PDA

View Full Version : Assassinís Creed 3 DLC Will not be Canon, ďJust There as Something for Players to Enj

kidhero99
10-23-2012, 05:02 PM
Ubisoft has confirmed that the downloadable content that will follow the launch of Assassinís Creed 3 will not be canon. This is great news for those of you who arenít particularly fond of DLC or just want the entire self-contained experience right out of the box.

In an interview with Official Xbox Magazine, lead designer Steve Masters shared why Ubisoft decided to go this route, claiming that it was ultimately the best way to not splinter their audience.

For me, the DLC has always been a touchy thing for putting important story moments into. Ultimately it fractures the audience and makes it really difficult for people to keep up with what is the canon of the series.

For us, we want to have a little fun with it and have a less serious experience, a less earnest experience, and setting it in an alternate history environment gives us room and freedom to play around with things in a more whimsical manner.

Just a few weeks ago, Ubisoft announced their plans for DLC surrounding an alternate history in which George Washington becomes the first evil king of the United States. As we all know, that didnít actually happen, but itís great to see Ubisoft have fun with the creative possibility.

ďWe think people are going to enjoy it, have fun with it Ė weíve just got to remember itís not part of the canon, itís just there as something for players to enjoy,Ē he concluded.

devilanubis
10-23-2012, 05:10 PM
I can't wait for the DLC, season pass downloaded :), I like the what if scenario and the fact that this could've happened if someone wasn't such a goody two shoes :P
And like he says it's a bit of fun so enjoy it :)

FrankieSatt
10-23-2012, 05:16 PM
Sounds like UbiSoft if trying to please "Everyone" by making George Washington into an evil person. **** polictical correctness getting in the way again.

Anyway, doesn't sound like a DLC I'm interested in. If it isn't canon than I'm not interested in it.

HisSpiritLives
10-23-2012, 05:17 PM
This DLC sounds interesting.

eagleforlife1
10-23-2012, 05:17 PM
Sounds like UbiSoft if trying to please "Everyone" by making George Washington into an evil person. **** polictical correctness getting in the way again.

Anyway, doesn't sound like a DLC I'm interested in. If it isn't canon than I'm not interested in it.

^This

freddie_1897
10-23-2012, 05:26 PM
this is almost as politically correct as my school science exams

SpitfireSpud
10-23-2012, 05:31 PM
I don't mind its not canon.. though as long as its not too ridiculous! :)

FrankieSatt
10-23-2012, 05:40 PM
I don't mind its not canon.. though as long as its not too ridiculous! :)

George Washington an Evil King? Not only does it sound ridiculous it's pure assinine. If that's the DLC they want to make fine, but I won't bother with it.

SpitfireSpud
10-23-2012, 05:50 PM
George Washington an Evil King? Not only does it sound ridiculous it's pure assinine. If that's the DLC they want to make fine, but I won't bother with it.

I am not asking you to bother with it... I just think the DLC should be cool to play, don't see why they have to release some DLC that has to follow the main story etc...

Obviously in the DLC, Geogre Washington has the Apple, and declared himself King. So what, it's just a game, and some DLC for a bit of fun... If you don't want to purchase it, then don't. Ubisoft are not forcing you to buy it...

lightlamp
10-23-2012, 06:12 PM
And having magical artefacts and a machine that lets you explore genetic memory isn't ridiculous either? or do you just not want the DLC because there wont be any 'Merica patriot juice in it?

sannyclaus
10-23-2012, 06:31 PM
HO HO HO i'll buy the dlc, i'll be interested to see how georgy boy plays as a villain :D

kidhero99
10-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Reminds me a lot of Infamous: Festival of Blood. It would be cool if they released this DLC in that same fashion, as it's own standalone game, even though they won't. I'm excited for the alternate story though, it seems like it will be pretty exciting to play.

BBALive
10-23-2012, 07:04 PM
I hope the DLC includes additional content outside of quests/missions. New weapons or outfits to purchase or obtain, for example.

Toa TAK
10-23-2012, 07:53 PM
It sounds like they're just doing what Red Dead Redemption did with Undead Nightmare. Which is what I was assuming they'd do. Cool, still looking forward to this experience and it's not like anyone was seriously thinking it was canon.

freddie_1897
10-23-2012, 07:56 PM
It sounds like they're just doing what Red Dead Redemption did with Undead Nightmare. Which is what I was assuming they'd do. Cool, still looking forward to this experience and it's not like anyone was seriously thinking it was canon.
yes, lets hope they don't go one up and do there own version of undead nightmare. oh god i can imagine the marketing for that: " YOU SENT THOSE REDCOATS TO THE GRAVE, NOW SEND THEM BACK AGAIN"

Toa TAK
10-23-2012, 07:58 PM
yes, lets hope they don't go one up and do there own version of undead nightmare. oh god i can imagine the marketing for that: " YOU SENT THOSE REDCOATS TO THE GRAVE, NOW SEND THEM BACK AGAIN"

Pfft. I'd play that. :p

freddie_1897
10-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Pfft. I'd play that. :p
i would too, but it would suck

pacmanate
10-23-2012, 08:05 PM
The only reason they released this statement was because of butt hurt Americans, just saying. And its the truth, any argument against this fact is irrelevant because no one else cares.

xXRyzonXx
10-23-2012, 08:08 PM
The only reason they released this statement was because of butt hurt Americans, just saying. And its the truth, any argument against this fact is irrelevant because no one else cares.

I think if people are butt hurt because they have fun "what if" scenarios then they are stupid.

Also I'm catching up on you on posts ;)
only 3,000 left to go!

Toa TAK
10-23-2012, 08:08 PM

Most of the people who were excited to play this are Americans, such as myself.

kidhero99
10-23-2012, 08:14 PM
yes, lets hope they don't go one up and do there own version of undead nightmare. oh god i can imagine the marketing for that: " YOU SENT THOSE REDCOATS TO THE GRAVE, NOW SEND THEM BACK AGAIN"Well, Christmas is coming up so there is still hope.

Gil_217
10-23-2012, 08:21 PM
I'm still going to get the SP DLC and play the hell out of it because I love this series to death but this is just plain idiotic, one of the most stupid decisions they could ever make.

Where in the **** is the motivation to play this?? I speak for myself, I'll be only playing that because it's Assassin's Creed, there's no more reasons, and I bet I will NOT enjoy this DLC like I enjoyed the others because I don't really have a reason to play it, it's just an alternate scenario, it's not canon, it's not important, it doesn't have any relevance, there's absolutely no motivation, no real reason to play it.

I'm really disappointed.

xXRyzonXx
10-23-2012, 08:23 PM
I'm still going to get the SP DLC and play the hell out of it because I love this series to death but this is just plain idiotic, one of the most stupid decisions they could ever made.

Where in the **** is the motivation to play this?? I speak for myself, I'll be only playing that because it's Assassin's Creed, there's no more reasons, and I bet I will NOT enjoy this DLC like I enjoyed the others because I don't really have a reason to play it, it's just an alternate scenario, it's not canon, it's not important, it doesn't have any relevance, there's absolutely no motivation, no real reason to play it.

I'm really disappointed.

QQ Much?

pacmanate
10-23-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm still going to get the SP DLC and play the hell out of it because I love this series to death but this is just plain idiotic, one of the most stupid decisions they could ever make.

I'm really disappointed.

Don't buy it then.

Gil_217
10-23-2012, 08:36 PM
Don't buy it then.

I think I was pretty clear when I said that I will still buy it, and I explained why, I was just stating my opinion regarding their decision to make the SP DLC not canon.

Can't I state my opinion in a forum?

kidhero99
10-23-2012, 08:37 PM
I think I was pretty clear when I said that I will still buy it, and I explained why, I was just stating my opinion regarding their decision to make the SP DLC not canon.

Can't I state my opinion in a forum?No

freddie_1897
10-23-2012, 08:37 PM

Can't I state my opinion in a forum?
no, not allowed. read the rules.

Gil_217
10-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Sorry then, I'm leaving right now.

Pardon me.

freddie_1897
10-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Sorry then, I'm leaving right now.

Pardon me.
you are pardoned. just don't do it again

POP1Fan
10-23-2012, 08:41 PM
Awesome. Don't like it, don't buy it. I, for one, hope to get the chance to crack Little George's head with the Tomahawk.

SaintPerkele
10-23-2012, 08:42 PM

I'm really disappointed.
Not to be rude, but if you're playing a game only because of its story, than you would be better off watching a movie or reading a good book. The Assassin's Creed gameplay is usually fantastic, and the story (Although not canon, so what? It allows them to be more creative and introduce some non-historically accurate story twists) will be fantastic from what I can tell.
Undead Nightmare was one of the most popular DLCs ever and it's hardly canon as far as I know (as a PC gamer, I never had the pleasure of owning RDR).

I'm playing AC for multiple aspects: the main canon, the story which does not have much significance to the overall story-arc, the gameplay and, most of all, the beautiful environments. I just hope that they'll introduce some of these in the DLC which are historically accurate, so that after finishing the DLC you can run around in beautifully recreated cities.

Also, I would love it if the alternate universe would be implemented in the main story in a creative way. Maybe in a scene where Washington wants to give the Apple he borrowed from Connor (or whatever will happen in AC3) back to him and Connor suggests that he'll keep it, then touches the apple and suddenly sees the possible future (the DLC in this case) in which Washington is corrupted due to having the Apple for too long, and after the whole DLC Connor says something along the lines of "Nah, you know what, I changed my mind, I'd rather take it back." :D

naran6142
10-23-2012, 08:45 PM
HO HO HO i'll buy the dlc, i'll be interested to see how georgy boy plays as a villain :D

first i read ur post, then i saw ur avatar, then i read ur name...

kidhero99
10-23-2012, 11:11 PM
Awesome. Don't like it, don't buy it. I, for one, hope to get the chance to crack Little George's head with the Tomahawk.you are such a patriot :(

LightRey
10-24-2012, 12:05 AM
As long as it's fun I don't mind. The possibility of canonical DLC seemed slim to begin with, considering Desmond's story should be over at the end of the game, so he shouldn't have anything to do anymore.

TheAquila
10-24-2012, 12:09 AM
Whether it be King George or General G.W. himself, I'll gleefully smash my tomahawk in whoever's face Ubisoft let's me.

Tetsou88
10-24-2012, 12:59 AM

Compared to all the Butt Hurt British people complaining about the killing of redcoats?

kidhero99
10-24-2012, 05:38 AM
A shame that one cannot buy this DLC as a standalone. I'm more interested in the Tyranny of King Washington than in this overhyped, revisionist machine called AC3.

Assassin_M
10-24-2012, 05:43 AM
Compared to all the Butt Hurt British people complaining about the killing of redcoats?
Hey, Buddy..

Some Americans are butt hurting, yeah ? Its a fact..
And yes, compared with the Butt hurting Brits, Butt hurt Americans were so much more.. Just look at the promotional Poster on the Official AC FB page..

kidhero99
10-24-2012, 06:24 AM
Hey, Buddy..

Some Americans are butt hurting, yeah ? Its a fact..
And yes, compared with the Butt hurting Brits, Butt hurt Americans were so much more.. Just look at the promotional Poster on the Official AC FB page..oh snap

GreatBeyonder
10-24-2012, 06:55 AM
I am sad to say I know at least one person who needed to be told that George Washington did not actually crown himself king of America...

Assassin_M
10-24-2012, 06:58 AM
I am sad to say I know at least one person who needed to be told that George Washington did not actually crown himself king of America...
Wait What ?

xXRyzonXx
10-24-2012, 07:01 AM

:confused:

SpitfireSpud
10-24-2012, 07:01 AM

Are you serious?

I see more Americans on forums and social sites saying "oh the Brits are moaning" or "The Butt hurt British are complaining" ... It seems everyone else seems to have a hang up over this OTHER than most British people, why??

Because they can understand it's a game, it's not a direct attack at them as a nation or race or whatever!!

I can't understand why there is so much rubbish about killing Redcoats... Every other game has people killing other nations etc... heck, the previous AC games had you killing Italians, Spanish, French, and everyone in between!

Its only a game!

Assassin_M
10-24-2012, 07:06 AM
Are you serious?

I see more Americans on forums and social sites saying "oh the Brits are moaning" or "The Butt hurt British are complaining" ... It seems everyone else seems to have a hang up over this OTHER than most British people, why??

Because they can understand it's a game, it's not a direct attack at them as a nation or race or whatever!!

I can't understand why there is so much rubbish about killing Redcoats... Every other game has people killing other nations etc... heck, the previous AC games had you killing Italians, Spanish, French, and everyone in between!

Its only a game!
NEVER use the "Its just a game" argument.

It is tasteless, baseless and Uninspired. Video games are a form of Art Entertainment. Just like Books, Comics, Movies...etc

So Please, do not use that phrase again, because blatantly, it just sucks..

GreatBeyonder
10-24-2012, 07:11 AM
Wait What ?

Yep. These people exist.

And I agree that 'Its only a _____' is not a valid excuse when milions of people will experience it.

xXRyzonXx
10-24-2012, 07:14 AM

It is tasteless, baseless and Uninspired. Video games are a form of Art Entertainment. Just like Books, Comics, Movies...etc

Calm down M, its just a game...

Sorry, I couldn't help myself ;)

Assassin_M
10-24-2012, 07:25 AM
Calm down M, its just a game...

Sorry, I couldn't help myself ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXhFOeFh5O4

FinalJ1
10-24-2012, 07:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXhFOeFh5O4

Ok who called the 'light bright' alien.

SpitfireSpud
10-24-2012, 08:54 AM

its not an argument, its not tasteless, or whatever other dribble you want to start spouting like you normally do on here, thinking you can speak down to whoever you want, just because you are hiding behind you PC. All I am saying is why people are getting so worked up over Redcoats/British, whatever getting killed in AC..

Americans seem to have more of an issue than most when it comes to things like this, why I don't know... Most people from the UK seem less bothered than they do!

that is my point!

Heaven forbid if they ever decide bring out an AC game where the Americans are the bad guys & getting killed!

Assassin_M
10-24-2012, 09:02 AM
its not an argument, its not tasteless, or whatever other dribble you want to start spouting like you normally do on here, thinking you can speak down to whoever you want, just because you are hiding behind you PC. All I am saying is why people are getting so worked up over Redcoats/British, whatever getting killed in AC..

Americans seem to have more of an issue than most when it comes to things like this, why I don't know... Most people from the UK seem less bothered than they do!

that is my point!

Heaven forbid if they ever decide bring out an AC game where the Americans are the bad guys & getting killed!

Nah, Its tasteless...Baseless and, since you seem to mistake me for an Idiot, Stupid..(I tried putting it in respectful terms, but since you eliminated that Oh well)

That excuse does not put you in a position of advantage during a discussion, on the contrary, it makes you look desperate and Ignorant..I also take offense to "Its just a game" Because I am soon to be a game designer. Its work. hard work. When I find a random kid on a gaming forum saying "Its just a game" It makes me mad.. makes me think that everything I wish to become is pointless..

So have some respect when talking about games, THAT was my point..

Also, I`m not hiding behind my PC or speaking down to ya... Just because i took issue with your stance does not mean that you can act all tough BEHIND a PC screen, yeah ?

SpitfireSpud
10-24-2012, 11:42 AM
Nah, Its tasteless...Baseless and, since you seem to mistake me for an Idiot, Stupid..(I tried putting it in respectful terms, but since you eliminated that Oh well)

That excuse does not put you in a position of advantage during a discussion, on the contrary, it makes you look desperate and Ignorant..I also take offense to "Its just a game" Because I am soon to be a game designer. Its work. hard work. When I find a random kid on a gaming forum saying "Its just a game" It makes me mad.. makes me think that everything I wish to become is pointless..

So have some respect when talking about games, THAT was my point..

Also, I`m not hiding behind my PC or speaking down to ya... Just because i took issue with your stance does not mean that you can act all tough BEHIND a PC screen, yeah ?

[Random Kid?? I am probably older than you anyway]

I am the one that is ignorant?

So you sit there thinking you are all high and mighty. Thinking, "Hey, I will abuse people on the internet with some fancy grammar" make myself feel better about me! .. I never once said or thought of you as an idiot. But you just think that its okay to call me stupid, desperate and ignorant? You can call me what you want, it makes no difference to me, but the way you respond to peoples posts, and belittle them is ridiculous!

Great attitude on life you have by the way... Hope it serves you well in your "bright future"

Dizlol
10-24-2012, 12:11 PM
So all the single player DLC will be non canon? that's a bummer, i'm fine with some what if stuff.
But i shouldn't jump to conclusions yet, AC3 finishes like ACR did, actually finishing the life of the ancestor.
CANNOT WAIT.