PDA

View Full Version : ubisoft please fix the unbearable frame rate

leroy19852010
10-30-2012, 12:10 PM
so ac3 is amazing, im loving every second of it, played every ac game, from ac1 to revelations, even most of the dlc for every game, now im a pc player but only just just started gaming on pc about a year ago, 30 is fine for me, even after playing at 60, i can allways get used to a consoles 30 fps, but from playing on pc i know for a fact the fps is in the teens, maybe even lower, its unexceptable and unplayable, seriously when the frame rate is this bad it completly ruins this game, cuz every thing is so blurry when panning the camera you cant see whats going on half tghe time, it also hurtsa my eyes. the game sofar is a masterpeice for me. worst frame rate ive ever seen on a console ever, particulary boston

Mr_Shade
10-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Hi there,

have you downloaded the Day one patch?

If you have, and still think the frame rate is poor - have you tried installing the game? [xbox]

Is your TV set to Game Mode [if it has one]

Personally - I have only seen a few drops in Boston when it's very busy, however it's not unplayable [for me at least] - but it appears it is for you?

I have it on both PS3 and Xbox [installed]

Please remember to also post this in the dedicated feedback threads.

If you post in the feedback threads, please state which console you are playing on, and if you have installed it etc - the more information you can provide the better for the team.

GarethNelson
10-30-2012, 12:17 PM
Another small tip that sounds silly - unless you're playing online, physically unplug the network cable and ensure there's plenty of ventilation around your console. If you have PlayTV or anything on PS3 that runs in the background, then try to kill it.

Modern consoles are no longer single-tasking :(

leroy19852010
10-30-2012, 12:23 PM
ok, cheers for trying to help guys, ill go straight to the feedback page, im on 360 with it installed, i just wacked on brotherhood, just to see if all my gaming on pc has made me untolerable to it, but nop its fine, brotherhood is smooth, well playable anyway, im not fussy neither. if you look up as youre climbing something youll notice the game smooths out and looks all the better for it. i wonder if people who dont notice are people who have never played a game above 60 fps?? but even so its not rite. id really love to be able to measure it

GarethNelson
10-30-2012, 12:27 PM
AC3 is probably far more CPU-intensive, also as I use PS3 i'm mandated to say that it's your choice of console causing issues :P

RinoTheBouncer
10-30-2012, 12:33 PM
I'm on PS3 and sadly, whenever I'm riding a horse or running fast there are these ummm "Pause Moments" where everything pauses except for Connor's outfit, one piece of it keeps moving with the air and then it reverts back to normal.

GarethNelson
10-30-2012, 12:36 PM
I'm on PS3 and sadly, whenever I'm riding a horse or running fast there are these ummm "Pause Moments" where everything pauses except for Connor's outfit, one piece of it keeps moving with the air and then it reverts back to normal.

If it always happens in the same place it's probably loading the next area

AssassinVenice
10-30-2012, 12:48 PM
You need to replace your HDD on your PS3, probably. Mine has been giving me problems since, oh well, since my older one broke and I replaced t with the original 120GB that came with my PS3.
The sound tends to be out of sync regularly but other than that, it's frickin' awesome!

GarethNelson
10-30-2012, 12:52 PM
You need to replace your HDD on your PS3, probably. Mine has been giving me problems since, oh well, since my older one broke and I replaced t with the original 120GB that came with my PS3.
The sound tends to be out of sync regularly but other than that, it's frickin' awesome!

That might help, but if it's loading delays it's the bluray drive that's the bottleneck

Krayus Korianis
10-30-2012, 12:53 PM
AC3 is probably far more CPU-intensive, also as I use PS3 i'm mandated to say that it's your choice of console causing issues :P
I use a 360... It's the PS3.

leroy19852010
10-30-2012, 12:54 PM
i have a ps3 and heard this game was made on the ps3 then ported, do you think thats why? was it ported by differnt devs on 360 and pc not ubisoft, id also like the extra content, 60 minute content as well wich is very good for free

GarethNelson
10-30-2012, 12:56 PM
i have a ps3 and heard this game was made on the ps3 then ported, do you think thats why? was it ported by differnt devs on 360 and pc not ubisoft, id also like the extra content, 60 minute content as well wich is very good for free

I was just being silly - by this point it SHOULD be optimised for all platforms.

xXRyzonXx
10-30-2012, 01:00 PM
What type of xbox do you have, do you have the slim or?

Also, The game wasn't made on ps3.

Krayus Korianis
10-30-2012, 01:00 PM
I was just being silly - by this point it SHOULD be optimised for all platforms.
The engine wasn't made for one console. It was engineered for PS3, Xbox 360, PC and the WiiU as well as the PS Vita (a smaller form of it at least).

Never have I even heard of it being ported, except to the PC which is being done right now.

Krayus Korianis
10-30-2012, 01:01 PM
What type of xbox do you have, do you have the slim or?

Also, The game wasn't made on ps3.
The OP has a PS3. It's either the HDD or the Blu-Ray drive acting up.

AssassinVenice
10-30-2012, 01:02 PM
People! Stop *****ing, ok?
Enjoy the game and close your eyes to the problems the game has. Some people will have to wait until November to play it!

****!

leroy19852010
10-30-2012, 01:03 PM
no i have both and pc, but it was to long for me to wait to get on pc, so i got on my xbox as ive played all other ac games on my xbox and like to do this as well, had i of known i would of got it on my poor unused ps3

another annoying thing is i spent my uplay points on ezio outfit and satchel, for 360 version, i mean id get it for my ps3 mainly for the extra content, but if i find out the frame rate is the same ill be annoyed again lol

Krayus Korianis
10-30-2012, 01:05 PM
no i have both and pc, but it was to long for me to wait to get on pc, so i got on my xbox as ive played all other ac games on my xbox and like to do this as well, had i of known i would of got it on my poor unused ps3

You know, there's probably a lot of dust in the console (This is a problem for BOTH consoles) that's causing it to heat up and if someone realizes, heat isn't good for electronics. I'd say get an air compressor (Any way you can) and blow out the dust.

GarethNelson
10-30-2012, 01:05 PM
The engine wasn't made for one console. It was engineered for PS3, Xbox 360, PC and the WiiU as well as the PS Vita (a smaller form of it at least).

Never have I even heard of it being ported, except to the PC which is being done right now.

The way these things are normally done is with a modular design and some C++ preprocessor macros to only compile the right bits of code for the target platform. So the same codebase can be compiled for PS3, 360, windows (don't say PC, ugh - windows - my PC does not run windows), MacOS and WiiU, and each of those platforms will have it's own set of modules for stuff like controller input and rendering at the very least, then the build script will need to link the right set of libraries and target the right processor etc.

It'd be correct to say that it's being written for all platforms AND optimised for all of them as the platform-specific modules should be optimised, and even within the platform-agnostic code there may be special cleverness (for example, they probably put the load of crowd simulation onto the SPUs in PS3, while they'll be just regular threads on other platforms).

Krayus Korianis
10-30-2012, 01:07 PM
The way these things are normally done is with a modular design and some C++ preprocessor macros to only compile the right bits of code for the target platform. So the same codebase can be compiled for PS3, 360, windows (don't say PC, ugh - windows - my PC does not run windows), MacOS and WiiU, and each of those platforms will have it's own set of modules for stuff like controller input and rendering at the very least, then the build script will need to link the right set of libraries and target the right processor etc.

It'd be correct to say that it's being written for all platforms AND optimised for all of them as the platform-specific modules should be optimised, and even within the platform-agnostic code there may be special cleverness (for example, they probably put the load of crowd simulation onto the SPUs in PS3, while they'll be just regular threads on other platforms).

Or it's all the same and their electronics are heated up causing them to probably malfunction. It happens on everything that has a circuit board.

Also, PC. Personal Computer. You can get WINE or whatever for any other OS you use for Windows... Doesn't mean it's not for PC.

leroy19852010
10-30-2012, 01:11 PM

ok, so i didnt understant a word of that apart from the last part about crowd being loaded on spu, so in that case it should be better on ps3 than 360? higher frame rate i mean? not better. its completely ruining the game for me, do you think its worth trying to play the game from disc? surely that would have nothing to do with frame rate though would it

brotherhood is fine on my xbox, can tell its keeping to 30 fps, also i dont beleive it runs at higher fps on some peoples xboxes than others, they all have the same hardware so it would be the same fps wise rite? just some people dont care or something

GarethNelson
10-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Oh, and if you want to be strict - the game was most likely written on windows (as in the code was typed up on a windows box) but targeted at the developer consoles (special versions of the PS3, 360 and WiiU that let you run unsigned code - I have one of the debug stations for PS3 myself, they're awesome).

Developers write the code, build it, download it or mount it via a network filesystem and test it on the developer console while getting feedback on the state as it's running to help tweak it.

GarethNelson
10-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Or it's all the same and their electronics are heated up causing them to probably malfunction. It happens on everything that has a circuit board.

Also, PC. Personal Computer. You can get WINE or whatever for any other OS you use for Windows... Doesn't mean it's not for PC.

It's for windows, not PC - saying "for PC" implies all PC operating systems, which is incorrect.

Anyway, it's not "all the same" as the different consoles are very different machines - you are correct however that overheating issues occur in all computers.

ACfan443
10-30-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm using the PS3 and playing it with the day one patch, and the framerate is amazing. It's so smooth, I'll go as far to say it's the smoothest game I've played.

GarethNelson
10-30-2012, 01:18 PM
ok, so i didnt understant a word of that apart from the last part about crowd being loaded on spu, so in that case it should be better on ps3 than 360? higher frame rate i mean? not better. its completely ruining the game for me, do you think its worth trying to play the game from disc? surely that would have nothing to do with frame rate though would it

brotherhood is fine on my xbox, can tell its keeping to 30 fps, also i dont beleive it runs at higher fps on some peoples xboxes than others, they all have the same hardware so it would be the same fps wise rite? just some people dont care or something

Playing from the disc can only be slower - if you can try the PS3 version of course than do so, but also look at getting rid of dust, ensuring a cool environment and so on for your 360 first. If you can replace the harddrive, then do so and get one with a high RPM.

leroy19852010
10-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Playing from the disc can only be slower - if you can try the PS3 version of course than do so, but also look at getting rid of dust, ensuring a cool environment and so on for your 360 first. If you can replace the harddrive, then do so and get one with a high RPM.

so can the things you mentioned, hard drive and heat cause the fps to be bad?

GarethNelson
10-30-2012, 02:10 PM
so can the things you mentioned, hard drive and heat cause the fps to be bad?

FPS: Frames Per Second

Drawing a frame requires work, so if one of 4 things happens FPS gets lower:

1 - The system has more work to do (like a big crowded scene that needs lots of calculations before it can render the frame)
2 - One part of the system (like a bluray drive) is being slow and holding back other stuff - it does no good if the CPU can run the calculations super-duper fast if it first needs to wait on the data to come from a slow source like a disc drive that needs to physically spin
3 - The system is running slower - CPUs run slower when hot
4 - The system is handling lots of interrupts - like network packets etc - these take time away from running your game

My bet is it's points 2 and 3, and sometimes point 1, but removing point 4 might help a little too by freeing up CPU cycles

xXRyzonXx
10-30-2012, 02:24 PM
I thought OP had an xbox.. OP are you playing ac3 on xbox or ps3?

leroy19852010
10-30-2012, 05:13 PM
yes im on 360, are there any pc players here? cuz i know they will HATE it too, more than console players because they dont know any differnt