PDA

View Full Version : "AC3 should be focused entirely on Desmond"

Slayer_WTF
10-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Yes, I know it's old news, but I wanted to discuss with you. You think it's a business decision to enter Connor in the saga, instead of giving the necessary space to Desmond?

Question: Regarding Desmond, is the gameplay in AC3? Or is it just like in the "puzzle" of ACR or in the small part of combat in AC2?

Bergeron: For me it was on the wish list personal AC1. At the time of AC1, AC3 everything had to be in the present, but things change over time. In any case it's always been something I wanted to be present in part in the present, we have tried in every way to take it off but I managed to do it alone and so I hope you have fun playing it.

The question is: an AC set in the present sell more than one AC in the past?

Why Ubisoft has made ​​this choice? They did not know how to create an AC in the present? Bergeron even said that Ubisoft want to removed the part of Des, and he did everything he could to get him a substantial part.

nitres15
10-09-2012, 03:11 PM
pffffffffffffffffffffffffff hahahahahaha!... wait, is he serious ?

Slayer_WTF
10-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Of course.

ProletariatPleb
10-09-2012, 03:23 PM
That would be the day when I stop playing AC. No present day please, it won't work.

SixKeys
10-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Why Ubisoft has made ​​this choice? They did not know how to create an AC in the present? Bergeron even said that Ubisoft want to removed the part of Des, and he did everything he could to get him a substantial part.

Easy: because the game wouldn't sell half as well without the historical angle.

Slayer_WTF
10-09-2012, 03:37 PM
AC is not Animus + Past, please..

Calvarok
10-09-2012, 03:59 PM
AC can "work" no matter what time it's set in. Hitman does a fine job of making a crowd-stealthy modern game, and AC could bring its own style to that.

SixKeys
10-09-2012, 04:04 PM
AC is not Animus + Past, please..

Most people see it that way though. If you look at the reactions to AC3's marketing, not many people are going "oh man, I can't wait to play as Desmond!". They're way more interested in Connor. Ubi realized long ago that the historical settings were the biggest selling point of the franchise.

LightRey
10-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Assassin's Creed is a game about history (among other things of course, but it is one of its primary themes). I find it highly unlikely there was ever supposed to be an all-Desmond game.

projectpat06
10-09-2012, 04:19 PM
I honestly hope they never make a game with just present day or just in the past. The whole reliving the past through the animus is what makes Assassins Creed unique. It also provides for two separate intriguing stories. I would never want the game to take away from reliving history bc that's why I'm drawn to the games, but I also don't want to see the desmond portions go because they served as a nice break or change in pace to the gameplay. It'll be interesting to see what Ubi does for the next title in terms of the present day character. Heck it'll be really interesting to see what happens to desmond in AC3 and if there's even a chance for him to be in the next game

LoyalACFan
10-09-2012, 04:27 PM
I honestly hope they never make a game with just present day or just in the past. The whole reliving the past through the animus is what makes Assassins Creed unique. It also provides for two separate intriguing stories. I would never want the game to take away from reliving history bc that's why I'm drawn to the games, but I also don't want to see the desmond portions go because they served as a nice break or change in pace to the gameplay. It'll be interesting to see what Ubi does for the next title in terms of the present day character. Heck it'll be really interesting to see what happens to desmond in AC3 and if there's even a chance for him to be in the next game

Same. Anyway, they've been discussing a Revolution-era setting since the end of AC2's development, so I dunno why everybody's acting like they tacked it on at the last second to boost sales... Anyway, even if they did plan to make AC3 an all-Desmond game, they obviously took some of that material and used it for the Desmond portions of ACB. His story is still going to be told.

FirestarLuva
10-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Everyone is hyped about Connor! I doubt even half of them are excited to play as Desmond in AC3. I know I'm not.

pacmanate
10-09-2012, 04:36 PM
For a game about Desmond they really haven't pushed people to want to play him or know the modern story.

Stroonzje
10-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Desmond is a huge part in Assassin's Creed, he makes AC work, without him it would be.. just a game about history with a dab of awesomeness, but desmond makes it unique something that hasnt been done. I agree i don't think a whole Desmond game would be a good idea but we shouldn't just get rid of him, i think the desmond parts are for more hardcore or older players that really get into the story and play it for the story not just the awesomeness (:

Slayer_WTF
10-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Desmond is a huge part in Assassin's Creed, he makes AC work, without him it would be.. just a game about history with a dab of awesomeness, but desmond makes it unique something that hasnt been done. I agree i don't think a whole Desmond game would be a good idea but we shouldn't just get rid of him, i think the desmond parts are for more hardcore or older players that really get into the story and play it for the story not just the awesomeness (:

This. They are casual not even know who is Des.

Being a fan of historical saga, just like you, I expect a reward for having followed for 5 years, the exploits of Desmond Miles.

CalgaryJay
10-09-2012, 05:31 PM
That would be the day when I stop playing AC. No present day please, it won't work.

Exactly. As a Canadian we didn't learn about the American Revolution in school very much like American students do, so I've been trying to bone up on my history of this period and started watching an American Revolution 6 part series on Youtube (originally aired on History Channel). Just started part 1 last night, and I couldn't believe how many "I'm here for AC3" comments there were underneath.

The history of the period is clearly a huge draw of this series, take out that element and you'll have a lot less sales, myself included.

pacmanate
10-09-2012, 05:55 PM
As an British Citizen all I know is Hitler is bad.

ACfan443
10-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Assassin's Creed is a game about history (among other things of course, but it is one of its primary themes). I find it highly unlikely there was ever supposed to be an all-Desmond game.

I definitely think there was. It was originally supposed to be a trilogy, with Desmond picking up skills over two games, then becoming a master assassin in the third. Phillippe worked on AC1 and said himself that AC3 was originally supposed to all about Desmond, and I believe him. But obviously, plans change.

DavisP92
10-09-2012, 07:05 PM
AC can "work" no matter what time it's set in. Hitman does a fine job of making a crowd-stealthy modern game, and AC could bring its own style to that.

I have to disagree with this statement, you can't compare hitman to AC. The play style in AC is completely different, you climb buildings do hand to hand combat and assassinate people with hidden blades and what not. If it was all in the present then there wouldn't really be any hand to hand combat, guns would be everywhere and you really couldn't climb buildings. AC wouldn't work as a full game in the present without changing what makes it Assassin's Creed.

Also the developers have already stated that Assassin's creed is a game about a guy that relives the lives of his ancestors, they would also have to change the concept behind AC. (but that concept shouldn't be a problem, the fundamental idea of how you play ac would be though)

kriegerdesgottes
10-09-2012, 07:07 PM
The appeal to AC has little to nothing to do with Desmond or the present. It has everything to do with history and recreating things that have long passed and being an awesome ninja/assassin/batman type of character while being there. That is what keeps me buying the games. I can assure you with 100% certainty that I would never buy an all present game. I doubt that I am alone in that statement.

DeSabellis
10-09-2012, 07:08 PM
For a game about Desmond they really haven't pushed people to want to play him or know the modern story.

That's part of the problem. AC1 had us wondering what was going to happen to Desmond next... it was intriguing right? Then what happened? He was given an extremely small role in AC2 and thats when people started to lose interest. They didn't expose him enough and they didn't use him properly.

You can't have a past only AC game, or a present only game, because the main concept of Assassins Creed isn't history, it's DUALISM. Two stories that feed off each other. Besides, it doesn't matter what time period the game is set in, they can make it work. There are over 300 experienced developers working on this series, they can make it work. I just don't get how people think that they can't make firearms work when they have been a huge part of the series, and are one of the main aspects of AC3. I think people fail to see the potential, they just repeat what the last poster says and think "Desmond sucks, blah, I hate the present, blah... Blacklist is lame..." This had been brought up a thousand times when a new game comes out, and all I can say is what would be the point of telling Ezio's, Altair's, or Conner's story without Desmond as the driving force?

matheus_737
10-09-2012, 07:18 PM
the magic is visit other times. Enjoying new culture, new places those stuffs and many more make AC unique and a game only in the present could break that magic or don't be so coll as it is.

kuled2012
10-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Hello Assassins!!! My very first post on this forum and I am quite obsessed about this game :D
I just saw a video of an interview with Philippe Bergeron saying Desmond will have like 1-2 sequences in AC 3
http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3246624

Philippe: If I break it down and compare it to sequences in the game, Desmond has approximately a sequence and a half, to almost two sequences of content to him. He has more, which from the very beginning for me was really important, to actually spend more time with Desmond, because for a certain amount of time, hes been in a rut. Hes been sitting on a chair not really doing anything.

And players have spent a lot of time with him, so we actually wanted to give him time in the game. And we need to address him. We wanted to sort of move him forwards; take him out of that chair, and bring him to the next step, and make him progress as a character. So we spent... it was very important to make that step.

pacmanate
10-09-2012, 08:02 PM
That's part of the problem. AC1 had us wondering what was going to happen to Desmond next... it was intriguing right? Then what happened? He was given an extremely small role in AC2 and thats when people started to lose interest. They didn't expose him enough and they didn't use him properly.

You can't have a past only AC game, or a present only game, because the main concept of Assassins Creed isn't history, it's DUALISM. Two stories that feed off each other. Besides, it doesn't matter what time period the game is set in, they can make it work. There are over 300 experienced developers working on this series, they can make it work. I just don't get how people think that they can't make firearms work when they have been a huge part of the series, and are one of the main aspects of AC3. I think people fail to see the potential, they just repeat what the last poster says and think "Desmond sucks, blah, I hate the present, blah... Blacklist is lame..." This had been brought up a thousand times when a new game comes out, and all I can say is what would be the point of telling Ezio's, Altair's, or Conner's story without Desmond as the driving force?

Exactly, they need to show people that he is actually worth being in the game. Which is another thing! I still see people saying stuff like "Is Desmond in AC3?" quiet a lot. Can you blame them? All we have heard is Connor is a badass, had a bad childhood. Literally that is all we know about Connor. But nothing about Desmond being in here at all, and it is his last game! His last game and he hasn't had an AC3 trailer. Even worse is that he had an AC:R trailer which had that weird platformy thing.

AltairCBM
10-10-2012, 01:44 AM

I'm with you. When I first played AC1, I felt the only good resolution to the story would be in the present day. Too bad Ubi(not the developers though) disagrees.

Assassin_M
10-10-2012, 01:47 AM

Connor*

I suck, I know

maxerx180
10-10-2012, 01:55 AM
You know I just hate how I've heared people talk about wanting to go to Victorian London or the Russian Revolution even though they are very modern but seem to have a problem playing as Desmond.

PS: Not talking about people here just talking in general.

AltairCBM
10-10-2012, 01:57 AM
You know I just hate how I've heared people talk about wanting to go to Victorian London or the Russian Revolution even though they are very modern but seem to have a problem playing as Desmond.

PS: Not talking about people here just talking in general.

Yeah, I see that too. Desmond wouldn't suck, it'd just be difficult. Here's how I look at it: for four games I've been waiting for a Desmond only game, hoping it would happen and all our time as him would pay off. And now because of people who think a modern AC would somehow be like CoD, Splinter Cell, or GTA(even though the only one that makes sense is Splinter Cell) and now we only get 20% of what's supposed to be his big last hoorah.

Assassin_M
10-10-2012, 01:59 AM
Yeah, I see that too. Desmond wouldn't suck, it'd just be difficult. Here's how I look at it: for four games I've been waiting for a Desmond only game, hoping it would happen and all our time as him would pay off. And now because of people who think a modern AC would somehow be like CoD, Splinter Cell, or GTA(even though the only one that makes sense is Splinter Cell) and now we only get 20% of what's supposed to be his big last hoorah.

And sacrifice Connor ? Tree running ? Frontier ? Hunting ? Homestead ? Naval battles ? Tomahawks ? Swords ?

No Thanks

AltairCBM
10-10-2012, 02:02 AM
And sacrifice Connor ? Tree running ? Frontier ? Hunting ? Homestead ? Naval battles ? Tomahawks ? Swords ?

No Thanks

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't give up the game we're getting now, but I'm sure Ubi could have made new features just as cool for a different time period.

Assassin_M
10-10-2012, 02:05 AM
Oh no, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't give up the game we're getting now, but I'm sure Ubi could have made new features just as cool for a different time period.

Look I do not oppose Modern Settings for Assassins Creed and Im sure Ubisoft can make an amazing game with a Modern exclusive setting (Watch Dogs) but what started AC is the Historical aspect, they cant just drop it now..

I do not agree with people saying "I wont work" because it will..

AltairCBM
10-10-2012, 02:07 AM
I'm lucky, I figured (this was last year) that if they did go back into the Animus, I'd want American Revolution the most. So I get both of the settings I wanted, even better than I expected they would be.

NewBlade200
10-10-2012, 02:15 AM
They cant make a fully Desmond AC anymore. After introducing Shaun in AC2 they realised that no matter what they did with Des, Shaun would always be better than him. By keeping the modern setting smaller than the historical setting they keep Assassin's Creed from turning into The Wonderful Misadventures of Shaun Hastings. The game would potentially destroy the industry due to the fact that Shaun's game would be better than everything that will ever be made again. And then they make a movie that ruins it

Assassin_M
10-10-2012, 02:17 AM
Wonderful Misadventures of Shaun Hastings.

Cartoon Network ? :|

AltairCBM
10-10-2012, 02:21 AM
They cant make a fully Desmond AC anymore. After introducing Shaun in AC2 they realised that no matter what they did with Des, Shaun would always be better than him. By keeping the modern setting smaller than the historical setting they keep Assassin's Creed from turning into The Wonderful Misadventures of Shaun Hastings. The game would potentially destroy the industry due to the fact that Shaun's game would be better than everything that will ever be made again. And then they make a movie that ruins it

They tried to make Shaun look cooler in AC3, but obviously something messed up...

NewBlade200
10-10-2012, 02:25 AM
They tried to make Shaun look cooler in AC3, but obviously something messed up...

I still haven't seen any Des pics. I don't wan't to know anything about him until I play it

AltairCBM
10-10-2012, 02:25 AM
I still haven't seen any Des pics. I don't wan't to know anything about him until I play it

Ok. I won't say anything else. Sorry if I already spoiled anything.

NewBlade200
10-10-2012, 02:35 AM
Didn't spoil it a bit

AltairCBM
10-10-2012, 02:36 AM
Didn't spoil it a bit

If a Dezzy trailer comes out, I'll go dark. I'm going dark next week though anyways, so :)

Evenesque
10-10-2012, 02:37 AM
I'll take Connor's story with the current format over just Desmond and his almost-story any day. Connor is infinitely more interesting that Desmond Dragaplot

NewBlade200
10-10-2012, 02:38 AM
If a Dezzy trailer comes out, I'll go dark. I'm going dark next week though anyways, so :)

Same here. Too many spoilerish screenshots already. Dont wanna know what this place will look like a week from release

AltairCBM
10-10-2012, 02:39 AM
Same here. Too many spoilerish screenshots already. Dont wanna know what this place will look like a week from release

Especially when it comes out a day before in some countries...

NewBlade200
10-10-2012, 02:43 AM
Especially when it comes out a day before in some countries...

Or the fact that some shops sell the games early

AltairCBM
10-10-2012, 02:45 AM
Or the fact that some shops sell the games early

Yep. I preordered this two days after the official announcement...I'm not letting some tool who gets the game early because he's a rich brat ruin it for me.

NewBlade200
10-10-2012, 02:49 AM
And guys in Game would sometimes get stuff a while early. I saw a guy playing the Vita a week before it actually came out

xXRyzonXx
10-10-2012, 04:30 AM
I think if AC3 just had the present.. it would loose some of its charm.

Krayus Korianis
10-10-2012, 08:45 AM
I prefer Desmond over the other characters, simply because it's his story, not anyone else's.

Assassin_M
10-10-2012, 08:47 AM
I prefer Desmond over the other characters, simply because it's his story, not anyone else's.
Its not Shaun`s ?

Krayus Korianis
10-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Its not Shaun`s ?
Nope. Because who do we meet in Assassin's Creed? Desmond Miles. Who narrates the story at the beginning in every subsequent game? Desmond Miles.

projectpat06
10-10-2012, 09:07 AM
sarcasm is tough for some people to grasp. it's ok

Krayus Korianis
10-10-2012, 09:09 AM
sarcasm is tough for some people to grasp. it's ok

I actually grasped it. It's ok to think otherwise. I'm just pointing out that I prefer Desmond's story over every other character's story.

Assassin_M
10-10-2012, 09:16 AM
I actually grasped it. It's ok to think otherwise. I'm just pointing out that I prefer Desmond's story over every other character's story.
Ah Well, your position is understandable...

Shaun`s only structural story was how a Giant Italian wanted to eat him.

Chariflame
10-10-2012, 01:40 PM
I'm not gonna lie, I'm dissapointed that ACIII isn't entirely, or at least mostly, set in Modern-day. Desmond's story is the one part of AC I care the most about, and the poor guy really does deserve his own game. It was always a general assumption that he'd get his own game in the end.

But I entirely understand why this hasn't happened. The main selling point of the series is the historical background, and while an all-Modern game would make quite a few fans ecstatic, the game most likely wouldn't sell as well or get as good reception overall from the public.

kuled2012
10-10-2012, 01:43 PM
It's just that modern day now have those boring guns :(

pacmanate
10-10-2012, 01:47 PM
It's just that modern day now have those boring guns :(

True! All shooters are relatively the same, you aim, and you shoot.

True_Assassin92
10-10-2012, 02:48 PM
True! All shooters are relatively the same, you aim, and you shoot.

You must be a genius :p

ThiagoRichter
10-10-2012, 05:10 PM
I agree 100%. I REALLY enjoy the modern day storyline, I find it really intriguing.
I would hate if at one point they decide to exclude the modern day setting. It really is what makes AC different, even though it may not be it's flagship attractive. I think the formula works, and I would even enjoy playing more (not necessarily doing any assassinations and all, but more story, info, investigation, anything, as long as it doesn't become a **** shooter) in the modern day setting. I, for one, am really looking forward to playing as Desmond in ACIII. Not because of Des himself, but because of the story.
And c'mon, the modern day setting gave us LOADS of really interesting characters: Lucy (excluding the whole Revelations DLC shenanigans), Vidic, Rebecca, Shaun.

Slayer_WTF
10-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Why people think "AC in the modern way = TPS"? *facepalm*

Assassin_M
10-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Indeed..

Just look at Batman..

Slayer_WTF
10-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Indeed..

Just look at Batman..

Yes, even if Desmond is not strong and equipped like Batman. :)

There are many ways to make it not a shooter to 100%.

pacmanate
10-10-2012, 05:57 PM

I don't... it could be an FPS D:

hemza0076
10-10-2012, 08:32 PM
I'm pretty sure Abstergo want's Desmond alive right ? so they probably wont shoot him because they need him alive. so there probably wouldn't be any guns.

Dieinthedark
10-10-2012, 08:57 PM
My hope is that AC3 has plenty of Desmond content. It is his story first and foremost after all. He deserves some attention this time around, seriously.

LoyalACFan
10-10-2012, 09:16 PM
My hope is that AC3 has plenty of Desmond content. It is his story first and foremost after all. He deserves some attention this time around, seriously.

Expect roughly 2.5 hours. They said he's getting about the equivalent time as 2.5 Connor sequences, which supposedly take an hour each.

LoyalACFan
10-10-2012, 09:18 PM
I'm pretty sure Abstergo want's Desmond alive right ? so they probably wont shoot him because they need him alive. so there probably wouldn't be any guns.

That's a really lame excuse though. If Desmond becomes a major threat, it would be stupid for them not to try and kill him. I mean, let's say you're Vidic, and Desmond is charging at you with a knife. What do you tell your guards? "Don't shoot, we need him alive?"

ApexMandalorian
10-10-2012, 10:47 PM

It most certainly would be a TPS, or a Batman-like fighting game with everyone else using guns. Do any of you guys remember the part in AC1 where there's that attempted, but failed, rescue of Desmond? The one heard over radio? All you hear are guns going off, what sound like submachine guns. Yeah, BS there wouldn't be guns. Any smart person knows that you really can't go up against guns. You can try to go the whole military stealth route to avoid getting shot, making the game like Splinter Cell, but in the end you'll get shot and die if you're trying to be an Assassin of the past. If anything, here's how a real Assassin would fight: Guns would replace the swords and ranged weapons. Desmond would still have a knife and a hidden blade for assassinations. But once there was a big fight, like what you do MOST of the time in Assassin's Creed (why I wish MP wasn't just assassinating people), you'd pull out those guns and take cover. It'd turn into a cover shooter with the same assassination gameplay. And it'd wouldn't go well because it'd mimic other cover shooters like GRFS or Splinter Cell.

pacmanate
10-10-2012, 10:49 PM
Expect roughly 2.5 hours. They said he's getting about the equivalent time as 2.5 Connor sequences, which supposedly take an hour each.

1.5 to 2 not 2.5 sequences. Also remember they exaggerate timings as always. I am guessing an hour and a half tops.

shanethebouncer
10-10-2012, 10:59 PM
I don't think we were all captivated by Assassins Creed by thinking" oh, maybe this will have a cool sci-fi backdrop to it". We bought it for the history and to be transported into another time. Of course that's only my opinion.

ApexMandalorian
10-10-2012, 11:23 PM
I don't think we were all captivated by Assassins Creed by thinking" oh, maybe this will have a cool sci-fi backdrop to it". We bought it for the history and to be transported into another time. Of course that's only my opinion.

A pretty spot on opinion too. I honestly think that, given two extremes, of having an all-present game with TWCB and PoE, OR, having an all-past game, with the player being the one reliving memories w/ no reference to TWCB or PoE, the latter game would sell much better and be far more intriguing. The latter can stand on its own without substantial support from the modern-day story. The former cannot stand on its own. The past gives the present context and meaning.

DeSabellis
10-11-2012, 01:54 AM
The past gives the present context and meaning.

Does it though? There is no temporal order when it comes to dualism- dualism requires two parts, plain and simple. Assassins Creed would be nothing special without a driven narrative. Remember Eternal Darkness on the Gamecube? Now that is an example of multiple stories coming together to make an amazing game- harmony achieved it and story telling drove it.

I'm with you that the past part of the game drives the series to an extent, but only because they made the decision to focus on it more. If Desmond had been focused upon more, people would have liked it more if it proved to be a good game. The truth most likely revolves around the inability to design a good game in the present time without it devolving into a shooter. At the time of AC1, they were pressured to release a game in two years. That's not a lot of time to develop a whole new engine to and method of game play.

Desmond has potential. The series can easily expand it's modern narrative, and based upon the multiplayer storyline, it dosen't look like they plan on getting rid of Abstergo either. It's really not that hard to imagine a close combat system and ranged system that still has free-running. In fact, I believe we will see that in AC3 for Desmond. Honestly, the analogy that the creative director used for Luke Skywalker and Desmond works great. No one liked Desmond in AC1 or much in AC2. We had a teaser in ACB, and finally AC3 will be the culmination of all of his previous learnings. Luke Skywalker was horrible in A New Hope, but was the greatest character in the Return of the Jedi; we all loved him after that.