PDA

View Full Version : Original Gamer Trophy

cheezman3
11-08-2012, 01:59 AM
I can not win Fanorona for my life, any tips or something along the lines of a tip?

VaLhAlLa Oo
11-09-2012, 11:59 PM
That *****, i hoped once Achilles was dead someone noob wouls pop up, but Achilles just resurrect each time u want to play.

RandomRansom
11-10-2012, 12:19 AM
I can not win Fanorona for my life, any tips or something along the lines of a tip?

Here... let me bring you happiness.

Go here: http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/180a/projects/fanorona/

Then go to options and change things to this:
- Computer plays black pieces
- Human plays white pieces
- White pieces start at top
- White makes first move
- Long move log format

Let Achilles go first (better that way anyway). Input his move (white) into the website game. Use the website game's computer move (black) as your move against Achilles (you may have to figure out what the heck the computer did in order to take so many pieces and end up where it did, but it's doable).

This is also how I won 500+ from game bets for the Thieves' challenges. I just had fun pounding Achilles into the ground after hours of losing horribly to him.

You know it's bad when you almost HAVE to pit a computer against a computer to win a game.

Oh, a few things for reference:

INSTRUCTION: HOW TO MOVE AND TAKE
*Remember you(Achilles) are the White pieces

To move your desired white piece, instead of clicking on it, you choose the black piece to take.
[Important!]If you choose a black piece but the program doesn't move, it means more than 1 white piece can be use to take that particular piece. You will need to click on the white piece and DRAG it to the position you want to move.
Repeat choosing black piece(s) if there are multiple takes.
When your move ends, black piece will automatically move and THIS is your respond move to put back in the game.
*Sometimes Achilles stop his move even if he can take more, in that case, you should use PASS.
In late games where you have to move without taking pieces, this time you click on the White piece and click on the position you want to move.

(If you made a mistake moving, you can always use the UNDO button)

THE MOVE LOG
(Reminder: This requires you to enable Long move log format under options first)
If you couldn't figure out your respond move, you can use the move log as a reference. Here, it uses Column a to i and Row 5 to 1 to label the pieces and every step is outlined in the format of "Movement x taken pieces".

Have fun, and don't say I never gave you anything. LOL

cheezman3
11-10-2012, 01:40 AM
Here... let me bring you happiness.

Go here: http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/180a/projects/fanorona/

Then go to options and change things to this:
- Computer plays black pieces
- Human plays white pieces
- White pieces start at top
- White makes first move
- Long move log format

Let Achilles go first (better that way anyway). Input his move (white) into the website game. Use the website game's computer move (black) as your move against Achilles (you may have to figure out what the heck the computer did in order to take so many pieces and end up where it did, but it's doable).

This is also how I won 500+ from game bets for the Thieves' challenges. I just had fun pounding Achilles into the ground after hours of losing horribly to him.

You know it's bad when you almost HAVE to pit a computer against a computer to win a game.

Oh, a few things for reference:

INSTRUCTION: HOW TO MOVE AND TAKE
*Remember you(Achilles) are the White pieces

To move your desired white piece, instead of clicking on it, you choose the black piece to take.
[Important!]If you choose a black piece but the program doesn't move, it means more than 1 white piece can be use to take that particular piece. You will need to click on the white piece and DRAG it to the position you want to move.
Repeat choosing black piece(s) if there are multiple takes.
When your move ends, black piece will automatically move and THIS is your respond move to put back in the game.
*Sometimes Achilles stop his move even if he can take more, in that case, you should use PASS.
In late games where you have to move without taking pieces, this time you click on the White piece and click on the position you want to move.

(If you made a mistake moving, you can always use the UNDO button)

THE MOVE LOG
(Reminder: This requires you to enable Long move log format under options first)
If you couldn't figure out your respond move, you can use the move log as a reference. Here, it uses Column a to i and Row 5 to 1 to label the pieces and every step is outlined in the format of "Movement x taken pieces".

Have fun, and don't say I never gave you anything. LOL

Now this is a guide! Thank you so much! If I win, I will love you forever.

RandomRansom
11-10-2012, 01:51 AM
Now this is a guide! Thank you so much! If I win, I will love you forever.

You will. Just follow the moves the computer makes and you'll win 9 times out of 10. The 10th will be a draw. It can be sometimes hard to figure out exactly what the computer did in it's move (following the move log was hard for me so I just logically figured it out), but once you get the hang of it, you'll be golden.

cheezman3
11-10-2012, 05:44 AM
You will. Just follow the moves the computer makes and you'll win 9 times out of 10. The 10th will be a draw. It can be sometimes hard to figure out exactly what the computer did in it's move (following the move log was hard for me so I just logically figured it out), but once you get the hang of it, you'll be golden.

following everything, I have had four straight draws and one loss. Is it because I am playing against the minister ?

EDIT: I went to the level tab and changed it to a three ply fixed depth search and got the win. Thanks so much for sharing that site.

JakeBreid
11-20-2012, 03:00 AM
So can you teach me how to use the log? I don't understand it...

blacklimoband
11-20-2012, 05:30 AM
So can you teach me how to use the log? I don't understand it...

I just worked it out...

Imagine this is the board

A5 B5 C5 D5 E5 F5 G5 H5 I5
A4 B4 C4 D4 E4 F4 G4 H4 I4
A3 B3 C3 D3 E3 F3 G3 H3 I3
A2 B2 C2 D2 E2 F2 G2 H2 I2
A1 B1 C1 D1 E1 F1 G1 H1 I1

If the log says for example: "f3-e3 x d3" it means the piece on dot F3 was moved to E3 and captured (x) the piece on D3. This is the opening move I used in my test, the computer followed up with "d2-d3 x d4, d5", meaning the piece at D2 moved to D3 and captured my pieces on D4 and D5.

Hope that helps :)

BTW Random, thanks for the linky bro :)

*edit*

Can anyone offer tips on how to win at bowls? This mini-game is really annoying the crap outta me....

Wournos
11-20-2012, 11:29 AM
RandomRansom,
May I copy your tip to a thread (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/727220-Nine-Mens-Morris-for-board-game-haters?p=8711707#post8711707) I started yesterday? I found similar tips for Nine Mens Morris.

JakeBreid
11-20-2012, 07:11 PM
I usually just use the low throw and knock the enemy's ball as far away from the jack as possible. Or try to block the jack with yours so that they can't really get through. I don't know if that will help, but I know what you said helped me. Thanks!

JakeBreid
11-21-2012, 12:38 AM
I just want to say thanks, RegalGhostRider! I now have another platinum trophy :D I guess I'll be trying to platinum Dishonored now that I completely beat AC3. Great game, can't wait until next one in the series.

blacklimoband
11-21-2012, 02:34 AM
I just want to say thanks, RegalGhostRider! I now have another platinum trophy :D I guess I'll be trying to platinum Dishonored now that I completely beat AC3. Great game, can't wait until next one in the series.

Grats dude :)

I can't take the credit tho, props have to go to Random for the link ;) But I appreciate the courtesy, pretty rare thing these days!

Oh, and thanks for the advice on the bowls, I'll give it a go tonight.

JakeBreid
11-21-2012, 04:14 AM
Grats dude :)

I can't take the credit tho, props have to go to Random for the link ;) But I appreciate the courtesy, pretty rare thing these days!

Oh, and thanks for the advice on the bowls, I'll give it a go tonight.

Yes but I gave up on using the log because I didn't understand it. That is, until you helped me. Good luck on bowls!

RandomRansom
11-21-2012, 05:02 AM
RandomRansom,
May I copy your tip to a thread (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/727220-Nine-Mens-Morris-for-board-game-haters?p=8711707#post8711707) I started yesterday? I found similar tips for Nine Mens Morris.

Sure thing. I know how hard that Fanorona game can be on Expert. I just couldn't figure out how to win (after hours and hours of trying... maybe it was the lack of sleep that completely hindered me). If it's going to help people who are just too frustrated with that particular mini-game, then definitely share the tip.

Yes but I gave up on using the log because I didn't understand it. That is, until you helped me. Good luck on bowls!

I, personally, liked figuring out the moves on my own (without using the log). It made me feel less like I was cheating. LOL All you have to do is figure out which piece the computer began the moves with and then figure out how to move it so it ends up where it did. It made it more fun for me too.

JakeBreid
11-22-2012, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the link. I found it enjoyable to win for once, so I'm happy :D