PDA

View Full Version : Why can't locations be on map after discovery?

haskellbl
11-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Is there a way to put the locations that have been discovered on the map?

Use this as an example.
As I am running from a group of Redcoats because I have assassinated one of their buddies, a notification pops up on the HUD saying basically that you have discovered the Old North Church, press start to read all about it. I, being caught up in the moment of fleeing for my life, decide to ignore the message & run for another fifteen blocks before diving into a hay bale and waiting it out. I will then hit the start button so I can read all about the Old North Church. Since I really didn't have time to stop and do some site seeing, I would like to go back and look at Ubisoft's version of the church. The only problem is that I do not know the exact location. Obviously, it is located in northern Boston, but if I am on the south edge of Boston everything is north of me. Plus, there is more than one building in Boston that I could confuse for the Old North Church. Now, I have to find a building that looks like a church, go into the Animus, and try to figure out if the picture matches the building I am currently looking at. Wouldn't it just be easier to put an icon on the map? I could view the map, put my cursor over the icon and have it read "Old North Church." This is an example. I am not just trying to relocate the Old North Church, I am wanting to know the locations of my historical discoveries.

I have owned and played all of the Assassin's Creed games, but I do not remember if any of them had this sort of thing in place. So I ask again, is there a way to find locations I have discovered without searching for them on my own?

Thanks for the help.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-06-2012, 02:53 PM
I agree - it would be nice if they added another layer to the map for historical buildings. The map in AC3 is a lot less helpful than in previous AC games (for example, it doesn't show hiding spots anymore), but none of them (as far as I can recall) had this option. It seems like it ought to be in the game - a minor nitpick, but one that it seems could easily be put right if Ubisoft wanted to.

twenty_glyphs
11-06-2012, 04:20 PM
I completely agree, ever since I started digging deep into the Animus Database in AC2 I've wished this was a feature in the games. At least in AC2/ACB/ACR the database entry notification would pop up when you visited a certain location again, letting you know you at least found the right building. In AC3, it appears that the location database entries pop up once and never show up again when visiting that location again, so it's even worse. On top of that, the 3D look of the AC3 database makes it harder to even make out the image of the building well because it's so skewed just for the sake of looking cool.

Also, the initial database notification for a location in the AC2 trilogy of games had a screenshot of the location, and would then change to just the name popping up later on to not be as annoying. After a while of not visiting a location, the screenshot will pop with the notification again. That system was so helpful. It boggles my mind when people make something so good like a lot of AC2's systems and then redo it in a worse way just for the sake of being new and different. It makes me think they never really understood why the system was good to begin with and just got lucky.

Back on topic, I think a good solution for this issue would be a button prompt when viewing a location database entry that says "Set Waypoint on Map". It would set a waypoint on your map at the location's position and take you into the map view. Of course, for that to work they'd first have to fix AC3's persistent desire to reset your waypoint marker to random spots on the map...

CalgaryJay
11-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Ya I agree with this, in previous AC games it'd usually re-pop up as you walk by again, even if you've already read it.

Just did the Hickey mission in NY, which is the first time it takes you to that city. Stuff kept popping up as you past landmarks while following that guy on horseback, but of course you can't stop & look around because you're in mid-mission. Now I want to go back & see everything but, like you said, I'm not 100% sure where it all was. Of course I'm sure I'd figure it all out, just would make it easier to have it pop up at least one more time.