PDA

View Full Version : Falling in love with Naval Missions

TlNSTAAFL
11-05-2012, 06:45 AM
*DO NOT POST SPOILERS

The Naval warfare has been the highlight of the game for me. In the end, just after completing the game today, it led me to the conclusion of it being one of the few things I yearned more of when I ran out. As in, I didn't just finish the missions for the sake of doing my part as a completionist. It was thorough enjoyment that urged me on.

To my surprise, though they covered alot of ground in the Naval Missions, they only just graced the tip of the iceberg. Leading me to hope for future DLC in the future involving hopefully more exciting missions. For example guys, did you know that submarines were actually invented during 1776? The first one, named "The Turtle" took on a raid to attempt to help win the war against the British Navy.
http://www.history.navy.mil/library/online/sub_turtle.htm

Also, not touching anything on the USS Constitution. How dare they! That ship is famous! D=
http://www.history.navy.mil/ussconstitution/history.html

While I'm not sure if it was the same team that created the Naval Missions, I also wanted to give a shout-out to those that did the Trinket Missions. The new change of scenery was easy on the eyes, and every mission was versatile enough to constantly keep my interest.

~ Spoons ~
~ How would you guys feel about Naval Warfare for vs multiplayer? Would it be fun or frustrating?
~ How about Naval Warfare co-op multiplayer?
~ Is a pirate game made of win within Ubisoft's grasp?

I'd say yes many times to this... I am loving the Naval battles. I have been a fan of the pirate/sailing genre for ever, and to date this is the best Naval combat I have experienced. Controls are logical, ship responds in the manner one would expect (as in doesn't turn on the spot, doesn't stop instantly etc) and the elevation of the water, waves etc dramatically effects your shooting accuracy. I would say top job Ubi.

If they were to make a pirate game I would love to see one where you could purchase or capture different ships (and upgrade them), build up a fleet, hire NPC captains to sail ships on your behalf (on background missions or actively in your flotilla), incorporate ship boarding and port sacking (using the melee and firearm combat elements from this game), maybe a little bit of ground-pounding just for a bit of a change of pace, and maybe even encourage legitimate trading as part of the ocean-going game... Individual weapon upgrades (pistols, cutlasses, sabers, rapiers, knives, axes etc), and utilize the assassin's guild concept for building your pirate brotherhood (select which brothers to crew your main ship, and captain and crew your other ships... or at least some key crew members, and generic cut-throats for the bulk of the crew)

I hope you guys in the game design department are taking notes here.....

Black_Widow9
11-05-2012, 06:50 AM
Please make sure you also add this here-
Assassin's Creed 3 Single Player Gameplay Feedback *DO NOT POST SPOILERS (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/720979)

TlNSTAAFL
11-05-2012, 06:55 AM
There we go. Edited the OP. Hope that works. (you'd think that would already come into play, seeing as how it's in the ToS) I'd just use your link, quote and whatnot. But I'm dreadfully unfamiliar with this forum's layout. I just created this account 5 minutes ago.

Black_Widow9
11-05-2012, 07:04 AM
(you'd think that would already come into play, seeing as how it's in the ToS)
I really wish that was the case. :)

I'd just use your link, quote and whatnot. But I'm dreadfully unfamiliar with this forum's layout. I just created this account 5 minutes ago.

After you get familiar with the Forum, the link is the official Gameplay Feedback thread. The forums are really busy right now and if you want to make sure your idea doesn't get missed you should post it there too. It makes it a lot easier to have one place for the Developers to go. ;)

I actually wondered about the Turtle submarine myself.

TlNSTAAFL
11-05-2012, 07:13 AM
How do I move this thing to the Feedback forum? xD If it's possible for a moderator to move a thread, I'd be delighted if you could go ahead to just move it there instead of me reposting the same thread twice in two different forums. If that's not possible though, then I don't mind keeping up with both threads.

Assassin_M
11-05-2012, 07:15 AM
I really loved Naval Battles just wanted to see your reaction xD

Naval Battles has been the worst experience for me. Its broken and very clunky. It`s always going the wrong way and it`s also very Unnecessary to the core of Assassins Creed. The Water looks bad and the Ship is awful, I guess this is just another Den Defense attempt. They failed miserably at this..

TlNSTAAFL
11-05-2012, 07:22 AM

Naval Battles has been the worst experience for me. Its broken and very clunky. It`s always going the wrong way and it`s also very Unnecessary to the core of Assassins Creed. The Water looks bad and the Ship is awful, I guess this is just another Den Defense attempt. They failed miserably at this..
I think we are just gonna have to agree to disagree on this. I've had just about nearly the opposite experience that you've had with the mechanics and actually enjoy how everything looks. While, it isn't very "assassin" like, neither is hunting game, of the other side missions found throughout the world of AC III. To fulfill certain quotas marked in the game (trying not to spoil here), I found it very necessary actually.

Black_Widow9
11-05-2012, 07:25 AM
How do I move this thing to the Feedback forum? xD If it's possible for a moderator to move a thread, I'd be delighted if you could go ahead to just move it there instead of me reposting the same thread twice in two different forums. If that's not possible though, then I don't mind keeping up with both threads.
I'll just copy your quote for you. ;)

TlNSTAAFL
11-05-2012, 07:30 AM
I'll just copy your quote for you. ;)
You're awesome! Thanks a bunch! Here's to hoping they'll end up hearing us out. <3
I totally need to head over to that thread regardless. I'm interested in seeing other user-suggestions.
Think that'll be for tomorrow though. I'm spent.

CalgaryJay
11-05-2012, 07:44 AM
I think we are just gonna have to agree to disagree on this. I've had just about nearly the opposite experience that you've had with the mechanics and actually enjoy how everything looks. While, it isn't very "assassin" like, neither is hunting game, of the other side missions found throughout the world of AC III. To fulfill certain quotas marked in the game (trying not to spoil here), I found it very necessary actually.

You should look into his post more...

shobhit7777777
11-05-2012, 07:48 AM

While I really enjoyed the Naval battles and think that for once the Devs got a sidegame right....I have to agree with the above.

Assassin's Creed is the most schizophrenic game I've every played and this trend of shoehorning uber casual "Facebook" stuff and Michael Bay boom booms is only snowballing ...it started with AC2 and reached an obscenely high level in Revelations.....and the worst part is that community laps it up!

Assassin's Creed game moved from a serious, realistic stealth action game with game changing innovations to a run of the mill, super scripted, linear and boring experience....with immense amounts of fluff which has NOTHING to do with the core of the game....one revolving around Assassin's and their covert war

Farmville like micromanagement
Uncharted levels of cliched "Action" sequences
Handholding and scripted moments in the extreme...offering F-all freedom in terms of approach
Absolute 0 innovation in the CORE systems - AI and Stealth mechanics

Ask yourself this - do you want a play-by-the-numbers AC franchise which does nothing to improve its own formula?

We have seen minor additions post AC2...NOTHING has been done about the core systems. Effort is being poured into making wildlife and warships with the AI STILL being annoyingly dumb, stealth routines failing from a design perspective, tired old "Open world" tropes, poor mission design and structure.

I will settle for one city half the size of the Frontier if it is densely populated with fleshed out AI, massively improved stealth and social interaction mechanics and the smartest AI in the history of stealth games.

I want to roam around an open world, given/pick targets and take them out the way I want.....when I want. I want an improvement in the 'Assassin' part of 'Assassin's Creed'. I've had enough of scripted and linear moments borrowed from other games because I've already seen and done that!
I play AC because it promises a **** ton of freedom with an emphasis on sneakiness.

/rant

Blind2Society
11-05-2012, 07:49 AM
^ It's strange, off the bat I thought I disagreed, but the more I read the more I realised I agree with you a lot more than I originally thought.

The naval game is my favorite part of the series as well. I think they did a wonderful job and I'm hopeful for what the future may hold (a pirate, sandbox, Bethesda style RPG would be full of soooo much win Ubisoft would be out of their mind not to do it. Que TAKE MY MONEY.jpg). And DLC of course.

However, the naval mission I'm on now is causing me more frustration than I care to mention.

shaggy499
11-05-2012, 07:52 AM
I think they should add free roam in a dlc, and random enemys you can attack and board would be also fun.

blacklimoband
11-05-2012, 07:55 AM
~ Is a pirate game made of win within Ubisoft's grasp?

I'd say yes many times to this... I am loving the Naval battles. I have been a fan of the pirate/sailing genre for ever, and to date this is the best Naval combat I have experienced. Controls are logical, ship responds in the manner one would expect (as in doesn't turn on the spot, doesn't stop instantly etc) and the elevation of the water, waves etc dramatically effects your shooting accuracy. I would say top job Ubi.

If they were to make a pirate game I would love to see one where you could purchase or capture different ships (and upgrade them), build up a fleet, hire NPC captains to sail ships on your behalf (on background missions or actively in your flotilla), incorporate ship boarding and port sacking (using the melee and firearm combat elements from this game), maybe a little bit of ground-pounding just for a bit of a change of pace, and maybe even encourage legitimate trading as part of the ocean-going game... Individual weapon upgrades (pistols, cutlasses, sabers, rapiers, knives, axes etc), and utilize the assassin's guild concept for building your pirate brotherhood (select which brothers to crew your main ship, and captain and crew your other ships... or at least some key crew members, and generic cut-throats for the bulk of the crew)

shobhit7777777
11-05-2012, 08:01 AM
^ It's strange, off the bat I thought I disagreed, but the more I read the more I realised I agree with you a lot more than I originally thought.

The naval game is my favorite part of the series as well. I think they did a wonderful job and I'm hopeful for what the future may hold (a pirate, sandbox, Bethesda style RPG would be full of soooo much win Ubisoft would be out of their mind not to do it. Que TAKE MY MONEY.jpg). And DLC of course.

However, the naval mission I'm on now is causing me more frustration than I care to mention.

I'm glad you see my point.

I don't want to come off as a negative, cynical, jaded AC vet......I still love the franchise and AC3...the overall experience is available no where else. But I keep on getting disapointed with the lack of innovation on the actual "Game" parts of the game y'know....I'm playing it and in the back of my mind I keep going "Aw man what a missed oppurtunity!" "This could've been SOOO much more interesting!" or "Really?! Resetting AI routines after detection" "OH so this lone guard sees me and suddenly the entire fort is after me"

I'm all for adding meat to the game...naval battles, upgrading the 'Brotherhood' etc. but not at the expense of the core game.

As for the Naval missions - they indeed are awesome....THIS kind of "fluff" I enjoy...its complex and entertaining and a unique experience. Thumbs up.

rego00123
11-05-2012, 08:10 AM
anyone having issues with the navel missions. upgrade you boat parts. this is what you are mean tot be doing throughout the game, without doing this they become unnecessarily challenging.

Blind2Society
11-05-2012, 08:25 AM
I only upgraded my swivels and the extra wooden boards or whatever. Even if I hadn't I don't think it would change much. The thing that's crazy hard is the full sync on the mission I'm doing right now, and upgrades won't make it any easier.

blacklimoband
11-05-2012, 08:46 AM
Some of the constraints for full sync are totally asinine

"Do not kill any guards" wtf??? am I an assassin or not?

Nnamerif
11-05-2012, 08:56 AM

YOU sir have hit the nail on the head

pirate1802
11-05-2012, 09:05 AM
anyone having issues with the navel missions. upgrade you boat parts. this is what you are mean tot be doing throughout the game, without doing this they become unnecessarily challenging.

There are "navel" missions in AC3? O.o

blacklimoband
11-05-2012, 09:23 AM
There are "navel" missions in AC3? O.o

Indeed... I take it you haven't unlocked "The Gazer" yet?

Aphex_Tim
11-05-2012, 09:28 AM

http://lh3.ggpht.com/-0mzN_FZnycM/UA7nhFdkFBI/AAAAAAAABWY/c0R2jzeHSwI/Original%252520Oh%252520You%252521%25255B5%25255D. jpg

I actually thought of highlighting your post this time before taking it seriously. :p
I'm on to you.....

Matty7Ice
11-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Whoever thought the naval was clunky well then I liked the clunk. The naval portion was nice. I call one up for online play. I might actually be interested in participating more in online play if they did that.

pirate1802
11-05-2012, 09:37 AM
Indeed... I take it you haven't unlocked "The Gazer" yet?

This game just got moar interesting! xD

ACKERS-ARMY31
11-05-2012, 10:19 AM
Seriously naval battles are epic I love them the missions are so fun and challenging I just can't get enough it is so fun sinking ships by crashing into them hopefully Ubisoft makes it so you can do naval battles online in multiplayer as it would be epic, sucks you can't just free roam sinking ships or even better boarding merchant or redcoat vessels stealing loot, pillaging and making them walk the plank.

(for sheer epicness play a naval battle (preferably the one where you have to sink the 3 frigates in that storm) muted with the cool song from pirates of the caribbean up loud)

Markie577
11-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Yeah, Naval Warfare was awesome. And i can really picture an Assassin vs Templar story with it (though my story takes places during the discovery of the New World) Saving the islands from Templar influence and discovering an sunken Island from Those Who Came Before (hint hint)

TlNSTAAFL
11-05-2012, 05:33 PM

You've thought alot on this; haven't you. =O
I've decided to put this on my original post.

chrispile
11-05-2012, 06:11 PM
I absolutely love the naval missions and I know that you guys felt the same crushing disappointment when you got the achievement for completing all privateer missions. Speaking of the privateer missions, why did we not get paid for doing these? By the time I got a few decent upgrades for the ship I was very close to beating all of the missions.

Off the naval topic. I have never beat an assassin's creed game completely, but I almost guarantee that I could finish everything I have left in an hour or two. I want to get the "season pass" or whatever it's called, but I am not just gonna buy a few more missions.

I love the game but I feel that it is way too small. I don't play AC multiplayer so I feel that too many resources where put into that and I payed for that so others could enjoy.

TlNSTAAFL
11-05-2012, 06:14 PM
You should look into his post more...

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF O.O
I was in tears typing that reply back to his post too. He's mean.

TlNSTAAFL
11-06-2012, 04:32 AM
bump

rileypoole1234
11-06-2012, 04:41 AM

Oh M you joker!

I love the Naval Battles too, the water effects and the animations of everyone on the ship stand out to me as really, really good.

Sharkey1337
11-06-2012, 04:51 AM
Yeah, the Naval missions are my absolute favorite parts of AC3. I really hope next year's game will stick around the same time period and focus heavily on the Naval aspect. I would love to see Aveline from Liberations become a buccaneering assassin in the Carribeans.

TlNSTAAFL
11-06-2012, 05:59 AM
Yeah, the Naval missions are my absolute favorite parts of AC3. I really hope next year's game will stick around the same time period and focus heavily on the Naval aspect. I would love to see Aveline from Liberations become a buccaneering assassin in the Carribeans.
I'm wondering; with the fact that they removed Philadelphia from the game, if we'll even get a new city coming our way in the DLC. Them recreating New Orleans on the PS3 engine, would be ****ing awesome.

zhengyingli
11-07-2012, 09:39 PM
I'm wondering; with the fact that they removed Philadelphia from the game, if we'll even get a new city coming our way in the DLC. Them recreating New Orleans on the PS3 engine, would be ****ing awesome.

New city's a stretch. Maybe a new area like Da Vinci's Disappearance. I'm hoping one big naval area to explore a chain of islands for a specific treasure/person.