PDA

View Full Version : This game makes me want to watch a war movie. Suggestions?

IamchaossthoughT
11-03-2012, 11:14 PM
:cool:

I don't even know if there is a war movie focused on the American Revolution (not counting the fun, yet terribly inaccurate The Patriot with Mel "Crazy Eyes" Gibson).

What do you all think? I'd prefer some great action as well as some drama.

I was thinking about Saving Private Ryan, b/c I haven't seen that since theaters (I know, I know...), but am not dead-set on that yet.

Happy Saturday! =)

Tyradd
11-04-2012, 02:17 PM
You gotta watch The Patriot with Mel Gibson considering it's the most fitting war movie for AC3

Silhouelle
11-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Last of the Mohicans (may not be spelt correctly :b). Its set during the same time, has natives in it and how they side with the Brits and so on. Its mostly a backdrop though, the actual story is very much centered around a group of 3, two of which are natives and the 3rd is an adopted son. Fits very nicely in with AC3 as there is hunting, the war, native battle and language (dunno how accurate), some romance for those interested, etc.

The lead actor is played by Daniel Day Lewis, by the way, so that alone makes it worth the watch. Very good actor. ^^

IamchaossthoughT
11-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Last of the Mohicans (may not be spelt correctly :b). Its set during the same time, has natives in it and how they side with the Brits and so on. Its mostly a backdrop though, the actual story is very much centered around a group of 3, two of which are natives and the 3rd is an adopted son. Fits very nicely in with AC3 as there is hunting, the war, native battle and language (dunno how accurate), some romance for those interested, etc.

The lead actor is played by Daniel Day Lewis, by the way, so that alone makes it worth the watch. Very good actor. ^^

Oh, good idea. I just may do that this evening. Thanks, mate.

BeCk41
11-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Glory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glory_(1989_film)) - you'll thank me later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XuUGD7aa3E
I think this takes place during the Civil War, but plot seems to be similar to AC3
http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/employed/gangster.gif

WilderaWild
11-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Lincoln is coming out in several days

CalgaryJay
11-04-2012, 06:01 PM
You gotta watch The Patriot with Mel Gibson considering it's the most fitting war movie for AC3

Random fact, Mel Gibson passed up the leading role in Gladiator to do that movie. Not that Patriot was bad or anything, but I bet he'd take that one back if he could.

yoshiyukily
11-04-2012, 06:25 PM
I know this isn't the exact time period, but AC3 gave me a real "Gangs of New York" feel at times. You should check it out if you haven't seen it.

vorenus73
11-04-2012, 08:26 PM

Agreed, AC3 reminds me SO MUCH of Last of the Mohicans.
LOTM main character Hawkeye is really similar to Connor. He is a white guy raised by Indians, not half English/half Indian, but the whole "I belong in two worlds" thing is still there nonetheless. Actually, young, pre Assassin robe Connor looks a lot like Hawkeye in LOTM.

I swear I think AC3 took some kill animations from HAwkeye. They're so similar.

Also Mohicans has in my opinion the best movie soundtrack of all time, which alone makes it worth watching.

silvermercy
11-04-2012, 09:47 PM
The mini TV series 'North and South' starring Patrick Swayze which takes place before/during the civil war. I remember being very excited watching it as a little kid. The era and atmosphere is very reminiscent of AC3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_and_South_%28TV_miniseries%29

reddragonhrcro
11-04-2012, 10:19 PM

THIS!

Tomahawk killing time!