PDA

View Full Version : AC3 Includes Micro-Transactions, Ubisoft Applies Free-To-Play Model To Retail Games!!

MrLee95
10-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Pay $60 AND STILL pay for a F2P model.... wow just wow!!!

And most importantly a quote from Stéphanie Perotti, “Free-to-play is a very flexible business model. The player has the capability to spend more than in a traditional model.”

AKA we can milk gamers for every cent they have with crap that should be in the game free of charge.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/10/27/assassins-creed-iii-includes-micro-transactions-ubisoft-applies-free-to-play-model-to-retail-games/

Tuna...no.crust
10-28-2012, 12:17 PM
Those micro-transactions will just be used to exchange real money for the multiplayer currency to buy new abilities, perks, customization items etc that the player already earns.
The people who use these are usually people who don't have much spare time to play and earn points, so they buy them to customize their character etc.

Battlefield 3 is doing the same thing with weapon, attachment and perk packs.

Personally I've got nothing against it, if you want to spend your money on in-game points that you earn anyways by playing the game, go ahead.

derfy2
10-28-2012, 01:13 PM
I don't see where the hate for micro-transactions comes from. If it only allows you to buy perks sooner than you earn them, I'm ok with that - it's the gamer's choice.

MrLee95
10-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Maybe it's because i'm in my late 30's but this type of business model just seem totally wrong to me.

If I pay $60 for a game (which used to be $50 but I understand inflation) why should I have to pay MORE money for more content/items that should already be in game? (Not counting DLC's or expansions.

I could also see someday in the future when you buy a game you get just the basic look or item of a character and if you want anything that looks slightly different (like Altair's
robes for example) you will have to pay more!

Also I have seen the argument of "The company needs to make money also". And they are just from buying the $60 game! What it is they want to make MORE money because gamers will pay more for something they want, which again would have been free in game in the past.

Gone are the days where you pay one fee and that's it. :(

xLUSTx4xBLOODx
10-29-2012, 04:15 AM
i think this is sad but if you can still unlock the stuff by playing the game it's ok to me

derfy2
10-29-2012, 01:53 PM
I could also see someday in the future when you buy a game you get just the basic look or item of a character and if you want anything that looks slightly different (like Altair's robes for example) you will have to pay more!

I feel the need to clarify here. This type of micro-transaction I am not ok with. If, however, by not paying money you could still earn the robes via some action in the game (or elsewhere) that would be fine.

Glitch1283
10-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Maybe it's because i'm in my late 30's but this type of business model just seem totally wrong to me.

If I pay $60 for a game (which used to be $50 but I understand inflation) why should I have to pay MORE money for more content/items that should already be in game? (Not counting DLC's or expansions.

Games here in Europe are actually equally expensive as 20 years ago. Well, the PC versions got alot cheaper since console gaming became more mainstream.

Besides, they're using the 1:1 conversion rate from Dollars to Euros. So you pay $60, we pay €60... and games here cost €69,99 at times. Not even talking special editions.

I don't mind the business model that much since it's just multiplayer currency we're talking about and this model has, in fact, been around for quite some time. Look at League of Legends for instance, same deal there. You -can- pay for points you can unlock by playing or you pay to get exclusive skins for champions.

This micro-transactions in ACIII aren't really a good representation of the F2P model Ubi is working on. For that, you'd have to look at Settlers Online for example. The game is free but you can buy extra stuff through micro-t's which still doesn't add up to a full priced game. So that's a pretty decent deal if you ask me.