PDA

View Full Version : [Suggestion] Movement, Guard behavioir, and animal behavior.

Ninjahed
11-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Some problems and a solution to them I have come across that I hope Ubisoft addresses. Some arn't that important while others are sort of game breaking to me.

-{Problem} Free running vs. Free climbing. The two are very different and offer their own uses but the problem is there is no choice in the matter. If you sprint towards a small box or a wreckage you climb it or jump up it which slows you down dramatically when trying to escape pursuers.
-{Solution} While holding R1 and X (Or right bumper + A for xbox i think, I don't know pc buttons) you will climb objects when you approach them normally. While only holding R1 you will "avoid" climibng objects and stay on solid ground as much as possible. That way when running you can toggle between climbing up a wall or running past objects as quickly as possible so you don't run up walls by mistake or jump from object to object. Also adds a little challenge in tming for those who want to mix wall climbing and straight running effectivly.

-{Problem} Pick Up weapon Vs. Counter. While in combat, I have constantly picked up a dead guard's weapon over countering the guard who is swinging at me. Like free running vs free climbing, I have no real option.
-{Solution} while in combat pressing O (Or B for Xbox, I don't know pc buttons) picks up the weapon below you. While holding R1 and pressing O (think its right bumper and B for Xbox, I don't know Pc buttons) you will counter. This seperates the two functions while maintaining their complete use. Being in combat is displayed by the sort of zoom out and you standing still attacking or defending against attacks. While out of combat you can still hold R1 and press O on the move to pick up a weapon as intended.

-{Problem} Mail delivery, not picking up the quest, all have the same voice saying "You have my everlasting gratitude" or something along the lines of it."
-{Solution} Variety of voices. Not a huge game breaker by it does seem a bit lazy to use the same voice over and over.

-{Problem} Guard patroling. Not the kind where there are groups walking together in the Frontier or through cities but the solo guards who just walk from one spot to the other like a robot. They dont have any life like scratching their nose or head, coughing, stretching, cracking knuckles, or even looking around a little. They just stare blankly and walk to the next spot doing the same. The guards who stand still are excellent and they talk, move a little, nod their head to conversation, etc. The solo patrol guards do nothing sadly.-{Solution} Any of the above solutions to make them seem more believable as "people".

-{Problem} In some regions, guards don't react to dead guards and just simple stay on their course of walking back and fourth. (Noticed it harshly on the British Ship mission where you have 2 ships to take out from shooting cannons at Bunker Hill.) As well as many guards who you would think noticed you stabbing a guard and pulling them aside a corner or itno a hiding spot simple don't notice. Lastly I have come across times where guards stay near my last scene spot investigating and once they investigation ends, they don't react to me coming out of hiding even after recently chasing me.
-{Solution} Guards investigate deaths more thoroughly. If a guard who was recently chasing you spots you again, they will immediatly chase you down again prompting you to stay clear of them (Perhaps mark them so you know who to avoid). Getting noticed by guard distance is ok, not much of a problem there, but a dramatic increase (Like X2) sight range for you killing a guard being noticed should be implemented. It is a little too easy when you whistly, stab and pull a guard aside and across the pier 2 guards are just watching it happen and go about their course. Also Platning a trip wire bomb should have guards avoid it if they pursure you after watching you plant it. (You would think they learned by now)

-{Problem} While on horseback, animals don't attack you. Not sure if its because horses are for some reason immune to death but in any case.
-{Solution} Horses become killable. You can't skin them just like you can't skin guard dogs so there is no gain from killing them. This also forces you to get off horseback during a wolf or bobcat or leapord or bear attack. If you don't the dog or cat will lunge and knock you off the horse (If you press the sequene of buttons correctly you still get knocked off but you kill the wolf or leapord or bobcat on the fall; As for bears you want to get off the horse immediatly or run away.)

-{Problem} The addition of bushes as a way to stealth is very useful and I enjoy it a lot except for 2 things. They don't appear to cover you much and guards walking through the bushes don't notice you (Even while wearing a stolen red coat uniform).
-{Solution} Bush design is made thicked but while moving through them just like moving through water, your movement is slowed. That way a concealing bush is more beleivable instead of free running through branches and such. Also for animals and guards that are really close or inside the bush, if you move you will reveal yourself to them and them only. This forces the player to chose where to stay in the bush and so they can't walk literally right past the guard or dear as they are passing by or enjoying your delicious bait. If you stand still and don't get touched by the passing guard or animal, you won't get noticed.

Didn't see a suggestion forum not sure if Ubisoft is open to things like community suggestions but these are the few problems I have come across. Still love the game and still think it is a successful predecessor to Assassin'S Creed II. Nothing against the game or its developers, just thought I'd share some issues I came across and a suggestion to keep the core gameplay challenging and more believable.

Mr_Shade
11-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Please make sure to post your suggestions in the singleplayer feedback thread - which is pinned at the top of the forum - this will make sure it is not lost ;)

Ninjahed
11-07-2012, 10:34 PM
My apologies, thought there would be a sub-forum for suggesitons. Thank you for redirecting.

projectpat06
11-07-2012, 10:41 PM
In terms of free running and free climbing, you can just press left or right on the left stick right when you get to an obstacle and Connor will dodge it very fluently. If it's an obstacle like a fence, log, small ledge, table, etc. just hold R1+X or R1+O to vault over (which has some awesome animations) instead of climbing over it. Also instead of leaping from object to object by holding R1, Connor can always leap down instead to lower ledges by pressing R1+O. The controls are almost near perfect if you discover all the tricks imo. The game just doesn't hold your hand through it all.

In terms of picking up weapons, it's much easier to just switch to you fists, counter by pressing O then press X to disarm and keep their weapon. Think about how hard it would be to concentrate enough to bend over and grab a weapon when ten soldiers with muskets, swords, and axes are trying to take your life. You can easily just stand over a weapon and press R1+O and he grabs it if someone isn't attacking which makes sense if you wanted to stay away and not get hit.

I hear you on the horse thing. That would be cool if you got attacked on the horse. It's not like Red Dead where you horse dies from a cougar then your left stranded for a while until you can whistle for a horse again (that's if you survived). The trees are a better means of transportation anyways

Ninjahed
11-08-2012, 11:23 PM
In terms of free running and free climbing, you can just press left or right on the left stick right when you get to an obstacle and Connor will dodge it very fluently. If it's an obstacle like a fence, log, small ledge, table, etc. just hold R1+X or R1+O to vault over (which has some awesome animations) instead of climbing over it. Also instead of leaping from object to object by holding R1, Connor can always leap down instead to lower ledges by pressing R1+O. The controls are almost near perfect if you discover all the tricks imo. The game just doesn't hold your hand through it all.

In terms of picking up weapons, it's much easier to just switch to you fists, counter by pressing O then press X to disarm and keep their weapon. Think about how hard it would be to concentrate enough to bend over and grab a weapon when ten soldiers with muskets, swords, and axes are trying to take your life. You can easily just stand over a weapon and press R1+O and he grabs it if someone isn't attacking which makes sense if you wanted to stay away and not get hit.

I hear you on the horse thing. That would be cool if you got attacked on the horse. It's not like Red Dead where you horse dies from a cougar then your left stranded for a while until you can whistle for a horse again (that's if you survived). The trees are a better means of transportation anyways

Strafing side to side doesn't work in many situations unless your in an open street or in the frontier. When near city ruins or a market with crates and barrels everywhere running past them isn't as easy as it seems and it makes escaping pursuing guards very nerve wrecking (atleast for me). Im not talking about fences or logs that you leap over, I actually enjoy those and it made me appreciate the smooth movement change compared to past titles but the little barrels, crates ruins, construction desks, etc. Those arn't something connor leaps over all the time but instead hops onto and then if still holding R1 will jump to another object or climb a vender station. The end result is guards staring at me as I jump from one little object to the next and smack me with their swords and rifle bayonet. Simple holding R1+X will put you into climbing mode or jumping from object (which would be things like horse carriages, rooftops, boats, posts, etc.) and holding only R1 or R1+O will keep connor on solid ground as much as possible so you don't climb things by mistake and stumble into a series of misguided moves.

as for combat, I shouldn't have to use bare fists every fight just to take their weapon to avoid picking up another. Thered be no point in bringing your own axe or club or sword which would just take away from custimization or fighting preference.

Not asking for anything but options to game mechanics so 1 button doesn't serve 2 or more actions.