PDA

View Full Version : I can't figure out the combat system. Any advice?

Deathwish 336
10-31-2012, 01:09 AM
Mainly counter-kills. When I press B (on Xbox) to counter, it gets all slow-mo, but then none of the buttons (A B X Y) do anything! I managed a few counter kills a little while ago, but as far as I can tell, it only let me because I was in the middle of attacking some other guy, and pressed B to counter in the middle of my attack.

Every once in a while I'll accidentally throw someone. And one time I grabbed this guy and put my pistol in his face, and shot through him, killing both him and the guy behind him. I have absolutely no idea how I did it. And this one time I got one to execute the other by stabbing him. As far as I can tell, I just rolled out of the way at last second when I was in between 2 guys and one was attacking.

They did a very poor job of explaining combat. *I wouldn't mind the new combat system if they would've just *explained* the **** thing!

Any advice guys?

Angreh Penguin
10-31-2012, 01:23 AM
After pressing B to counter and it goes into slowmo X kills them with your primary weapon, Y kills them with your secondary, B throws them, A disarms them.

Deathwish 336
10-31-2012, 01:31 AM
After pressing B to counter and it goes into slowmo X kills them with your primary weapon, Y kills them with your secondary, B throws them, A disarms them.

Yeah, I get that part. But what happens is about 75% of the time when I counter and it goes slowmo, none of the buttons do anything. So I just sit there in slowmo for a second or 2 not doing anything, and it just deflects the hit. That's what happens everything I just stand there waiting to be attacked so I can counter, lije the playa rule of the other games. The times it does let me counter and all that, it seems like I have to be in the middle of attacking someone else while someone hits me from the side or behind. I also have no clue how I did the 1 shot 2 kills thing with the pistol. Maybe I countered and pressed Y?

BBALive
10-31-2012, 01:42 AM
Maybe I countered and pressed Y?

That's exactly what you did.

Keep fighting random guards until you get it. Counter with B and then press X to kill.

B > X - Kill
B > Y - Tool
B > B - Throw (I think)*
B > A - Disarm (I think)*

*I'd appreciate it if someone who has played the game can confirm this.

Deathwish 336
10-31-2012, 01:46 AM
But I'm still not sure why the majority of the time it gets all slowmo when I press the counter button, but doesn't let me do anything.

tjbyrum1
10-31-2012, 01:46 AM
I just press X to attack. When I see red I just press B to counter. That's the basics.

However some enemies you'll need to approach differently by countering and then disarming before finishing them off with X combos. You can press Y to use tools, like pistols or rope darts.

tjbyrum1
10-31-2012, 01:47 AM
But I'm still not sure why the majority of the time it gets all slowmo when I press the counter button, but doesn't let me do anything.

When it slows down, press X to kill them A to disarm them, etc.

ProdiGurl
10-31-2012, 01:58 AM
It goes into slow-mo after you block (parry), but go ahead & hit the X after your block, for me it's going right into a Kill after the slow-mo finishes.
It seems like it's reading the X and will carry it out when the slow-mo block finishes - not that it does the kill action right when you press X.

I'm having more problem trying to fire the guns & getting him to pull the pistol out & reloads.

Kyle Bucket
10-31-2012, 02:30 AM
I'm new to the AC series, does anyone know how to do I guess "a stealth kill?" Like, is it possible to just walk up behind someone and assassinate them?

I'm on 360, and I have the gun as the top bubble and the blades as the bottom one and I just walk up to them and there's no options.

Any help is appreciated.

ProdiGurl
10-31-2012, 02:48 AM
I'm new to the AC series, does anyone know how to do I guess "a stealth kill?" Like, is it possible to just walk up behind someone and assassinate them?

I'm on 360, and I have the gun as the top bubble and the blades as the bottom one and I just walk up to them and there's no options.

Any help is appreciated.

I'm having the same question about using weapons & how the controls work. I have the gun on the top bubble but he doesn't pull the gun out to use it ?
I'm sure it's something simple & I'm just missing the obvious. Gotta figure this out. This is the only drawback of buying a game right away - usually if you wait, people have already figured it out & there's lots of info & videos out there :cool: