PDA

View Full Version : Any Idea What Win8's Gonna Do to Our Game?

Worf101
10-25-2012, 04:14 PM
In their never ending quest to make "Dollar" Bill Gates even richer, the folks at MS are launching Win8. I've got only three questions as relates to ANY possible upgrade.

1. Will it work with my current games? Particularly IL2 1946 and SH3?

2. Will my Simpeds and Warthog HOTAS work under Win8?

3. Will it make my gaming FASTER!!!????

If the answer to any of the above is "no", then I'm not going. Period, end of story. I missed the Vista party, I can afford to miss this one too.

Any real life experience out there?

Worf

Bearcat99
10-26-2012, 01:36 PM
From my understanding W8 is the next generation of Windows that will blend all their OSs into one consistent look and feel. The main difference is touchscreen support so unless you have a touchscreen monitor I wouldn't even bother with it.

x6BL_Brando
10-27-2012, 01:08 AM
The fact that M$ are falling over themselves to offer cheap upgrades to Win 8 Pro to anyone with a legal copy of Win 7, or XP, (or Win 95 for all I know) suggests that they really need to sell it. Perhaps the news that Windows are returning to the hardware market is part of the big picture. You know - like if you have the OS for less than 50, then why not buy the new M$ device to run it?

For myself it isn't too important as I use my PC for most stuff and it runs just fine on Win 7. I'm not too interested in the tablet stuff; and my wife, who is, uses Apple already.
Her PC which is synched into the University intranet will stay using 7 for a long while. The college only just got around to upgrading this year, from XP to 7!

WTE_Galway
10-29-2012, 12:36 AM
The fact that M$ are falling over themselves to offer cheap upgrades to Win 8 Pro to anyone with a legal copy of Win 7, or XP, (or Win 95 for all I know) suggests that they really need to sell it. Perhaps the news that Windows are returning to the hardware market is part of the big picture. You know - like if you have the OS for less than 50, then why not buy the new M$ device to run it?

For myself it isn't too important as I use my PC for most stuff and it runs just fine on Win 7. I'm not too interested in the tablet stuff; and my wife, who is, uses Apple already.
Her PC which is synched into the University intranet will stay using 7 for a long while. The college only just got around to upgrading this year, from XP to 7!

Win8 is a smart-phone/tablet operating system. They are foisting it on PC users in the hope that if you get used to it on a PC you will opt for a windows based phone instead of an iphone or android when you get a new phone.

Note that MS for at least a decade and a half have had a dynamic where they alternate between a trendy marketing/sales inspired OS that flops followed by a solidly engineered one that succeeds. Here is the pattern in consumer OS from Microsoft:

Win 98SE -- solid, stable and successful
Win ME -- marketing based and a total flop
Win XP -- solid, stable and successful
Vista -- marketing based and a total flop
Win7 -- solid, stable and successful
Win8 -- marketing based and ???????????

Dewey081
11-15-2012, 11:15 AM
I just bought Win 8. IL2:COD and Steam do not work in this environment.

It's back to Rise of Flight for Ichabod :nonchalance:

TgD Thunderbolt56
11-26-2012, 08:34 PM
It won't affect you at all if you don't install it...just saying. ;)

I'm still using Vista Home Premium on my sim rig...no problems here.

wolfman71971
11-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Nothing!

I am not buying this pointless new OS.

;)