PDA

View Full Version : Ship free roam or missions only?

liv2rok
10-26-2012, 09:03 PM
Is the ship gameplay in AC3 just for particular missions or total free roam? In other words have Ubisoft done it properly and given us an ocean to explore as and when we want or have they been lazy and half arsed it to sell more copies of the game claiming to have epic ship battles in the game that you can only play once or twice...

Thanks

Sabastian_AC
10-26-2012, 09:16 PM
We've kind of heard different things from different devs on this issue. Most recently, it seems they have kind of dodged the question by saying things like "Well there are story missions and then several hours of side content that you can engage in whenever you want." Recently though, some articles mentioned that there are side missions where you clear pirates from certain areas of the map (kind of like Borgia towers) in order to secure shipping routes, and that makes me feel like we will indeed be seeing free roam in the seas.

Can anyone who has the game confirm this?

tjbyrum1
10-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Once you unlock the Aquila (your ship), you'll be able to roam the Atlantic seaboard (or whatever) at your leisure. There are side-missions to accomplish as well. You'll be able to walk around on your ship too.

liv2rok
10-26-2012, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the responses, just one more quick question though. Are there any sort of upgrades you can buy for your ship? Customisation? Gun upgrades etc?

rileypoole1234
10-26-2012, 09:51 PM
You can freely the Caribbean Sea and the Eastern seaboard.

tre289
10-26-2012, 09:54 PM
Once you unlock the Aquila (your ship), you'll be able to roam the Atlantic seaboard (or whatever) at your leisure. There are side-missions to accomplish as well. You'll be able to walk around on your ship too.

This is what frustrates me.. people are saying it is 100%, When in reality..

We've kind of heard different things from different devs on this issue. Most recently, it seems they have kind of dodged the question by saying things like "Well there are story missions and then several hours of side content that you can engage in whenever you want." Recently though, some articles mentioned that there are side missions where you clear pirates from certain areas of the map (kind of like Borgia towers) in order to secure shipping routes, and that makes me feel like we will indeed be seeing free roam in the seas.

Can anyone who has the game confirm this?

^^ This is currently the information we've been given.

Different Dev's have given different answers, and most of them seem like they've been answered in ways that are worded to sound not specific enough, almost dodgy, and that doesn't sound like a good enough confirmation for me.

I think the only way to actually get your 100% answer is from someone who is playing or to wait until we can play.

Sabastian_AC
10-26-2012, 10:53 PM
Different Dev's have given different answers, and most of them seem like they've been answered in ways that are worded to sound not specific enough, almost dodgy, and that doesn't sound like a good enough confirmation for me.

I think the only way to actually get your 100% answer is from someone who is playing or to wait until we can play.

Yeah and we've seen a couple threads like this already, and they all go the same way: Someone asks a question, a bunch of people jump in and say "Yup! The Devs said it's free roam!" with no links or sources, then someone raises the point that we've had some conflicting informaiton on the subject, everyone shrugs their shoulders and the thread dies. A couple weeks later a new thread pops up and the cycle continues...

This time though, I think we have some hope of breaking the cycle since some people actually have the game. So here we go, in big letters:

Someone who has the game: Can you free roam the ocean?

Assassin_M
10-26-2012, 10:56 PM
People who have the game right now are less likely to understand English..

Sabastian_AC
10-26-2012, 11:04 PM
People who have the game right now are less likely to understand English..

That's why I put it in big letters. It works the same way as yelling.

MT4K
10-26-2012, 11:35 PM
That's why I put it in big letters. It works the same way as yelling.

Because everybody knows yelling gets you everything you want ;).

MetalCreed
10-26-2012, 11:42 PM
I think it's free roam in the sense that you can choose to protect your ship when sending out your ship to ship goods and the sort..Which is not mission-oriented?

Sabastian_AC
10-26-2012, 11:45 PM
Because everybody knows yelling gets you everything you want ;).

No, but it does help non-English speakers understand you ;) Works on deaf people too!

Assassin_M
10-26-2012, 11:46 PM
No, but it does help non-English speakers understand you ;) Works on deaf people too!
Good lord who ever told you that ?? I feel sorry for every non-English speaker you met...

Sabastian_AC
10-26-2012, 11:50 PM
Good lord who ever told you that ?? I feel sorry for every non-English speaker you met...

Sarcasm, bro ;)

Anyway...back to the topic. I was a long-time skeptic that we would see naval free-roam, but the missions where you clear pirates out of certain areas to open shipping routes makes me hopeful. Any thoughts?

projectpat06
10-26-2012, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the responses, just one more quick question though. Are there any sort of upgrades you can buy for your ship? Customisation? Gun upgrades etc?

To answer your question, yes will be able to acquire upgrades for our ship. Not sure if the customization will be like the homestead but it would be cool to upgrade your captain's quarters, poop deck, lower deck, etc. You'll start out with basic cannon fire then you will be able to acquire other types of cannon shots to take out ships in various ways. You can also ram other ships so I imagine the upgrades will include parts to deal more damage/ prevent damage when attacking this way.

Assassin_M
10-26-2012, 11:55 PM
Sarcasm, bro ;)

Anyway...back to the topic. I was a long-time skeptic that we would see naval free-roam, but the missions where you clear pirates out of certain areas to open shipping routes makes me hopeful. Any thoughts?
I was being sarcastic too...:p

There has to be some degree of free roam, because of the structure of the side missions... there just has to be..

projectpat06
10-26-2012, 11:59 PM
Sarcasm, bro ;)

It could just separate missions and then after you clear those routes, the ships you send out will be like the assassins you could sent out but you don't actually accompany them. You can probably revisit these areas after they become occupied again but it might be separate areas with loading screens instead of one giant open map. I would to think it's similar to how Mass Effect was in terms of navigation. You choose a destination on the map then sail there via load screen. Once you're there, its just that location that you can sail around like a certain world or colony you would land on in mass effect. Afterwards, it's just keeping up with stats like your assassins. Open world in a sense.

Skyward Sword could also be a reference where you just go to certain locations that have a mission attacked but you're limited to that world rather than having a huge Hyrule field attaching everything

C3G Jester
10-27-2012, 12:01 AM

Ohh Good Lord. works on deaf people too??????????? I would rant on about what a fool you are and what a idiot you really are. I was born deaf myself and yeah I roam the forums reading lots of stuff. You got balls for saying that. Hey guess what, yell all you want, most of deaf people sees you opening ur mouth wide knows that ur yelling and they are just laughing because they cant hear a word u say..

projectpat06
10-27-2012, 12:06 AM
Ohh Good Lord. works on deaf people too??????????? I would rant on about what a fool you are and what a idiot you really are. I was born deaf myself and yeah I roam the forums reading lots of stuff. You got balls for saying that. Hey guess what, yell all you want, most of deaf people sees you opening ur mouth wide knows that ur yelling and they are just laughing because they cant hear a word u say..

It was a bad joke. awkward....

C3G Jester
10-27-2012, 12:11 AM
Yeah. Ive been there once when I was young lol. Even though I was born deaf, I learned how to speak through speech therapy while growing up. When I talked to a hearing group, I would shout and they will be like 'dude dont need to shout. why u shouting' id say i was born deaf they will laugh and tell me that its all cool. So just be careful lol

Sabastian_AC
10-27-2012, 01:04 AM

It was a joke dude. I was playing on the popular western comedy trope of people yelling at those who speak a different language to make themselves understood. This is usually seen as funny because speaking loudly cannot help someone understand a language that they do not speak. And now by explaining why this is funny, the joke has been killed.

Hey, let's talk about Assassins of the Caribbean, shall we?

tre289
10-27-2012, 01:31 AM
Well, speaking to a friend of mine in in a different area of the world than I am, He has told me that the Naval stuff is actually free-roamable in a sense that it isn't mission or side mission specific, and that you can walk onto the boat and sail about as you please.

So I suppose there is our answer from someone who has played the game :P

Assassin_M
10-27-2012, 01:32 AM
Thread Question Answered..

projectpat06
10-27-2012, 01:45 AM
Well, speaking to a friend of mine in in a different area of the world than I am, He has told me that the Naval stuff is actually free-roamable in a sense that it isn't mission or side mission specific, and that you can walk onto the boat and sail about as you please.

So I suppose there is our answer from someone who has played the game :P

just curious and being nit picky here but can you just leave the ship in autopilot by having an npc steer while you walk around the ship?

Sabastian_AC
10-27-2012, 01:49 AM
Thread Question Answered..

And there was much rejoicing.

rileypoole1234
10-27-2012, 01:56 AM
And there was much rejoicing.

http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/GifGuide/dancing/tumblr_l7qse5wJZ31qaqggd.gif

Krayus Korianis
10-27-2012, 01:57 AM
hey, let's talk about assassins of the caribbean, shall we?
i love that movie!

scooper121s
10-27-2012, 01:59 AM
It has been confirmed you can accesses your ship from homestead

tre289
10-27-2012, 02:27 AM
just curious and being nit picky here but can you just leave the ship in autopilot by having an npc steer while you walk around the ship?

I asked him this question when I asked the first one, and he says yes it is possible.

*Edit: I asked him to check, he's going to look right now, and then I'll have a deffenite answer.

*edit again: Now he is telling me he went and checked naval stuff again, and it is only mission/side mission based... said he wasnt sure waht I was asking before.

Disappointed :(