PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed Series - Poor Menu Interface Design

DiamondBlade_R
10-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Seriously, this has been bugging me for some time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Assassin's Creed is one of the most prestigious franchises on the market today; it is held in high regard by critics and is one of the more popular franchises among gamers. It's up there with Uncharted and other highly acclaimed franchises. That being said, how can the developers behind AC afford to have such poorly designed menu interfaces in their games? Let me explain: starting with AC2, we were given the option to skip cutscenes. That's all well and good, except that whenever we choose to do so, the game has to load whatever's after the cutscene - the result being that while we don't have to sit there to watch a cutscene, we still have to sit there watching a loading screen. What do we gain from such an option?

That also applies to declining a mission: why does the game have to go to loading every time we decline a mission? What is this, punishment? Why does AC have to fail where so many other games have succeeded? Even though I have zero knowledge in programming, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to make it so that the game doesn't have to reload every time we decline a mission.

Starting with ACB, we've also had the option to restart the memory we're currently playing. Once again, whenever we utilize that option, the game has to reload the memory before actually restarting it. Many times I've used this option in race missions, when it was obvious that I wouldn't win, and so I wanted to restart the mission instead of having to wait until the timer reached zero. The thing is that restarting the mission doesn't even fulfill that purpose; when restarting a mission you have to wait 10-15 seconds for it to reload, so even if you have, say, 30 seconds until the timer runs out, you only gain 15-20 seconds of "not waiting" when restarting a mission.

I really don't think addressing these issues would be hard. Is there a chance Ubigabe would acknowledge the developers of this thread?

HisSpiritLives
10-14-2012, 01:27 PM
Seriously, this has been bugging me for some time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Assassin's Creed is one of the most prestigious franchises on the market today; it is held in high regard by critics and is one of the more popular franchises among gamers. It's up there with Uncharted and other highly acclaimed franchises. That being said, how can the developers behind AC afford to have such poorly designed menu interfaces in their games? Let me explain: starting with AC2, we were given the option to skip cutscenes. That's all well and good, except that whenever we choose to do so, the game has to load whatever's after the cutscene - the result being that while we don't have to sit there to watch a cutscene, we still have to sit there watching a loading screen. What do we gain from such an option?

That also applies to declining a mission: why does the game have to go to loading every time we decline a mission? What is this, punishment? Why does AC have to fail where so many other games have succeeded? Even though I have zero knowledge in programming, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to make it so that the game doesn't have to reload every time we decline a mission.

Starting with ACB, we've also had the option to restart the memory we're currently playing. Once again, whenever we utilize that option, the game has to reload the memory before actually restarting it. Many times I've used this option in race missions, when it was obvious that I wouldn't win, and so I wanted to restart the mission instead of having to wait until the timer reached zero. The thing is that restarting the mission doesn't even fulfill that purpose; when restarting a mission you have to wait 10-15 seconds for it to reload, so even if you have, say, 30 seconds until the timer runs out, you only gain 15-20 seconds of "not waiting" when restarting a mission.

I really don't think addressing these issues would be hard. Is there a chance Ubigabe would acknowledge the developers of this thread?

I like that loading stuff and did you noticed that you dont have to save game every time you want to quit , i think that is big +

eagleforlife1
10-14-2012, 01:28 PM

Agreed.

Jexx21
10-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Nothing you complained about has anything to do with the menu interface.

The menu is that thing that appears when you click start/select(whatever the button is).

TheDanteEX
10-14-2012, 02:43 PM
I'm sure most people disregard those mild annoyances and look at the games for what they really are. Great.

Soulid_Snake
10-14-2012, 02:52 PM

It's poor design, it's annoying as it breaks you away from your plan of action.

Jexx21
10-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Actually, it's probably harder than you think...

Ielgon
10-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Nothing you complained about has anything to do with the menu interface.

The menu is that thing that appears when you click start/select(whatever the button is).

This, it has to do with the way the game keeps things in memory. The moment you talk to someone about a mission the game already freezes all NPC's and gets ready to put the entire world into "mission state" (basically it's already doing part of the loading/transition process) if you then decline it has to quickly reload the "normal state". Also keep in mind that AC has a lot of NPCs, AI and a big world to load, which is why the loading time is relatively long. Games that have more focused missions/are more linear basically don't have loading times anymore because everything can be loaded before you arrive. Loading all objects in a room takes less long than loading all objects in a world (if you play Skyrim you can see it, even if you play it on a powerful pc: loading a building/room is a lot quicker than exiting that building/room and loading Skyrim).

And the cutscene thing is a common technique nowadays: hide the loading process in the background while the player has something to watch so that when it's done the game will already be done loading. If you choose to skip the cutscene the game is not done loading in the background so it goes through the normal loading process, simple as that.

If it is any consolation: Anvil Next is supposedly a lot faster, and load times have been reduced too. Things we previously got a loading screen for also seem to have been removed (like declining a mission).

pacmanate
10-14-2012, 03:39 PM
Actually, it's probably harder than you think...

Even so, other games can do it quicker. Besides judging from all the demos we have seen, it seems like reloading last checkpoint takes like 3 seconds :D

Jexx21
10-14-2012, 04:17 PM
has anyone else noticed that pretty much all of OP's topics have been negative?

HisSpiritLives
10-14-2012, 04:24 PM
has anyone else noticed that pretty much all of OP's topics have been negative?

That is little off topic.