PDA

View Full Version : Why did Acre have a mostly white population?

AllThatJuice
10-26-2012, 12:26 AM
Now I'm not a massive history nut, so this question might seem rather stupid to some: but why is it that Acre (in AC1) was pretty much a city populated by Europeans?

Also, 5 days til the 31st!!! (UK release)

Assassin_M
10-26-2012, 12:28 AM
It shouldnt have really, but it was just to emphasize the newly invaded City`s new leadership.. who were the Crusaders..

MetalCreed
10-26-2012, 12:32 AM
Well it's not like the native Syrians weren't white looking either. Especially back in those days.

They're after all of the same race.

Unless you're talking about the influence of Europe in Acre, then I have no idea. But I guess what A_M said is right.

AllThatJuice
10-26-2012, 12:46 AM
It shouldnt have really, but it was just to emphasize the newly invaded City`s new leadership.. who were the Crusaders..

I thought so...When I first played AC and didnt know where Acre was, I thought the city was actually in Europe or something...It can easily be mistaken for being in England tbh...

Assassin_M
10-26-2012, 12:51 AM
I thought so...When I first played AC and didnt know where Acre was, I thought the city was actually in Europe or something...It can easily be mistaken for being in England tbh...
There was not much Western Architecture either, but I guess they did it to show diversity in Cities... having 3 of the same may have been boring..

AllThatJuice
10-26-2012, 01:02 AM
I think its because the city had a very blue colour pallet, making it look cold and grumpy (like here in the uk xD)...

GreatBeyonder
10-26-2012, 02:25 AM
I'm much more curious where are the Jews...

Assassin_M
10-26-2012, 02:29 AM
I'm much more curious where are the Jews...
You cannot really tell the Muslims from Christians from Jews..

Acre had Mosques, Churches and Synagogues, but the game made it look strictly European with just the Churches and some Mosque ruins..

At least there are more Prominent Synagogues in Jerusalem..

there76
10-26-2012, 02:32 AM
Are you trying to imply that people in the middle east are not white?

GreatBeyonder
10-26-2012, 02:33 AM
You cannot really tell the Muslims from Christians from Jews..

Acre had Mosques, Churches and Synagogues, but the game made it look strictly European with just the Churches and some Mosque ruins..

At least there are more Prominent Synagogues in Jerusalem..

I always sort of imagined that those harassed citizens were Jews, especially as they're regularly told 'stop spreading your lies;.

Assassin_M
10-26-2012, 02:35 AM
I always sort of imagined that those harassed citizens were Jews, especially as they're regularly told 'stop spreading your lies;.
Not really no..

Those Guards were saying weird things like "We are the true children of God" seems more like the Guards are the ones that are Jewish... Muslims do not hold this belief.. So No

CalgaryJay
10-26-2012, 03:05 AM

Ya I believe this is correct. It was during a period when the Crusader forces had the momentum in the region & Christian, Crusader "kingdoms" were popping up all over the area, to try to preserve their people in these areas long term (with the obvious longterm goal being the "reclamation" of the Holy Land).

Acre was one of these kingdoms, or at least became one of them. Pretty sure it was by far the longest lasting Crusader state in the area, even after the rest of them had already fallen to Muslim, Seljuk forces. The setting of AC1 was at the time when Acre was the last of these kingdoms still in Crusader hands.

EDIT: So to sum up, the reason it looks mostly European, is because is was mostly European.

AWBiggs
10-26-2012, 06:02 AM
...the dude above is absolutely correct, also, not all people from the middle east are "darker skinned" either. Even the cities that eventually fell to Saladin's army were made up of dozens of nationalities. Egyptian, Syrian and so on...

FinalJ1
10-26-2012, 06:38 AM
Not really no..

Those Guards were saying weird things like "We are the true children of God" seems more like the Guards are the ones that are Jewish... Muslims do not hold this belief.. So No
Actually crusaders said similar things to Jews when Jerusalem was occupied by Templars. A lot of times through out history christians have torture and degraded Hebrews, because they were jealous.

Assassin_M
10-26-2012, 06:39 AM
Actually crusaders said similar things to Jews when Jerusalem was occupied by Templars. A lot of times through out history christians have torture and degraded Hebrews, because they were jealous.
I think we may end up in a controversial discussion..

Saqaliba
10-26-2012, 07:26 AM
The white people where 'Franko-Latins'. Templars are mostly Frankish and there was a lot of architecture in Acre which suggested the presence of the Franks. And so during the period AC1 covers, there was a Genoese quarter, a German quarter and a Templar/Hosptiallers quarter. See Adrian J. Boaz's Crusader Archeology for a full visual description of what Akko (Acre) was like in the period.

In fact the Franks were responsible for destroying the unity between the Christian East with the Christian West when Charlemagne was crowned Emperor. There is rumor that he formed a secret order of Juridical knights called the Holy Vehm and that these formed the foundation of what would become the Templars. They then set of to use the Church power basis to expand Frankish interest.

This period of Charlemagne and the blood-courts of the Holy Vehm would make an excellent period for the Assassin's Creed universe to focus on since the foundation of the Templars could be traced back to the formation of the Vehm. These same 'Germanic' peoples are responsible for the Second World War and the theory of 'white race' eugenics.... i.e. Frankish ancestry.

Furthermore, nearly all of the US presidents are blood relatives of Charlemagne, including George Washington.

NOLA_Assassin
10-26-2012, 08:37 AM
The white people where 'Franko-Latins'. Templars are mostly Frankish and there was a lot of architecture in Acre which suggested the presence of the Franks. And so during the period AC1 covers, there was a Genoese quarter, a German quarter and a Templar/Hosptiallers quarter. See Adrian J. Boaz's Crusader Archeology for a full visual description of what Akko (Acre) was like in the period.

In fact the Franks were responsible for destroying the unity between the Christian East with the Christian West when Charlemagne was crowned Emperor. There is rumor that he formed a secret order of Juridical knights called the Holy Vehm and that these formed the foundation of what would become the Templars. They then set of to use the Church power basis to expand Frankish interest.

This period of Charlemagne and the blood-courts of the Holy Vehm would make an excellent period for the Assassin's Creed universe to focus on since the foundation of the Templars could be traced back to the formation of the Vehm. These same 'Germanic' peoples are responsible for the Second World War and the theory of 'white race' eugenics.... i.e. Frankish ancestry.

Furthermore, nearly all of the US presidents are blood relatives of Charlemagne, including George Washington.

I don't think Barak Obama is...

Saqaliba
10-26-2012, 08:42 AM
Actually, he is... (on his Mother's side) and he is also related to some British Kings and George Washington:

http://genealogyofpresidents.blogspot.com.au/

AWBiggs
10-26-2012, 08:45 AM
...that's why he said nearly all

If folks are interested in the Crusades, I can recommend a great book by Thomas Asbridge called (simply) "The Crusades" (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/search?searchTerm=The+Crusades+Thomas+Asbridge&availability=1&hasJacket=1&searchLang=1&redirected=true&gclid=CIPTkpeXnrMCFYl66wodCnMAzw) which you can pick up just about anywhere for pretty cheap. It's a pretty fascinating (easy) read about lots of stuff that went on, from both the Christian and Muslim perspectives. Well worth a pick-up if it's a part of history that intrigues you.

The short version of the particularly long story is the Crusades were so much more than a religious thing...

Saqaliba
10-26-2012, 08:47 AM
...that's why he said nearly all

If folks are interested in the Crusades, I can recommend a great book by Thomas Asbridge called (simply) "The Crusades" (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/search?searchTerm=The+Crusades+Thomas+Asbridge&availability=1&hasJacket=1&searchLang=1&redirected=true&gclid=CIPTkpeXnrMCFYl66wodCnMAzw) which you can pick up just about anywhere for pretty cheap. It's a pretty fascinating (easy) read about lots of stuff that went on, from both the Christian and Muslim perspectives. Well worth a pick-up if it's a part of history that intrigues you.

The short version of the particularly long story is the Crusades were so much more than a religious thing...

I recommend the trilogy of books on the Crusades by Steven Runciman. For Byzantium (Constantinople) I recommend John Julius Norwich. 35 presidents of USA are related to Charlemagne. But then you will be surprised how many people are related to royalty somewhere down the track.

NOLA_Assassin
10-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Okay

I think we may end up in a controversial discussion..

I think you might just be being a bit too nit-picky on the subject M, I doubt any of them are Jewish in the game as the Developers probably left them out.

Assassin_M
10-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Okay

I think you might just be being a bit too nit-picky on the subject M, I doubt any of them are Jewish in the game as the Developers probably left them out.
There are Synagogues and the Jews did not dress differently, so they`re perhaps actually there, we just do not know..

scooper121s
10-28-2012, 09:07 AM
Well, Acre was the first place to fall to the crusaders in the third crusade

NOLA_Assassin
10-28-2012, 03:30 PM
There are Synagogues and the Jews did not dress differently, so they`re perhaps actually there, we just do not know..

Yes I know there were Synagogues but as they didn't appear in the story, I doubt the developers included them.