View Full Version : Funny one-sided email from Shaun to Desmond... [spoilers]

adamsocal
11-04-2012, 10:30 PM
Love the silly emails from Shaun...from in-game email:

"SHAUNE HASTINGS
AMERICAN POLITICS
Sent Nov. 28th, 2012 06:14
To D. Miles"

“You know, it’s rather incredible the way your lunatic fringe tries to conjure the “spirit” of the Founding Fathers to support their various causes. And by incredible I mean hilarious. They hold up slave-owning, sexist, homophobes as if that’s some sort of ideal to which one should aspire.

Oh - and in case you think I added that last bit for fun (as the sexism and slavery bits are already common knowledge): sodomy was a criminal offense in every one of the thirteen colonies except for Georgia and Thomas Jefferson (‘champion’ of personal liberty that he was) advocated for the castration of homosexuals. Lovely fellows, these founding fathers of yours. And now there’s that new bit of madness with people asking for the removal of textbook references to their slave-owning…

And before you think to turn back ‘round and (rightly) point out their barbarism was inspired by English law - last I checked, two stupids don’t make a smart. I thought the whole point of the Revolution was to break free of the old ways… And it certainly doesn’t recommend your founders as the sort of persons one should aspire to become. Unless you aspire to become a manipulative bigot.

Lest you think I’m championing some sort of leftist agenda, I’ll gladly shame the internet tough guys who celebrate the Treaty of Tripoli as well. Shame on them for thinking it shows anything other than something taken straight out of The First Grader’s Guide to International Relations… Its intent wasn’t to prove America wasn’t a Christian nation. They were saying they weren’t going to reignite the Crusades. No, that would be delayed for a couple of centuries. Now, I don’t believe your founding fathers wanted to establish a theocracy. And they probably did intend for the country to be welcoming of all religions. But this isn’t proof of that.

I suppose the point I’m trying to make is that people might want to spend a little less time romanticizing and manipulating the past (fat chance, that) and a bit more time focusing on how to improve the future (fatter chance still).

That’s not say there isn’t plenty to be learned from looking back - because there is! It’s just that most of those lessons wind up ignored or perverted these days. At best it’s disingenuous and unproductive. At worst (and often) it’s rather dangerous.”

LOL. Is he really trying to use, the outlawing of "sodomy" as an example of the US's history of intolerance?

Tubaplyr89
11-08-2012, 01:39 PM
I think he is just trying to justify his calling the founders homophobes with that example.

NumberSix1967
11-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Sean's logic was as ridiculous as it was sound. It's very easy to assign modern day principles in the name of liberality, to any one person, society or system that came before. In doing so you're almost holding the past in some kind of contempt, with little regard for maybe the why and the how of the times. I think Sean was designed to be a bit hardcore liberal. Of course there's nothing politically liberal in the condemnation of slavery; it's just not a cool thing to do in any way regardless of your politics. But that's the point: in the same way some can cite ridiculous examples of ultra-liberality, some can cite ridiculous examples of ultra-conservatism. The lines have been blurred by politics as to what morality is. The best thing you can do is just not be a massive d***. Sean was a smug sod at first, and kind of grated but I came to like him and his conversations in all the games were of good value and content.