PDA

View Full Version : Can enemies freerun and cougars climb trees ?

JordanPollard
10-13-2012, 07:40 PM
?

Assassin_M
10-13-2012, 07:41 PM
We do not know..

pacmanate
10-13-2012, 07:56 PM
/Close Thread :P

But yeah we don't know.. I would at least like bears to stand up and just RAWR at us when perching on a branch or something. There are rooftop guards in certain areas but we don't know if other guards can run up there too if they see you.

ACfan443
10-13-2012, 08:03 PM
Lol, if we were able to hang bears with a rope dart, it would take realism to a whole new low.

Anyway, we don't know if enemies can free run, or that cougars can climb trees, but I would like to think they can, it'd be great!

pacmanate
10-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Lol, if we were able to hang bears with a rope dart, it would take realism to a whole new low.

Anyway, we don't know if enemies can free run, or that cougars can climb trees, but I would like to think they can, it'd be great!

Rope darting a rabbit would be fun though :D

ACfan443
10-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Rope darting a rabbit would be fun though :D

HA! *innocent rabbit hops by* *throws rope dart* *squelch* *rabbit squeaks to death*

I could see it working for a small deer/medium sized animal. But then there's the trouble of getting it down to skin it.

MetalCreed
10-13-2012, 08:10 PM
I doubt. This sort of AI may not be tested until next gen. You know how difficult it would be to code cougars to climb trees that vary in shape and sizes? It'd be awesome, but having to go to so much trouble for one animal that has a special ability on top of all the crazy stuff Ubisoft has worked on for the past 3 years, I highly doubt it will be in the game. If it was some major component of the game to have highly realistic A.I of animals then it would be a plausible feat. But they aren't going to such high extent.
And as for guards free running-- they aren't trained that way so that would be dumb. Redcoats and not acrobatic assassins, and rebels fought like guerrillas which was frowned upon by the British. It would make no sense historically if they could free run. For one thing though...There will be rooftop guards, and if they carry muskets then you have your challenge.

that's my 2 cents

TheDanteEX
10-13-2012, 08:14 PM
I can't imagine a guard with a musket free-running, but it would make for an amusing sight. I don't doubt there will be certain archetypes that are better free-runners than others.

stingray10
10-13-2012, 08:15 PM
My dirt mind is taking me somewhere it shouldn't, back on topic, don't know. Enemies can climb for sure, but to what extent their free running capabilities are unknown.

pacmanate
10-13-2012, 09:16 PM
My dirt mind is taking me somewhere it shouldn't, back on topic, don't know. Enemies can climb for sure, but to what extent their free running capabilities are unknown.

Hahahaha can cougers climb trees :P

Assassin_M
10-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Hahahaha can cougers climb trees :P
:|

BBALive
10-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Guards can climb buildings, don't know about trees.

BlankDistortion
10-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Yeah, Cougars can climb trees, it was confirmed by one of the forum members that got to play early to help out with his Magazine. He answered a lot of questions. He specifically said something about how it was annoying when they jump on your back while in the trees I believe.

I know nothing about enemies, but there is probably and archetype for them, considering that they existed from ACII until now.

HisSpiritLives
10-13-2012, 09:33 PM
Yeah, Cougars can climb trees, it was confirmed by one of the forum members that got to play early to help out with his Magazine. He answered a lot of questions. He specifically said something about how it was annoying when they jump on your back while in the trees I believe.

I know nothing about enemies, but there is probably and archetype for them, considering that they existed from ACII until now.

That is nice.

pacmanate
10-13-2012, 09:58 PM
OH MY GOD that is awesome.

BlankDistortion
10-13-2012, 10:02 PM
Glad I could help inform you, I guess. He said something else about bears too, let me see real quick... Here is the original reveal of it (Spoiler) :

"It is true but only if you wish to do so (aim at them). You can choose not to by climbing a tree if you provoked them by shooting them or if you shorten the distance (bears) they warned you."

Escappa
10-13-2012, 10:02 PM
It's cool, but it would be too annoying if it happened a lot.

Aphex_Tim
10-13-2012, 10:04 PM

Nah, that'll just make Connor a whole lot more manly.

BlankDistortion
10-13-2012, 10:06 PM
The member that wrote about it did mention that the animal will give you some sort of warning, and will only come to attack if you get to close or provoke them I believe.

I'm not sure if there are any random encounters of them jumping at you though, it might make an interesting addition, considering that they need to eat too.

pacmanate
10-13-2012, 10:12 PM
That is totally amazing :D

Soulid_Snake
10-13-2012, 10:43 PM
I'm pretty sure enemies will be able to freerun, as they did in previous, because if they don't whats gonna stop you from perching in a tree, apart from being knocked down with a rock. As for Cougars, I think that's asking for too much!

pacmanate
10-13-2012, 10:44 PM
I'm pretty sure enemies will be able to freerun, as they did in previous, because if they don't whats gonna stop you from perching in a tree, apart from being knocked down with a rock. As for Cougars, I think that's asking for too much!

Its confirmed by that press guy that they attack you and climb trees.

BlankDistortion
10-13-2012, 10:50 PM
Oh, and another feature confirmed in one of IGN's Making of Assassin's Creed III videos, the soldiers can't notice you all that well from the branches of trees down below. You will be harder to detect. As for enemies freerunning you, there has been an archetype since ACII that can climb like you can, so it is assumable. Not sure about the forest, but we might just have to wait and see.

Lass4r
10-13-2012, 10:53 PM
Oh, and another feature confirmed in one of IGN's Making of Assassin's Creed III videos, the soldiers can't notice you all that well from the branches of trees down below. You will be harder to detect. As for enemies freerunning you, there has been an archetype since ACII that can climb like you can, so it is assumable. Not sure about the forest, but we might just have to wait and see.
Isn't it kinda obvious that you'll be harder to detect up in the tress than down on the ground?

BlankDistortion
10-13-2012, 10:59 PM
Isn't it kinda obvious that you'll be harder to detect up in the tress than down on the ground?

Harder to detect than you are in Cities, I meant. Like they won't be able to notice you easily in the trees, while they can see you on the buildings.
My main point was more the fact that even when you are in relatively plain sight on a branch, the walking line of soldiers below you will have a hard time noticing you, even when a little bit farther forward.
^If you get what I mean.

Lass4r
10-13-2012, 11:46 PM
Harder to detect than you are in Cities, I meant. Like they won't be able to notice you easily in the trees, while they can see you on the buildings.
My main point was more the fact that even when you are in relatively plain sight on a branch, the walking line of soldiers below you will have a hard time noticing you, even when a little bit farther forward.
^If you get what I mean.
Yea I get you, but are you sure about that? That's strange...

BlankDistortion
10-14-2012, 12:04 AM
Yea I get you, but are you sure about that? That's strange...

Well, I didn't mean plain sight in full, but think of it this way. We have a group of soldiers in a formation, patrolling down the trail in the frontier. We have Ratonhnhaké:ton up in a tree branch, possibly 10 feet or so above them. Your chances of being noticed with actions and such are pretty low. However, I must say I was a bit wrong, or at least I can't confirm what I said. The actual quote specifically said that you are more hidden in the trees than on the ground. I am just assuming from that, that you are shielded by the large branches and the actual parts of the tree. I am just going to safely assume that you are less noticeable in the trees than you are on the rooftops in a city. In the video though, the player was going at a fast speed, so I am assuming that is what tipped the soldiers off. Sorry for the mistake, I should have seen the video again before talking about it. Here is the link if you want to see yourself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5bqQPVRpXU The time was 4:52

doogsy91
10-14-2012, 12:29 AM
The thief at the homestead in the sequence 6 gameplay video was freerunning as he crossed the river. It wasn't showed, but I'd be willing to bet he also ran down the fallen tree that Connor ran down.

Calvarok
10-14-2012, 02:47 AM
They showed animations for cougars scaling rocky environments with leaps and bounds. And I think it's to be expected that enemies can do it.

Evenesque
10-14-2012, 03:26 AM
Well, I didn't mean plain sight in full, but think of it this way. We have a group of soldiers in a formation, patrolling down the trail in the frontier. We have Ratonhnhaké:ton up in a tree branch, possibly 10 feet or so above them. Your chances of being noticed with actions and such are pretty low. However, I must say I was a bit wrong, or at least I can't confirm what I said. The actual quote specifically said that you are more hidden in the trees than on the ground. I am just assuming from that, that you are shielded by the large branches and the actual parts of the tree. I am just going to safely assume that you are less noticeable in the trees than you are on the rooftops in a city. In the video though, the player was going at a fast speed, so I am assuming that is what tipped the soldiers off. Sorry for the mistake, I should have seen the video again before talking about it. Here is the link if you want to see yourself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5bqQPVRpXU The time was 4:52

Their ID's changed color, but we don't know exactly what that means in that context. Especially considering those soldiers did absolutely nothing to indicate they were onto Connor. Maybe it's just a range indicator for a mission parameter?

BlankDistortion
10-14-2012, 04:02 AM
Their ID's changed color, but we don't know exactly what that means in that context. Especially considering those soldiers did absolutely nothing to indicate they were onto Connor. Maybe it's just a range indicator for a mission parameter?
I figure they noticed him, if you actually look really closely they will look up more at him and focus before the transition. However, they didn't really do anything, and they only real reason he was noticed was because the one playing had literally charged loudly overtop them. I doubt the player would have been seen otherwise. You're right though, we have no idea what the red arrows could truly mean, considering that they may have more implied facts now. I mean, they hardly cared in the slightest and they had bulging red arrows over their heads. I don't know.