)

RACFrankenstein
05-21-2004, 11:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stef51:

Probably a rerun today. I saw it yesterday night. A very impressive demonstration.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Last night? It was Sabre vs MIG 15 and M-16 Vs AK 47. Is it different depending on where you live in Canada? What I mean is do East, West and Central get the same shows?

NegativeGee
05-21-2004, 11:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JG52_wunsch:
hey stef
the sherman vs tiger was kind of a joke,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't see it, was it lacking in historical accuracy?

"As weaponry, both were good, but in far different ways from each other. In a nutshell, I describe it this way: if the FW 190 was a sabre, the 109 was a florett, or foil, like that used in the precision art of fencing." - Gunther Rall

http://www.invoman.com/images/tali_with_hands.jpg

Look Noobie, we already told you, we don't have the Patch!

stef51
05-21-2004, 11:10 AM
RACFrankenstein...

Well, maybe here in the east, (Quebec), there was 2 shows one after another I think.

Today at 4:00pm it's the one I saw, then at 5:00pm, it's the one you saw... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JG52_Wunsch...

Yeah, I know it was not 100% accurate. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/35.gif

Cute show though and hell, never thought there was a real Tiger that could move today...http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I quickly saw it too about the mixing of the 109 and kinda was worrying about it... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/88.gif

Still a fun show...

Stef

Crimea_River
05-21-2004, 04:36 PM
I saw the Spit vs 109 and it was pretty cool. I agree with Wunsch on mixing up the models of the 109 but at least they were comparing the two in the BoB timeframe. That would make the 2x20's vs the Spit's 8x.303's accurate. Although it was neat to see the show pumping real 20mm shells and .303 bullets through a sheet of a/c aluminum, the demonstration did not show the impact of the 20's explosive shell which were able to rip things up pretty good once they exploded. As it was, the demo was only able to show the comparative diameter of the holes punched through the wing.

In the end, they called it a draw between the two planes. No clear winner or loser - probably a fair assesment given the apparent strengths and weaknesses of both machines and the fact that people have been debating the topic for over 60 years now. That must mean they were very close in performance. In the end they said that it was the man holding the stick that matters.

Now where have I heard that before?

JG52_wunsch
05-21-2004, 05:24 PM
hey
they played both episodes last night.yeah it s
a cool idea.that tiger is an awsome beast with the 88.ouch.loved the live footage of the spit/bf109,sweet.cheers

After it was refeuled i climbed in.With many manipulations the mechcanics started the turbines.I followed their actions with the greatest of interest.The first one started quite easily.the second caught fire.In no time the whole engine was on fire.Luckily as a fighter pilot i was used to getting quickly out of the cockpit.The fire was quickly put out.The second plane caused no trouble - Adolf Galland (first time in a ME262)