PDA

View Full Version : [Spoilers] Anyone else disappointed with the anti-British gameplay elements?

william.berry
11-03-2012, 12:56 AM
I love the game (so far) but I am actually quite disappointed with the game's strongly pro-American perspective, especially as the devs said that this would not be the case. I was hoping the game would not simply label the British as the primary antagonists, and go back to Assassin's creed 1's style of moral ambiguity -- where crusaders, saracens and others were all templars and assassins. It seems that the developers have decided instead to do a slightly more toned-down version of "The Patriot" and stuck in a lot of american flag waving and redcoat killing in various gameplay elements.

I'll give an example: Templar Forts

Apparently these forts are filled with Templars, or at least house one important templar. Therefore, the game requires you to sneak in and murderise the templars and shut down the fort. sounds fair right. However what this actually entails is just a massive redcoat massacre and helping the American rebels, and no templar killing in sight. You do three things: 1) kill the Captain of the fort (no indication that he is a templar with evil templar plots) 2) blow up the powder magazine and then 3) take down the Union flag and RAISE THE COLONIAL ONE?. (I'm surprised there isn't a button prompt to salute the thing and hum "star spangled banner".) You are then treated to a cut-scene where the British troops are marched out of the fort while being insulted by American militia. -- job done. It's made pretty clear through this that the British are simply "the bad guys" to killed indiscriminately regardless of whether they are templars or not. I expect this kind of simplicity from point and click adventures like COD and BF3, but not from a developer who advertises plot complexity and moral ambiguity.

I guess I'm just disappointed as the developers promised to avoid this kind of black and white British = templars and Americans = assassins, but they've decided to stick it in anyway. I feel a little bit robbed because I'm not sure I would have bought the game had I known it would be this black and white. As I've said, I've always bought the Assassins creed games for their interesting plot lines behind historical characters, and the moral ambiguity -- something it seems this game lacks (again so far).

Anyone else feel the same as me? or the opposite?

DinoSteve1
11-03-2012, 01:01 AM
meh, I don't really feel is was anti-british

NinjaOnFire
11-03-2012, 01:04 AM
As long as I get to murder people in droves. Pity you can't kill civilians.

Muzza8391
William are you English?

Assassin_M
Finish the Game, come back here...

Jexx21
11-03-2012, 01:09 AM
The Templars are primarily located in the ranks of the British Empire; they have more money and resources. Also, in a war the Templars will take up the guise of a specific military group, and the higher ranked Templars will infiltrate the other side. Also the British Empire wasn't always a nice bunch.

NinjaOnFire
11-03-2012, 01:11 AM
The Templars are primarily located in the ranks of the British Empire; they have more money and resources. Also, in a war the Templars will take up the guise of a specific military group, and the higher ranked Templars will infiltrate the other side. Also the British Empire wasn't always a nice bunch.

No Empire is particularly nice.

william.berry
11-03-2012, 01:51 AM
@Muzza8391 Yeah, I'm English - Scottish and Irish parents though :P. @Jexx21: I don't mind that the Templars infiltrated the British Army etc, makes sense in the ways you have described. However its says they infiltrated the British army, not that they ARE the British Army. So in my opinion the game shouldnt have you murdering the occupants of a British fort just so you can help the American army. That makes the game into the Americans vs British story that Ubisoft said it wouldn't be. To be clear, I wouldn't mind it at all if the game asked you to assassinate some British generals in the fort (with the instruction that they were templars), or if there was an american controlled fort filled with templars that you had to clear out in the same manner as the British one. That would make it an assassins vs templars.

Assassin_M
11-03-2012, 01:54 AM
@Muzza8391 Yeah, I'm English - Scottish and Irish parents though :P. @Jexx21: I don't mind that the Templars infiltrated the British Army etc, makes sense in the ways you have described. However its says they infiltrated the British army, not that they ARE the British Army. So in my opinion the game shouldnt have you murdering the occupants of a British fort just so you can help the American army. That makes the game into the Americans vs British story that Ubisoft said it wouldn't be. To be clear, I wouldn't mind it at all if the game asked you to assassinate some British generals in the fort (with the instruction that they were templars), or if there was an american controlled fort filled with templars that you had to clear out in the same manner as the British one. That would make it an assassins vs templars.
It does not instruct you to kill EVERYONE..

UrDeviant1
11-03-2012, 01:57 AM
I love the game (so far)

Finish the game.

Toa TAK
11-03-2012, 02:14 AM
If anything, this game was anti-everybody. Even Templars and Assassins.

DinoSteve1
11-03-2012, 02:15 AM
How was it Anti-Assassins, although there was very little of the creed in this game.

BlackRose1809
11-03-2012, 02:24 AM
How was it Anti-Assassins, although there was very little of the creed in this game.

Mostly because it was just Connor and Achilles, and no going to the creed, it was mostly, screw the British and the Americans, screw the templars and the assassins, all I want is to save my people.

DinoSteve1
11-03-2012, 02:29 AM
lol Assassin's Creed: Dances with Wolves.

antiher0z
11-03-2012, 02:38 AM
It's an American Revolutionary war based game...what do you expect? Someone needs to be the bad guy. The fact is, you weren't paying attention. Not only is this game not anti-British, the game seems to suggest that the Americans were perhaps the real bad guys. The Americans are just as bad as the British. For example when Connor is in the court house, and he spoke with someone (don't remember who) about turning the war into a story, that the war is fought also to win the hearts and minds of the people. But basically the americans wanted to falsify British efforts, to make them look worse. And what about the epilogue. About how the Americans are now expanding, and selling land instead of taxes. The game is suggesting that Connor only helped to replace one monster with another monster. Nothing anti-British there.

Not once did I pick up that the British soldiers were portrayed as being cruel or at least more cruel than the revolutionary soldiers. Watch the Patriot, then play this game, and tell me this was anti-British. They could have gone a much uglier route like that movie did (burning down a church filled with people) but they didn't. But the fact is if you want to look for something to complain about, you'll find it.

projectpat06
11-03-2012, 02:52 AM
For the OP, I understand where you're coming from on the forts thinking it's antibritish, but Assassin's Creed is about retelling history with fictional explanations on why things happened. The patriots were vastly outnumbered and all the forts were controlled by the british. Considering the odds against the rebels, the loyalists and british military should have smothered the patriots so it was very unlikely that America was created. Connor going into these forts to eliminate the templar threat and in turn the british troops underneath the Templar power makes for a good explanation of how the Patriots actually won the war. Connor's battle with the templars ultimately and unintentionally turned the tides. I'm only on sequence 9 but I imagine it will be less and less pro patriot. I already dislike the patriots because of the templar influence where i'm at in the story.

Crazy_Vantage
11-03-2012, 02:53 AM
Why shouldn't it be anti colonial-Britain?

BBALive
11-03-2012, 02:55 AM
You should probably keep playing before you make that judgement. Also, they portray the Templars in a way similar to AC1, as opposed to the way they were portrayed in AC2, Brotherhood and Revelations.

william.berry
11-03-2012, 08:54 PM
I'd just like to point out my initial problem -- anti-British gameplay elements -- and note that I dont think the entirety of the story and characters are/will be anti-british. Therefore its a bit pointless to tell me to finish the game, in all probability the story will be anti-american and anti-british in equal amount, however I'm saying that some of the gameplay is too pro-american anti-british for my taste.

@antiher0z : I don't think there needs to be a bad guy, a story like assassins creed is much better if its full of complex morally ambiguous characters (like the real historical people actually were). The AC games would be much worse if all the characters were arbitrarilly labelled "good guy" or "bad guy" regardless of their real life counterparts characteristics. (the same goes for the two opposing armies -- neither one was completely good or bad) As you've said though, I havent finished the game, so I'll reserve more judgement until I've seen how the gameplay is at the end of the story.

SquarePolo27
11-03-2012, 09:02 PM
This argument again...

BBALive
11-03-2012, 09:58 PM
I'd just like to point out my initial problem -- anti-British gameplay elements -- and note that I dont think the entirety of the story and characters are/will be anti-british. Therefore its a bit pointless to tell me to finish the game, in all probability the story will be anti-american and anti-british in equal amount, however I'm saying that some of the gameplay is too pro-american anti-british for my taste.

@antiher0z : I don't think there needs to be a bad guy, a story like assassins creed is much better if its full of complex morally ambiguous characters (like the real historical people actually were). The AC games would be much worse if all the characters were arbitrarilly labelled "good guy" or "bad guy" regardless of their real life counterparts characteristics. (the same goes for the two opposing armies -- neither one was completely good or bad) As you've said though, I havent finished the game, so I'll reserve more judgement until I've seen how the gameplay is at the end of the story.

There isn't technically a 'bad guy' in AC3, at least in Connor's story.

adamsocal
11-03-2012, 11:21 PM
If anything, this game was anti-everybody. Even Templars and Assassins.

This. The game was equally anti-American as it was anti-British, IMO. The anti-Brit elements were just overt (all Redcoats = bad killers who want to kill and do nothing but killing).

william.berry
11-04-2012, 12:50 AM
This. The game was equally anti-American as it was anti-British, IMO. The anti-Brit elements were just overt (all Redcoats = bad killers who want to kill and do nothing but killing).

I think you are contradicting yourself there, how can it be equal when one side is depicted as you have described, and the other just has the occasional morality issue?

ShrunkLawyer0
11-04-2012, 04:04 PM
ok you do realize that this is the american revloution ie of course theres anit british elements in the game and yes if your wondering i am american

InfectedNation
11-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Well I'm British myself and I was very satisfied with the main story NOT being Assassins=America=GOOD, and Templars=Britain=BAD.

However the raising the flag in the fort gameplay made me and my friend laugh a lot.... it was pretty cringey.

william.berry
11-04-2012, 10:01 PM
@ShrunkLawyer0: In real life the British weren't the bad guys. Both sides had good and bad points. What I've been saying is that to make the British appear as the bad guys is over-simplifying the historical background and therefore crap story-telling on Ubisoft's part. IMO.

@InfectedNation: Yeah, to be honest the flag raising bit has been the only part of the game that has really annoyed me :P. Any cutscene in the game that seems just as appropriate with the Team America theme tune is dodgy in my book :P.

lightlamp
11-04-2012, 10:34 PM
IMO it was anti British.The only British people that are friendly to Connor are anti British themselfs. (like the homestead guy who got thrown out of his house because he didn't support the crown) and they are all painted in a good light because of this. *SPOILERS* Also why did Connor still help the Patriots after Washington ordered them to burn his village down?. And also the whole flag thing was just stupid patriotism (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GzyGjMFWFyk#t=805s). Were you not supposed to fight on both sides of the war like the developers said?