PDA

View Full Version : I can't see how people are complaining about AC3. (No spoilers)

Free_Hidings
11-05-2012, 05:58 AM
I guess I should clarify, there are no story spoilers, but some minor gameplay spoilers

Honestly, I have loved every AC game, and I think AC3 is an absolute masterpiece. There are so many things to love about it, despite a few glitches or omissions. I will try to list some that come to mind.

- Animations. The new animations for Connor really shine through. The game feels next gen compared to ACR and before, just from the animations. The climbing, the running, the combat... It's incredible, a significant upgrade that really makes this game feel special. The animations in the past were already fantastic, but now it's like a whole new level of greatness.

- Graphics. AC has always had great graphics in my opinion, but the detail on the faces and clothes of the main characters here is amazing. Revelations had it pretty **** good but this is clearly a step up. The environments have a much more organic and realistic feel compared to the slightly plasticky look in AC2-ACR.

- Performance. The game runs so smooth most of the time, especially considering how impressive the graphics are, and how huge the world actually is. I experience some slight frame drops in New York and Boston at the worst of times (Usually during guard chases) and even then it is highly manageable. In the Frontier and homestead, it is very impressive, looks like a flawless 30fps at least.

- Combat. Extremely cinematic, far less glitchy, more challenging than the others aside from possibly AC1, takes skill and yet is fair, and not frustrating. It actually feels the most balanced to me, though I am a huge fan of AC1 combat. With ACR you could kinda play with 1 hand, just mash mash mash square. Well I tried doing that today while eating and got promptly raped, it takes more concentration in AC3 and while it isn't always difficult, you can't get by without having your attention on what is going on, and this is really nice. Also with animals, I find it is a little bit too easy to win the QTE's, but again any momentary lapse in attention will leave you getting your face mauled, and you better hope you can mash well because your health will drain EXTREMELY fast. So basically you are allgood if you are focusing, but if you are not paying attention you can be messed up **** fast, which is really nice. The kill animations are so frickon cool, and I rarely get hit detection issues, unlike the previous games. Combat on slopes and stuff looks impeccable.

- Animals. So cool, seeing them running around and stuff. Seeing foxes hunting rabbits, then both fleeing as you approach... Seeing mooses (or elks?) butting heads, little things like that really bring the world to life. Though I do think the hidden blade kills are a little too easy. Love the alternative ways to hunt also (bait, snares etc)

- Trees and tree running. At first, I thought this was cool, but wasn't too bothered about it. I always enjoyed running / riding horses, so I wasn't going to take too much time to check out the trees, and I thought it might be a bit choppy. Boy was I wrong. The tree running is an absolute joy, I can't believe how smooth and fast it is. Really awesome, and I find the tree paths are obvious enough as to not cause frustrating moments searching, but also look fairly organic. I saw someone else complain about how fake they look, I personally think they are fine and have no worries about how they look, couldn't have been done much better IMO, only improvements I could really ask are more climbable trees (Maybe tree shimmying?) and more paths to follow.

- Weather / Seasons. Just plain impressive. The rain gives awesome looking wet textures on everything and Connors clothes appear to change as they get wet. Thunderstorms look awesome and dramatic. Winter is awesome with the snow, great animations and the imprints on the snow are really well done. Really gives you incentive to tree run or use horses too, love how you are hindered in deep snow. I think a nice touch would be health loss while swimming though, water must be asbolutely freezing!! The landscape just look beautiful in all seasons and weather conditions, and they really help to immerse me in the game. I especially love when it rains, the textures look so realistic.

- Story. Well, I won't go into detail, but I finally finished the main story and thought it was just incredible. I have no complaints, I don't know why people are upset about it. Nothing much to say, it was awesome, high quality stuff, with twists and surprises here and there to shake it up. Really, really satisfied, though sad moments along the way too ;'(
I found the long intro a bit annoying at first but still really enjoyed it, was just anxious to get into the proper part of the game, naturally. But on my second playthrough, I really am enjoying it. Such a great build up for an amazing game, well worth it.

- Gameplay elements. There are some things they added back in which I am absolutely thrilled about. Eavesdropping was extremely well implemented, with the range you have to stay in. As you get out of range the voices become muffled and harder to hear. Really well done, was even better than in AC1, and I really enjoyed it too. It's so much better in AC3 though because you have to actively stay in range while remaining undetected.

Pickpocketing also is like in AC1, really really love this as it felt far too cheap and easy in AC2 - ACR. Awesome to see the reach animation back and the looting circle to fill was a nice touch. Have to be really carefull now to do it without being detected. Also a note, when enemies or targets turn their heads, their vision actually turns too. In other games, the head turn might just be an animation, and their "sight" remains pointed forwards, so you could continue after them, however in AC3 they actually look back and you have to be ready to hide at a moments notice.

Moving assassinations are awesome, I walked through a group of guards slicing about 4 of them before they finally caught on and attacked. Doesn't feel too cheap, because he does it so fast and silent, and they detect you at a reasonable rate (Once they start noticing you can get another 1 or 2 stabs in before they realise) Other things like running assassinations, assassinations with other weapons, using poison knives or bow and arrow for stealth, corner stances and assassinations, whistling to lure guards... There are so many additions that just make this game feel incredible.

Caravans are cool, as are the random liberation missions and other side missions you encounter. Same with the homestead stuff. All the voice acting is really good too.

- Difficulty. It's seen a nice upgrade. Things are still achieveable but often much harder, without being glitchy. Just pure well balanced, challenging missions (trying to get full synch, usually the missions aren't too hard if you ignore the optional objectives) Guards still have their AI flaws but in general it takes more effort to remain undetected, and the difficulty has been increased. This is really welcomed. In my second playthrough I am going for 100% synch at all times, and the added pressure of trying to enter forts completely undetected and without killing guards for example really adds something special to the experience. I am taking my time to carefully infiltrate my way through, rather than getting impatient and just charging in and killing everyone. Immersion levels through the roof.

- Horses. They can gallop again in Homestead and Fronteir :D The whole "spur" thing is cool, makes sense that the horse can't gallop indefinately. I tend to notice how Connor can sprint forever, it might be more realistic to force him to slow down here and there but overall I prefer him being superman :)

- Setting / layout. Honestly I can't believe how well they did with the design of the game world. The Frontier is immense and varied. The homestead is similar, not quite so large, but has cool little variations too, especially when you start renovating. Boston and New York are much larger than I expected, again beautifully designed and PLENTY OF ROOFING TO BE HAD :D

- Remapping of buttons. I know some hate this, but it seems so logical to me. X to push people out the way makes complete sense. Circle for pickpocket matches circle for looting. The combat commands feel completely natural, though I liked it just fine in the previous games, this way is also great. The only problem I have is not being able to offensively grab people.

R1 to automatic free run, I'm a bit mixed on this. Overall, I like it, though it is annoying when trying to drop down, you instead launch off onto another wall or something. You can hold R1 and O to drop, it just takes a moment for me to do this, just need to get into the habit of it. Nearly there now :)

I sound like the biggest fanboy and maybe I am, but really this game has completely blown me away. Well done Ubisoft, incredible.

Now just for good measure, a few flaws:

- Lack of music. Always loved the music, especially when roaming. Kinda miss it, though it does feel cool to just hear the sounds of the forest. Intermittent music would be the best.

- Enemy AI and animals. Can be challenging, but often still a bit too easy. a 4 button QTE for bear attacks, for example, would spice it up. Also less time to react. Muskets are really innaccurate a lot of the time, might be realistic but when Connor uses one he never misses so a bit of balance would be cool. Actually come to think of it, confrontations with the more elite enemy types can get overwhelming, which is great. But definately the animals need a little more danger to them.

- Occasional glitches and bugs, nothing significant really

- Horses can get stuck and spazz out, annoying

- Slight frame rate drops in cities, would rather have less civilians and better frame rate (the streets are literally teeming with civilians and guards, which is really cool, but I would not complain if some dissappeared when the frame rate dropped) But my frame rate drops are bearable at worst, so I imagine I have it pretty good compared to some.

- Some animations for things like courier missions would be appreciated, but not nessecary.

There are more issues with the game but off the top of my head that's all. Would have to be my favourite / most rewarding game I have played thus far, which is saying a lot.

Legendz54
11-05-2012, 05:58 AM
They are noob trolls..

Assassin_M
11-05-2012, 06:01 AM
They are complaining, because they have an Opinion.

SOME have been very good criticizers while others not so much, but we HAVE to look at them. its our choice whether we can tolerate it or not..

Free_Hidings
11-05-2012, 06:16 AM
I'm not saying the game is flawless. I am just saying that it is so well excecuted and enjoyable for me to play that any issues just seem so insignificant, and while notable, hardly ruin the game at all for me.

Assassin_M
11-05-2012, 06:20 AM
I'm not saying the game is flawless. I am just saying that it is so well excecuted and enjoyable for me to play that any issues just seem so insignificant, and while notable, hardly ruin the game at all for me.
I too have issues with the game, but I enjoyed it too much to actually look at those as something game breaking..

pirate1802
11-05-2012, 06:23 AM
OP, your words make me sad.

Because it reminds me there's still a lot of days before I can get my hands on this game!!

Free_Hidings
11-05-2012, 06:27 AM
I too have issues with the game, but I enjoyed it too much to actually look at those as something game breaking..

Exactly. It baffles me that people are so wound up because "the controls changed"... Really it seems like people are either desperate to find faults in the game or they set their expectations way too high (understable, the game was VERY well hyped, though imo it surpassed the hype, despite several omissions) Personally I actually prefer the new controls.

OP, your words make me sad.

Because it reminds me there's still a lot of days before I can get my hands on this game!!

Sorry sir! Only like 2 weeks now isn't it? Don't let the others discourage you, the game is amazing, from start to finish. I also loved the ending, though many appear to not share my opinion.

If only we had a new world order, we wouldn't have these differences in opinions ;)

Assassin_M
11-05-2012, 06:28 AM
Exactly. It baffles me that people are so wound up because "the controls changed"... Really it seems like people are either desperate to find faults in the game or they set their expectations way too high (understable, the game was VERY well hyped, though imo it surpassed the hype, despite several omissions) Personally I actually prefer the new controls.

Sorry sir! Only like 2 weeks now isn't it? Don't let the others discourage you, the game is amazing, from start to finish. I also loved the ending, though many appear to not share my opinion.

If only we had a new world order, we wouldn't have these differences in opinions ;)
Indeed..

Where do I sign up for the Templar cause ? It`s starting to sound so much better..

Free_Hidings
11-05-2012, 06:30 AM
Edited out spoiler. Don't want to ruin it. If you saw it then you will understand.

Assassin_M
11-05-2012, 06:32 AM
Edited out spoiler. Don't want to ruin it. If you saw it then you will understand.
Makes sense :P

pirate1802
11-05-2012, 06:33 AM
Yeah I already saw the ending :D Anyways, Templar for life xD

Free_Hidings
11-05-2012, 06:35 AM
Yeah I already saw the ending :D Anyways, Templar for life xD

Spoiler was from sequence 3 haha, but you already saw the ending? :( I'm glad I dodged spoilers till the end!

May the father of understanding guide us.

CalgaryJay
11-05-2012, 06:37 AM
Great post, completely agree on likes and your few critiques at the end - except for frame rate drops in cities, mine's running fine.

Just got to New York for the first time & my jaw dropped when I was trotting on horseback down Wall Street, it looks incredible! Wanted to just snoop around but it was mid mission, leading to that Hickey chase. Man is that one frustrating by the way..

pirate1802
11-05-2012, 06:38 AM
Spoiler was from sequence 3 haha, but you already saw the ending? :( I'm glad I dodged spoilers till the end!

May the father of understanding guide us.

I.. know the sequence 3 spoiler too.. Sucks to be me :S

Assassin_M
11-05-2012, 06:39 AM
What is it that you did not watch xD

I only knew the ending :P

JonnyisNQ
11-05-2012, 06:40 AM
Only two things I could complain about would be the numerous glitches I'v encountered, and the lack of replayablity once you get 100% sync, seriously you have this big beautiful map with nothing to do, no random encounters, nothing, hope they do something for a dlc.

Legendz54
11-05-2012, 06:40 AM

I thought the whole game was spoiled when i found out the ending... but as i played through connors story i started to care less about it.

pirate1802
11-05-2012, 06:44 AM

I only know about the sequence 3 thing, and the ending. Though I haven't actually watched a single AC III video, I've only read stuff about them. xD

NucaCola
11-05-2012, 06:52 AM
Am I the only one who was a little surprised that there was no Philadelphia to visit in AC3?

Assassin_M
11-05-2012, 06:54 AM
Am I the only one who was a little surprised that there was no Philadelphia to visit in AC3?
Yes..

They already said that they removed Philly a ling time ago

Free_Hidings
11-05-2012, 06:56 AM
Great post, completely agree on likes and your few critiques at the end - except for frame rate drops in cities, mine's running fine.

Just got to New York for the first time & my jaw dropped when I was trotting on horseback down Wall Street, it looks incredible! Wanted to just snoop around but it was mid mission, leading to that Hickey chase. Man is that one frustrating by the way..

Thanks man, remember I said it was bearable at worst, in other words the frame drops aren't that bad. Just noticably less smooth than in Frontier. I am actually amazed at how smooth the game runs, considering the size and all the stuff going on with weather, civilians, detailed graphics etc. Yeah New York looks awesome!

You nosey? Couldn't resist poking around? Or did someone unfairly spoil it for you? =\ I almost got too nosy but managed to skim past spoilers, a few close calls I'm sure. But don't worry, the gameplay itself is worth it. I am on my second playthrough now and it is still extremely enjoyable even though I have seen all the plot twists and such. The journey itself is great :)

Only two things I could complain about would be the numerous glitches I'v encountered, and the lack of replayablity once you get 100% sync, seriously you have this big beautiful map with nothing to do, no random encounters, nothing, hope they do something for a dlc.

I can see a lack of replayability being a problem for some, it's kinda the nature of this kind of game which is so story based, it excells while playing through but once you have done it all there's not much to keep you there. I feel the tree running and combat adds a little to it, but overall I agree. However with the upcoming DLC's it should give us an excuse to play a bit longer, and the MP is reaaallly fun if you're into that.

Radman500
11-05-2012, 07:03 AM
because its not a real stealth game or a real assassination game

its no where near as good as hitman

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bc/HitmanAbsolutionPackArt.jpg

NucaCola
11-05-2012, 07:07 AM
Yes..

They already said that they removed Philly a ling time ago

They DID? Huh, that's the first time I heard of this.
Why? Too much data?

Assassin_M
11-05-2012, 07:09 AM
They DID? Huh, that's the first time I heard of this.
Why? Too much data?
No..

They said that at the time, the streets of Philly were too grid to make gameplay compelling there, because they did not want to add something just for the sake of it..

pirate1802
11-05-2012, 07:10 AM
ou nosey? Couldn't resist poking around? Or did someone unfairly spoil it for you? =\ I almost got too nosy but managed to skim past spoilers, a few close calls I'm sure. But don't worry, the gameplay itself is worth it. I am on my second playthrough now and it is still extremely enjoyable even though I have seen all the plot twists and such. The journey itself is great :)

The sequence three thing was spoiled for me by a console friend.. >.> Well I dunno who spoiled, he showed me a gameplay pic with Haythan in it and I pretty much guessed the rest :S
The ending I was spoiled for, while browsing BioWare forums, believe it or not >_<

The journey is indeed where the heart of AC lies. That soaring over Venice in Leo's machine, that looking over Constantinopoli from atop Hagia Sofia.. no one can spoil that for you unless you play it yourself :D

pirate1802
11-05-2012, 07:11 AM
because its not a real stealth game or a real assassination game

its no where near as good as hitman

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bc/HitmanAbsolutionPackArt.jpg

Its an action adventure game. Wiki pretty much says it. :D

Assassin_M
11-05-2012, 07:12 AM
Its an action adventure game. Wiki pretty much says it. :D
Ignore... Just ignore this sad person..

Black_Widow9
11-05-2012, 07:37 AM
Can we please get back on topic...

Caboose2012
11-25-2012, 11:29 PM
FINALLY, someone who agrees, yes there are A LOT of bugs, but you know what else had bugs....SKYRIM, but EVERYONE kisses that games ***. I'm all for constructive criticism, and there are SOME who do that, most of it is just whining.