PDA

View Full Version : I think this game could benifit from a sequal like brotherhood.

BlackLight3578
11-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Ac3 was still good maybe ok game ( you would have to be crazy to call it flatout bad), but has plenty of issues.

>Better character development for connor(though it seemed by the end he would chnage for the better and mature past being just angry all the time.)
>side missions while numerous, didn't give you a reason to really want to do them.
> combat that while fun, is not challenging, and basically plays itself
>way too much health for the protagonist( taking10 bullets?)
>Quick time events against stronger animals that gets rid of the challenge killing them.( the frontier is AMAZING, so i was hoping the hunting would be amazing as well)
> the weapons didn't feel like they actually changed the combat up, or even had pros and cons ( use a heavy ax or hidden blade or a tomahawk, it won't matter, you can still doge and fight just as easily
>The main missions a lot of times just involved walkies or riding from one cutscene to the next.
> the stealth or the feel of an assassin was mostly ignored for direct combat. They should give you options, and give you a reason beyond failing missions to stay quiet(like difficult encounters for start)
The stupid A.I didn't make it any better with the way they could ignore a white and blue wearing hooded assassin hiding in a bush, ignore one of their generals dieing and just goign back to work, not investigating the area after you were incognito for only a minute, have some better peripheral vision, not just alert everyone when one guard sees you automatically, have some guard patterns that will really challenge your ability to navigate the area and use stealth to bypass enemies, and coordinate well with each other to try and track you down, draw you out, or defend themselves from assassination ( like back to back convicts in arkham city).

I think dishonored, dark Athena, or thief would be a good inspiration on that point.

Dishonored has difficult but fluid combat that gives you not only options but a reason to use stealth, stealth that was great due to challenging a.i and guard placement. It gave you options on how to beat the mission, how to reach your target, to be lethal or non lethal, and made each choice matter. It didn't hold your hand .It didn't ignore one or the other, and it didn't play itself. It challenged you.

lets get back to the ASSASSIN in assassin's creed.

Ac2 set the bar so high, that revelations or brother hood couldn't hope to compete with it. It didn't have many glaring faults.

Ac3 does have it's issues that a game like this could potentially fix. in Ac3, The atmosphere was great, the naval battles were awesome, the setting was brought to life, the frontier was the best environment imo of any of the games and was just beautiful, and the story had some great moments. Keep things like this, fix the problems, add in new features that would benefit the game(not tower defense) and we could have something amazing.

I think those disappointed with this game could agree it has so much potential.

Im not saying it's a bad game as i'm still playing it now, but i think there are things to be done to get the series back on track or to higher levels than before.

FirestarLuva
11-02-2012, 09:58 PM
I agree with this. They'll be able to fix many things and show Connor's character development that not many people saw at the end of the game. The French Revolution setting is smiling upon them. :3

Legendz54
11-02-2012, 10:02 PM
I also made a thread similar to this, Yes i would love to see a sequel, Its always the best Assassins that never get the sequels, First Altair and hopefully now not Connor. It would be awesome to see him travel to France and im sure Ubi could make it happen.

Silhouelle
11-02-2012, 10:03 PM
I disagree on the stealth point. I for one really enjoy it in this game and its seen a vast improvement over previous games, where stealth basically just consisted of throwing knives / shooting crossbow. I disabled the minimap in the game very early on and it makes stealth not only fun and challenging in the city, but also difficult depending on notoriety. You have to cautiously move around the city, peeking around corners and keeping an eye open for posters and a ear open for town crier (no minimap to show you location from miles away).

Its very much optional, the combat in the game clearly rewards a very aggressive playstyle which I enjoy a lot, but the stealth is also very much improved. It all comes down to playstyle though. Try playing a few missions or doing one of the forts stealthily with no minimap enabled, and depending on preference, non-lethal take downs. Then compare to prior AC games and tell us again that stealth was ignored this time around. :b

ProdiGurl
11-02-2012, 10:22 PM
I disagree on the stealth point. I for one really enjoy it in this game and its seen a vast improvement over previous games, where stealth basically just consisted of throwing knives / shooting crossbow. I disabled the minimap in the game very early on and it makes stealth not only fun and challenging in the city, but also difficult depending on notoriety. You have to cautiously move around the city, peeking around corners and keeping an eye open for posters and a ear open for town crier (no minimap to show you location from miles away).

Its very much optional, the combat in the game clearly rewards a very aggressive playstyle which I enjoy a lot, but the stealth is also very much improved. It all comes down to playstyle though. Try playing a few missions or doing one of the forts stealthily with no minimap enabled, and depending on preference, non-lethal take downs. Then compare to prior AC games and tell us again that stealth was ignored this time around. :b

^ That ^ I'm enjoying stealth alot more in AC3 - & I'm taking alot more time with because there's not only more guards but they're positioned more strategically imo.
And yes I'm REALLY wishing I had all my poison darts, crossbow & throwing knives to make it easy on me. Those were fun I have to admit.

One bad thing about Dishonored was that you were essentially penalized for using the weapons & powers they gave you. It got alot of complaints from gamers for that & I didn't care for that concept either.

WHU Stay Fresh
11-02-2012, 10:39 PM
I personally just play the story to see what happens , other than that im all multiplayer, on a side note I would love any new AC to have ACB detection metre :)

Dungenmaster2
11-02-2012, 10:41 PM
While I think playing as Connor some more as he gets older like we did with Ezio would be awesome I think it would be kinda hard to do with the ending to the game.

BlackLight3578
11-02-2012, 10:47 PM

The stealth is an improvement, i agree, but compared to other games with focus on stealth and combat it is lackluster. Maybe not having the map in games like dishonored is what made it a challenge, but it comes at an inconvenience for an open world game. Getting rid of The map is a good idea for sure, but the game should find a way to be that difficult without that being necessary. It should be like that naturally. For starters, they could have stopped putting the guards on the map, which would have made it just as easy to navigate on the move, but harder to use stealth. And there is no denying that the a.i are pretty crap when it comes to thier behavior. :b

And while were at it, would it still be that much of improvement for you if the map could be turned off for those previous games as well?

Sure it awards an aggressive play style , but it still comes down to just pressing the counter button and sometimes not being able to do certain moves on enemies. arkham city for example( a game this combat is heavily inspired by) mixed up a good amount of different enemy archetypes in your encounters that forced you to be much quicker, much smarter, and much more observant of your enemies than in ac3. But even if it offers an aggressive play style, what reason would have not to use it past a bit of role playing or preference? You could easily destroy all the guards in the area, so why even act like an assassin. I know there is the whole idea of people playing a certain way, but what do primarily stealth players who want to act like an assassin benefit from this?

Plus i didn't at all say they didn't focus on the stealth, i just said it's obvious it's wasn't something they focused on enough in a game call ASSASSIN'S creed, sorry for any misconceptions. The guard positions were improved and they added things like bushes, but not only did those things not improve it enough in the silent killing department(mainly due to dumb as hell A.i) they just seem really small in comparison to the detail added to the combat system.

I guess i was just disappointed. In the Boston and e3 demo , it just seemed like the a.i was much smarter than what was in the game I guess.

Just my take on it.

If you find this stealth impressive, then dishonored would just blow you away.

BlackLight3578
11-02-2012, 10:49 PM
^ That ^ I'm enjoying stealth alot more in AC3 - & I'm taking alot more time with because there's not only more guards but they're positioned more strategically imo.
And yes I'm REALLY wishing I had all my poison darts, crossbow & throwing knives to make it easy on me. Those were fun I have to admit.

One bad thing about Dishonored was that you were essentially penalized for using the weapons & powers they gave you. It got alot of complaints from gamers for that & I didn't care for that concept either.
Yeah, i was talking mostly of gameplay by itself than the impact it had. i found that being penalized so much for killing evil jack asses was stupid. at least in ac3 they didn't penalize you for killing a slave trader...

My beef is that after playing many stealth games, i'm a little disappointed. .

MRNMRSPACER
11-02-2012, 10:52 PM
I agree with this. They'll be able to fix many things and show Connor's character development that not many people saw at the end of the game. The French Revolution setting is smiling upon them. :3
i agree but i think they want tto start a new trilogy with a new real time subject or something...

ProdiGurl
11-02-2012, 11:00 PM
>> Yeah, i was talking mostly of gameplay by itself than the impact it had. i found that being penalized so much for killing evil jack asses was stupid. at least in ac3 they didn't penalize you for killing a slave trader...

My beef is that after playing many stealth games, i'm a little disappointed. . <<

I guess that's just a matter of taste, I'm impressed by AC3's stealth & diversity of missions & the new features they added. The brush is GREAT.
Dishonored's stealth also involved occult powers where you would "blink" (teleport) which helped significantly (and imo was necessary in some areas)
and you had 'x-ray' vision to see thru walls/obstacles.... I would HOPE they don't add that into AC. lol
& the AI in Dishonored was quirky... I threw a body right next to some guards & they just stood there - and could get way too close

What I did like in Dishonored is the mystery factor they gave it. AC was fun w/ that aspect going on on the sidelines.
There was always this eery feeling going on & that kept me enthralled.

WhySoSeriosKal
11-02-2012, 11:00 PM
While I think playing as Connor some more as he gets older like we did with Ezio would be awesome I think it would be kinda hard to do with the ending to the game.

Spoilers.

Well, they could always use a relative of Desmond's.

WSSK

BlackLight3578
11-02-2012, 11:18 PM
>> Yeah, i was talking mostly of gameplay by itself than the impact it had. i found that being penalized so much for killing evil jack asses was stupid. at least in ac3 they didn't penalize you for killing a slave trader...

My beef is that after playing many stealth games, i'm a little disappointed. . <<

I guess that's just a matter of taste, I'm impressed by AC3's stealth & diversity of missions & the new features they added. The brush is GREAT.
Dishonored's stealth also involved occult powers where you would "blink" (teleport) which helped significantly (and imo was necessary in some areas)
and you had 'x-ray' vision to see thru walls/obstacles.... I would HOPE they don't add that into AC. lol
& the AI in Dishonored was quirky... I threw a body right next to some guards & they just stood there - and could get way too close

What I did like in Dishonored is the mystery factor they gave it. AC was fun w/ that aspect going on on the sidelines.
There was always this eery feeling going on & that kept me enthralled. Yeah i agree of the eerie feeling that dishonored had, i think it's mostly the Gothic theme and it's art. don't get me wrong, the stealth is an improvement. I guess the only thing that would ruin the brush is when it is sometimes clearly small enough that even a half blind 80 year old could clearly see you from a distance, but the guards are too stupid to notice you.

About modishness and dropping the body, the behaviors changed drastically based on difficulty. I dropped a body next to some guards and they freaked the **** out and started searching everywhere. The a.i wasn't perfect of course, but they where better than a.i in other games these last few years.

i guess it's just taste though.

Silhouelle
11-02-2012, 11:26 PM
Well, what would you like from the stealth in AC3? Maybe an ability to throw rocks to distract guards to a certain area, like in the Farcry games? The only issues I have with the stealth is they don't let us crouch anywhere (tho tbh I want that more for looks lol) and how one alerted guard means all those in the area are alerted too, unless you kill the guy super fast. They should at least start shouting to get the others attention. As to the map thing btw, I just open proper map and mark whatever objective or collectable I want to pursue and it'll show up on game screen even without the minimap, so heading in the right direction isn't a problem.

As to what I get out of playing steathily even though its clearly not neccesary? I find it more fun, more challenging (thus more rewarding) and its a nice change of pace. Sometimes I go all out combat, other times I try not to be seen at all via stealth, on other occasions I very much go the trap route - trip mines, bow, rope dart, etc. Back during Connor's first visit to Boston, and how you must learn about notoriety, the part where you need to get the underground took me a good 25m cause I played it stealthy without map enabled, was lots of fun but requires patience. The second a guard sees you, you'll have ten more on you in under a minute so, was quite challenging. ^_^

BlackLight3578
11-03-2012, 12:12 AM
Well, what would you like from the stealth in AC3? Maybe an ability to throw rocks to distract guards to a certain area, like in the Farcry games? The only issues I have with the stealth is they don't let us crouch anywhere (tho tbh I want that more for looks lol) and how one alerted guard means all those in the area are alerted too, unless you kill the guy super fast. They should at least start shouting to get the others attention. As to the map thing btw, I just open proper map and mark whatever objective or collectable I want to pursue and it'll show up on game screen even without the minimap, so heading in the right direction isn't a problem.

As to what I get out of playing stealthily even though its clearly not necessary? I find it more fun, more challenging (thus more rewarding) and its a nice change of pace. Sometimes I go all out combat, other times I try not to be seen at all via stealth, on other occasions I very much go the trap route - trip mines, bow, rope dart, etc. Back during Connor's first visit to Boston, and how you must learn about notoriety, the part where you need to get the underground took me a good 25m cause I played it stealthy without map enabled, was lots of fun but requires patience. The second a guard sees you, you'll have ten more on you in under a minute so, was quite challenging. ^_^ :) I'm glad you're making the game challenging for yourself and as i said before i do under stand the concept of just preferring to use stealth despite it not being necessary. However, I want ubi to make it so the game is automatically difficult when it comes to stealth instead of the user having to go the settings.

On the map, i'm played around with it and while a good idea and you can place a marker on objectives, its still more of an inconvenience than just taking the guards off by themselves. Plus, you could miss interesting side things without your map.

I guess im trying to say that they give tactical reasoning for why you should use one over the other.

what i would want would be something like rocks, smarter a.i with peripheral vision and more believable reactions( a.i really the only thing bringing It down that much for me), guards not being automatically alerted by one when he doesn't even shout. It doesn't have to be the king of stealth, but i would like it to be on par with other action/stealth games.