PDA

View Full Version : More OT - Advice on French Vacation

redlte
02-11-2004, 08:13 PM
Not Normandie for the family [my wish], as my wife reminds me that I got Duxford last July.
Instead, will be flying in and out of Paris and staying in:
1. April 4 - 5
in St. Emilion, Bordeaux region
2. April 6th - 10th
in Sarlat La Caneda
3. Last few days -
Near Disney Paris [OK, OK, American tourist hell, but we have an 8.y.o. who has never been to any Disney park, so ... ]
Any advice on historic places to visit, preferrably WWII-related?
Thanks in advance!

redlte
02-11-2004, 08:13 PM
Not Normandie for the family [my wish], as my wife reminds me that I got Duxford last July.
Instead, will be flying in and out of Paris and staying in:
1. April 4 - 5
in St. Emilion, Bordeaux region
2. April 6th - 10th
in Sarlat La Caneda
3. Last few days -
Near Disney Paris [OK, OK, American tourist hell, but we have an 8.y.o. who has never been to any Disney park, so ... ]
Any advice on historic places to visit, preferrably WWII-related?
Thanks in advance!

redlte
02-12-2004, 07:05 PM
Bump.

TheGozr
02-13-2004, 11:08 AM
There are so much to see , take the time to enjoy the peoples and sceneries.

But i'm going to tell you the secret of the french Culture. You have to know this tiny thing but it will change the whole vacation.

The MOST important thing to do when you will be there is to respect the time and effort some will give you.
To be well accepted you have to say Hello first, Like " Bonjour" so they 'll see that you reconize them and respect their ideas and culture.
Before any starting coversation YOU MUST SAY "Bonjour" when you enter in a private room or small store SAY "BONJOUR" la courtoisie is a MUST.
When you live the room say"AUREVOIR"( bye )
Infact you have to square the conversation with "Bonjour( first) and "Aurevoir" at the end

Only this will change your entire deal with those vacations.
Be respectful and you'll be respected.

In France not to say Hello or bye is the rudest thing to do and if you do not do it they will make you feel it.
Don't forget the Frenchs are Frank.

Trust me, they is no other way. none.
This is a basic that many peoples in The US don't get .

-GOZR
http://www.french.themotorhead.com/themotorhead_fighters/images/pix/il2fbtmhlogosmall.jpg <--Uncensored version IL2fb here (http://www.french.themotorhead.com/themotorhead_fighters/)

jeroen_R90S
02-13-2004, 12:41 PM
As I usually travel with my camper van, and don't plan a lot of things ahead, (nothing in fact...*cough*) I can't really give you much tips on nice places to go to, although I usually do go to France on vacation...

Like Gozr said, enjoy the people and the scenery. Too bad you're not there in June or you could have gone to La Ferté Alais airshow. (very close to Paris!) The Museé d' l' Air, also close to Paris, is also worth visiting. Maybe you knew this already, but you'll never know http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
As I am more interested in WWI stuff, I can't help you that much further on WWII. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif There was not much fighting in Bordeaux and surroundings, most interesting and preserved places are indeed in Normandy.

For your 8 y.o., Parc Astérix might be very cool, they've got the biggest wooden rollercoaster of Europe, although I'm sure in the US there are even bigger ones. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
It's also very close to Paris.

Hope this helps *somewhat*...

Jeroen

PS after 18:00 hours, use "bonsoir" to greet... Dunno if you've been to France before?

horseback
02-13-2004, 07:10 PM
Haven't been to France since I was 10, but if you're going to take an eight year old to Disneyland, my advice is to let him go and do the things he wants there, keep the photos strictly candid, and tell him the minute he gets whiny or says that he's tired, you're all going back to the hotel.

I live in easy driving distance of the original, and have two energetic boys (a 'stampede' of boys if you will), 11 & 13, and the policies above guarantee (generally)good behavior from them at Disneyland. It's a kids' place, not a grownup's place, and if they don't want to do the educational things or the things they're 'supposed' to want to do because it's Disneyland, then don't make them (trust me, it will cost you less most of the time).

The key to surviving Disney parks is to wear comfortable shoes, drink plenty of fluids, set clear and firm rules for behavior, and follow the kid. If he has fun, you will too.

Cheers

horseback

PS -I really envy you the Duxford trip.

"Here's your new Mustangs, boys. You can learn to fly'em on the way to the target. Cheers!" -LTCOL Don Blakeslee, 4th FG CO, February 27th, 1944

NegativeGee
02-13-2004, 07:17 PM
Well, if you get into Paris itself, go to the Arc de Triomphe (I prefered the view from up top to that from the Eiffel Tower).

Also, Notre Dame is quite something.

Finally, if you do make it to Paris, grab a freebie street map and look for the influence of WW2...

"As weaponry, both were good, but in far different ways from each other. In a nutshell, I describe it this way: if the FW 190 was a sabre, the 109 was a florett, or foil, like that used in the precision art of fencing." - Gunther Rall

http://www.invoman.com/images/tali_with_hands.jpg

Look Noobie, we already told you, we don't have the Patch!

AcesHigh_AVG
02-13-2004, 07:33 PM
I spent alot of time in Dijon. Its a little out of your way, but I really liked it. Its kind of like paris in a way, but smaller. There are several small towns near Dijon that are cool. One of my favorites is Beaune. Its an old medieval town, it seems almost untouched by modern times in terms of its architecture. Dijon is nearly the same. The center-ville of Dijon will give you a great opportunity to walk around. Alot of places to eat and architecture to see. Lots of wine manufacturers. If your interested in Dijon I can give you some great places to eat.

nickdanger3
02-13-2004, 07:55 PM
WOW ! What a great trip. Can't give any tips on the Normandie part but that's great that you're headed to Sarlat. I worked on and archeological dig right near there and what I'd recommend (besides the amazing food)are the amazing paleolithic sites - try to visit Lascaux and Les Eyzies.

Oh, right. WWII

Right near ourdig house is a memorial to a massacre by retreating German troops during WWII - that's in Carsac. Also, the resistance found the many caves in the region a very effective hideout.