PDA

View Full Version : Whistle/Flute Noise in Frontier

Phobos14
11-03-2012, 04:47 PM
I have searched near and far for this on google, this forum and a few others.

While traveling the frontier what is the whistling, or flute sound you hear? It happens in specific spots which leads me to believe that it is more than just a sound effect. I had a theory that it means there is animals near by but that isn't always true. I've stopped a few times after i have heard the noise and looked around with eagle vision as well and haven't noticed anything significant other than an animal or another human near by.

I spend a lot of time in the wilderness hunting and know my bird sounds and this doesn't sound like a bird. More like a flute of some sort. Anyone else have any ideas? I couldn't find anything in the guide about it. At least in the pages i have read as i try and not read too much to eliminate spoilers.

Forgive me if i missed it some where. Its frustrating to google because all the results deal with the horse whistle and i dont need to know how that works. In fact, i hate the horse ;)

sh4dow6unny
11-03-2012, 11:19 PM
bumping this, i'd like to know if anyone figured it out. i think it has something to do with being close to one of those peg leg trinkets, as it's normally done it while i'm near one. however, i'm not sure.

ZBurris
11-03-2012, 11:28 PM
I believe it's a bird

JonnyisNQ
11-03-2012, 11:32 PM
I know what you mean its like a native american flute call of some sort, no idea what it means though I thought it to just be a sound effect with no significance.

pablo2977
11-04-2012, 12:15 AM
I think it is for when I heard it I was attacked by wolves but it could be a accident

ZBurris
11-04-2012, 12:49 AM
trust me, it's a bird

Phobos14
11-04-2012, 01:09 AM
I have heard it more often than the missions for peg leg. They play at flute at his village that sounds like it makes that noise. I have also heard it right before i came across my first pack of wolves.

I am sure it will end up being a bird cause nothing is ever said about it but i would still like to know what bird. Its cool :)

Trooper0606
11-04-2012, 01:22 AM
It's the elk... Hard to believe but that's all you hear during mating season in real life... Such an odd sound coming from a large animal.

ZBurris
11-04-2012, 01:29 AM
It's the elk... Hard to believe but that's all you hear during mating season in real life... Such an odd sound coming from a large animal.

you're right actually. i stand corrected

here's a vid example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYzWmKlZtrU

interesting topic...learn something every day i guess

Phobos14
11-04-2012, 02:24 AM
Definitely isnt the same sound. I just heard it. Has three pitches. This time in the middle of the night as a approach Fort Dubusque fromt the north. I originally thought that when i heard a different set of notes that only had two pitches but it definitely isnt that sound.

AWBiggs
11-04-2012, 03:38 AM
That "whistle" sound signifies you're near a view sync-point.... (you'll be within visual distance of the "eagle" logo on the map, basically)

Phobos14
11-04-2012, 03:54 AM
That "whistle" sound signifies you're near a view sync-point.... (you'll be within visual distance of the "eagle" logo on the map, basically)

I think you are thinking of the eagle screech which is a completely different sound. Ive been both near view points and now when i have heard it.

I am sorry i cant explain it better. I do spend a lot of time in the frontier ;)

CalgaryJay
11-04-2012, 03:56 AM
Not sure if I'm thinking of the same sound, but there's a whistly nature noise whenever a "magic moment" happens around you...it's when animals do a special thing, like 2 elks butting heads, 2 bear cubs playing, etc. Its to let you know to look for it.

I love those, hate when I hear that sound but can't find the animals.

Cristari
11-04-2012, 04:00 AM
It's ambient background noise, just enjoy it!

Phobos14
11-04-2012, 04:19 AM
Not sure if I'm thinking of the same sound, but there's a whistly nature noise whenever a "magic moment" happens around you...it's when animals do a special thing, like 2 elks butting heads, 2 bear cubs playing, etc. Its to let you know to look for it.

I love those, hate when I hear that sound but can't find the animals.

Yeah i was thinking a long those lines. I just came back to post a picture of where i heard the sound. And i ran their on purpose cause i always hear it there. Before i could upload the picture i read your post, looked around and theirs a fawn playing with a doe.

Its straight you get into the homestead from the frontier, LoF off the log and then west there is a V shaped ree, you know the one ;)

The first image is the map screen so you can see where the homestead is and my icon where i am resting in the tree in the lower left corner.
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/2223/img5580p.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/141/img5580p.jpg/)

Second image is the baby deer after reading Jays post.
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/6292/img5581h.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/211/img5581h.jpg/)

Sorry if they are two small the other size just made the screen look stupid.

CalgaryJay
11-04-2012, 04:56 AM
Ya I know that spot, I spend a ridiculous amount of time in the Frontier too, so impressed with the job they did.

Just noticed in the Homestead the misty rainbow above the waterfall, that blew my mind!

sh4dow6unny
11-04-2012, 03:30 PM
the sound in game doesn't sound like the bull elk. upon playing more, i'm like 99% sure that sound goes off when undiscovered wildlife is near you, or maybe just wildlife in general.

AllThatJuice
11-04-2012, 03:49 PM
I thought about this aswell...But whilsts doin the encyclopedia of the comman man mission, Im pretty sure the noise played to signal the change in time (sun rise, mid-day, sun set etcetc)...though im not 100%

Phobos14
11-04-2012, 04:16 PM
I thought about this aswell...But whilsts doin the encyclopedia of the comman man mission, Im pretty sure the noise played to signal the change in time (sun rise, mid-day, sun set etcetc)...though im not 100%

Interesting. Probably easy to test but because i can go to the same spots and hear it every time i am not sure if thats it. However, there is multiple "songs" that are played and maybe one has to do with time change, one is unique animals events, and i believe there is a third has to do with something else. Ill have to pay attention which "song" is played when i hear it and take note of location, approximate time, and any animals near by.

Mr_Shade
11-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Hi Guys - if you hear that sound.. Stop and look around - you may find an animal you have yet to discover.. maybe ;)

AllThatJuice
11-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Was watching my bro play earlier...That sound played just as he stumbled upon a deer and its cub (is cub the right phrasing?)..So maybe it played because it was a unique event? Or perhaps its because he hadnt yet discovered deers in that area, like Shade said.

But that sound has also played when I was in the homestead (the part with all the houses and stuff)...So it cant have played due to because of an undiscovered animal, as there arent any animals in that area.

Mr_Shade
11-04-2012, 07:34 PM
The post I made, is the official reason ;)

Phobos14
11-05-2012, 01:52 AM
There is actually a lot of different animal types in the homestead. the animals with long teeth and a flat tail that chew down trees, wolf, fox, hare, deer, raccoon, and elk. I think thats all of them. And a baby deer is called a fawn ;)

Its not just for new animals being discovered. Like i said in the post where i included pictures i went to an area i always hear the sound and their was a deer, which i have discovered there many times. this time however it was with its Fawn which is unique cause you never usually see baby deer.

Ill have a chance to play a bit tomorrow and ill make a list of the two or three songs that are heard ;)

BDuncan29
11-20-2012, 11:36 PM
I think it's just a warning to pay attention. i.e. animals, enemies, etc.

Kfcrsh
11-21-2012, 12:09 AM
Haha, yeah that is an Elk

Pugzi
12-28-2012, 08:35 PM
I am 90% certain now that the native whistle call is highlighting to you a nearby location where you can gain access to tree free running. Like a fallen tree log or a group of stones. these are access points to "tree running" So far all those calls have been tree access locations. Try it and see. Good luck

MT4K
12-28-2012, 09:06 PM
I am 90% certain now that the native whistle call is highlighting to you a nearby location where you can gain access to tree free running. Like a fallen tree log or a group of stones. these are access points to "tree running" So far all those calls have been tree access locations. Try it and see. Good luck

Then you would be 90% wrong.

It's 100% an indication that animals are interacting or doing something nearby for you to witness.

BrookeLynn44
12-29-2012, 05:04 PM
Guys I think the whistle is to signify the time change in the game. For example the shift from morning to afternoon to evening.

Mr_Shade
12-29-2012, 06:50 PM
It's 100% an indication that animals are interacting or doing something nearby for you to witness.

Indeed it is ;)

It's a Magic Moment - something is happening around you - or - it's a new animal ;)

pacmanate
12-29-2012, 06:58 PM
For anyone wondering, the whistling indicates a tribe catching pray. Go find one, it is a secret achievement!!

Pugzi
12-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Then you would be 90% wrong.

It's 100% an indication that animals are interacting or doing something nearby for you to witness..

Ok, after a 16 hour marathon session I think your right. In only one instance I could not find said animals being funky. Although on another point the whistles seem to happen in the same places..

Anyone tried killing those squirrels in the trees, no luck yet, like the rats, their not "selectable"

montagemik
12-30-2012, 07:16 PM

Ok, after a 16 hour marathon session I think your right. In only one instance I could not find said animals being funky. Although on another point the whistles seem to happen in the same places..

Anyone tried killing those squirrels in the trees, no luck yet, like the rats, their not "selectable"

Yeah , i tried & NO you can't kill em with anything . But you can squash the rats by stepping on them.

MT4K
12-30-2012, 08:01 PM

Btw sorry if last post seemed a tad rude or anything. Was meant more in jest than anything. Guess i should have put a smiley though looking back at it lol.

As for them happening in all the same places i haven't really noticed to be honest. Next time i play i'll experiment a bit with that. I usually just wander around doing other things and will hear the sound so it always seemed random enough to me :).

MUNGRELL79
01-09-2013, 11:34 PM
Ive just been on youtube an listened to Elk mating calls. I dont think the whistle/ flute sound is wildlife. Plus I hear it when there is no elk around.I think it swhen you pass over the boundery lines and there are still species to discover. things we do for our love of gaming. If anyone gets an official answer be sure to share.

Crynevermore
05-23-2013, 11:19 PM
According to my experience, i think that's a signal that tells you that there are animals interacting near. Like a bear hunting fish or a deer with her baby. The variation of the rythm depends of what kind of animal is, if is an agressive one (like a wolf) or inoffensive (like a cat). This flute/whistle applies for any kind of animal, whether is a pet or a wild animal. Hope that helps :D.
And sorry if my english is bad.

MasterfulList53
05-24-2013, 12:59 AM
Funny, I thought the chime went off once at midday and once at midnight. It's been dozens of hours since I found all the animals in the frontier and I still regularly hear the sound, so the official explanation seems a little off. Maybe a bug I suppose.

brandon.faolan
06-17-2018, 01:19 PM
bumping this, i'd like to know if anyone figured it out. i think it has something to do with being close to one of those peg leg trinkets, as it's normally done it while i'm near one. however, i'm not sure.

It is not a bird, and for heavens sake!
Native American Whistle/Flute Sound? (xpost from AC3)
Can someone please tell me what the native american flute/whistle noise indicates? I've heard it in both the frontier and homestead, especially in the western side of the homestead, where it happens constantly, oftentimes one right after another. I keep searching, using eagle vision, climbing things... nothing of note is ever revealed. Not knowing what it is for is driving me nuts. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: I am not referring to the horse whistle that Connor makes.

Solved - From Ubisoft: "The noise signals the presence of a predator nearby." It seems so obvious now. Ran around for an hour after seeing this, and sure enough, every time there is the sound, a wolf, bobcat, cougar, bear, etc. is close.